Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Can anyone comment on the Samba Brazillian Steak House. I've only eaten at one other churrascaria, and that was in L.A., but I loved it. Any restaurant that just keeps on bringing me meat is a wonderful place.

I've eaten there a few times and really enjoyed it. The salad bar is amazing and, yes, the meat just keeps on coming. I believe they have entertainment at dinner times, and it's a reasonable cost. It can be a little tricky to find as it's downstairs - you can enter off Alberni or Burrard I think!

Maybe the answer is somewhere within the 1000 posts on this thread, but I couldn't find it.

Does anyone have information on hotels in the Vancouver Area that allow parking while on a cruise?

Almost all of the newer downtown hotels have parking, mostly underground. Few have stay, park and cruise packages but most would likely allow you to leave your car but plan that it will coast something in the order of $20 per day and check with them before booking. You will pay about the same rate at the cruise terminals. The one hotel that I am aware of the that does have a cruise package is the Coast Plaza in the West End of the city. There are some motel type properties out by the airport that have cruise packages but you may have to take a cab to the cruise terminal that will cost you about $35 each way.

Here are a couple of links for your convenience:

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_plaza/overview

http://www.accentinns.com/locations/airport.htm

You are most welcome,

Yes the Prince George was tied up at Britania Beach for many years and was the subject of bankruptcy and other litigation after Expo 86 when it was thought she could be used as a floating hotel. While at Britania Beach she had a fire aboard and was finally sold to the scrap yards of China. While being towed across the Pacific she decided she was going to have none of that and sank.

Vancouverites - do you know how far South Surrey is from Canada Place and are cabs available when one self assists and disembarks off the ship?

Thanks.

K.

South Surrey is down almost at the Peace Arch border Crossing and is a good hour's drive from Canada Place. I would only be guessing but I think a cab fare would run somewhere in the region $80, but yes cabs will be available if you uses express disembarkation. You might care to investigate if Quick Shuttle can drop you off in South Surrey and then take a cab from there.

http://quickcoach.com/

We will be staying at the Westin Grand in Vancouver on July 16 for the night and leaving out in the morning for our cruise. Is there anything to do within walking distance of our hotel?? Also, are there any places to eat that does not cost a fortune that is also within walking distance too??

Thanks,

David

You can take a walk along Robson St. and see all the shops and restaurants, visit Pacific Centre a large 2 level underground regional shopping centre, walk down to Gastown, walk into Yaletown or maybe even take a tour with Vanocouver Tours that has been specifically designed for cruisers on their morning of embarkation. You could walk to Stanley Park but you are starting to push the envelope a bit. You could walk by BC Place which will be the sit of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and General Motors Place the site of the Gold Medal Hockey event in the Olympics which will feature Canada and one other team that will have to settle for the silver medal ....again.Breakfasts...there is a McDonalds in Library Square, Starbucks almost across the street from your hotel, a Moxies family restaurant just west of the hotel on Georgia St. and a White Spot family restauant west of the hotel on Georgia at Seymour.

http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Edited by Putterdude

You can take a walk along Robson St. and see all the shops and restaurants, visit Pacific Centre a large 2 level underground regional shopping centre, walk down to Gastown, walk into Yaletown or maybe even take a tour with Vanocouver Tours that has been specifically designed for cruisers on their morning of embarkation. You could walk to Stanley Park but you are starting to push the envelope a bit. You could walk by BC Place which will be the sit of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and General Motors Place the site of the Gold Medal Hockey event in the Olympics which will feature Canada and one other team that will have to settle for the silver medal ....again.Breakfasts...there is a McDonalds in Library Square, Starbucks almost across the street from your hotel, a Moxies family restaurant just west of the hotel on Georgia St. and a White Spot family restauant west of the hotel on Georgia at Seymour.

Thanks Putterdude,

Where are the best places close to our hotel where I can get some sweaters and shirts with the olympic stuff on them???

David

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'll ask anyway. We are flying into Seattle then taking the train to Vancouver before embarking on our cruise. Will we need to declare any alcohol we are bring with us from the US? Is there a limit?

Also, if I purchase flowers in Seattle, will they allow me to take them into Canada?

I think I've done my research on about everything else ... just didn't know what restrictions (if any) Americans had entering Canada.

Thanks!

You will need to declare any alcohol that you are bringing into Canada, the limit is 1.14 litres of alcohol or 1.5 litres of wine per adult (in Canada, that is 19 years old) anything more than that is subject to duty. The last time I looked cut flowers where allowed into Canada...but they are something that you can purchase as inexpensively in Vancouver so I would be inclined to buy them once in Vancouver.:)

Thanks. Do you have any idea what the duty would amount to on the liquor. My husband only drinks Gentleman Jack or Jack Daniels Single Barrell, so we have to tote our own. Also, do we do a declarations/customs form on the train on the way into Canada?

My recollection is that as a US citizen you do not fill in a customs form, you will just make a verbal declaartion. No I do not know what the duty is but I will tell you that after paying duty and taxes if will prove cheaper to purchase anything over your exempted amount in Canada. You will also be able to purchase some in Alaska. Here is a link to the BC Liquor Stores listings of Bourbons.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products?keyword=Product+Name+or+Code&gKey=1&mKey=1&category=All&cKey=US&pp=20&pr=Any&bc_region=Any&by=name&asc=1&pg=1

Thank you so much! You would think he was going to die for 2 weeks if he doesn't have his Gentleman Jack!! One additional question: We are staying in Vancouver at the Hampton Inn & Suites downtown. Is there a liquor store nearby? We are coming in on Sunday so what time do they open on Monday?

Edited by cindep

Thanks to your link, I've answered all of my own questions. :) Looks like there are several within a mile of the hotel and one open on Sunday too! You have been so kind and a WEALTH of information!!

I have been trying differnt bourbons down here in AZ this winter, like Knob Creek and Makers and I keep coming back to JD's. I looked at the price of Gentleman Jack recently and shuddered; I have friends here who drink it with Coke.:(

The liquor store at Thurlow and Alberni is open on Sunday and it is not a bad walk from the Hampton....unless he is packing a case back.:)

Edited by Putterdude

Jack Daniels is made in Lynchburg Tennessee...about 30 miles from where I live, and I know this is not on the thread, just a little trivia for fun, and Lynchburg is in a dry county.

I always get a kick out of these "dry counties" in the Bible Belt. I can remember some years ago having to "join" a club in Dallas in order to enjoy a drink in the hotel I was staying in on the LBJ Beltway. And this is from a guy whose province's liquor laws are pretty darn archaic.

But hey, there is nothing like some JD and sodawater on a cool winter's night in AZ, unless I could find a Scotch down here that didn't taste like bourbon.:)

Jack Daniels is made in Lynchburg Tennessee...about 30 miles from where I live, and I know this is not on the thread, just a little trivia for fun, and Lynchburg is in a dry county.

WE visited there several years ago and the lady who was giving the tour told us that employees all get a pint every Friday. Her comment was, "And honey..every Friday is GOOOD Friday!"

Just wanted to say hi. I recently joined this forum as I started doing research for my first-ever cruise later this year. I stumbled across this thread and figured I ought to subscribe and offer some help to those visiting my recently-adopted home for the first time. I moved to Vancouver after visiting here on business many times over the past several years. Eventually I realised that there's no place on earth I'd rather live and I convinced my boss to let me transfer.

I've eaten there a few times and really enjoyed it. The salad bar is amazing and, yes, the meat just keeps on coming. I believe they have entertainment at dinner times, and it's a reasonable cost. It can be a little tricky to find as it's downstairs - you can enter off Alberni or Burrard I think!

Off by one block: Thurlow, not Burrard. Aside from that quibble, I can second your recommendation.

We need hotels for our pre and post Alaska cruise stay in July 2009.

Because we are a family of four (Kids are 21 y/o and 17 y/o), I have been looking at suite accomodations. They seem to be a very good value.

So far I have narrowed it down to:

Night before cruise stay = Carmana Plaza. It is near Robson Street so we can walk around a bit and grab a bite to eat before retiring for the night after a long travel day and head to Ballytine port the following morning. Rate is $275.00 for a 2 bedroom suite.

Night after cruise stay = Times Square Suites. It is located near Stanley Park so we can drop off our bags and explore the park for almost a full day. Rate is $299.00 for a 2 bedroom suite.

Trip advisor seems to have good reviews for both.

I am looking for feedback from the only people I really trust to give it to me straight. What do you think? ;)