Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I'm coming up to Vancouver this weekend to make my quarterly contribution to the Canadian economy ;)

I might want to cozy up to the bar and watch the sunset, so I guess I may need to know what time sunset actually is. Right now, here in the mountains of Utah, it finally gets dark around 8pm. Yes, I know it's forecast for clouds and rain (figures, after all the nice weather there lately). But, a sundowner is still a nice activity.

Oh after all the bad financial news today I hope you come prepared to make a significant contribution.:D Official sunset on the weekend shoud be about 7:20 but of course it is twilight for 30 to 40 mins afterwards.

Cruise next summer. Choice is

Westin Bayshore

Westin Grand

Sheraton Vancover Wall Street

Staying two nights. Based on reading the posts in this thread it looks like all 3 are in safe, reasonable locations.

Any preference? How long a walk to Stanley Park, a Sky Train Station or the Sea Bus waterfront station. Obviously Westin Bayshore is walking distance to Stanley Park but the other distances aren't as clear from the maps.

Every hotel site seems to imply you're a short walk from everything.

It looks like mass transit does a good job getting to popular destinations. I can't see any reason to spend the money for a bus trip. Looks like the bus won't save much time vs public transportation but give me the flexibility to stay longer or leave sooner.

You definitely should have not sold the house in Canmore, it would be worth a ton right now with all those rich Alberta oil people looking for places to play in the Rockies.

Well, I had to sell it - divorce, and all :-( But, we made a tidy profit on the sale. I love Canmore. It's so much like Park City was back in the 80s. It's not just the Alberta oil people looking for places to play, it's a bunch of the richies from Ontario, plus a boatload of Europeans. Many of the houses in the neighborhood we were building in were from Great Britain and Austria.

I guess my contributions to Canada will be smaller, just my quarterly visits now.

Cruise next summer. Choice is

Westin Bayshore

Westin Grand

Sheraton Vancover Wall Street

Staying two nights. Based on reading the posts in this thread it looks like all 3 are in safe, reasonable locations.

Any preference? How long a walk to Stanley Park, a Sky Train Station or the Sea Bus waterfront station. Obviously Westin Bayshore is walking distance to Stanley Park but the other distances aren't as clear from the maps.

Every hotel site seems to imply you're a short walk from everything.

It looks like mass transit does a good job getting to popular destinations. I can't see any reason to spend the money for a bus trip. Looks like the bus won't save much time vs public transportation but give me the flexibility to stay longer or leave sooner.

A very difficult decision to be sure. Each has it advantages locationally, however all are in good safe locations. Quite correct, the Bayshore is closest to Stanely Park but is some west of everything else, however they do have a shuttle bus to take you around the downtown area. The Grand is just a tad east of things however I have stayed there is recent times and quite like it, you can walk to most downtown attractions. The Sheraton Wall Centre is the new baby on the block and is just a little south of things but not bad, it is kind of a pick'um but I think I would go with the Grand followed closely by the Sheraton. Unless you are using points, in that same price range you might care to look at the Sutton Place, Haytt Regency, the Four Seasons.

The downtown Vancouver core is very compacted so they are right about things being within walking distance.

The Westin Grand is closest to a Sky train station - all properties are about the same distance to Waterfront Station.

A better question is to ask yourself - what do I want to see during my stay.

The Bayshore is next door to the entrance to Stanley Park but is further from restaurants and shopping.

The Grand is located in the middle of the civic entertainment district with lots of eateries and the shopping of Robson St.

The Sheraton is located on the highest point of land in the downtown core so you get the best views from the rooms - it is half way between the shopping of Robson and Davie Streets and three blocks from the Granville entertainment district. Across the street from two of Vancouver's historic churches but also across from a busy inner city hospital.

I don't have a preference - perhaps some of the others will offer there opinions.

You don't say when you will be in Vancouver next year - if it is between mid-June and mid-September there is a free hop on hop off bus that runs in Stanley Park.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Well, I had to sell it - divorce, and all :-( But, we made a tidy profit on the sale. I love Canmore. It's so much like Park City was back in the 80s. It's not just the Alberta oil people looking for places to play, it's a bunch of the richies from Ontario, plus a boatload of Europeans. Many of the houses in the neighborhood we were building in were from Great Britain and Austria.

I guess my contributions to Canada will be smaller, just my quarterly visits now.

Good point, I tend to forget about the Europeans as I am not a skier and go to Canmore and the East Kootenays golfing in the summer when they are not much around or at least apparent.

I think I'll have enough Starwood points, otherwise I'll use Priceline. I'm willing to trade off exact location in exchange for saving a few dollars. Looking to spend some time in Stanley Park. Probably some combination of Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain and/or Lynn Canyon. It looks like bus/seabus service will get me to any of the popular attractions. I can't see any reason to rent a car or take a tour bus. Going next July so the free shuttle bus at Stanley Park should work.

It sounds like the city is more compact then the map seems to imply. How long is the walk from the Westin Grand to Stanley Park? Looks like that's the longest walk in the combination of attractions/hotels. Cities like NY, Washington DC and Las Vegas look compact on the map until you find out how long each block is. I don't mind walking.

Shopping and restaurants are a lower priority, although I'm sure I'll do both.

I think I'll have enough Starwood points, otherwise I'll use Priceline. I'm willing to trade off exact location in exchange for saving a few dollars. Looking to spend some time in Stanley Park. Probably some combination of Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain and/or Lynn Canyon. It looks like bus/seabus service will get me to any of the popular attractions. I can't see any reason to rent a car or take a tour bus. Going next July so the free shuttle bus at Stanley Park should work.

It sounds like the city is more compact then the map seems to imply. How long is the walk from the Westin Grand to Stanley Park? Looks like that's the longest walk in the combination of attractions/hotels.

Shopping and restaurants are a lower priority, although I'm sure I'll do both.

The walk from the Grand to Stanley Park would be about 20/30 mins. A fairly easy walk going but a bit up hill coming back however you can grab a bus along Georgia St. once out of the park that will take you within a block of the Grand.

This little google map might help you - it shows many of the hotels in downtown Vancouver and the three that you mentioned on are on it.

http://www.hotelsbythepier.com/index2.php?pier=vancouver-canada-place

Just place your cursor over the various red spots and you will find them.

I believe that the Grand has a downtown shuttle - have seen the van driving around so perhaps they might take you to the Bayshore and then walk to the park from there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Actually PUtt the rich Alberta oil people are buying in BC and Palm Springs!!!

Quite right, nothing that $30 a barrel oil won't fix though!:D

We have a lot of Albertans here on the Sunshine Coast and on Vancouver Is. I commented to my son about the number in the Comox Valley this winter and he tells me that a lot of oil workers live there but commute to Calgary or Edmonton via WestJet put in their time in the fields and return. We see a lot of Alberta plates in AZ where we have a winter home but for the most part they tend to be RVers.

Like Ut, I have only seen there buses around. However I did do a quick check with the Better Business Bureau of Vancouver and while they are not members of same, they do not appear to have any complaints registered against them....if this gives you any comfort.

Funny PD - I also went to the BBB site but couldn't find a listing for them - ah great minds think alike.

Cheers and talk to everyone on Sunday as tomorrow it is the dinner and dance cruise on the Star so any early start to get down to Canada Place to geta bus to Seattle.

Cheers

Dennis

Actually PUtt the rich Alberta oil people are buying in BC and Palm Springs!!!

That explains a lot....our local airport John Wayne/Orange County is trying to fill the vacancy left by Aloha (SNA was their mainland hub). Air Canada and West Jet are both top contenders, they are both considering flying to YVR and YYC. I couldn't figure out why there was a big market between Calgary and So Cal.

That explains a lot....our local airport John Wayne/Orange County is trying to fill the vacancy left by Aloha (SNA was their mainland hub). Air Canada and West Jet are both top contenders, they are both considering flying to YVR and YYC. I couldn't figure out why there was a big market between Calgary and So Cal.

I suspect that the reason that John Wayne might be of interest to Air Canada and West Jet would be Disneyland, etc. West Jet does fly to PSP out of YVR & YYC on a seasonal basis (Oct - May) and both Air Canada and Alaska service PSP out of YVR but not on a direct basis. Plus by merely crossing the border to Bellingham, WA, Vancouver area residents can fly directly to PSP on Allegiant and their pricing makes it pretty attractive to many. I have no idea how much the cruise lines contribute to the load but Air Canada offers a multitude of non-stops to LAX on a daily basis. However it will be interesting to see if one of the Canadian carriers does pick up some of the vacant slots.

in case I can't get a PL or Starwood points reservation. I checked BFT and it looks like many (most?) of the successful PL bids were made a few weeks in advance of the stay. My DW won't be happy not having any reservation months in advace, let alone weeks.

Days Inn Vancover Downtown or the Ramada Downtown (West Pender Street) seem reasonable choices. Failing Starwood I'd hope to get something better on PL for $125-$170.

Are they equivalent or is one a better safety net? I'm looking for 2 nights, July 09.

Both the Days Inn and that Ramada are older properties that that were brought up a number of years ago and remodeled and upgraded. The Days Inn would be in a slightly better location in regards to entertainment and restaurants. Both are located more in the financial core than the tourist core.

In Vancouver once the cruise ships start arriving in May the hotel prices spike up to full summer rates and stay that way until late September.

Tourism is down here in Vancouver and there has been talk of a bigger push to get the Americans back to our great city - so I would wait a while and see if there aren't some special hotel promos for next year.

Also is your cruise line offering any pre or post cruise hotels - sometimes there pricing can be favorable.

Just my Sunday morning thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Dennis

On Priceline for that budget you should be able to score something like the Hyatt Regency, Blue Horizon, Pacific Pallasades, Best Western - Downtown, on Drake St.; all of these are good properties in good locations albeit the BW is a little south of things, they are also very popular with cruisers. But you should be able to get into one of the Westons or the Sheraton with your points. As Ut has suggested, time is on your side.:)

I'll be using Marriott Rewards points for my one night in Vancouver. Which one is nicest? Restaurants within walking distance? Anything else I should consider?

All three are good properties but I would be inclined to go to the one down on W. Hastings St., the Pinnacle or the Renaissance with a nod to the Renaissance as it is on the north side of street with much better views of the harbour, the north shore mountains and Stanely Park which are the heart and soul views of Vancouver. Great restaurant close by would be Aqua Riva, about 4 blocks to the east on Cordova, just east of Canada Place, or more of a pub theme would be Steamworks or if you want to walk into Gastown then the Water Street Cafe.

http://aquariva.com/

http://www.steamworks.com/transcontinental/index.html

http://www.letsgofordinner.com/Vancouver.cfm?detail=181