Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

There are a number of restaurants on or just off Robson St. One that we often recommend is Joe Fortes which has been an icon in Vancouver for about 25 years....it would be on the higher end of your range. For Italian there is Zefferellis on Robson and if you want to walk down into Gastown then there is the Old Spaghetti Factoy on Water St...both of these are inexpensive to moderately priced. The only restaurant that I can think of the specializes in chicken is Nanados at Davie and Howe but I have never eaten at that particular location. I am also going to provide you with a link to the Whitespots.

www.joefortes.ca/

http://www.zefferellis.com/

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/locations/british_columbia/

http://www.nandoscanada.com/sections.html#Menu

http://www.whitespot.com/

Nandos is a new restaurant in that location that seems to have a steady client base for a new place - haven't got around to eating there even though I walk by it everyday - can't get my lazy buddy to go there to try there ongoing special of 2 can dine for $14.99.

There are also the following chains with locations nearby - Keg, Milestones, Earl's, Moxie's, Cactus Club and Joey's on Burrard which is across from the Sutton.

You won't go hungry in downtown Vancouver that's for sure and I second PD choice of Joe Fortes.

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

Putterdude and Urban trekker. I just checked out the White Spots. If we don't eat at the diner, we will certainly find something at the WhiteSpots for breakfast. We will most likely try one the first day and the other on the second morning. I plan to review the other suggestions as well.

I really appreciate the help.

To see you beautiful city in 54 days.

You are more than welcome and I agree with the restaurants that Ut has mentioned, although the Keg is more of a moderately priced steak house which wasn't included in your criteria. You certainly can't go wrong at Earls for a casual dinner, day in and day out they tend to be excellent value. In the mean time we will leave the porch light on for you. :)

http://www.earls.ca/

We are so looking forward to visiting VC. We also enjoy a good steak and now have another restaurant to ck out. We plan to pick up something light for lunch. Fruit, drinks and snacks should hold us till the evening meal. It would be nice to keep the food bill around $100 each day. I will check the links listed above. When we return, I will let you know which restaurants we tried. I appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks again,

Mary

One place that is only a block away where you could get your daily "boxed" lunch is the Marketplace IGA - it has a great deli that is busy all the time and you could get sandwiches etc there. They open at 7AM so you don't even have to get it the night before.

Here's as link to the store's website:

http://marketplaceiga.com/grocery-stores/vancouver-29.aspx

While PD likes Earl's - I find the menu more to my liking at Milestone's but you won't go wrong with either one.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

We shop the at IGA Marketplaces all the time and in addition to the deli they have a great bakery and produce department. As I recall, the produce department in the store that Ut has mentioned, has an exceptional produce department.

Hi Putterdude,

The IGA Marketplace sounds great. Besides the waters, drinks and basic needs, it will help to have a deli a block away. We could grab a sandwhich to hold us over while touring. I couldn't help but notice you said that they have a great bakery department. The bakery treat can be saved for when we return to our hotel room at night.

Thanks again,

Mary

Putterdude and UT

We booked our hotel at Sutton Place also. I know once before I asked about taking the sky train to the Hyatt downtown. Is using the Train to Sutton Place easy and is there a stop near or do we have to get off at a spot and take a cab the rest of the way. How much would be a cab to Sutton Place from the airport if we choose to go that way.

Mary,

When will you be at Sutton Place

Putterdude and UT

We booked our hotel at Sutton Place also. I know once before I asked about taking the sky train to the Hyatt downtown. Is using the Train to Sutton Place easy and is there a stop near or do we have to get off at a spot and take a cab the rest of the way. How much would be a cab to Sutton Place from the airport if we choose to go that way.

Mary,

When will you be at Sutton Place

Cab fare from YVR to the Sutton Place will run you $35. If you elect to take the Canada Line at $8.75 each, your best station to get off at will be Vancouver Centre. When you come out of the station walk south (away from the mountains) on Granville St. one block to Robson St. turn right and walk three blocks to Burrard, cross over Burrard then turn left and walk about 3/4's of block and you are there. map

This might have been asked a millions of times but I don't think I'll be able to browse 113 pages...so I'll really appreciate it if you guys can help us out. It'll be our 1st time in Vancouver...we are 2 couples with 1 lil kid each (4 and 3). We plan to arrive in Vancouver 2 days ahead of our cruise to explore the city. I need suggestions regarding transportation from airport to hotel, which hotel to pick (could be around Canada place or anywhere accessible and reasonably priced), transpo to canada place if hotel isn't nearby and lastly things to do in beautiful city of Vancouver with kids. Thanks!

Cab fare from YVR to the Sutton Place will run you $35. If you elect to take the Canada Line at $8.75 each, your best station to get off at will be Vancouver Centre. When you come out of the station walk south (away from the mountains) on Granville St. one block to Robson St. turn right and walk three blocks to Burrard, cross over Burrard then turn left and walk about 3/4's of block and you are there. map

Thanks you are always so helpful:):):)

This might have been asked a millions of times but I don't think I'll be able to browse 113 pages...so I'll really appreciate it if you guys can help us out. It'll be our 1st time in Vancouver...we are 2 couples with 1 lil kid each (4 and 3). We plan to arrive in Vancouver 2 days ahead of our cruise to explore the city. I need suggestions regarding transportation from airport to hotel, which hotel to pick (could be around Canada place or anywhere accessible and reasonably priced), transpo to canada place if hotel isn't nearby and lastly things to do in beautiful city of Vancouver with kids. Thanks!

You could try the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. or the Hampton Inn on Robson St. however both will likely be pushing $200/n. A good alternative is to bid on Priceline.com. If you go to the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, 3*+ and start your bidding at about $100 you should end up with a room at about $125. All hotels in this area and at this rating will be very good hotels, in good areas and about a $10 cab fare from Canada Place...as the cabs in Vancouver are compacts it will require a cab for each family.

Getting from YVR to your hotel you have two options, a cab for each family at $35 each or use our new Canada Line. The Canada Line will cost $8.75 (CDN)/adult with children under 5 being free. Waterfront Station and Vancouver Centre Station will put you within 6 blocks of almost all downtown hotels. However, you do need to be able to handle all of your own luggage as well as the tots...so I will leave that to you.

Things that you will likely care to see in Vancouver with young children would include: Stanely Park with is aquarium, petting zoo, and miniture railroad, the Telus Science Centre, Granville Island (a festival market) and perhaps the Grouse Mountain Skyride. I am sure that others will have some ideas for you.:)

I used Hotwire and got the Sutton Place for their asking price of $123 for Sept. 15th. Hotwire is diff. than Priceline. Hotwire gives you info that can help you pretty much guest the hotel you will get. The prices on Hotwire are running between $115-135 for 4 or 5 star hotels. You can go to a bidding site for assistance. On better bidding, Vancouver for Aug with Priceline is running around $85 to $95.

Hope this helps

Hi Pamkev,

We are arriving in VC on the 15th of September. Our cruise on RC leaves for Hawaii on the 17th. Are you on the same cruise?

Shucks we are not we are on Celebrity leaving on the 17th for a Coastal wine cruise that ends in San Diego:(

Thanks you sooo much! This is a big help, I wasn't sure where to start.

You could try the Best Western-Downtown on Drake St. or the Hampton Inn on Robson St. however both will likely be pushing $200/n. A good alternative is to bid on Priceline.com. If you go to the bidding screen, click on Vancouver-Downtown, 3*+ and start your bidding at about $100 you should end up with a room at about $125. All hotels in this area and at this rating will be very good hotels, in good areas and about a $10 cab fare from Canada Place...as the cabs in Vancouver are compacts it will require a cab for each family.

Getting from YVR to your hotel you have two options, a cab for each family at $35 each or use our new Canada Line. The Canada Line will cost $8.75 (CDN)/adult with children under 5 being free. Waterfront Station and Vancouver Centre Station will put you within 6 blocks of almost all downtown hotels. However, you do need to be able to handle all of your own luggage as well as the tots...so I will leave that to you.

Things that you will likely care to see in Vancouver with young children would include: Stanely Park with is aquarium, petting zoo, and miniture railroad, the Telus Science Centre, Granville Island (a festival market) and perhaps the Grouse Mountain Skyride. I am sure that others will have some ideas for you.:)

We are actually cruising into Vancouver and staying 2 days afterwards. Considering staying at the Marriott/Airport. We would have to disembark and get to the hotel and then start touristy things afterwards. We are kind of pre-planners, so trying to set us up for an easy day on the morning we are flying out. Is this hotel close to the Canada Line Sky Train. Is that easy to maneuver on with luggage?

PD,

Do you think we can get away with just one room at one of these 3 1/2* or 4* hotels? ;)

The hotels at this level will include hotels like the Marriott, the Renaissance, Hyatt Regency and even the Sutton Place .... and even on occasion the Pan Pacific. Priceline's deal is that they are supposed to provide a room with two beds.

We are actually cruising into Vancouver and staying 2 days afterwards. Considering staying at the Marriott/Airport. We would have to disembark and get to the hotel and then start touristy things afterwards. We are kind of pre-planners, so trying to set us up for an easy day on the morning we are flying out. Is this hotel close to the Canada Line Sky Train. Is that easy to maneuver on with luggage?

You will have about a 3 block walk from Canada Place to the Canada Line platform in Waterfornt Station. You will take the Brighouse train to the Brighouse Station then you will have almost another 3 block walk to the hotel. map The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport so that won't be an issue for you. However when you wish to go back downtown you will need to reverse the proceedure outlined above. Have you considered staying downtown? There is both a Marriott and a Renaissance blocks from Canada Place, they often come up if you were inclined to bid on Priceline for under $150/n ...your cabfare will be about $35 to YVR, even if you purchase an all day transit pass you are going to spend $18 each over the two days.

PD,

Do you think we can get away with just one room at one of these 3 1/2* or 4* hotels? ;)

In your original post, you stated there are 2 couples with one child each (total of 6 people). Are you asking if all 6 of you can get away with being in one room?

Ahh, never mind. I see the smiley now. :)

Edited by ell52

Next June we will be staying in a B&B at 1842 Parker Street, Vancouver prior to our boarding Oceania's Regatta for a cruise to Alaska. We will be arriving 14 June and departing 17 June. Would love to recomendations on places to eat, transportation options from Parker St. etc.

Any and all information would be very much appreciated.

Jill

Next June we will be staying in a B&B at 1842 Parker Street, Vancouver prior to our boarding Oceania's Regatta for a cruise to Alaska. We will be arriving 14 June and departing 17 June. Would love to recomendations on places to eat, transportation options from Parker St. etc.

Any and all information would be very much appreciated.

Parker Street is 2 blocks east of Commecial Drive, which is filled with interesting eateries. Google "Restaurant Vancouver commerical drive" and you'll see hundreds of comments about things.

Thank you so much to all of the Vancouver authorities. You are very helpful in planning our upcoming trip and I can't wait to see your city.

We are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre. We are planning on taking the skytrain from the airport. Could you please advise us as to which station to get off and how to get our hotel from there? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Adine