Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

It is about a $35 taxi ride from the airport to Canada Place.

We stayed at the Best Western Downtown. It isn't as fancy as the Pan Pacific but it is much cheaper (we paid about $160). It was very nice with very comfortable beds. It is only a $25 taxi ride from the airport and they have a free shuttle to Canada Place which you can reserve the night before.

Edited by judynorth

We stayed at the Best Western Downtown. It isn't as fancy as the Pan Pacific but it is much cheaper (we paid about $160). It was very nice with very comfortable beds. It is only a $25 taxi ride from the airport and they have a free shuttle to Canada Place which you can reserve the night before.

Do you know if they have the free shuttle to Ballentyne? I'm going to assume that's where RCI will be going out of again in 2009.

I see a Best Western Chateau Granville, is that the one?

Nancy

No - that is a different Best Western - a couple of blocks from the Best Western Downtown which should have a Drake st address - the Chateau Granville is snack dab in the middle of the entertainment district - like 20 pubs and a 2000 patrons in a three block radius which gets very noisy on weekends or after hockey or football games.

Hope this helps - as I have mentioned in previous posts I can see the Best Western Downtown from my condo window - there is also a White Spot restaurant which is celebrating their 80 anniversary this year.

Cheers

Dennis

Nancy, the name of the hotel is actually "Best Western Downtown". It was a convenient location for us since we were there for a few days before our cruise. The price was very good for Vancouver too. The staff were very helpful and it was quiet. We really liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

bumpity bump

I can't believe this thread got burried, a wealth of great information here.

I'm looking for options/prices for transport from Ballentine to YVR for 4 of us plus luggage. Cruise line is offering $36 per person and I'm guessing they'll tack some tax/fees on too. I'm sure I'll find something in here but if anyone has any suggestions for us offhand, I'd love to hear them.

I found LimoJet Gold for either $45 or $53 for up to 6 people.

Much better than the $144 the cruise line offered, unless Celebrity is going to handle our luggage - do they do this? I'll give them a call and find out. I know some lines have a service where you can basically bypass customs but I wasn't sure how that worked or if Celebrity even offered that.

Any other towncar services I should be looking into?

Does anyone know the name of the shuttle that goes from the airport to Canada Place to board our cruise ship? We are staying at the Hampton Inn at the airport and took the shuttle a few years ago, but now I can't remember the name of the company that operates the shuttle. Any ideas on the cost of the shuttle?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Does anyone know the name of the shuttle that goes from the airport to Canada Place to board our cruise ship? We are staying at the Hampton Inn at the airport and took the shuttle a few years ago, but now I can't remember the name of the company that operates the shuttle. Any ideas on the cost of the shuttle?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

If you're travelling in 2009, It's called the 'Airporter' http://yvrairporter.com/

If you're travelling in 2010, the new subway line will do exactly the same thing (faster; 25 mins and cheaper; $3.75)

Normally Bernie and Vikki, who started this thread would be quick to answer this, but they're in the middle of a three cruise marathon <lucky bums>

Edited by scottbee

I am cruising out of Vancouver on May 27th, but flying in at 7pm on the 26th and will be staying at the Hampton Inn at 111 Robson Street. Luckily my cruisemate works for Hampton...and we are getting employee rate...woohoo! Is this a good area? I also think it is pretty close to Canada place for the next day. I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful city, but just not sure how much I could see in my one morning there before we cruise out.....

Judy;

You are very close to Yaletown which is just full of trendy restaurants some of which have a tendency to come & go (what’s new in the restaurant business). I am about 4 yrs out of date with the restaurants in Yaletown because I am now retired but here are some links and some of the one that I recognize and have been to over the years are:

Rosie’s on Robson

Yaletown Brewing

Kettle of Fish

La Terrazza

You certainly won’t go hungry in Yaletown!

http://www.dinehere.ca/results.asp?l=19

GREAT link, thank you!!

The cheapest way would be to take our transit system's Sky train - which is our rapid transit - there is a station right at the train station and 4 stops later your are at Waterfront station which is next door to Canada Place - cost would be $2.50 per person but with 20 people and luggage it probably wouldn't be practical - It is only around two miles from the station to Canada Place - it is about $10.00 for a cab - most of our cabs are smaller - people 3 people + luggage Max - one of our experts on this is Putterdude who is away on a Panama cruise but he should be back on these boards shortly as I think is cruise is just about over.

Limo would probably be the best bet - doubt if a small mini-bus would only want to transport you such a short distance - perhaps some of the other locals have some other suggestions.

Hope this helps somewhat

Cheers

Dennis

We are staying at the Sylvia Hotel in late May precruise for two nights. I know it isn't fancy but I understand it has a terrific location. CAn anyone tell more about the surroundings, places to eat, things to do within walking distance (other than Stanley Park which I know is right next door) the hotel itself etc.? How far is it from Canada Place in terms of a cab ride on day of cruise? There are four of us coming from the airport- should we get a van type cab? How much can we expect to pay? Thanks for all the info

We are staying at the Sylvia Hotel in late May precruise for two nights. I know it isn't fancy but I understand it has a terrific location. CAn anyone tell more about the surroundings, places to eat, things to do within walking distance (other than Stanley Park which I know is right next door) the hotel itself etc.? How far is it from Canada Place in terms of a cab ride on day of cruise? There are four of us coming from the airport- should we get a van type cab? How much can we expect to pay? Thanks for all the info

You have made a great choice of hotel, it has been family owned for three generations and I am sure that you will enjoy it. With four of you, you will need a van-cab and you will just have to wait for one to come along. Your cab fare from YVR to the Silvia will be about $35 and from there to Canada Place about $12. Dinner you may want to try the Boathouse which is a casual seafood restaurant at the corner of Denman & Beach, a block and a half from the hotel, the Fish House in Stanley Park (take a taxi) and any number of small eateries on Denman. You can walk to Granville Island from the Silvia, Robson Street and the Downtown area.

Thanks, Ut; it was a terrific cruise the highlight being the Central American countries of Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Quatemala, their people and the 16th century colonial architecture. You have a great time on your cruise. We are doing 14 days in the southern Caribbean next January and as of this morning started working with our TA for a 14 day east & west Caribbean for Jan 2011.

Thanks, Ut; it was a terrific cruise the highlight being the Central American countries of Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Quatemala, their people and the 16th century colonial architecture. You have a great time on your cruise. We are doing 14 days in the southern Caribbean next January and as of this morning started working with our TA for a 14 day east & west Caribbean for Jan 2011.

Hi Frank. Welcome home. I'm so glad you had a wonderful cruise. We had fun on the Golden to Hawaii, but we missed all of our great friends from last year! We will actually be cruising from Vancouver this June. We are going to do B2B cruises on the Diamond, so I'm sure I will have many questions for you in the next few months. We have never been to Vancouver so I will be counting on your good advice.

Hi Frank. Welcome home. I'm so glad you had a wonderful cruise. We had fun on the Golden to Hawaii, but we missed all of our great friends from last year! We will actually be cruising from Vancouver this June. We are going to do B2B cruises on the Diamond, so I'm sure I will have many questions for you in the next few months. We have never been to Vancouver so I will be counting on your good advice.

Hi Mary;

Happy NEW YEAR!

We missed you and your family this year as well....so many cruises and so little time!:) I would encourage you to look seriously at the Panama trip for the future, it was just great and would be a real education for your children if one would tie into vacation time. I have submittted a review which if accepted should be up in the next few days.

As for your Alaska trip....you bet myself together with my buddy Ut and rest of the Vancouver crew will be delighted to help you every which way we can.

As much as we have enjoyed the Golden and the Coral....the Diamond is still our favourite (CDN spelling), we can't wait to sail on her again. About an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge you will sail in front of our home in Sechelt on the starboard side....we will be watching for you on the north bound leg but it will be a real test of our friendship to get up at 5 am to see you sail by southbound;).

If there is any way to get our e-mail address or phone numbers to you other than thru this public forum I will be happy to provide them to you.

Cheers;

Sailing Carnival Spirit May 5 roundtrip Vancouver. Flying into Vancouver on the 5th have a reservation at the Blue Horizon for the night before our cruise.

Since we will not arrive in Vancouver until 7 pm that evening I am looking at taking some time the morning our cruise departs to explore Stanley Park then head to the ship.

When we return on the 13th (a Wed) I plan on booking a 5:30 Vancouver to SEA departure flight so we can have some time in Vancouver, I would love to go to Capilano Suspension Bridge, is this a realistic time frame to visit or is there something else in Vancouver that we should not miss?

i am also considering the double decker on/off bus tour, I really want to maximize my time in Vancouver.

We have red eyes home out of SEA at 10 pm that evening so I figured getting backt o SEA around 6-7 pm is a safe time frame.

Thanks.

Susan

I did a google walking directions from Blue Horizon to Canada Place and it said 14 minutes, it this realistic if the weather is good?

We will only have one back each on wheels and we are both healthy and love to walk.

We are planning walking tours in all our ports of call.

I also read somewhere that there is locker luggage storage at Canada Place is this true?

Susan

Sailing Carnival Spirit May 5 roundtrip Vancouver. Flying into Vancouver on the 5th have a reservation at the Blue Horizon for the night before our cruise.

Since we will not arrive in Vancouver until 7 pm that evening I am looking at taking some time the morning our cruise departs to explore Stanley Park then head to the ship.

When we return on the 13th (a Wed) I plan on booking a 5:30 Vancouver to SEA departure flight so we can have some time in Vancouver, I would love to go to Capilano Suspension Bridge, is this a realistic time frame to visit or is there something else in Vancouver that we should not miss?

i am also considering the double decker on/off bus tour, I really want to maximize my time in Vancouver.

We have red eyes home out of SEA at 10 pm that evening so I figured getting backt o SEA around 6-7 pm is a safe time frame.

Your ship will tie up about 7 am but as you are and "independent" traveller you likely won't be off the ship until about 9 am. You then need to get your baggage and clear Canadian customs so allow 30 mins for that. So you probably won't be out on the street until 9:30 earliest. Your trip to Seattle is considered and International flight so you will need to be at YVR a min of 2 hrs pre flight time to clear US customs and secruity as well the trip from downtown to the airport in about 35 mins so you need to be leaving the downtown area about 2:30. So that allows you about 5 hrs of touring time, yes you can get over to the suspension bridge and back via transit...allow 45 mins each way but you are starting to push the envelope a bit. I would be inclined to recommend one of the HOHO services as this will give you a much better flavour of Vancouver rather than a single shot to the bridge and back.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

www.vancouvertrolley.com

If there is any way to get our e-mail address or phone numbers to you other than thru this public forum I will be happy to provide them to you.

Cheers;

Hi Frank. I'm going to take a leap of faith and spell out our email address. You can reach us at channel islands ata at hotmail dot com. Just put it all together and you have our address.

Ok, I've read through this thread and now my head is spinning! :o

We are driving to port from the US and would like to be able to find a hotel where we could stay the night before and leave our car at while we cruise for the week. I've found some near the airport that allow that but am unable to find anything downtown. The reason I'm looking is I don't want to pay for a hotel room AND pay for parking at the pier. I'd rather pay a little more for the room and park there and shuttle to the pier. Does such an animal exist?