Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Quick questions- limo or taxi from Airport? What is the best. We will be six from Vancouver airport to the Coastal Coal harbor downtown. Then after cruise we will be 10 from cruise to Coastal coal at the airport.

Any suggestions for a limo service?

Thanks,

Your options are (for 6 airport to Coast Coal Harbour)

• two taxis; about $35/ea
  • one pre-booked limo/bus; probably around $100
  • one book of 10 two-zone transit tickets ($31.50 from 7-11 in airport); followed by the Skytrain from Airport to downtown, and a 4½ block walk along Hastings St to your hotel (be sure to use the Hastings/Granville st exit from Waterfront station -- don't follow the hordes down the corridor, there's an elevator on the platform)

So anywhere from $31.50 to $100 for 6 of you.

Going the other way, the same options apply, except cruise terminal TO skytrain is one block ahead, two left into Waterfront Station

Quick questions- limo or taxi from Airport? What is the best. We will be six from Vancouver airport to the Coastal Coal harbor downtown. Then after cruise we will be 10 from cruise to Coastal coal at the airport.

Any suggestions for a limo service?

Thanks,

Areocar have the contract with the airport for limo service to and from city. A 6 pax limo (on a walk up basis) will run $65 plus 12% tax and a tip. The Canada Line post cruise is a good option as long as you can handle your own luggage and have reasonable mobility.

To all Canadians who follow or post on this thread...Happy Canada Day....we are heading off to view our parade and the festivities in a local park. To those who are visit visiting today in Vancouver pre or post cruise I hope you will get out and enjoy today's festivities.

This is a long thread, so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

Is the Best Western downtown a decent place to stay? I am finding mainly + reviews on tripadvisor but many comment on what a bad part of town it's in.

Living in the seattle area, this could describe many areas in my city too - lots of homeless etc but that wouldn't necessarily put me off. If I had to elbow my way through a group parked on the sidewalk every time I entered or exited the lobby then I wouldn't want to pick this hotel though.

I'm wanting to find a clean, decent hotel with good service & security. Also hoping not to be mugged outside the hotel. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

You will be just fine at the Best Western Downtown on Drake street. The area a few blocks to the north on Granville St. is the entertainment district and it can get a bit rowdy when the clubs and bars let out in the early AM but that does not impact the BW. Double check the reviews, there is a BW on Granville Street...but the one on Drake is is great, has a White Spot restaurant as part of the hotel and is very popular with cruisers.:)

Areocar have the contract with the airport for limo service to and from city. A 6 pax limo (on a walk up basis) will run $65 plus 12% tax and a tip. The Canada Line post cruise is a good option as long as you can handle your own luggage and have reasonable mobility.

Hi all, we did tonnes of research on this and the two most reasonable car services were Aerocar at (new rate) $75 plus tax and tip from Richmond, BC to downtown cruise pier and HACA limo service at $75 taxes included plus tip from Richmond to downtown cruise pier. both are 6 passenger vehicles.

Leah

Hi all, we did tonnes of research on this and the two most reasonable car services were Aerocar at (new rate) $75 plus tax and tip from Richmond, BC to downtown cruise pier and HACA limo service at $75 taxes included plus tip from Richmond to downtown cruise pier. both are 6 passenger vehicles.

Leah

You may have the reserved rate as opposed to the walk up rate, here are the scheduled rates from both the Aerocar site and the YVR site, if you have new information perhaps you could post a link to it.

http://www.aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/hired-sedans-limousines.aspx

You may have the reserved rate as opposed to the walk up rate, here are the scheduled rates from both the Aerocar site and the YVR site, if you have new information perhaps you could post a link to it.

http://www.aerocar.ca/rates/flat-rates

http://www.yvr.ca/en/getting-to-from-yvr/hired-sedans-limousines.aspx

Hi that very well could be it. We read the rate online and when we called to book it, we received this email:

To: 'Leah and Brian Brown'

Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2011 10:03 PM

Subject: RE: Rate question

Hello Leah,

My apologies for the confusion, we have had a recent change in rates. We now only do hourly rates for in town transfers. The 6 passenger stretch goes for an hourly rate of $75 per hour plus tax and gratuity. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to reply.

Have a great night!

Thank You,

Mark

!x-usc:cid:image001.jpg@01CC13E4.96BB99D0

Customer Service Representative

Office: 604-298-1000 | Fax: 604-298-1060 | www.aerocarservice.ca

As of July 20th 2009 HighEnd Limousine will operate as aerocar service. Please note, while our mailing address and phone numbers will not change, our e-mail addresses will be changing to @aerocar.ca. Please update your address books accordingly.

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message and any accompanying attachments are intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above as the recipient and may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary or personal information protected by obligations of confidentiality or applicable law. Any use, disclosure, distribution, retransmission and reproduction of, or taking any action in reliance upon, this message or its contents (including any attachments) (a) by any person other than the named recipient, (b) for any purpose other than its intended purpose, or © without the consent of the sender, is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please (i) notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, (ii) do not disclose, distribute or reproduce this message or its contents in any form, and (iii) permanently delete this message (including any attachments) and destroy all copies thereof in any form.

Yes, I totally agree with you........when you find a very reliable one you should stick with them! I rec'd quotes from many limo/car service companies in the vancouver area from a Richmond hotel to the Ballyntyne Pier and we rec'd rates from $$75 taxes in up to $150 plus taxes - all doing the exact same one way trip. A HUGE amount of difference in many companies. I was a little disappointed in Aerocar as their posted rate was $65 from the richmond hotel to Ballyntyne Pier but then they advised me it had changed to $75, but no where on their website did it state this. I should mention that we are travelling at the end of September 2011 and the rates posted online are up until September 2011........so who knows. We have them booked, but also another company, I just haven't decided which one to go with yet! The other company was slightly better priced and hopefully reliable! (There are 6 of us.........2 adults and 4 kids)

We were fortunate last year to find a great limo/car service company in Los Angeles, so we have them booked again for the end of this cruise when we arrive in LA, very reliable, reasonable and won't screw you around in the price department! Now if I could only find a good one in Tampa.......oh the hardships.......tee hee.......

Leah

Edited by browniegirl

Here is a link to the YVR website which will help you locate the Pharamsave and the 7-11. Oh and by the way, about an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge look to starboard and you will see me waving to you.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/Default.aspx

Ok, Putterdude I will be looking for you and waving back!

Thanks for all of your help! How are you feeling?

As one who lives two blocks from the Best Western on Drake - can actually see the hotel from my condo although that will change when a couple of new high rises are built - you will be fine - as PD says you are at the upper end of the Granville Entertainment District and there are a couple of special needs housing buildings in the area which at times makes the area look at little seedy but they are harmless - actually have gotten to know a couple of them while enjoying coffee at one of the neighbourhood cafes and as long as they are on there meds they are quite enjoyable to chat with.

This hotel must be doing something right -I frequent the White Spot there - http://www.whitespot.ca and lately they have been a lot busier than normal - my favorite waiter and there are many - says the hotel has been very busy with tours and older visitors - hate that term older - mature - well aged like a fine wine is how I like to be described.

Enjoy your stay and visit.

Cheers

Dennis

When you leave the customs in the international terminal just follow the signs to the Canada Line. Take the train to Waterfront Station, use the Hastings St. exit, you will come out on to Cordova St., turn right and walk to Howe St. turn left and walk south one block to Hastings St., turn right and walk 3.5 blocks to the west, the hotel will be on your right.

can anyone please tell me how to get from YVR to Renaissance Harbourside by skytrain?

thank you in advance

You want to take the Canada Line (clearly marked at YVR) to Waterfront Station, which is the end of the line. From there, it is a short walk (albeit a bit uphill) to your hotel.

Here is a link to the map of the station so you can see where it is situated with respect to your hotel:

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/schedules_and_maps/stn_exch/waterfront.ashx

Viv

can anyone please tell me how to get from YVR to Renaissance Harbourside by skytrain?

thank you in advance

First the map; Shows teh Canada Line from the airport to downtown in detail (along with some other buses and places that are useful for tourists)

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.000467645fcda21dd87b2&msa=0&ll=49.284982,-123.116419&spn=0.010834,0.019183

Exit the US Departures area, cross the street, ride the elevator up to the top floor, buy an $8.75 ($3.75 + $5 airport surcharge) ticket and get on a train any train (they all go to WATERFRONT). At Waterfront do not follow the crowds down the long hallway, but at the south end of the platform (behind you), is an exit labeled "Granville St", use this elevator, and you're at the corner of Granville And W. Hastings.; and your hotel is 4 blocks west on W.Hastings.

However; for those that like it in pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation# are some pictures I took a couple of years back when Skytrain's Canada Line 1st opened.

Another caveat; if you intend to use Skytrain/Seabus/buses while you're in town to explore the sites, before you exit the terminal building find the 7-11 and buy a 10 pack of 2-zone transit tickets for $31.50. (there's no $5 airport surcharge on them)

Hi,

Can someone please recommend some inexpensive to reasonable places to eat lunch at that is around the Pan Pacific or on the way to Stanley Park? We will be arriving at the Pan Pacific about noon and then want to see Stanley Park. We thought we would take the bus to Stanley Park. Thanks for any info you can give me.

So, hubby and I have a 11 PM arrival pre-cruise and are in the process of booking a hotel (which seems like a waste since it will be so late and we will probably be able to begin check in for the cruise around 11). Anyway, what is your suggestion for the best way to travel from YVR to downtown area at that hour, say the Pan Pacific or Fairmont?

Hi,

Can someone please recommend some inexpensive to reasonable places to eat lunch at that is around the Pan Pacific or on the way to Stanley Park? We will be arriving at the Pan Pacific about noon and then want to see Stanley Park. We thought we would take the bus to Stanley Park. Thanks for any info you can give me.

There is a food court just below the Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Pan Pacific) with the usual suspects: Starbucks, Subway, McDonalds, Tim Hortons and more --> link to tenants

There is also a White Spot on Georgia & Cardero. It's a local chain - a nice family-style, sit-down restaurant --> White Spot

So, hubby and I have a 11 PM arrival pre-cruise and are in the process of booking a hotel (which seems like a waste since it will be so late and we will probably be able to begin check in for the cruise around 11). Anyway, what is your suggestion for the best way to travel from YVR to downtown area at that hour, say the Pan Pacific or Fairmont?

Since you arrive so late, it might be better (and cheaper) to stay at a hotel near the airport that has a shuttle, then take a taxi into Vancouver the next morning.