Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for.

So do you think if our flight arrives at 11:30 am that we could still make it before the 1:00 leaves? Did that make sense? I really am grateful for all your help. :D

You will be pushing the envelope a bit as you need to gather your luggage, clear Canadian customs, and get to the hotel which is a 30/35 min trip in itself....but worth a try and if you miss the freebie than there is the SeaBus which is a slamdunk.

If we are ambitious enough to take the Skytrain from Amtrak to Canada Place will we find any shops in the station near Canada Place where we could pick up a few bottles of Pepsi?

There used to be a small convenience store in Waterfront Station otherwise it is just a couple of blocks east to Harbour Centre or a Shoppers Drug Mart at 586 Granville, about 2 blocks to the south.

Hi,

We (me, DH and DD - 12 years old) will be cruising on the Wonder (July 26 - August 2). We will be arriving in Vancouver on July 23, so we'll have 2 1/2 days to explore the city.

Hotel:

We'd like to stay in a hotel that's convenient to everything. I found a rate of $211 for the Pan Pacific. Is this a good price? Any other hotel recommendations? Looking for one that's convenient to everything with public transportation available at hotel or within walking distance. We're not planning to rent a car.

Sightseeing:

Some of the places we'd like to go are...

Stanley Park

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Granville Island

Gas Town

Whistler (maybe take the Sea to Sky train for day-trip)

I'm not sure this is doable. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lisa

Regarding hotel rates - your stay is during the peak of our tourist season - they will be the Celebration of Light fireworks display with draws 300 + plus + in addition to Gay Pride Week which runs the last week of July - Vancouver is also hosting the North American Out Games the same week so hotels are likely to be at a premium.

Your daughter probably will also enjoy Science World - it`s a favorite for kids of all Ages and has easy access from the downtown core - it is only at little over a mile from the Pan Pacific.

A day trip to Whistler will be fun - perhaps train up and bus back - while the route is basically the same the views will be different and there is nothing nicer than seeing a sunset coming home along the Sea to Sky Highway.

The Aquarium in Stanley Park is a must for kids of all ages and if your daughter is fairly adventurous she will probably enjoy the forest walk at the Cap Suspension bridge.

As for Granville Island - take the little ferry over from the foot of either Hornby or Thurlow Streets - there is a Kids Market and outdoor waterpark play area.

Underneath the Pan Pacific is the Waterfront Center - it adjoins both the Pan Pacific, Waterfront Hotel and Waterfront Station - there are fast food restaurants like McDonalds,

Tim Hortons etc.

Gastowns Steam Clock is a favorite for just about everyone and is reported to be one of the most photographed sites in the city. When in Gastown have at least one meal at the Old Spaghetti Factory and if possible try and get a seat in the old rail car that sits in the middle of the restaurant - it is an original and ran on the streets of Vancouver until the early 1950s when we switched over to trolleys and I can remember riding them as a kid in this city - yes I am that old.

On Grouse Mt - be sure to see the Grizzly Bears - Coola and Grinder are a couple of showmen and seem to know when there is a receptive audience.

The Lumberjack show is lots of fun and they interact with the audience - often selecting someone to help with the hi-jinks.

Others will be along with there suggestions.

Enjoy your cruise, enjoy our great city and

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

Hi

Firstly many thanks to all the contributors of this thread, its an incredible effort and very useful for planning

Its 20 years since my wife and I were last in Vancouver and we are now taking our 3 kids (6,9,15) for 12 nights from July 12, followed by a 7 night Alaska cruise on Celebrity Century

I have been searching for what seems forever on the best source or good/value accomodation to try and accomodate the five of us

Everything seems to have gone up in price!

Anyway, just as I thought I had landed on a good deal for a nice condo in yaletown in Coopers Pointe (33 Smithe Street), I received a decent offer for a 2 bedroom suite at the Coast plaza hotel so have a dilemma

We won't have a car and will be doing the usual tourist stuff already mentioned on the thread etc. Was just wondering on any local thoughts on the best option from a location, transport, breakfast choices, super market choices etc and any experiences in the hotel in particular

The condo building has a two lane bowling alley which is firmly favoured by the kids at present!

Appreciate any help

Many Thanks

James

THANKS for the great information. I'm curious about one of the events that you mentioned...Gay Pride Week. Since this is not our lifestyle choice and we have a 12-year old daughter, we would prefer not to be in the middle of the festivities. With that said, can you please elaborate more on where it takes place, attendance, etc.?

Thanks again.

Lisa

James;

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

The suite hotels/accommodation that I am aware of include:

The Rosedale on Robson, which is a convenient location. link

The Landis, which is a tad out of the swim of things, but a good location. link

Sunset Suites, in a residential area known as the West End. link

Times Square, in the West End, close to Stanley Park and grocery shopping. link

There are a few others but they won't spin up in my mind.

Your visit will occur early in the week when there are less events going on. The bulk of the Gay Pride events take place in the Davie Village - English Bay area - the other end of our downtown core - generally other than a little more display of flesh it`s not all that bad - the difference this year is the Out Games - they may be more spread out over the region.

The Gay Pride Parade - is a huge event that draws more than 500,000 people into the downtown core - it will be held on the last Sunday in July - this year it will include a parade of the Athlete`s participating in the Games. I will note that entries are slow for the Games so I wouldn`t be surprised if the the Games got canceled. You will be on aboard your ship during the Big windup weekend which is when the bulk of the naughty behaviour takes place

All of the places you wish to visit are outside of the Village so you shouldn`t have any real exposure to the Pride events.

Hope this helps allay your concerns about your visit.

PS - I live two blocks from the Village so I can attest to what goes on fairly well

Cheers

Dennis

I will let others offer some suggestions for hotels in the City.

You could spend the better part of a full day doing both the Cap Bridge and Grouse - check out there web sites - a tip on Grouse - if it is cloudy or overcast you might not want to do it IF the view is the main thing that you are interested in

http://www.capbridge.com and http://www.grousemountain.com

It may depend on what your DD might want to do.

Granville Island would be a good morning thing to do.

http://www.granvilleisland.com/

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

Edited by Urban trekker

ABZCruiser - it looks like that was your first post so welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to the West Coast board.

The two areas you mention are a real constrast - Yaletown with its blend of old warehouses converted to eateries and hi-tech companies with new condo developments - lots of shopping although more upscale vs the older West End you would enjoy from the Coast Plaza - it is located in a Mall for shopping and there are lots of eating establishments all along Denman St where the Hotel is located - you are three blocks to English Bay and not much further to the Stanley Park although the main entrance would be about 6 blocks.

If you are going to rely on public transit the Coast is much better served - it is on one of the busiest bus routes in the City so the service is frequent and runs well into the night.

Another advantage of the Yaletown located is that you are close to the Canada Line from the Airport and not all that far to Stadium Station for the other two lines.

Again - would could walk to Science World which all of your kids would likely enjoy from Yaletown - you can access Granville Island via the little harbour ferries from Yaletown as well.

This has probably muddy the situation a little more but I don`t think you will go wrong with either location or so of the others that Pudderdude has suggested.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! A few other questions...

Other than the Pan Pacific, what hotels do you recommend?

For the activities below...how much time should we allow for each?

Cap Suspension Bridge

Grouse Mountain

Granville Island

I will just wade in here for a bit.

You will likely want to allow 1.5 to 2 hrs for the bridge and about 2.5 to 3 hrs for Grouse Mountain...depending upon how much you want to see or do....to that I would allow a full 1.5 hrs in total to transit to the attractions, between them and return.

Other hotels that you may want to consider that are close to or not more than 6 blocks of Canada Place and the Pan Pacific are:

Fairmont Waterfront

Fairmont Pacific Rim

The Renaissance

The Marriott

Hyatt Regency

The Tower at the Terminal City Club.

We are planning on doing Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse mountain on Tuesday afternoon. Dinner at The Observatory includes admission to the Grouse Mountain atttractions, which is a considerable savings. However will we look out of place if we do Capilano Suspension, the Grouse Mountain activities and then go to the Observatory for dinner? I would be in sensible shoes and walking clothes. Don't want to show at a fancy restaurant in jeans and tennis shoes, necessarily, but that's what I would wear to the Bridge, etc. Any advice? Don't think I want to head back to the Westin Grand, change and return to the mountain. In fact not sure if we wouldn't have to pay again, for the second trip up, LOL. :confused:

Our flight home is scheduled for the morning of July 31, 2011. With half a million people heading into the city for the festivities will we have any issues getting to the airport from downtown? We haven't booked our hotel for the two day post cruise stay. Now I know why the hotel rates are so hight that weekend.

Your visit will occur early in the week when there are less events going on. The bulk of the Gay Pride events take place in the Davie Village - English Bay area - the other end of our downtown core - generally other than a little more display of flesh it`s not all that bad - the difference this year is the Out Games - they may be more spread out over the region.

The Gay Pride Parade - is a huge event that draws more than 500,000 people into the downtown core - it will be held on the last Sunday in July - this year it will include a parade of the Athlete`s participating in the Games. I will note that entries are slow for the Games so I wouldn`t be surprised if the the Games got canceled. You will be on aboard your ship during the Big windup weekend which is when the bulk of the naughty behaviour takes place

All of the places you wish to visit are outside of the Village so you shouldn`t have any real exposure to the Pride events.

Hope this helps allay your concerns about your visit.

PS - I live two blocks from the Village so I can attest to what goes on fairly well

Cheers

Dennis

We're planning to fly into Vancouver on Monday, May 23, for the Volendam cruise that leaves on May 25. Now I find that May 23 is Victoria Day, and that entire weekend is a big holiday time. I haven't booked a hotel yet. Do you think we will have trouble finding something for Monday and Tuesday, 5/23 - 5/24? How will traffic be affected? Is the airport likely to be busier than usual on 5/23?

Also, from what I tell, the hop-on-off tours finish by late afternoon. Do any continue into the evening without paying extra?

Thanks for any information!

Traffic volumes for incoming at YVR should not be noticeably higher on the Monday. For hotels, most holiday weekenders will have check out on Monday morning so that should not be an issue. Sorry the HOHOs do wind down after 5 pm, while they do offer evening or "Sunset" tours they involve the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain Skyride so you do have to pay extra.

Hi,

We are cruising out of Vancouver but since we have family in Victoria, we want to spend some time with them. If we decided to take the ferry into Vancounver the morning of the cruise, what would be the best way to make it from the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal to Canada Place?