Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Without going thru 3700+ posts, can I ask for the insights using the Skytrain from Canada Place to airport. Thanks in advance. Wayne

Exit Canada Place, keep left, and walk past the bunch of taxis waiting, and the tantilizing escalators marked "Skytrain" (which lead to the older expo & millenium lines). Turn left and walk two more blocks and it's the big brick building on your left, "Waterfront Station". Buy a two-zone ticket (for the airport) machines take C$ cash, credit and debit cards, and then ticket in hand follow the signs for "CANADA LINE". At the airport the Skytrain ends on the top floor of the parking garage right opposite US departures. Go down (esclators or elevators), and cross the street. Don't follow the long walkway straight form the platform (which leads to domestic departures).

Hello, can anyone recommend a couple of dining establishments in and around walking distance from the hotel L'Hermitage on Richards street in Vancouver. Perhaps a recommendation for a lunch and a dinner. Thanks

You've already got the Yaletown restos link above. Even closer to your hotel are: Q4 al Centro (it's inside your hotel - doesn't get much closer!); Hidden (in the Westin on the same block as you); Japadog's sit-in location (on Robson, next block from you); Ristorante da Gino (half-a-block up on Georgia; better value at lunch); Gotham Steakhouse (1 block up, 1 over); an endless array of noodle joints and many Indian/Vietnamese/Japanese/pubs.

Personally, if you want to try some more Vancouver-y places rather than just decent food I'd grab a Japadog and something from a food cart for lunch while seeing the sights, and book dinner in Hawksworth (David may not be quite the icon that John Bishop is in terms of defining the PNW locavore food scene, but I find the service in Hawksworth peerless in Vancouver, truly old-school fine dining, and the cooked fish as good as Blue Water. And it's only c.400 yards along Georgia fron L'Hermitage).

If none of those fit in your wheelhouse, supply some details of budget, style of food and what you consider 'walking distance' and someone will come through for you I'm sure.

For Yaletown:

We thought dinner at Cibo Trattoria was excellent. Uva was a cool wine bar attached.

Dinner at Milestones was a good experience.

Rosie's at the Rosedale was, for us, eminently forgettable.

Lupo looked good when we went in and looked at the menu but get reservations.

Reservations at Cibo are a good idea as well, we lucked into a table but you never know. Exceptional fresh rustic Italian.

Edited by sarafinadh

Rosie's is just a generic sports bar/restaurant.

Hamburgers all cooked well done, Frys that were limp and greasy and cool by the time they got to the table.

An appetizer selection of frozen prepared items, fried cheese sticks, potato skins, really bad nachos.

Service was ok, Bartender was inexperienced.

Just the sort of fare you often find in a restaurant that has a captive audience to some extent.

If you are beat and the advantage of walking into a restaurant without stepping out on the sidewalk seems attractive then Rosie's is your place.

If you are wanting good food, not so much. And with all that Vancouver has to offer culinary-wise, it seems a pity to waste a meal here.

We are staying in Downtown Vancouver and are planning a trip to Grouse Mountain during our pre-cruise stay. While I don't mind taking the bus up, we are planning dinner at the Observatory in the evening.

Is the bus easy to get back in the evening, are taxis easy to find? How much would one cost?

THANKS!

We are staying in Downtown Vancouver and are planning a trip to Grouse Mountain during our pre-cruise stay. While I don't mind taking the bus up, we are planning dinner at the Observatory in the evening.

Is the bus easy to get back in the evening, are taxis easy to find? How much would one cost?

THANKS!

The Grouse Mountain to Lonsdale Quay (#236) bus seems to run until 12:30AM Monday to Saturday, only until 10:30PM on Sundays - however it only runs once per hour after 7:30PM. Once at Lonsdale Quay, the Seabus (ferry) will then take you across the harbour back to downtown (Waterfront skytrain station) - Seabus runs till 1am. It's been a while since I was up there, but I believe it picks up/drops off from the base of the Skyride (cable car) that takes you up the mountain. (Looks like the cost of the cable car is included with the meal if you make reservations at the Observatory). Not sure about taxis, during the season there might be a few up there, otherwise I suggest programming some local taxi numbers into your phone (North Shore Taxi and Sunshine Cabs are the local ones for North Vancouver - hope it's okay to name names!). Popped the addresses into a taxi estimator and it came up with $33 for Grouse Mountain to downtown (Waterfront area), think that's before tip...

On the subject of restaurants, I want to take my DH to a nice steakhouse, downtown, preferably. We were going to go to Black and Blue, but now I'm leaning towards Gotham. Any thoughts? Price is not an issue

Gotham would be my choice.

For good reviews of Vancouver restaurants; http://www.dinehere.ca is the website you want; pretty much every Vancouver eatery you can think of.

Another option for a steak would be at the Player's Chop House, next to BC Place (the football stadium)

The Grouse Mountain to Lonsdale Quay (#236) bus seems to run until 12:30AM Monday to Saturday, only until 10:30PM on Sundays - however it only runs once per hour after 7:30PM. Once at Lonsdale Quay, the Seabus (ferry) will then take you across the harbour back to downtown (Waterfront skytrain station) - Seabus runs till 1am. It's been a while since I was up there, but I believe it picks up/drops off from the base of the Skyride (cable car) that takes you up the mountain. (Looks like the cost of the cable car is included with the meal if you make reservations at the Observatory). Not sure about taxis, during the season there might be a few up there, otherwise I suggest programming some local taxi numbers into your phone (North Shore Taxi and Sunshine Cabs are the local ones for North Vancouver - hope it's okay to name names!). Popped the addresses into a taxi estimator and it came up with $33 for Grouse Mountain to downtown (Waterfront area), think that's before tip...

Thank you Westcoach...we are going on a Thursday night. This is very helpful. Transit it is!

If I may appolgise first not reading up on all the posts so far. But my question is, we are doing a Cruise come September and staying the night before at the Airport Hotel, Fairmont. Is it possible to go by Taxi to the City, Distance wise is it to far. What sights would be a must to see, a Drink and Bite to eat, where do I instruct the Taxi to drop me off and are Taxis easy to Hail for the return.

Thank You Diane

If I may appolgise first not reading up on all the posts so far. But my question is, we are doing a Cruise come September and staying the night before at the Airport Hotel, Fairmont. Is it possible to go by Taxi to the City, Distance wise is it to far. What sights would be a must to see, a Drink and Bite to eat, where do I instruct the Taxi to drop me off and are Taxis easy to Hail for the return.

Thank You Diane

The Fairmont Airport Hotel is right at the airport. For convenience you can't be any closer to the airport.

Yes, it's very possible to head to downtown Vancouver by taxi as there will be a long line waiting. But if you are wanting to take a cab downtown to see some sites, I wouldn't recommend staying at that hotel but rather getting a room at one of the downtown hotels. As for distance, depending on time, can be a 30 to 45 minute ride costing around $35 to $40.

If you are just wanting to see some downtown sites and still stay at the Fairmont Airport, then you can easily hop on the Canada Line. It is a 25 minute ride to the final stop. It's hard to say what is a 'must-see' since I'm not sure what you like to do and Vancouver has alot to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys & gals

How easy would it be to get to Grouse mountain and back in the evening from the Westin bayshore hotel ?

We would ideally like to leave the hotel about 3- 4 pm and stay on the mountain until 9.30 - 10 but are unsure of the public transport links back to the hotel that time of the night , we don't really want to pay for taxis

Not that easy but not too bad either.

Walk or bus to the other side of the main cruise line pier and catch Seabus to North Van (every 15-30 minutes) and then bus 232 or 236 to Grouse.

I wouldn't do it on a weekend in the height of summer. Busses fill up and leave people behind.

If you are going on a weekday afternoon, there are direct busses from downtown to Grouse that pass by the Bayshore. Whether they stop on this stretch of Georgia, or have room if they do, is another question.

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/documents/schedules_and_maps/time_table_by_region/12sep/nvanp136.ashx

Edited by cruising cockroach

Hi guys & gals

How easy would it be to get to Grouse mountain and back in the evening from the Westin bayshore hotel ?

We would ideally like to leave the hotel about 3- 4 pm and stay on the mountain until 9.30 - 10 but are unsure of the public transport links back to the hotel that time of the night , we don't really want to pay for taxis

It's pretty simple, you can walk 1.5 block south (away from the water) to Georgia & Cardero and take a #240, #246 or #247 bus and transfer to a #236 which will take you right to the SkyRide. Just tell the bus operator what you are up to, they are very helpful. On the return just reverse the process. After 7:30 the #236 bus operates from the SkyRide every 31 mins past the hour. Here is a link to Translink's trip planner for your convenience.

http://www.translink.ca/

Hi,

Has anyone been to night market in Richmond? We'll be staying at the Coast Plaza Hotel on Comox and think we might want to try going to it. I understand we can get there via the Canada line.

Night market is very interesting. I haven't been to the new location near Bridgeport Station, but being located there makes it very easy for transit. Take any southbound Canada Line train ("Richmond Brighouse" or "YVR Airport") and get off at "Bridgeport" it's a short (and obvious) walk from there.

Flying into YVR from the US on Air Canada, and I see there are several currency exchange booths in the airport. Does anyone know if there's one convenient to where we'll be getting off the plane or near the baggage claim area? Are there also ATM machines nearby?

We stayed here on our visit to Vancouver last month. We were on the 37th floor and our view from our balcony was outstanding. We could even see our cruise ship and several others come in ... It's on Robson and was walkable to Stanley Park, the ferry to Granville Island, farmers market, and all the shopping you could ever want...

Flying in to YVR on the 22nd. Taking the skytrain to the Waterfront station. As I come out of the station, will there be taxis or will I have to roll my luggage to the Pan Pacific? Thanks.

It's a short 5 min walk and there won't be taxis waiting. Do follow the exit for Granville Street (the escalator not the long tunnel).

It's a short 5 min walk and there won't be taxis waiting. Do follow the exit for Granville Street (the escalator not the long tunnel).

Follow this advice, use the escalator or elevator at the south end of the platform,not the tunnel at the north end. The south exit (marked "Granville Street") will make your walk to Canada Place downhill instead of uphill, and slightly shorter.

The exit you want: http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#slideshow/5371855348978723922

The view from the street toward Canada Place (note cruise ship in background :-)

https://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#slideshow/5371860022220047170

Edited by scottbee