Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I'm trying to not ask too many restaurant questions because everyone has different tastes, but...we're at the Marriott Pinnacle for one night and love seafood and any type of Asian food. Suggestions? And the best street to stroll for great coffee shops?

Someone mentioned Cafe Artigiano at Hastings & Howe. There is also one at Pender & Thurlow, right around the corner from the Pinnacle. There is also Starbucks on the opposite corner as well as Moonpennies on the other corner.

We think we have figured out how to get from our hotel -- Delta Vancouver Suites -- to Granville Island on the bus. Does anyone know what a taxi ride might be? There will be 3 of us, so we thought that price might be comparable to the bus.

We took your advice, Putterdude, and will go there instead of Lonsdale Quay on the day we arrive (Saturday). We will have most of the next morning, also -- would it be worth it to do Lonsdale Quay (Sunday) that day? It looks as though we are in the right location to be able to walk down to the ferry for Lonsdale, and the ship boarding doesn't start until noon, I believe.

Thank you -- all of you Vancouverites -- your information and help has been so appreciated!!

I was wondering what would be the best way to get from the Amtrak station to the Westin Grand Vancouver Hotel? It looks like we will be able to walk to many areas from the hotel including to Canada Place, is this correct?

Thanks for your help,

Thanks for the great suggestions! The menus at Joe Fortes are great; Aqua Riva looks good too. Thanks for the coupon tips, too, but I never worry about coupons while on vacation!

It's been five years (I can hardly believe that!) but we ate at both Joe Fortes and Aqua Riva when we were there pre-cruise and I highly recommend both. Try to get a window seat at Aqua Riva - it's a great view of Canada Place!

Have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is incredible. :)

By the way, how do the addresses work? In other words, do the numbers run low to high north to south or vice versa. Low to high east to west or vice versa?

In the downtown core the numbers rise as you move from east to west and from north to south.

We think we have figured out how to get from our hotel -- Delta Vancouver Suites -- to Granville Island on the bus. Does anyone know what a taxi ride might be? There will be 3 of us, so we thought that price might be comparable to the bus.

We took your advice, Putterdude, and will go there instead of Lonsdale Quay on the day we arrive (Saturday). We will have most of the next morning, also -- would it be worth it to do Lonsdale Quay (Sunday) that day? It looks as though we are in the right location to be able to walk down to the ferry for Lonsdale, and the ship boarding doesn't start until noon, I believe.

Thank you -- all of you Vancouverites -- your information and help has been so appreciated!!

Your cab fare from Delta Suites to Granville Island will run about $15 each way. After you have been to Granville Island you will find Lonsdale Quay a bit anti-climatic (and I am a North Shore guy); you will also find it a bit sleepy on a Sunday morning. So unless you just want to kill some time in the morning riding back and forth on the SeaBus, I think I would suggest a walk into Gastown or perhaps along Robson St. as alternatives. Yes you are just a couple of blocks to the SeaBus terminal from your hotel.

Puttterdude - if good visibility, would you suggest getting to Grouse Mountain from Canada Place on our port day there, by sea bus and local bus or there is a longer ride by a couple of busses, and various routes. Any advantage - scenerywise to taking the city bus only, maybe one way. Also, I see the winter season there has been extended by two weeks. Thanks.

I was wondering what would be the best way to get from the Amtrak station to the Westin Grand Vancouver Hotel? It looks like we will be able to walk to many areas from the hotel including to Canada Place, is this correct?

Thanks for your help,

If you can manage your own luggage you can take SkyTrain from the Main St. station to Stadium Station and walk. Main St. station is right across the street from Pacific Central station where Amtrak comes in. Otherwise it will have to be a cab which will run you about $15. Yes, you can walk to anywhere in the downtown core from the Grand including Canada Place...although that will be a bit of a hike with luggage.:)

Puttterdude - if good visibility, would you suggest getting to Grouse Mountain from Canada Place on our port day there, by sea bus and local bus or there is a longer ride by a couple of busses, and various routes. Any advantage - scenerywise to taking the city bus only, maybe one way. Also, I see the winter season there has been extended by two weeks. Thanks.

You bet, if the weather is clear a trip to Grouse Mtn and even the Capilano Suspension bridge is a good investment of time. Both can be reached by using SeaBus and the same local bus. Here are some links to assist you:

http://www.grousemountain.com/Winter/

http://city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning&.s={$SID}

Well it's been just about a year since I started reading (off and on) this thread for hints and it's now just over a month until I sail on the Serenande -- WOO HOO!

Booked at the Coast Hotel Downtown (Comox Street) -- have read good/bad reviews -- any comments??

Besides Stanley Park, I only have 2 other places I want to stop in -- Roger's and Purdy's:o. I've googled map (what I think were the closest locales) them I they seem quite a way from the hotel. Are they easily accessible by transit?

Thank you all (again) for your wealth of info!

Besides Stanley Park, I only have 2 other places I want to stop in -- Roger's and Purdy's:o. I've googled map (what I think were the closest locales) them I they seem quite a way from the hotel. Are they easily accessible by transit?

Thank you all (again) for your wealth of info!

Transit in the DT core is pretty good. Here is the link (http://www.translink.bc.ca)

There is a Roger's location at Granville Island. You could either walk down to Beach Avenue and catch a water taxi from in front of the Aquatic Center or catch a bush up to Howe to catch a bus that takes you to Granville Island.

Purdy's has two locations that I know of DT. One is in the Bentall Center (corner of Burrard & Pender) under the office towers. The other is located in Pacific Center. Both accesssible by bus.

The closest Purdy's would be Pacific Center or Bentall - both about a mile from your hotel but very walkable - the closest Rogers would be in Gastown. Sounds like someone is a chocoholic - yes they are easy to get to by transit - the bus on Denman outside your hotel will take you into the main shopping area of Vancouver along either Robson or Davie streets - they loop through the downtown - your bus fare and transfer are good for 90 minutes in any direction and including round trips.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Originally Posted by Podie viewpost.gif

By the way, how do the addresses work? In other words, do the numbers run low to high north to south or vice versa. Low to high east to west or vice versa?

In the downtown core the numbers rise as you move from east to west and from north to south.

Thanks Putterdude....I was going to ask the same question!! Have the info saved in my every growing of folders on our trip!!

Transit in the DT core is pretty good. Here is the link (www.translink.bc.ca)

There is a Roger's location at Granville Island. You could either walk down to Beach Avenue and catch a water taxi from in front of the Aquatic Center or catch a bush up to Howe to catch a bus that takes you to Granville Island.

Purdy's has two locations that I know of DT. One is in the Bentall Center (corner of Burrard & Pender) under the office towers. The other is located in Pacific Center. Both accesssible by bus.

The closest Purdy's would be Pacific Center or Bentall - both about a mile from your hotel but very walkable - the closest Rogers would be in Gastown. Sounds like someone is a chocoholic - yes they are easy to get to by transit - the bus on Denman outside your hotel will take you into the main shopping area of Vancouver along either Robson or Davie streets - they loop through the downtown - your bus fare and transfer are good for 90 minutes in any direction and including round trips.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks! I did miss the Pacific Centre location.

Spent 4 and a bit years on the island (Comox) and became a bit addicted to both brands:) Can't go back and not get a fix in.

Is the skytrain the new lite rail system in Vancouver? I was hoping we could take it to YVR following our July cruise.

The "Canada Line" from DT to YVR will not be operational until after the long weekend in September.

Don't think there is much difference between the bike rental companies - enjoy your ride - give yourself plenty of time if you are a photography buff - there are lots of places to get great views etc.

Cheers

Dennis

I am interested in arranging a city sightseeing tour post cruise for a group of 8 to be picked up at Ballentyne pier and dropped of at a downtown hotel. Can any of you locals or TA's recommend a company?

Where's PD when we need him - he is the local expert on this - but is on his way back to his summer home here in BC from his winter home in Arizona - should be back on line in a week.

A number of the limo companies would likely be able to do this.

Try the tourism Vancouver website:

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/

Hope this helps for a start

Cheers

Dennis