Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks for the info that is exactly what I was looking for and thanks for the links as well!

Any comments on Blue Horizon and the distance from the hotel to Canada Place?

Susan

The Blue Horizon is about 8 or so blocks from Canada Place, a little bit down hill as you go towards CP and a little up hill in the other direction. The hotel is a solid 3 to 3.5* and is very poplular amongst cruisers. It puts you in the heart of the fashionable shops of Robson, you can walk to the Art Gallery, Pacific Centre, trendy Yaletown (sort of a Soho neighborshood) or even into historical Gastown. Just a great central location.

Ok, I've read through this thread and now my head is spinning! :o

We are driving to port from the US and would like to be able to find a hotel where we could stay the night before and leave our car at while we cruise for the week. I've found some near the airport that allow that but am unable to find anything downtown. The reason I'm looking is I don't want to pay for a hotel room AND pay for parking at the pier. I'd rather pay a little more for the room and park there and shuttle to the pier. Does such an animal exist?

Sorry to my knowledge the are no hotels in the downtown area that offer free parking, all will be in the $18 to $20 per night. The airport area is your best bet. There is a local chain called Accent Inns that do offer stay and park packages and may just offer a free shuttle. The have a property out by the airport and another in Brunaby....kind of a pick um from a locational point of view.

www.accentinns.com/

We will be staying in the Hampton Inn on Robson the night before our cruise in May. The morning before the cruise I would love to check out the Granville Island that I have been reading about. It sounds like a great place. Is that close to the area of town we will be in? How accessible is Canada Place from our hotel (if we are able to leave luggage there) or from Granville Island. What is a good time to start arriving for embarkation?

Ok, I've read through this thread and now my head is spinning! :o

We are driving to port from the US and would like to be able to find a hotel where we could stay the night before and leave our car at while we cruise for the week. I've found some near the airport that allow that but am unable to find anything downtown. The reason I'm looking is I don't want to pay for a hotel room AND pay for parking at the pier. I'd rather pay a little more for the room and park there and shuttle to the pier. Does such an animal exist?

I can't think of a single hotel that offers anywhere near free parking in the downtown area. Vancouver's downtown is very condensed and parking is definitely at a premium. The cruise parking is also expensive, around $18/day.

We will be staying in the Hampton Inn on Robson the night before our cruise in May. The morning before the cruise I would love to check out the Granville Island that I have been reading about. It sounds like a great place. Is that close to the area of town we will be in? How accessible is Canada Place from our hotel (if we are able to leave luggage there) or from Granville Island. What is a good time to start arriving for embarkation?

First, you'll probably want to double check the calendar for the port of Vancouver and ensure you're docking at Canada Place. There's another cruise down 2 miles east called Ballantyne, which for 2008 was the home of RCLL/Celebrity.

Granville Island; would be a great idea for a nice breakfast at the public market. Most interesting way to get there is to walk SW down Beattie street to the foot of Davie street and catch the harbour ferry (marked as Yaletown on their map) straight to granville island. Either that or a cab, it's a short distance ($10 ish).

Hampton Inn -> Canada Place is easy any way you want. To walk it's about a dozen blocks, fairly level. By transit, walk two blocks NE on Beattie and grab a Waterfront bound Skytrain (the subway) for $2.50 get off three station later at Waterfront and you're at Canada Place. Left off train, up one escallator, turn right, up 2nd escallator and you're staring at the back of a cruise ship (Skytrain station -> cruise ship is now less distance than you'll probably go from cabin to dining room). Again, a taxi will cost $10 tops.

Hampton Inn -> Ballantyne. Probably a $12 taxi ride, it's really the only way. In the very industrial run down part of downtown.

This map has all your landmarks on it for the above info;

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004615a3660d2384794d&ll=49.283428,-123.108587&spn=0.031074,0.090981&z=14

Will have a port day (Canada Place) in Vancouver, early May. Love the city and have been several times and done/seen most of the city areas more than once. Haven't been to Grouse Mountain. What's the easiest way to get there? Only go if it's a clear day? Any other thoughts? If not, we have no problem just enjoying the city again.

Since this is a turn around day for some (L.A. - Vancouver 3 day / Vancouver r.t. Alaska - 7 day), does this impact our getting on/off? We are doing full 10 day.

Also, at end of cruise, we have a 2 p.m. flight home - several ships in port that day. US Direct not available according to cruise line, even though our airline and ship are part of program; however signature express baggage service should be. Take cab/limo to airport or cruise line transfers? if we don't have bags, will be easier, but won't know for sure until onboard. Will have day pass for Maple Leaf Lounge at YVR.

thanks!

Also, at end of cruise, we have a 2 p.m. flight home - several ships in port that day. US Direct not available according to cruise line, even though our airline and ship are part of program; however signature express baggage service should be. Take cab/limo to airport or cruise line transfers? if we don't have bags, will be easier, but won't know for sure until onboard. Will have day pass for Maple Leaf Lounge at YVR.

thanks!

Will you be on HAL? We were on the Veendam last year and used the express baggage service (which is essentailly the same thing as US Direct). In order to use it you must take the ship's transfer to the airport since you will be "sealed" in the bus and will leave the ship and enter the airport through special exit/entrance. It worked great for us and was well worth the $$. It took us literally minutes to go through all the proceedures at the airport and we didn't have to mess with luggage at all. We put it in front of our door the night before and didn't have to deal with it again untill we arrived at our destination. Do it if you can! You sign up for it once you are on the ship. You will receive your boarding passes on the ship. It is a great service.

I have read here that with the airlines charging for extra baggage they are not allowing this service because there is no way to charge you for excess baggage. I hope this isn't the case because it is such a painless way to end a cruise.

Thanks Judy - yes, HAL. Interesting that Express Baggage turned out to be the same as US Direct - looks different in their written info. Hope it's the same for us. Do you remember what time you were transported to airport? Our airline doesn't charge for first two bags, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Thanks Judy - yes, HAL. Interesting that Express Baggage turned out to be the same as US Direct - looks different in their written info. Hope it's the same for us. Do you remember what time you were transported to airport? Our airline doesn't charge for first two bags, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

We ate breakfast in the dining room. We had to be in the lounge at about 8:30 (I think :confused:) and it seemed like forever before we got off the ship. We were through the airport and waiting for our flight by about 10:30 though. It was really quick! It was probably 15 minutes from the time that we reached the airport until we were at the gate. We had plenty of time to get a snack before our noon flight. You will have no access to the main terminal but there are plenty of food choices and gift/news shops in the area where you will be. That is a good time to spend any Canadian $$$ that you might have left (we got some for our pre-cruise stay in Vancouver and had some left; we did a B2B).

Will have a port day (Canada Place) in Vancouver, early May. Love the city and have been several times and done/seen most of the city areas more than once. Haven't been to Grouse Mountain. What's the easiest way to get there? Only go if it's a clear day? Any other thoughts? If not, we have no problem just enjoying the city again.

Since this is a turn around day for some (L.A. - Vancouver 3 day / Vancouver r.t. Alaska - 7 day), does this impact our getting on/off? We are doing full 10 day.

Grouse Mtn and the Capilano Skyride are quite available via transit and you may enjoy taking the Seabus over to the North Shore and transfering to a bus over there. At the bottom I am providing a link to our transit authority. You will note that the fare is $3.75 each way howver there is an all day pass available for $9.00. And yes this is only trip that you would want to do on a clear day.....if you can see the top of the mountain from the ship then I wouldn't bother going.

I am aslo providing a link to the port of Vancouver website which does a much better job this year explaining the US Direct program ....so yes you will have no problem with it.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

Thanks, Putterdude. Transportation to Grouse is not quite up yet for May, but am saving link and will use it when trip gets closer. I think you meant to say, that if we CAN'T see the mountain, not to go.

US Direct is our choice, if offered on our cruise.

Thanks, Putterdude. Transportation to Grouse is not quite up yet for May, but am saving link and will use it when trip gets closer. I think you meant to say, that if we CAN'T see the mountain, not to go.

US Direct is our choice, if offered on our cruise.

Quite right, sometimes I trip over my dyslexic fingers.:)

Edited by Putterdude

We are looking at the possible of renting a car from Seattle Airport and driving to a local hotel for the overnight stay that way we can have our own transportation do whatever we like. My question is, I do not want to drop the car off at the Vancouver Airport to far out of the way. I have found one spot that is 1185 West Georgia St, Vancouver. Now, if I drop the car off there can I walk to the Canada Place without the luggage since I will drop the lugagge off first?? I have tried on the internet to get the drop off location in Pan Pacific Hotel but with NO luck. So does Pan Pacific really have a drop off location for car rentals?? Is there any other locations that are close to Canada Place that I have over looked??

Thanks,

David

Yes you can walk from 1185 W. Georgia St but you will find most of the rental companies shuttle you from their downtown location to Canada Place as a matter of routine. If you decide to walk it is about 10 mins or so. Avis, Budget and National/Alamo have kiosks and I believe that National/Alamo have parking spaces there to return a car so I would contact the 1185 location directly and see if they will accept the car at Canada Place.

Edited by Putterdude

I belive the Hampton Inn on Robson Street, the Weston Grand and the Weston Bayshore as well as the Best Western -Downtown on Drake all have free shuttles. If you are staying downtown the taxi fare to Canada Place will only run about $10 -$12 so I wouldn't get too hung up on a free shuttle, I would get the hotel I want at the price I wanted then worry about the shuttle....if you get my drift.

Are there any downtown hotels which have free shuttle service to Canada Place?

Thanks.

We stayed at the Best Western Downtown and they provided a free shuttle to Canada Place. The price was good too - I believe it was about $130.

We are looking at the possible of renting a car from Seattle Airport and driving to a local hotel for the overnight stay that way we can have our own transportation do whatever we like. My question is, I do not want to drop the car off at the Vancouver Airport to far out of the way. I have found one spot that is 1185 West Georgia St, Vancouver. Now, if I drop the car off there can I walk to the Canada Place without the luggage since I will drop the lugagge off first?? I have tried on the internet to get the drop off location in Pan Pacific Hotel but with NO luck. So does Pan Pacific really have a drop off location for car rentals?? Is there any other locations that are close to Canada Place that I have over looked??

1185 W Georgia to Canada Place is a little over 1km (3/4 mile). In terms of closer car rental, Dollar rent-a-car have an office on Seymour just south of Hastings (about 3 blocks from Canada Place).

Also, are you sure you're cruising out of Canada Place? There are two cruise terminals in Vancouver, Canada Place and Ballantyne. A lot of people end up at Canada Place assuming that's where their ship goes from.

Vancouver Port cruise calendar is here: http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php? but no info yet for 2009

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to go from the port (Island Princess) to the Vancouver airport by taxi? Trying to determine if it is better to take a taxi or use Princess transfer.

Also, anyone know how long it takes to get through the "process" at the airport (immigration, security, etc.).

Thank you

Debr