Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I've been on it twice! Its a great attraction. Gives you a visual overview of Canada from East to West. If you haven't been on California Soaring in Disneyland, its a ride simulator so you will feel like you are flying- there is a height restriction for kids- you are buckled into seats. There is a pre show area that has a movie shown all around you prior to "boarding" the ride itself. Its located at the back of Canada Place but you purchase the tickets on the street. I reccommend.it

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Forums mobile app

Have you ever been to Soarin at Walt Disney World, or Soarin over California at California Adventure? The set up is just like that. It's a 4D theatre experience, equipped with special effects like mist and scents. Excellent show.

Wow, I had no idea. We are only coming in to vancouver a day before the cruise, so maybe this is something we should do then - not the day we are trying to board. On a thursday in september, how much time to allow for waiting in line & the ride itself?

Wow, I had no idea. We are only coming in to vancouver a day before the cruise, so maybe this is something we should do then - not the day we are trying to board. On a thursday in september, how much time to allow for waiting in line & the ride itself?

You can pre-book a timed entry on the website if you definitely want to do it and skip the queue outside. I haven't heard of more than a c. 20 minute wait before the programme starts, though booking in advance does save you c. 1$pp so is worth doing if you're set on it - the programme itself lasts approx. 30 minutes including 8 minutes of actual ride time. More than ample time to ride on the morning you embark.

You can pre-book a timed entry on the website if you definitely want to do it and skip the queue outside. I haven't heard of more than a c. 20 minute wait before the programme starts, though booking in advance does save you c. 1$pp so is worth doing if you're set on it - the programme itself lasts approx. 30 minutes including 8 minutes of actual ride time. More than ample time to ride on the morning you embark.

Thank you! :)

I did a search on this thread to see if there was any info on Cincin restaurant. Saw it mentioned but nothing really rating it as thumbs up ... Any ideas was thinking of heading there on Sunday night for drinks and dinner. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, didn't even know it existed. Something to consider when we visit Vancouver next month prior to our cruise.

I did a search on this thread to see if there was any info on Cincin restaurant. Saw it mentioned but nothing really rating it as thumbs up ... Any ideas was thinking of heading there on Sunday night for drinks and dinner. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's been a couple of years since I was last at Cin Cin's but I have always been very pleased with the food and service. When it first opened it was the hottest new restaurant in the city however a lot of restaurants have come (and many have gone) since then so it's pretty hard to stay in first place year after year. That said, I am certain that you will enjoy yourself there.

It's been a couple of years since I was last at Cin Cin's but I have always been very pleased with the food and service. When it first opened it was the hottest new restaurant in the city however a lot of restaurants have come (and many have gone) since then so it's pretty hard to stay in first place year after year. That said, I am certain that you will enjoy yourself there.

Thank you! I believe we shall try it then. Looks like a good menu and nice location. So looking forward to the time getting to spend in Vancouver prior to cruising through Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checking in. We arrived yesterday in Vancouver. Took the train from the airport no problems. Do follow the instructions posted here earlier about how to get to the Pan Pacific.

Paid $40 to upgrade to a harbour room, and were checked in before 10 am.

We were able to watch the fireworks from the room. Canada Day at the port is a great spot. Breakfast was very nice.

I have been watching the web cans for the last few weeks and the Volendam pulls in right around 7:00. Not this time. She was already here at 6:45 am. So we missed her coming in. Oh well.

The Pan Pacific room is smaller than I was expecting, but still very nice and the bed is super comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

Just checking in. We arrived yesterday in Vancouver. Took the train from the airport no problems. Do follow the instructions posted here earlier about how to get to the Pan Pacific.

Paid $40 to upgrade to a harbour room, and were checked in before 10 am.

We were able to watch the fireworks from the room. Canada Day at the port is a great spot. Breakfast was very nice.

I have been watching the web cans for the last few weeks and the Volendam pulls in right around 7:00. Not this time. She was already here at 6:45 am. So we missed her coming in. Oh well.

The Pan Pacific room is smaller than I was expecting, but still very nice and the bed is super comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

Have a great trip! Can't wait until I am in that beautiful city as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the size of the crowds at Canada Place getting to watch it from your room is a real bonus. It was zoo - 300,000 people or so took in the various events throughout the day.

The sunny and hot by Vancouver standard weather also increased the crowd and an hour later the fireworks ended many people were still lingering around and others in long lineups for Skytrain and the buses.

Cheers and enjoy your cruise.

Dennis

Yes it is a safe area and central to just about everything - lots of eateries, shopping etc. It was always a laid back place to go for a drink in my younger days.

The BIG drawback right now is the MASSIVE Telus business/condo buildings going up on both sides of the hotel although one of the buildings - north side is nearing completion.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

This thread is huge and hard to find what I'm looking for. I'm somewhat familiar with Waterfront Station. Which exit is easier to get to the ships? The one that goes to the Seabus or Expo line or the other one? Then which way do I go???

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

This thread is huge and hard to find what I'm looking for. I'm somewhat familiar with Waterfront Station. Which exit is easier to get to the ships? The one that goes to the Seabus or Expo line or the other one? Then which way do I go???

Coming from where (which Line)?

Expo/Millennium Line: exit train to left, up short escalator, turn right, up longer escalator, Canada Place is ½ block dead ahead

Canada Line (airport): exit train behind you signs marked "Way Out - Granville Street" (at the corner of W.Hastings). Turn left onto W. Hastings, walk one block, turn right on Howe, Canada Place is two blocks straight ahead

Seabus or West Coast Express: follow hordes, turn right at 1st set of escalators (right before ticket machines) and escalator (or stairs or elevator) down to Expo/Millennium Line platform, walk length of platform, then follow instructions above for Expo/Millennium

DH and I will be staying at the Delta Vancouver Suites on Hastings for 1&1/2 days pre-cruise. For our first evening we were planning on walking from our hotel to the Blue Water Cafe for dinner. Is the area safe?

Also, for our full day, this is what I was thinking:

- light breakfast in our hotel room

- walk to Dr. Sun Yat Sen Gardens for 10am tour

- walk to Stanley Park

(lunch spot recommendation needed between the gardens & park)

- spend time at Stanley Park, riding bikes, etc.

(dinner recommendation needed - is the Fish House good? would we be too casual in nice shorts/T-shirts, depending on weather)

Are all of these locations walkable, in a safe area? I used to live in Manhattan & we currently live in the Detroit suburbs.

We are foodies if you guys have any good lunch/dinner recommendations. The only thing is that we would probably want to remain in the same, more casual, clothing all day. I figure we'll dress up for the Blue Water Cafe.

I recently took the Canada line down to Waterfront station before heading to Science World/China Town to check out the Bolt Bus for Seattle.

There wss a sign clearly posted to direct you to Cruise ship terminal/Canada Place. You won't get lost.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

DH and I will be staying at the Delta Vancouver Suites on Hastings for 1&1/2 days pre-cruise. For our first evening we were planning on walking from our hotel to the Blue Water Cafe for dinner. Is the area safe?

Also, for our full day, this is what I was thinking:

- light breakfast in our hotel room

- walk to Dr. Sun Yat Sen Gardens for 10am tour

- walk to Stanley Park

(lunch spot recommendation needed between the gardens & park)

- spend time at Stanley Park, riding bikes, etc.

(dinner recommendation needed - is the Fish House good? would we be too casual in nice shorts/T-shirts, depending on weather)

Are all of these locations walkable, in a safe area? I used to live in Manhattan & we currently live in the Detroit suburbs.

We are foodies if you guys have any good lunch/dinner recommendations. The only thing is that we would probably want to remain in the same, more casual, clothing all day. I figure we'll dress up for the Blue Water Cafe.

That's a long walk - Stanley Park is huge, save your energy for inside it rather than getting there. If you are going to hire bikes, do so first thing and cycle to the garden then the park - we have extensive bike lanes, which are all on Google Maps and up-to-date GPS data (use bike mode).

If you're foodies, skip Fish House. It's not even close to the quality of Blue Water (hands down the finest seafood resto in Vancouver). Cactus Club Cafe at English Bay would be my pick in the area for a dinner if you're planning to stay up around the park rather than return to your hotel before dinner. You asked about nicli antica - it's consistently rated among the top two or three pizza joints in town if you're into Neapolitan style pies.

En route from Chinatown to the park, if you're biking you probably want somewhere scenic on the seawall for lunch. If you have your bikes already, I'd recommend this route along the southern side of the Seawall, stopping at CCC English Bay for lunch before heading into the park. It's only 20 minutes at a leisurely pace by bike. An alternative would be to pop over to Granville Island (many of the little ferries hold bikes - look for the 'cyquabus' larger boats) and do Edible Canada Bistro. Then back over on the ferry and on into the park.

Alternatively Lift is close to the park on the north side of downtown if you want to travel up past Canada Place.

Regardless, there's no dress code in any Vancouver restaurant. Dress up if you like, but there will be folks in flipflops, T-shirts, ripped jeans etc. even in the nicer restos.

Other dinner places near your hotel in case you do decide to return after the park: Wildebeest is a popular carnivorous foodie spot, but do not bring a vegetarian with you;-) Hawksworth would be our go-to spot for a 'dress up and get treated like a princess' dinner; it's arguably the closest thing to Euro style fine dining service in Vancouver. Good Wolfe in Yaletown has climbed to the top of our list for European bistros, and Bambudda or Bao Bei for a similar level of modern Chinese.

If you can narrow down preferred styles of food for dinner I'd be happy to make some other recommendations.

As to safety - you may see a few more blatantly illegal activities than you're used to unless your Manhattan days were before the big cleanup of Times Square. Really though Vancouver is very safe - though I would not go northeast from Sun Yat Sen as you quickly get into the least salubrious parts of Gastown. Casual property theft remains common, so be sure to use the bike locks which every rental comes with.

martincath - thank you so very much! :)

I was under the impression that we'd have to rent the bikes in Stanley Park. Is there a place outside the park you'd recommend renting them? We just wanted to bike around Stanley Park (that was a recommended activity from an acquaintance), not use them as our mode of transportation. We are active people; I am a competitive adult figure skater & DH and I run and workout a lot. We have walked all over Europe. Google maps estimated that it's a 40 min walk from the Sun Yat Sen Gardens to Stanley Park. My thought is also that if we don't want to walk, we could hire a cab. Are they readily available?

Edited by patches05

martincath - thank you so very much! :)

I was under the impression that we'd have to rent the bikes in Stanley Park. Is there a place outside the park you'd recommend renting them?

All bike rentals are outside the park - generally speaking, the further from the park the cheaper the rental! There are several places really close to the park entrance but there are also various spots around downtown.

Being local and having my own bike I've never had to rent, but have used Simon's Bike Shop on Robson for maintenance. Just walk straight down Seymour from your hotel to Robson, Simon's is on that block. Equally close to your hotel would be Ezeeriders Seawall location just next to Canada Place, but they're outrageously pricey at $50 a day for a regular city/mountain bike (vs. $25 for Simon's...)

Unless you go along the Seawall there's nothing to see between the garden and park - the occasional historic building if you weave around, but basically a boring modern downtown business core. Going along the seawall on foot will come pretty close to doubling your distance & therefore time in walking - hence my suggestion of biking, it's the ideal way to see Vancouver as you can get to anywhere a pedestrian can but quicker.

Edit - yes, cabs are readily available. Outside the gardens you shouldn't have to wait more than a couple of minutes on Pender to get a cab. Fare to the park should be $10 or less, rather traffic-dependent though.

Edited by martincath

martincath - We are not used to big city bike riding, just in our small suburb on residential streets. Your bike options does look interesting though!

We are foodies, but it doesn't need to be expensive food. I love cheap food truck food, as long as it's tasty. Since we'll dress up for Blue Water for DH's bday, we were hoping to keep our lunch & dinner more casual. I was thinking for lunch either Nicli Antica or Meat & Bread.

What spot on the water would your recommend where we could show up in nice shorts & T-shirts?

Thanks for all your help!