Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Putterdude, Urban Trekker and others who have taken the time to answer my questions, thank you. I just got back from my cruise and I had a great time in your city. Researching Vancouver made me want to stay for a longer time and to look into skiing at Whistler.

thanks again

Judy

Judy - glad you enjoyed your cruise and your visit to this little piece of paradise and glad to have been able to help answering your questions or making suggestions.

Come back soon and spend some more time in Vancouver and certainly get back for some skiing - don't forget the Olympics - Whistler hosts the downhill races so you should get a good idea of what the skiing is like.

Cheers

Dennis

I've been reading this thread for months now, and I have learned so much! Thanks to everyone for their questions and replies. We will be sailing from Canada Place on July 22 bound for Alaska! We will arrive in Vancouver on the morning of July 19, so we will have 2 full days and 2 half days to tour the city. I'm thinking we could do the hoho trolley for the 2 full days (Monday/Tuesday) and do Stanley Park, Chinese Gardens, and Lookout Tower 1 day and The Capilano Suspension Bridge, Gastown on the 2nd day. I have the entertainment book and planning to use quite a few 2 for 1 coupons there! We are staying at the Sutton Place (got a great price on hotwire thanks to this thread). Could you possibly comment on my plans so far, and let me know if we are on the right track? We really want to see as much as possible in our time in Vancouver. It looks like the trolley stops running around 5-6, so I assume we will need to take a taxi back from our daily journeys. We are planning to use the Airporter Shuttle to the hotel and then take a taxi to Canada Place on Wednesday afternoon. Thanks to any input you can give me! This is our first trip to Vancouver and Alaska, and are really looking forward to it!

You plans should work but with the Trolley you will have to do the Capilano Suspension Bridge as a seperate add on in the evening which inlcudes Grouse Mountain. However the CSB does offer a free shuttle from several downtown locations:

downtownshuttle.jpg

Thank you PD for your info. We will plan to use the trolley to get to Canada Place and then take the CSB shuttle to the park. As a side question - when we were in Queen Creek AZ this past spring we met a couple from Vancouver at the Queen Creek Olive Co. That wasn't you was it? I think I read that you were in AZ a little while back. Wouldn't that be a freaky situation!

Ok sorry I have to ask this again..I posted this question yesterday but have not got any responses so I thought I might try posting it here. I'm going on a cruise in July, arriving back into Vancouver on a Friday with the Radiance of the Seas. My plane does not leave until 7:30pm that night out of Vancouver. Anyway Putterdude suggested that I store my bags at CDS Baggage, do the trolley HoHo tour and catch a cab to the airport when I'm ready to go. I have no problems with this and it is probably the least expensive thing to do but...there are 5 people in my party and my parents who are going with us think it is a lot of trouble catching a cab to Canada Place to store bags, catch trolley and then catch another cab to airport. SO I saw a tour co called Luxury Limobus Charters that will pick us at pier and take us for a tour. All 5 of us in a big SUV, the charge is 600.00 cdn(for all 5 of us) for a 8 hour tour even though we will probably only need it for about 6 and hours. Can someone please tell me if they heard about this company good or bad. That is a lot of money to spend, I would feel better if I could just hear some feedback.

Thanks for your input Putterdude. I am still so undecided. I still like your idea of the trolley and storing our bags. But my parents want all of this to be easy. I think they think that there is too many steps involved. I still think we would have more freedom with your idea. Do you know how much it costs for CDS Baggage to send our bags to the airport so we wouldn't have to go back to CDS to pick up our bags and then go to the airport.

I wasn't this undeicded about any of the excursions we booked for our cruise. I just want everything to run smoothly that last day, I feel like if anything goes wrong it will be my fault. Oh well.

Larry, I understand your conundrum with travelling with a group of family members and you are the "group" leader. I am going to give you two link below, one is for CDS and you can send them an email requesting a quote to transfer your bags from the pier to YVR and the other is for Tourism Vanccouver. I see that Luxury Limobus Charters are listed with them and are members of the the association. I was thinking if you contacted them they may give you some comfort re LLC. My sense is that they are OK, I just don't know that.

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/visitors/about_us/contact_us

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

I just got an email from travel zoo about the Loden Hotel in downtown Vancouver. They are running some specials. I called and got a room for $121 (US) which includes local car service (if available) and a $50 meal credit at their restaurant. This seemed like a great deal to me. Does anyone know this hotel? It looks wonderful - I just thought I would pass along the deal in case anyone else was interested. It is good all summer, any day. Any info on the hotel would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I am not sure that I would agree with TripAdvisor about it being the #1 hotel in Vancouver but the Loden is a very nice hotel. It is newish, opened not a year, billed as a boutique hotel and in a safe and quiet area. Fairly close to sights such as Stanely Park and Canada Place I am certain that you will be happy with it. At the rate you got with the restaurant credit you did well.:)

To anyone who can help me decide, would I be better off finding a cab to take me to the airport on a Saturday morning (Sept. 19) after disembarkation from our ship? OR, should I buy the transfers offered from Princess ($24 pp)? Will it be impossible to even find a taxi? And I wonder what the cost of a taxi is from Canada Place to Vancouver's airport.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you! Watching a meter go ever higher is a nightmare I don't enjoy experiencing! Another option I have read about it the limo service with a set fee. This sounds much better than a taxi. I think I'll research that for a little while and see what I can determine.

On that date there will be 3 ships in port, with two being at Canada Place including the Zuiderdam. So there will be some pressure on the cab fleet and you could have a line for a cab that may run 30 to 60 mins...unless you can handle your own luggage and self-disembark in which case you would probably only have to wait minutes for a taxi. Your cab fare on a Saturday morning will likely run about $30/32 and a limo will run $39. The limo charge will be subject to a 5% tax and of course both are plus tip. By the way we will be waiving to you in the Canada Place as we will be going out on the Sapphire that afternoon.:)

Edited by Putterdude

To anyone who can help me decide, would I be better off finding a cab to take me to the airport on a Saturday morning (Sept. 19) after disembarkation from our ship? OR, should I buy the transfers offered from Princess ($24 pp)? Will it be impossible to even find a taxi? And I wonder what the cost of a taxi is from Canada Place to Vancouver's airport.

Neither, the new subway opens Labour Day, and goes from YVR to Canada Place for $3.75. It will be cheaper and faster than a taxi, and roll on roll off for your luggage.

Just noticed we missed you one other time when we got off the Diamond Princess R/T Hawaii on Dec. 18, 2007. You were getting on that day! Amazing!:eek:

I guess it's our destiny to pass like two ships in the night.:eek:

It seems the reservation person mixed it up. I had read on Travel Zoo that the room was 121 and if you upgraded to a different room (with a better view) for $40, you would get the $50 credit. When I called the girl I spoke with told me that both rooms had the credit, so I booked the cheaper room. When I got my confirmation, it did not mention the food credit so I emailed and they told me that room doesn't include the meal credit. Do you suggest I look elsewhere? Thanks for your advice!