Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Hi, coming in to Waterfront Station via Skytrain.

Will have luggage with us but hoping to purchase some flowers before boarding the ship. (yes, would be easier to board, get off, buy flowers, reboard, but am thinking of the lines of people etc.)

So, is there a local market (similar to those Chinese grocery type stores with flower bunches on the sidewalk) close to where we will be?

If not, suggestions appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been researching ways to get from the airport to a downtown. I am reading that the Aeroshuttle has ceased operations. Are my only options to take the sky train or taxi? That seems rather odd. Any advice to get from the airport to the Sheraton Wall center would be appreciated in late October.

Renee

We are thinking about booking the Georgian Court for a few days before our cruise, has anyone stayed here before?

It's a very nice hotel, well run by a local hotel group. The reason it kind of gets forgotten on these threads in that it its locating is about as east as you can be in the downtown business core. However it is still walkable to many attractions and convenient to any number of restaurants...a good choice. If there is an an issue at all with the hotel, is that it is across the street from BC Place Stadium where our CFL, BC Lions play and the Vancouver Whitecaps FC play and if you are there on night they are playing it could be a bit loud for an hour as the crowd lets lout.

I have been researching ways to get from the airport to a downtown. I am reading that the Aeroshuttle has ceased operations. Are my only options to take the sky train or taxi? That seems rather odd. Any advice to get from the airport to the Sheraton Wall center would be appreciated in late October.

Renee

Yes, Aeroshuttle is no more so your options are down to taxi or the Canada Line...or perhaps limo. A taxi fare is going to run you about $35. For the Canada Line, take it to Vancouver Centre Station, exit the station and walk a short block south (away from the mountains) to Robson St. Turn right on Robson 2 blocks to Hornby St, turn left and walk two blocks to Nelson St. You will find that most of the walk is quite level.

Yes, Aeroshuttle is no more so your options are down to taxi or the Canada Line...or perhaps limo. A taxi fare is going to run you about $35. For the Canada Line, take it to Vancouver Centre Station, exit the station and walk a short block south (away from the mountains) to Robson St. Turn right on Robson 2 blocks to Hornby St, turn left and walk two blocks to Nelson St. You will find that most of the walk is quite level.

Thank you. Wish it was easier to get to the hotel. I was there in May and found a shuttle right outside Canada Place that took me to the airport.

Renee

A few months ago I posted on this thread and received wonderful advice and suggestions about our trip to Vancouver. We just got back from our trip and wanted to report back.

We arrived on the Star Princess and walked to the Marriott Pinnacle. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location. Very easy walk and got to the hotel around 9:30 am. Dropped our bags in the room and proceeded to walk to Stanley Park. What a treasure! So much to see...totem poles, 9pm gun, rose garden, etc. we walked forever and then circled back and headed to Gastown. Had fun checking out the shops. We had reservations at Cardero's that we made a few months prior. They had a great table for us right next to the window overlooking the water and marina. Absolutely great meal and the service was top notch.

Next day we had a 7am pickup at the hotel for a tour with Landsea to Victoria and Butchart Gardens. We had a great day. Enjoyed the ferry rides a lot. We ate at the buffet...breakfast going up and dinner on the return. We are not usually buffet fans, but these were really clean and the food was good. Nobody rushed you out and we enjoyed sitting at our table for much of the ride. Victoria is beautiful and we revisited sites that we've seen before. The highlight was going to the gardens which were spectacular. The flowers were still blooming...though a bit off their peak at this late date. Well worth the effort to travel there from Vancouver. A very long day - we got back to our hotel around 9:30 pm. Absolutely worth it and would enthusiastically recommend Landsea. Very comfortable transportation, well run, organized and a fantastic guide!

Next morning enjoyed breakfast at White Spot and then walked to the Island Princess for our 2 day sailing to San Francisco.

We had a wonderful time in Vancouver and Victoria and wanted to thank Putterdude for his great recommendations. Everything was fantastic and we hope to return again in the not too distant future.

Happy Sailing!

Always nice to have people who the locals have made recommendations come back and post there thoughts about their visit to Vancouver - i am sure that Putterdude will be along shortly to take a bow.

It also probably helped weatherwise that Aug/Sept combined were the driest in over 100 years and it is continuing into October.

Cheers

Dennis

I will be in Vancouver next September and had thought to stay at Blue Horizon (based on recommendations from this thread!!). A few posts back...someone mentioned Empire Landmark and it looks interesting and seems to be a bit less per night than Blue Horizon.

Would one of you locals please provide comparison of the two? Thank you for your input!!

_____

Karen

I will be in Vancouver next September and had thought to stay at Blue Horizon (based on recommendations from this thread!!). A few posts back...someone mentioned Empire Landmark and it looks interesting and seems to be a bit less per night than Blue Horizon.

Would one of you locals please provide comparison of the two? Thank you for your input!!

_____

Karen

I kind of panned the Landmark with faint praise and later the poster who stayed there (likely in August sometime) came back and said he hadn't been impressed and wouldn't stay there again. My advice would be stick with the BH, you won't be sorry.

Does anyone have opinions on Hotel Vancouver vs others downtown. I visit regularly from Seattle and get a good corporate rate around $160 a night. Is there any good competition at that price? I'm always interested in new options. If you are curiuos no one at the hotel has ever asked me for ID to prove I work at Microsoft. Just saying...

IMO it's pretty hard to beat a Fairmont hotel and it is equally hard to beat the Hotel Vancouver for location. Candidly, I love the hotel. However, you have the Hyatt Regency across the street as well as the Four Seasons which are excellent as well. Hotels like the Sheraton, the Metropolitan and even the Hyatt Regency would be a little down market and the Sheraton as well as many others just don't have the location of the HV. I have no idea of what kind of rate you would get at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia but it may be something that you what to consider. You remind me of a former colleague who when he booked a hotel always said he worked for GM, no one in 40 years ever asked for ID.

The Listel has evolved from being kind of "in town motor inn" to what might be called a boutique hotel. Locationally it is good, safe, close to all the shops and restaurants of Robson St. and you can walk to Stanley Park. I am certain that you will be happy there. I have no idea of how you found the Listel but for the price you are likely paying you may also want to consider the Blue Horizon, Sheraton at the Wall Centre, Sutton Place and the Hyatt Regency. If you want a boutique property then I would also consider the Wedgwood and Le Soleil.

IMO it's pretty hard to beat a Fairmont hotel and it is equally hard to beat the Hotel Vancouver for location. Candidly, I love the hotel. However, you have the Hyatt Regency across the street as well as the Four Seasons which are excellent as well. Hotels like the Sheraton, the Metropolitan and even the Hyatt Regency would be a little down market and the Sheraton as well as many others just don't have the location of the HV. I have no idea of what kind of rate you would get at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia but it may be something that you what to consider. You remind me of a former colleague who when he booked a hotel always said he worked for GM, no one in 40 years ever asked for ID.

I can't find the hotel vancouver when I do a search

The Listel has evolved from being kind of "in town motor inn" to what might be called a boutique hotel. Locationally it is good, safe, close to all the shops and restaurants of Robson St. and you can walk to Stanley Park. I am certain that you will be happy there. I have no idea of how you found the Listel but for the price you are likely paying you may also want to consider the Blue Horizon, Sheraton at the Wall Centre, Sutton Place and the Hyatt Regency. If you want a boutique property then I would also consider the Wedgwood and Le Soleil.

Thanks Putterdude. It was listed as a possible 4 star hit on Priceline. I may be able to get it for $160...

Mike

Thanks Vickie for all the help you have been offering. More importantly, thanks for always checking in for new questions.

I am arriving in Vancouver Airport from Los Angeles. A couple of questions:

Is it best to change some US Dollars into Canadian Dollars from an ATM at the airport? I am fortunate that my debit card does not have a ATM service charge and the conversion rate is only 1%.

I don't quite understand the Sky Train ticketing. I read somewhere that if I go to the Seven Eleven at the airport and pick up my Sky Train ticket to the city that they don't have the $5.00 welcome to Canada Airport fee. Therefore, it will only cost $3.75 (or there abouts). If this is true, where is the Seven Eleven? Is it worth chasing around for? Is there a senior fare on the Sky Train and how does one go about getting that fare?

It looks like your weather has turned cold. I am sure hoping for no rain. It would be nice if I could bring you some warm Southern California weather.

I am also staying at the Sheraton Wall Center, North Tower. I had the option (no longer available) to stay at the Westin Bayshore. Do you have an opinion on either hotel?

Looking forward to visiting your hometown. It's been a few years since I've explored the city.

Renee

Renee;

If you are only in the city for a day or so you will get along just fine with US$ however if you wish to get some CDN$ then by all means do so at the ATM. About the only place you will need CDN$ is when using the Canada Line from YVR to Downtown and even then the ticket vending machines do accept Visa, MC and many US ATM cards.

There is a $5 convenience fee added to fares from YVR to downtown only, not in the reverse. Therefore the normal fare is $8.75 northbound and $3.75 southbound. For a senior the fare is $7.50 northbound and $2.50 southbound....you only need id that you are over 65 if asked.

You can purchase the booklets of 10 FareSaver tickets for $31.50 at either the 7-11 or the Pharmasave which are located in the Domestic portion of the terminal. However if you are only only using the tickets for going to and from YVR for say 2 people they make no economic sense.

I expect you are looking at Vancouver temperatures in Celsius and not doing the conversion, right now we are basing in temp in the high 60 to low 70's and have had virtually no rain in some 70 days.

Both the Sheraton and the Bayshore are good hotels with the Bayshore being the nicer, I am certain that you will be happy with the Sheraton. It is well located in a safe area and an easy walk to Robson St. and all it's shops and restaurants.

Renee;

If you are only in the city for a day or so you will get along just fine with US$ however if you wish to get some CDN$ then by all means do so at the ATM. About the only place you will need CDN$ is when using the Canada Line from YVR to Downtown and even then the ticket vending machines do accept Visa, MC and many US ATM cards.

There is a $5 convenience fee added to fares from YVR to downtown only, not in the reverse. Therefore the normal fare is $8.75 northbound and $3.75 southbound. For a senior the fare is $7.50 northbound and $2.50 southbound....you only need id that you are over 65 if asked.

You can purchase the booklets of 10 FareSaver tickets for $31.50 at either the 7-11 or the Pharmasave which are located in the Domestic portion of the terminal. However if you are only only using the tickets for going to and from YVR for say 2 people they make no economic sense.

I expect you are looking at Vancouver temperatures in Celsius and not doing the conversion, right now we are basing in temp in the high 60 to low 70's and have had virtually no rain in some 70 days.

Both the Sheraton and the Bayshore are good hotels with the Bayshore being the nicer, I am certain that you will be happy with the Sheraton. It is well located in a safe area and an easy walk to Robson St. and all it's shops and restaurants.

Thank you so much for your response. I will have 3 days in your beautiful city in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the showers predicted for next week will usher in some nice weather when I am there. The Weather Channel is showing temps in the 50's. That's cold for me. But I do have some clothing for such temps.

I only need the Sky Train to get from the airport to downtown. Your clarification was very easy to understand. I am not quite 65 yet and the difference is not going to break the bank. I tried out my traveling ATM card today (just to see that it worked). I will get some Canadian Dollars from an ATM at the airport. Would that be after immigration before I get to the Sky Train terminal?

I hope I will be able to get out of the maze at the end of the trip (heading toward the Sheraton). I hear that there are several exits to take.

Of course this is all mute if it is raining. Then it is taxi time!

I remember the days when they held me hostage until I forked over the $10.00 to get to my plane.

Aloha, Renee

Others have said this before me, but I do want to thank all those on this thread who have provided valuable information regarding Vancouver, BC.

DW and I visited Vancouver a couple of days prior to our Alaska cruise and found it to be a wonderful city. We also found the Vancouverites to be quite friendly and helpful.

We stayed at the Opus in Yaletown as that was our winning bid on Priceline. The hotel and staff were great and the location turned out perfect for us. We enjoyed walking Yaletown, being close to the Canada Line Station, and being on the hop-on hop-off trolley line. At the end of our stay, the Opus provided transportation to Canada Place on the morning of our cruise.

Our choice was to bring CAD$ with us even though it probably cost us a bit extra getting them through Bank Of America's on-line service. While traveling, I would rather pay cash for smaller purchases and whenever possible I prefer paying in the host country currency. My only regret was that I didn't bring more since I did not plan very well. All turned out OK since we did put a few things on our Visa card and their exchange rate and our bank's foreign fees were reasonable.

Everything went very smoothly for us because of the information that I learned here. Thanks again for all the valuable information that you provide.

I will get some Canadian Dollars from an ATM at the airport. Would that be after immigration before I get to the Sky Train terminal?

I hope I will be able to get out of the maze at the end of the trip (heading toward the Sheraton). I hear that there are several exits to take.

Of course this is all mute if it is raining. Then it is taxi time!

I remember the days when they held me hostage until I forked over the $10.00 to get to my plane.

Aloha, Renee

Yes, you will find ATMs and currency exchanges after you leave immigration.

Your best to get to the Sheraton is to get off at Vancouver Centre station , come up out of the station up on to Granville St., walk a 1/2 block south (away from the mountains), turn right on Robson St. and walk 2 blocks to Howe St., turn left and walk 2 blocks to Nelson St.

It looks like our weather may change about Thursday and we may get some rain and showers later in the week.

What you got stiffed with was the airport improvement fee which was to be a temporary levy (you know much like income tax:rolleyes:) however it now is added to your ticket cost and remitted by the airline to the airport authority,