Australian dollar

MMDown Under

There is even talk of parity! That hasn't happened since I was a kid. Now the question is whether to pay the balance of our October cruise now(due in USD in June), or wait and see if the Aussie goes higher?

Steve.

Pacific Sandy.

I know. It would be nice to get parity with the Canadian dollar, but I'm not greedy, so the US dollar will do.

As a frequent traveller, I've always followed currency movements, as I was fascinated by how come Australians live like kings, but travel like paupers, because of our fluctuating undervalued dollar. Even when our dollar was worth US .50 cents, our family still travelled. Once when we went to Europe for a year, we got 71p on the way over and just over 40p on the way back.

Don't flame me.... but I am getting tired of the North Americans being sensitive about their currency falling on global markets. I have been travelling for 12 years with bad exchange rates - and for the first time I will be getting a fairer deal! Maybe others should be grateful that for years they had it so good and now they know how it feels...... just some food for thought! :rolleyes:

Mark.

Don't flame me.... but I am getting tired of the North Americans being sensitive about their currency falling on global markets. I have been travelling for 12 years with bad exchange rates - and for the first time I will be getting a fairer deal! Maybe others should be grateful that for years they had it so good and now they know how it feels...... just some food for thought! :rolleyes:

Mark.

WELL SAID!!

I bought some U.S. dollars on Friday for our forthcoming cruise and got .93 which was great. I too am looking forward to it reaching parity as we have another cruise to pay for in June.

I remember when we were getting $1.20US for our dollar. That was back in the 70's and we thought it was normal!

I too agree with Aussie Cruisers (Mark) post, we too have travelled many times overseas since 1994 and I can remember so well when our dollar was so low, especially in England when we were only getting 0.33pence against the dollar. It was a very expensive trip, especially in London. Then there have been all the cruises we have bought when we were only getting .50 and .60 against our dollar. It is great to be getting better value now.

Jennie

The upside for America is they will benefit from increased tourism. I hope it lasts until we travel to Alaska and Canada next year.

Exactly. My brother is in the travel business in Orange County and has noticed a big increase in foreign leisure visitors - especially Canadians escaping winter.

The amazing thing for me is that our retail prices remain as low as they do. I would buy as much as I could before returning home if I was coming to the US for a holiday.

The Australian $ should have a good run as long as basic commodity demand is high. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Archived