Does the Canal Expansion impact the experience?

Nieuwcruiser

Frankly I would think it would be interesting. Of course now I have been at the Canal twice so I would be curious as to the progress they are making. For first time cruisers it might be a eye sore.

marilyn

Most of what is visable from the Canal is just north of Pedro Miguel Locks as you enter Gaillard Cut. Visually at this time it has a very low impact. Construction on the Atlantic side will basically not be able to be seen from Canal waters. As noted above the Cut has been widened over the years, so there is evidence of recent and not so recent excavation.

There has been continuing work on Galliard Cut and other places along the Canal over the years . . . long before the Expansion was approved. Maintenance of the Canal is an ongoing process. They are always dredging, always moving earth due to heavy rains, etc. All of this makes the passage much more interesting! Most of the initial work on the expansion that looks different from the ongoing work, isn't visible from the ship.

Check out the Pan Canal Web site www.pancanal.com for information and diagrams of the expansion project. To get the most out of your trip, read David Mc Cullough's PATH BETWEEN THE SEAS. I've also posted some pics that you might find interesting at http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/cruising-through-the-panama-canal/ . There is also an interesting "fly through" time-lapse of a trip through the Canal in you search "Panama Canal" on YouTube.

Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

We transitted the Canal last Fall, from LA to Miami. The widening will not in any way impact on your enjoyment of the passage. Actually it's a great way to "get up close and personal" to the real workings of the Canal.

Enjoy the cruise...I have a feeling we will be repeating this voyage as well some day - perhaps after the widening is finished so we can see the completed project.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the links--have read the book before our last trip & it is well worth it.

My questions are: when will the project actually be completed & operational & how will that impact the scheduling of ships through the canal.

We hope to do a full transit in 09 or 2010 but not sure how the changes will affect the experience..I assume many more ships will be fitting through- & the cruislines will switch to the big ones to our regret. Briliance , on whihc we did a partial transit just made it width wise but it was a great experience..

Thanks for the info--

can someone clarify--will there be more parallel locks& if so will they be wider for bigger ships--not sure if they are just adding more locks or also making it accessible for bigger ships or both -- Right now there are long lines--but well worth it! & at least the width of ships is limited

The Canal expansion program is the addition of another set of locks. These locks will be near but not next to the present locks. They will be both wider and longer than the present locks. Is this what you were asking?

• 1 month later...

Yes, thanks for the info...-so that means bigger cruise ships will be making the trip eventually --hope we can get our full transit trip done before that--seems crowded enough in the ports now...

Archived