Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you so much to all of the Vancouver authorities. You are very helpful in planning our upcoming trip and I can't wait to see your city.

We are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre. We are planning on taking the skytrain from the airport. Could you please advise us as to which station to get off and how to get our hotel from there? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Adine

Unfortunately you are about 7 blocks from one of the stations and 9 or so from the other. I would be inclined to take the Canada Line to the Vancouver Centre Station then walk one block south on Granville St. (away from the mountains) the turn right and go 3 blocks west on Robson St., to Burrard St., then left 3 long blocks to the hotel. If you were to find that to long of a treck then you could go to the Waterfront Station where you could catch a cab for about $10. Another option from Waterfront Staion would be to transfer to a #44 Bus using your Canada Line ticket and tell the operator where you want to get off. map

Hi...I didn't see your original reply and was wondering your opinion on this one?...thanks!

In your original post, you stated there are 2 couples with one child each (total of 6 people). Are you asking if all 6 of you can get away with being in one room?

Ahh, never mind. I see the smiley now. :)

We arrive in Vancouver at 8:30 am from our Alaska cruise (NCL Pearl) on September 19, 2010 and leave by 3:00pm. I want someone to assist in complete direction for our first time visit. I get off the ship and store luggage at priority baggage, don't know where they are located and times of operation for pickup. Then we are going to Stanley Park in way of the translink. Where to board this? Any cheaper places to eat lunch around the park? What not to miss seeing in the park? We are ages 46 48. Walk or ride the tour bus? After the park we want to see ??? with time remaining. Then we need to get to the Holiday Inn on Howe for the bus ride to Sea tec. Thanks for all your help!

You will want to catch the #19 Stanley Park bus on Pender street which is two blocks from the pier - but you stated you like walking - well you could also walk from Canada Place to Stanley Park and then if it still running pick up the $10.00 hop on hop off shuttle and see the park that way - here's a link to their web site:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/stanley-park-tour.php

If the concessions are opened you should be able to get some reasonably priced "junk food" otherwise there are lots of restaurants and cafes near the entrance at Denman and Robson or there is also a food court in the basement of the Waterfront Center/Canada Place complex.

Not sure exactly where the baggage check at Canada Place is but you also leave it with the porters at either the Pan Pacific or Waterfront Hotel for a small tip.

Gastown would be the other thing that you might have time to visit as it is only 2 - 3 blocks in the other direction from Canada Place - link here:

http://www.gastown.org/

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your visit to our fine city. Some of the other locals will be around with there advice as well.

Cheers

Dennis

I would only add two very small suggestions to Ut's post and that would be if you chose to do Gastown you may want to go up in the Vancouver Lookout at Harbour Centre which you will pass on Cordova St. and perhaps visit the Winter Olympic Cauldron which is located just west of the new trade and convention centre. Ok, three things...please watch your time you need to be at YVR at least 2 full hours before your flight to clear security and US customs and YVR is about 35 mins from downtown.

The Mercury will be using Canada Place and the Coast Coal Harbour is about 5 blocks from the pier, see attached map It is a new hotel that was opened just in advance of the Winter Olympics and I am sure that you will enjoy it. You can walk to places like Stanley Park and Gastown but you may want to try one of the HOHOs. As for restaurants you may care to care to walk to Cardero's down near the Weston Bayshore, Steamworks, Joe Fortes or Aqua Riva.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.aquariva.com/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

www.joefortes.ca/

www.steamworks.com/

I am taking the Skytrain from downtown to the Radisson near the airport. Can anyone tell me which stop I would get off at and also is it within walking distance of the hotel with luggage or would I be better off going all the way to the airport and then calling the hotels shuttle. Thanks!

You would take the Canada Line (Brighouse Train) to the Aberdeen Station then walk a fairly long block east on Cambie St. to the hotel...but either way will work. If you do elect to go to the airport you do need to take the YVR train . map

I posted this on the Alaska forum but this is the better place...we are staying over Sunday night near the airport. United flight is 6:15 AM :eek:

What time does the airport actually open and employees begin processing people?

We need to return rental car, check luggage, and get through customs.

THanks!

Melissa

I am taking the Skytrain from downtown to the Radisson near the airport. Can anyone tell me which stop I would get off at and also is it within walking distance of the hotel with luggage or would I be better off going all the way to the airport and then calling the hotels shuttle. Thanks!

Take the Brighouse (ie. not the YVR-Airport) line and get off at Aberdeen Station. The Radisson Airport Hotel is almost directly across the street.

I posted this on the Alaska forum but this is the better place...we are staying over Sunday night near the airport. United flight is 6:15 AM :eek:

What time does the airport actually open and employees begin processing people?

We need to return rental car, check luggage, and get through customs.

THanks!

Melissa

Airport is open 24/7. There are flights leaving at 2-3am then the next earliest is 0600 (quite a few @ 0600). The big issue is when does the USA DHS CBP open, and IIRC it's 0500, so if you're using kiosk checkin, there's not much point to arriving much before 5 am

Just spent a day reading all the posts here. My thanks to those of you who have voluntarily been answering everyone's questions your advice is SO helpful.

We will be cruising in May of 2011 and are about ready to book the Metropolitan. Can you tell me if there is still ongoing construction next door?

I see that a cab from the airport will cost about $35, but do you have any idea how far the hotel is from the ship pier? One in our group can't walk more than 2 blocks - from what I see it appears the pier (sailing Princess) is about 5 blocks from the hotel - is that about right?

Just spent a day reading all the posts here. My thanks to those of you who have voluntarily been answering everyone's questions your advice is SO helpful.

We will be cruising in May of 2011 and are about ready to book the Metropolitan. Can you tell me if there is still ongoing construction next door?

I see that a cab from the airport will cost about $35, but do you have any idea how far the hotel is from the ship pier? One in our group can't walk more than 2 blocks - from what I see it appears the pier (sailing Princess) is about 5 blocks from the hotel - is that about right?

I am glad that you have read all of the posts as we will be asking questions later.;)

I would expect that the construction next door to the Metropolitan will all but finished by next May to be sure, you car to request a north facing room. You are correct, Canada Place, where in all likelihood Princess will tie up next year is a full 5 blocks from the hotel, a cab will cost you about $7/$10. If you thought your companions could handle the walk and their luggage, the Canada Line's Vancouver Centre Station is only about 1.5 blocks from the Metropolitan...if not then a cab it is.

Sorry to bring this subject up - its concerning the T word lol

We are arriving in Vancouver next week (Thursday 19th) not our first trip to your lovely city and hopefully not our last. Each time previously we took the fabulous handy Airporter Bus from the airport direct to our hotel but now the A Bus is no more. So this time with cases and other bags (6 weeks away from home!!) - for us- its going to be easier to take a taxi rather than the skytrain (Canada Line)

Tipping in Australia is not the norm - we cope overseas - now my question is - how much would one tip a taxi from Airport to the Century Plaza Hotel on Burrard Street. I am aware the cost is about $35.........so with 2 passengers along with 2 cases, 1 garment bag, 2 carryones what approx would be the tip?

Hope to hear from you soon

Cathy

Tipping in Australia is not the norm - we cope overseas - now my question is - how much would one tip a taxi from Airport to the Century Plaza Hotel on Burrard Street. I am aware the cost is about $35.........so with 2 passengers along with 2 cases, 1 garment bag, 2 carryones what approx would be the tip?

Hope to hear from you soon

Cathy

Oh no you can't use the "T" word on these forums without sparking a huge debate.;) Welcome back to Vancouver.

The normal cabbie's tip would be about 15% so about $5.

Thank you so much. Wasn't aware of the Canada line option - thanks.

I am glad that you have read all of the posts as we will be asking questions later.;)

I would expect that the construction next door to the Metropolitan will all but finished by next May to be sure, you car to request a north facing room. You are correct, Canada Place, where in all likelihood Princess will tie up next year is a full 5 blocks from the hotel, a cab will cost you about $7/$10. If you thought your companions could handle the walk and their luggage, the Canada Line's Vancouver Centre Station is only about 1.5 blocks from the Metropolitan...if not then a cab it is.

If you calculated the cost of individual rides on the Canada Line from your hotel to pier versus a taxi it might be cheaper. The Canada Line fare is $2.50/person . If you have 3 or more it is probably cheaper to use a taxi.

Also you don't have to hoof yourself and luggage to/from the stations and up/down stairs.

I can't believe we are only a month away from our cruise out of Vancouver. We arrive around 11 AM and have two nights booked before we depart for Hawaii. We are planning to take a carriage ride through Stanley Park. We may do that the first day. Are there any tours/excursions through companies that you recommend? Should we be able to see most of the local sites with a hop on hop off bus or water taxi? I don't know if I can cross the Cap.Bridge. IF DH guides me across with my eyes shut, I may make it.

We are so looking forward to visiting Vancouver for the first time.

Mary

I can't believe we are only a month away from our cruise out of Vancouver. We arrive around 11 AM and have two nights booked before we depart for Hawaii. We are planning to take a carriage ride through Stanley Park. We may do that the first day. Are there any tours/excursions through companies that you recommend? Should we be able to see most of the local sites with a hop on hop off bus or water taxi? I don't know if I can cross the Cap.Bridge. IF DH guides me across with my eyes shut, I may make it.

We are so looking forward to visiting Vancouver for the first time.

Mary

From downtown it's just as easy to get to cap suspension bridge by the local bus system as it is on a tour bus, but only $3.75/ea (or $2.50 weekends). From downtown; take SEABUS across Burrard Inlet, then connect onto the "GROUSE MOUNTAIN" bus (236 IIRC).