Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

What feedback have you heard about the Comfort Inn Downtown Hotel on Nelson Street?

Katrin

I wouldn't stay there and I was once a partner in the hotel. It is a remake of a much older hotel, mechanical systems are not good. Location is in the heart of the entertainment district which can get quite rowdy at night.

Edited by Putterdude

HI, your very kind to help us all visiting your area. I am in need of a limo, cab or someone to pick us up at Balantine pier and take us to the airport. We can't use the RCCI service because we will be doing the "express departure" and will be getting off the ship as soon as possiple. Would you have any phone numbers, recommendations what ever, thanks, Roy

There will be a cab and limo line at the pier so there is no need to make a reservation. Cab fare to YVR will run about $35 and a cab will handle 2 or 3 adults with luggage. A limo will handle up to 5 adults and luggage; the cost will be $39 plus 5% tax. The drive time the airport is about 35 mins.

Kat in CA....there is an Urban Fair....(very upscale supermarket) about two or three blocks from Canada Place that has a great floral department. It is on the corner of Bute and Cordova.....305 Bute St.

Should be cheaper than a proper florist, but I don't know by how much!

Where do you think is the best place to buy some bouquets of flowers to take aboard ship? Are the ones on Granville Island Market overpriced for the tourists?

There are several street vendors around DT that are a good price. There is usually one at Pender and Howe, one at Howe and Dunsmuir and a new one at Burrard and Dunsmuir.

Also, in the mall under the Bentall towers there is Angela and Gabrielle's Florist. This is my favourite place to purchase flowers DT. There is also another A&G in the building at the corner of Georgia and Hornby.

This board has been great, I've been reading it periodically for the past few weeks in anticipation of an Aug 29 embarkation.

There will be a large group (9 adults 1 baby) taking the Amtrak up from Seattle that morning (Sat. Aug 29th) that will need to get to Ballantyne Pier. I know a limo is obviously recommended and that High End charges $39 for trips to the piers from the airport. Any idea about coming from the train station and/or if they take that many people? I can always just shoot them an email as well.

Second part, a few of us would be planing on bring some rum runner flasks (http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/flasks.aspx) with us on the cruise. Obviously it's cheaper for us to buy the booze in Seattle. Any idea if the customs at Pacific Central Station would have any problem with that?

Thanks again and I can't wait to see Vancouver. We are staying an extra day on our return to see the sights.

-Liz

Thanks for your suggestions for flowers. Just what I was after. Now.... feedback on the Metropolitan Hotel (saw a good deal there). Any bakeries or Urban Fare type stores within a few blocks of that hotel?

There is an Urban Fare at the new Shangri-La at the corner of Georgia and Thurlow (only a couple of blocks west). Pacific Centre mall is across the street and has a food court. A couple of blocks north on Howe is Sciue, an italian bakery/coffee shop.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I cannot find it specifically. At YVR is there a queue to get a limo, like for a taxi? There is 4 of us + bags so i am thinking that the limo is better to get us downtown from the airport.

Must I have an advanced limo reservation?

Is there a specific place at the airport to go for a limo?

Do limos take credit cards?

Thanks!

Second part, a few of us would be planing on bring some rum runner flasks (http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/flasks.aspx) with us on the cruise. Obviously it's cheaper for us to buy the booze in Seattle. Any idea if the customs at Pacific Central Station would have any problem with that?

Officially, when crossing the border (won't get into what's permitted to bring on the cruise :rolleyes:), you are allowed the following amounts of alcohol per person of legal drinking age (duty-free):

1.5 L of wine (for those who don't know metric ;) that's 2 standard size bottles)

OR 1.14 L of liquor (approx. 38.5oz; standard size bottle is 750ml/~25oz)

OR 24 x 355 ml cans/bottles (8.5 L) of beer (24 x 12oz. cans)

More can be brought, but it must be declared at customs and duty (tax) must be paid on any alcohol exceeding those amounts. Once you factor in the duty, it's probably just as cheap to buy your booze in Vancouver if you need more than what is allowed duty-free.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I cannot find it specifically. At YVR is there a queue to get a limo, like for a taxi? There is 4 of us + bags so i am thinking that the limo is better to get us downtown from the airport.

Must I have an advanced limo reservation?

Is there a specific place at the airport to go for a limo?

Do limos take credit cards?

The limos are in the same area as the taxis -- across the road as you come out the Arrivals doors. You don't need a reservation. They do take credit cards.

When flying from the U.S. to Canada, is there a problem placing a 3 litre wine box in your checked bag? I am clueless about Customs declarations. :confused:

You are allowed to bring the following amounts of liquor/wine into Canada Duty Free, per adult:

- 1.5 L of wine

OR 1.14 L of liquor

OR 24 x 355 ml cans/bottles (8.5 L) of beer

Anything over the above amounts will be subject to duty/taxes. Therefore, your 3 litre wine box will be over by 1.5 litres.

Edited by ell52

Officially, when crossing the border (won't get into what's permitted to bring on the cruise :rolleyes:), you are allowed the following amounts of alcohol per person of legal drinking age (duty-free):

1.5 L of wine (for those who don't know metric ;) that's 2 standard size bottles)

OR 1.14 L of liquor (approx. 38.5oz; standard size bottle is 750ml/~25oz)

OR 24 x 355 ml cans/bottles (8.5 L) of beer (24 x 12oz. cans)

More can be brought, but it must be declared at customs and duty (tax) must be paid on any alcohol exceeding those amounts. Once you factor in the duty, it's probably just as cheap to buy your booze in Vancouver if you need more than what is allowed duty-free.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Is there a shuttle bus or subway that will take us close to the Blue Horizon Hotel on Robson Street or is our only option a cab from the airport?

The YVR Airporter goes to the Listel and Pacific Palisades which is only half a block from the Blue Horizon. Cost is $14 per person. So, if you don't mind multiple stops and there aren't too many people in your party, then it's an inexpensive way to get to your hotel.

Here's their link: http://www.yvrairporter.com/

The YVR Airporter goes to the Listel and Pacific Palisades which is only half a block from the Blue Horizon. Cost is $14 per person. So, if you don't mind multiple stops and there aren't too many people in your party, then it's an inexpensive way to get to your hotel.

Here's their link: http://www.yvrairporter.com/

Thanks...... so it would cost 28.00 for the two of us. How much would a cab approx. cost from the airport to the Blue Horizon Hotel? If there is not much of a difference I would prefer a cab to lugging luggage.

Is the new Canada Line a good option from getting from the airport to the hotel? Read that is was opening soon.

If you're staying at the Blue Horizon (Robson St, between Bute and Jervis), you're about 5 blocks from the Skytrain station at "Vancouver City Centre" (look at the Red line on this map)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.2841,-123.123114&spn=0.008482,0.022724&z=16

Thanks...... so it would cost 28.00 for the two of us. How much would a cab approx. cost from the airport to the Blue Horizon Hotel? If there is not much of a difference I would prefer a cab to lugging luggage.

Around $35 with tip. Depends on time of day, day of the week.

Thanks for your suggestions for flowers. Just what I was after. Now.... feedback on the Metropolitan Hotel (saw a good deal there). Any bakeries or Urban Fare type stores within a few blocks of that hotel?

Ordinarily the Metropolitan Hotel would be a great stay, however, at this moment in time the reason they are offering these attractive rates is because there is a large construction project going on right next door.

About 7% of the taxi fleet are mini-vans that will certainly handle 4 people and their luggage. You only need to tell the attendent at the taxi line that there are the 4 of you and he will make sure to put you in a mini-van. Albeit you may have wait and extra min or two.

Cruise lines sort of have a sense of humor when they find liquor in your luggage. You make a trip to the "naughty" room to get your luggage and you get your "contraband" back at the end of the cruise .

Although customs doesn't normally do that much of a search they really don't have a sense of humor. You may wind up with paying $$$ for not declaring the liquor and/or have it confiscated. They may not be happy if they find an unknown amount of an unkown liquid in a rumrunner flask.

I'd transfer the stuff to the flasks after you arrive in Canada. You have 9 adults. You're allowed 18 bottles of wine or 10l of hard stuff. That should be enough to get you to your first port. The wording on the customs declaration given to us on the plane wasn't clear if the limit was 1.5liters of wine and 1.14 liters of liquor or if it was one or the other. It's one or the other.

This board has been great, I've been reading it periodically for the past few weeks in anticipation of an Aug 29 embarkation.

There will be a large group (9 adults 1 baby) taking the Amtrak up from Seattle that morning (Sat. Aug 29th) that will need to get to Ballantyne Pier. I know a limo is obviously recommended and that High End charges $39 for trips to the piers from the airport. Any idea about coming from the train station and/or if they take that many people? I can always just shoot them an email as well.

Thanks again and I can't wait to see Vancouver. We are staying an extra day on our return to see the sights.

-Liz