Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Update: I was able to reserve a car with Avis and do see from their map that it's across the street from the hotel. They're open until 5:30 on Saturday, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

Avis and the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver share the same parking structure so you will have no problems at all.

I've done a few searches thru this thread, but haven't found my answer. I've read that the Amtrak station is located across the street from SkyTrain, and SkyTrain is close to Canada Place. What I'm trying to find out is how easy it is to get to SkyTrain (I have read in another thread that it is 8 or 10 lanes and very hard to cross). Are there many steps at the Main street station or the Waterfront station? We are traveling before and after our cruise in October, so may have two pieces of rolling luggage apiece, as well as carry-ons.

Also, are taxis easily available at the Amtrak station, or should we plan on calling for one? Do they take US dollars?

Lastly, our first stop is Victoria. Are US dollars easily acceptable there? I hate to get money transferred over for a taxi and one port stop if I don't have to.

Thanks!

easy to get to skytrain; walk out of the station and ahead and slightly to the left you'll see the elevated tracks.

zero steps, if you cross the street (and there are crosswalks and traffic lights) there are both escalators and elevators

Here's a picture of Pacific Station, taken on my phone during my morning commute (a few months back when it was still half dark in the AM). This is just as you pull into MainSt/Science World Skytrain Stn.

pacificstation.jpg

and here's a google map of the lay of the land, showing the skytrain line etc etc;

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.279173,-123.094254&spn=0.022174,0.066047&z=15

That being said, a taxi will be about 10-12$; it's under two miles, and yes they take US$

Hi, we will be in Vancouver in September for the start of our cruise. My daughter is lactose intolerant and only drinks goat milk (she does not like soy milk). Is there anywhere we can get some goat milk to take on the ship with us? We will be arriving a couple of days before the cruise, and staying in the Sheraton Wall Centre - so anywhere within walking distance or maybe on the hop on/off bus route would be good.

Thanks,

Anthony

There are two or three large grocery stores within 3 - 5 block radius of your hotel that might have your goat's milk - I live nearby and will try and remember to check them out the next time that I am in them doing some shopping.

Perhaps some of my other Vancouver friends might have a more ready answer.

Enjoy your Vancouver visit and cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi, we will be in Vancouver in September for the start of our cruise. My daughter is lactose intolerant and only drinks goat milk (she does not like soy milk). Is there anywhere we can get some goat milk to take on the ship with us? We will be arriving a couple of days before the cruise, and staying in the Sheraton Wall Centre - so anywhere within walking distance or maybe on the hop on/off bus route would be good.

I would check with US Customs and Immigration as to whether you can carry an agricultural product like goats milk back into the USA; the USA is very strict on what food products can be brought in. This is important as you will clear US Customs prior to boarding the ship in Vancouver (so you dont have to clear getting off in a small Alaska port), and you wouldn't want your fresh milk immediately confiscated.

That being said, they will have Soy Milk on board, you'll just have to ask for it.

Most major stores in Vancouver cary goats .

Locally (Kamloops) Safeway ,Overwaitea 7 Save On carry it.

I'm not sure but US Customs might let you carry a small amount on

board for personal use.

There should be a store in most Alaskan ports that carries goat

milk.

Thanks for the replies.

I searched the US Customs site, and all I can find is "Dairy items such as milk, yogurt, and butter are generally admissible..." - I guess as long as I declare it and state it's for consumption on the ship and will not be take off, it should be ok - If they take it off me, the cost would not be great, I'd just lose a couple of bottles, and my Daughter would go without or have to have Soy, which she does not really like.

I have asked Celebrity before about them supplying Goat milk, and they said no, they only have Soy, but I could bring my own - that was for a cruise here in New Zealand 2 years ago. So I had no issues with any Customs that time.

Will check out those grocery stores in Vancouver and some of the port of call - there appears to be a couple of Safeway stores in/near the downtown area which I can try.

Thanks,

Anthony

I checked the Marketplace IGA which is a block from your hotel and I didn't see any on the shelves but I was in a hurry so didn't have time to ask the staff - The Urban Fare, Choices and Whole/Capers chains would be a good bet as well - will try and check them out for you in the next week as they are closer to your hotel.

Cheers

Dennis

Vickie,

Sorry it this was asked before, it is daunting to think of reading through over a hundred pages! If I use HAL's Luggage Direct service, and then plan on getting off the ship, walking to the Canada Line Skytrain, and taking that to YVR, is a 1pm departure to the US early enough? Thanks!!

Vickie,

Sorry it this was asked before, it is daunting to think of reading through over a hundred pages! If I use HAL's Luggage Direct service, and then plan on getting off the ship, walking to the Canada Line Skytrain, and taking that to YVR, is a 1pm departure to the US early enough? Thanks!!

You would have absolutley no problem with a 1 pm flight from YVR to the US using the Canada Line. What I am not sure about is using HAL's luggage service and not their transfer...you may care to ask HAL about this once onboard your ship.

One place that should have goat's milk is Choices Market at Davie and Richards - about 6 blocks from your hotel - a friend was going shopping there yesterday and I asked him to check that out for me - his response was that they sell all things Goat's - another possibility is Nester's which is a little closer.

Cheers

Dennis

Here's more places that have Goat's milk - Urban fare on Alberni St $3.69 for one Liter

Link here: http://urbanfare.gsnrecipes.com/StoreLocator.aspx#

Super Valu on Davie - probably the closest location to your hotel - $5.49 for 2 liters. They also have the longest hours including 24 hours on the weekend.

Link here: http://www.supervaluondavie.com/

Choices Market: This location is located in the historic Canadian Linen building - I know it well as they use to provide my employer with our laundry needs until we went to our own equipment.

Link here: http://www.choicesmarket.com/yaletown.htm

I checked Nestor's - an assistant manager happened to be in the diary area and I ask him - apparently when he came to that location he ordered some in and it stayed on the shelves and had to be tossed out so they don't carry it anymore but if need be can be ordered and paid for in advance and they will hold it for pick up but that shouldn't be necessary since those other locations have it.

This is the firm whose product was on the shelves at both Urban Fare and Super Valu:

http://www.happydaysdairy.com/aboutus.html

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

wow, Dennis, it certainly does help, that's great info - thanks very much.

I'll make a note of all the locations and take it with me, but Super Valu certainly looks good.

Thanks again, much appreciated,

Anthony

I'm one of those packrats with several full suitcases when leaving from a home port. Since we have to pay for each suitcase, DH and I are trying to limit ourselves to 1 suitcase each to check and a small carry on. For me, this is going to be quite difficult. Can you tell me if there are stores close to the Sutton Place that carry bottled water, ginger ale, sun block and a book store. I don't think I will be able to squeeze these items in the suitcases.

We will also be looking for a breakfast type restaurant within walking distance of the hotel. Good coffee, eggs and pancakes are a necessity. Omlettes and buffet table would be a bonus.

Thanks,

Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city.

Edited by maryh307

I'm one of those packrats with several full suitcases when leaving from a home port. Since we have to pay for each suitcase, DH and I are trying to limit ourselves to 1 suitcase each to check and a small carry on. For me, this is going to be quite difficult. Can you tell me if there are stores close to the Sutton Place that carry bottled water, ginger ale, sun block and a book store. I don't think I will be able to squeeze these items in the suitcases.

We will also be looking for a breakfast type restaurant within walking distance of the hotel. Good coffee, eggs and pancakes are a necessity. Omlettes and buffet table would be a bonus.

Thanks,

Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city.

You are in luck, there is an IGA, Marketplace about a half block south on Burrard St. for your sodas, water and sunblock. There is a large Chapters book store at the corner of Howe and Robson St. which is a block north on Burrard and two blocks east on Robson St. For a big breakfast your best choice would likely be the White Spot at Georgia and Seymour which is two blocks north on Burrard St. and four blocks east on W. Georgia St., there is another one on Drake St. to the south and east but the one at W. Georgia and Seymour will put almost next door to a two level London Drugs which will also have books, sodas, water and sunbock.

Not sure what you consider walking distance for breakfast but The Templeton on Granville near Helmcken is about a 10 minute walk. Its an slightly dumpy old school diner (no buffet fortunately), with amazing food: free range eggs, artisan bacon, great blueberry banana pancakes, and a killer smoked salmon and cream cheese omelette. And perfect diner coffee. I eat there most days I am in Vancouver...

Thanks for the info Putterdude and Dexter 99. My DH thought the omelette sounds great and I can go for the bluleberry and bannana pancakes. We walk most days for exercise, so a 10 minute walk isn't a problem. It sounds like we need the walk back to the Sutton Place to burn off some of the food. Could you please give us directions from the hotel?

Thanks

Edited by maryh307

You come out of your hotel and turn right walk the half block to Smithe, turn left on Smithe 3 blocks to Granville and turn right and walk 2 blocks south on Granville. Here is link to a map. link

I will caution you the neighbourhood is a bit scuzzy and it the restaurant does have mixed reviews...some really like and others...well not so much. Maybe Ut who posts on here a lot can fill in some of the blanks.

http://thetempleton.ca/templeton/index.html

For people going to Stanley Park.... I visited the new Klahowya Village at Stanley Park this week and was very impressed. I went with a friend and her 3 year old, so we were planning to go on the miniature train anyway. The train now has a First Nations theme, working around various animals of this area. The village is presented by the Aboriginal Tourism Association of BC, and it is low-tech, but has lots of presenters and manages a sincere culturally-rich experience. There are few signs directing you to the village, but if you look for the miniature train signs, you can find it. There is no cost to tour the village. Here's the website with times for performances and tours:

http://www.aboriginalbc.com/KlahowyaVillage

Viv

Edited by Sally Forth

I will check out the Templeton on line. We will check out both restaurant on our first afternoon there. After being on a plane for 6 hours, a little walk will do us good.

Now that I have 2 places for breakfast, can you suggest places for casual dinner within a 10-15 minute walk from the Sutton Place. We are looking for good, but reasonable priced food. A meal between $15-$30 would be great. We are spending 2 nights in VC in September. We enjoy Italian food as well as chicken and seafood dishes.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,

Mary