Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

The St. Regis is a re-model of a much older hotel which has been kind of a trend in Vancouver for about a dozen years now. One always has to wonder how much of a re-do has been done to mechanical systems like plumbing and A/C. But that said, it is in a safe convenient area on Dunsmuir at Seymour St. There is a Starbucks on the ground floor that I often frequented. It is an easy walk to Canada Place, BC Place Stadium where the opening and closing ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics will be held, Robson St., Gastown and Yaletown. You will find lots of restaurants in close proximity. It should be a pretty good bet for a night or two.:)

What can you tell me about the St. Regis Hotel? There's a really good deal for our date (5/10) through a Kayak link.

They've done a tremendous amount of work on the hotel that I've been witness to over the last year. It's a great location, right downtown. Next door to the subway station, 1 block from the large downtown mall, and 3.5 blocks from Canada Place cruise terminal. There's a new bar/restaurant attached (it was a great pasta place for a while, but it's becoming a bar), but there's a lot of good eats to be had nearby.

Oh, and if you like coffee, there's two starbucks (one right as you exit the hotel, one down the subway escalator to your left), two Tim Hortons (one across the St, and again, one down the subway escalator to your left), and your best choice, Caffe Artigiano, 1/2 block away in the 500 block of Granville St.

:confused:I believe this was the name of the restaurant so many raved about a couple of years ago on CC chat lines and my DD and I dined there the night before our cruise. Is it still in business?

I need a close place (got a DEAL at the Pan Pacific:p) because my sister-in-law can't walk very far.

Thanks!

Haven't seen downtown mall mentioned before...Putterdude, you holding out on us ladies? Just kidding....so in between seeing the "sights" if we want to do some regular female type shopping, where is the downtown mall, and especially in relationship to the Rosedale? Was thinking that if the rest of my group, all younger and more active, want to keep on going, I might need a place to sit and rest awhile, then they can swing back by and I can join them. I am a little concerned about a long day away from base, walking, walking, walking.

:confused:I believe this was the name of the restaurant so many raved about a couple of years ago on CC chat lines and my DD and I dined there the night before our cruise. Is it still in business?

I need a close place (got a DEAL at the Pan Pacific:p) because my sister-in-law can't walk very far.

Thanks!

You bet it is...a great restaurant with great views.

http://www.aquariva.com/

Haven't seen downtown mall mentioned before...Putterdude, you holding out on us ladies? Just kidding....so in between seeing the "sights" if we want to do some regular female type shopping, where is the downtown mall, and especially in relationship to the Rosedale? Was thinking that if the rest of my group, all younger and more active, want to keep on going, I might need a place to sit and rest awhile, then they can swing back by and I can join them. I am a little concerned about a long day away from base, walking, walking, walking.

With a name like "Kroger" I assumed that you couldn't pass a store without stopping in.:)

Pacific Centre is a large, urban two level shopping mall which extends 3 blocks from Robson St to Pender St. between Granville & howe St. It is anchored by the Bay, Sears and Holt Renfrew. You can access it though Sears which has a Robson St. enterance about 4 blocks west of the Rosedale. There is also excellent shopping on Robson itself extending west from about Sears. Enjoy.

http://www.pacificcentre.com/store/index.ch2

Okay still on my search for a cancellable backup before I start doing Priceline, so here are today's options :D

Holiday Inn Downtown - 1110 Howe Street

Rosedale on Robson Suites - 838 Hamilton

Opinions please!

Susan :)

"Holiday Inn Downtown - 1110 Howe Street

Rosedale on Robson Suites - 838 Hamilton

Either property will be fine -locations are fine for being close to most of the touristy things.

Cheers

Dennis

What kind of deal did you get at the Pan Pacific? What date(s)?

;)Well, let's put it this way.................two nights here would more than pay for our cruise ($449. plus $50. cabin credit and champagne)............but my sister-in-law can't walk much and this is her first cruise..............

the date will be early................June 4th.

The CA dollar is down; that helps!! Their taxes and extra fees add a lot as well.

You just can't shop or stay with much "economy" in Vancouver.:p

Bet it will be much worse when the Winter Olympics arrive...........those poor people living there are most likely having to put up with much construction and tax increases for all the building they're doing.

I figure I will always remember staying at Pan Pacific; it'll be my first and last, no doubt.

My daughter and I stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle just a couple of blocks away and awoke to see our ship awaiting us. It was an easy walk, pulling our suitcases, to Canada Place from there and the hotel was excellent.

I currently have reservations at the Best Western (Drake Street) for my husband, adult daughter, and I. I know I can get a better rate thru Priceline, but I'm concerned we may get a room with only one bed, which happens frequently in NYC when using Priceline. Does anyone know if most of the hotels coming up on Priceline have two beds in the room?

If I end up staying at the Best Western, is it a good area?

I currently have reservations at the Best Western (Drake Street) for my husband, adult daughter, and I. I know I can get a better rate thru Priceline, but I'm concerned we may get a room with only one bed, which happens frequently in NYC when using Priceline. Does anyone know if most of the hotels coming up on Priceline have two beds in the room?

If I end up staying at the Best Western, is it a good area?

We stayed at the Best Western last year and liked it very much. The staff was friendly and efficient. The besdwas very comfortable. They have a free shuttle to Canada Place. It is a shorter (and cheaper) taxi ride from the airport than places closer to Canada Place. It is a convenient location for us since we spent time seeing Vancouver before the cruise. We arrived fairly early and were given a room high up with a great view. We had a king bed though.

It's not a bad location. You are still close to everything downtown. You can walk down the hill and take the water taxi over to Granville Island.

With priceline, it's a gamble as to whether two beds are available. I think availability depends on the time of year and how full the hotel is.

Thanks, Judy. Maybe I'll just start checking to see if I can get a better rate at the Best Western on one of the other booking sites. It looks like a good place and your review reassured me.

Expedia has the same Best Western on their site for $112 plus tax (I'm at $185) but they specify two people. At the very worst I'm sure I could pay extra for a rollaway so maybe I'll take the chance. I wanted to be closer to Robson but is the Drake Street neighborhood good for walking around also?

Expedia has the same Best Western on their site for $112 plus tax (I'm at $185) but they specify two people. At the very worst I'm sure I could pay extra for a rollaway so maybe I'll take the chance. I wanted to be closer to Robson but is the Drake Street neighborhood good for walking around also?

It is an easy walk to Yaletown. It is also just 2-3 blocks away from the water taxi to Granville Island (well worth the trip). The Vancouver Trolly and the Big Red Bus stop is 1/2 block away.

Listel runs good properties both in Vancouver & Whistler; the Vancouver location on Robson is a good location. Robson as you move east t to Pacific Centre has some of the finest shopping in Western Canada and lots of restaurants. You will also be able to walk to the art gallery, Canada Place and even to Stanley Park. There are transit routes on Robson and the cruise terminals are about 7 to 15mins away by cab depending if you are departing from Canada Place or the Ballantyne terminal, max fare about $15.00.

However I would confess that I was rather shocked recently at the rates they were charging at the Listel and I not entirely sure that they represent good value at those rates. Others that I would consider on Robson would be the Blue Horizon and the Pacific Palisades. A little to the east there is the Holiday Inn on Howe St and the Century Plaza on Burrard St and to the west the Best Western Sands on Davie St.

I'm currently booked at the BW Sands but just come across a nice deal on the Listel ($115) so I'm thinking of changing...hows the comparison between the two? Are there any car rental places near the Listel? Does the Sky train run from the Amtrak station to near the Listel?

I have stayed at the Sands and the Listel and think the Listel would be my choice by a mile. Just a nicer and more updated property in my opinion. the Listel has car rental locations very close to it if I remember rightly.

the skytrain is across the street from the amtrack station and goes to the cruise terminal( Canada place which is only a relatively short taxi ride away ( or Bus ride up robson street. ) to the listel

We will staying an afternoon and overnight in Vancouver and wondered if I need to exchange money or is American OK? For cab fares, meals, etc. Thanks.

As a courtesy to our American guests, virtualy all Vancouver cabs, shops, services and restaurants accept US currency. However you will not get the full exchange rate which currently is more than 20% in your favour and you will get your change in CDN currency.