Singles and As You Wish Dining

lettienets

I would like to know how singles are doing with AYWD - is it working for you or not?

My attitude:

I got off the Rotterdam Jan27-Feb 16 South America/Antarctica cruise on which I was travelling alone. Believe me AYWD is not for me. I like a table where I get to know my table companions and by the end of a cruise you feel like family. I don't like how HAL just shoves people into AYWD. I booked my trip over a year before. I had to fight to get fixed dining second seating. As far as AYWD I don't want to:

- wait in line to eat dinner

-make a daily reservation

-be handed a buzzer disk to let me know my table is ready as if I were eating in a roadhouse/restaurant in Seattle

-have an eat and run dining experience

On this cruise we noticed the AYWD area always was cleared out well before the fixed seating and we figured it was because the fixed seating people get to know each other and don't dash off after eating.

Whatever happened to gracious dining? It seems to me cruise lines are getting too casual.

I would like to know how singles are doing with AYWD - is it working for you or not?

My attitude:

I got off the Rotterdam Jan27-Feb 16 South America/Antarctica cruise on which I was travelling alone. Believe me AYWD is not for me. I like a table where I get to know my table companions and by the end of a cruise you feel like family. I don't like how HAL just shoves people into AYWD. I booked my trip over a year before. I had to fight to get fixed dining second seating. As far as AYWD I don't want to:

- wait in line to eat dinner

-make a daily reservation

-be handed a buzzer disk to let me know my table is ready as if I were eating in a roadhouse/restaurant in Seattle

-have an eat and run dining experience

On this cruise we noticed the AYWD area always was cleared out well before the fixed seating and we figured it was because the fixed seating people get to know each other and don't dash off after eating.

Whatever happened to gracious dining? It seems to me cruise lines are getting too casual.

Greetings, lettienets! Welcome to the Cruise Critic HAL board! Did we have a chance to meet aboard the Rotterdam?

In response to your question ... I managed to be lucky enough to be placed in Traditional dining, and so AYWD worked ok. I am very concerned, however, for single/solo travelers who are placed in Open Seating. I'm glad to read you managed to get into fixed seating. I met a bunch of people who were in your situation, as well as many many more who didn't manage to get moved into Traditional seating.

Again, welcome to the board!

I read every post on open seating. It seems most solo cruisers shun open seating.

Of those who tried it or had no choice, it seems split down the middle. Tomc and his "live from" reports on the Noordam seemed to enjoy his solo experience as an opportunity to meet more people.

Solo cruising is on my personal must do list. I think I would be more inclined towards open seating instead of risking being the 5th wheel in fixed seating with no alternative other than eating in cabin or the Lido. I also have a deep fear of finding myself sitting alone, at a table of 8, on formal night, in fixed seating. That's just me. We all have our own baggage.

Solo dining can be quite difficult. I'm fine during the day, but I like the "predictable" experience of having a group of evening diners to share the day with. I've been a solo on five cruises now and when you have a large table of other single/solo travelers the experience can be wonderful.

I was the "fifth wheel" on a cruise in December and just asked for my table to be changed after the first night. The second night I sat with a couple. The third time was a charm when I met a combo table of five with one couple and three singles. It was "perfect."

It's important to go to the single/solo cocktail parties and lunches onboard. In that way, you seem to meet others with the same experience to dine together with in the evening.

I read every post on open seating. It seems most solo cruisers shun open seating.

Of those who tried it or had no choice, it seems split down the middle. Tomc and his "live from" reports on the Noordam seemed to enjoy his solo experience as an opportunity to meet more people.

Solo cruising is on my personal must do list. I think I would be more inclined towards open seating instead of risking being the 5th wheel in fixed seating with no alternative other than eating in cabin or the Lido. I also have a deep fear of finding myself sitting alone, at a table of 8, on formal night, in fixed seating. That's just me. We all have our own baggage.

My last cruises on HAL, Carnival and RCCL I requested a large table of singles and in most cases got exactly that or a mixed table of singles and couples and I was never the fifth wheel and the trips were great. Just this last one on the Rotterdam with the new AYWD, they tried to shove me in the open seating and I complained and then got a mixed table. I would hate to have to find a different group to eat with every night or be placed with a new group where you may be the fifth wheel. All day you are on open seating in the Lido and the dining room for breakfast and lunch. At dinner I enjoy eating with the same people.

Indeed, there is so much discussion on this. I think it’s a shame HAL won’t give people what they want as far as fixed request:(. I’ve had great table experiences in the past. Some people like having new table mates every night, but I think as singles go, most would want to have the same people at the table for the whole cruise, and usually a large table with at least half other solo cruisers. That’s what I like.:)

My last cruise on the Noordam, I was forced to take AYW, Went to the dinning room 4 out of 11 nights. Was seated alone one night, didn’t mind, but I wasn’t even asked if I wanted to be alone, or sit with others. :mad:The other nights were ok too, but not the same as a large table with the same people every night. I went to the lido a LOT more with AYW. I voted against AYW on my card, but majority rules. Have a great cruise anyway.:cool:

Mark…

I will be travelling solo on the Eurodam. I am waitlisted for late, traditional dining. I, too, am very unhappy about the possibility of not being at a large table with the same people each night. As someone else said, I am fine during the day doing things on my own, but I really like a specific table for dinner. If I don't clear the waitlist, will I be able to talk to someone once I board and try to change this? Often times there is an empty seat or two. Thanks! BTW, I am elite on Princess, and giving HAL a try.:p

I also have a deep fear of finding myself sitting alone, at a table of 8, on formal night, in fixed seating. That's just me. We all have our own baggage.

That should never happen in fixed seating, at least it's certainly never happened to me. When my tablemates were planning on not coming to dinner the next night ... maybe we were in port or perhaps they had Pinnacle reservations ... they would generally let the rest of the table know, including the waitstaff. Then, if you were gonna be the only one at the table, you could arrange with the waiter ahead of time to be seated at another table in his station that evening. Believe me, he'd rather move you to another of his tables, than have to worry about your normal table, only being populated by one person, that evening.

When I did my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in 2006, I had exactly this thing happen on two nights during the cruise. We were in Oahu, and everyone at my table was going to a luau that night. I knew I had a full day on the North Shore planned ... and I didn't care to have a full night at a luau too. That particular night I chose to eat in the Lido ... and had a delicious steak dinner with another CCer who happened to be up there dining alone and invited me to sit with her.

Another evening, another luau ... this one in the South Pacific. Again, the whole dining table was going, but I did not care to go. I'm not a big fan of luaus and can't see spending over $200 bucks for something I'm not really going to enjoy. In that case, I asked our server the night before if he would mind if I sat with some other friends who were gonna have some empty spots at their table that next night as well. This was not a problem.

But in flexible dining, you have no control. Unless you set up dining arrangements ahead of time, like with other CCer's, it's gonna be luck of the draw. If you happen to arrive in the dining room at a time when others are all in their groups at tables, it may not be possible for the matri 'd to mix you in with them. Maybe they specifically told him that they wish to dine only with their group.

I really hate the thought of being shown to a table where it is obvious from the looks on the faces of the people there that I am not welcome. But then, I also hate the thought of eating alone when I am on vacation.

But, these are just my perceptions. I'd really appreciate it if you'd let us know how you AYWD experience as a solo works out.

Blue skies ...

--rita

As hammybee said, I ended up with AYW dining (but what h.b. might not know is: I was originally dead set against it and found myself in AYW when HAL ran out of Traditional).

I loved every minute of it, met many nice people and when I returned, asked my TA to change my next cruise's dining choice to AYW.

I did not make table reservations, but just showed up and took luck of the draw. After the first night at a deuce, I asked for a larger table and we stayed until the very end.

As hammybee said, I ended up with AYW dining (but what h.b. might not know is: I was originally dead set against it and found myself in AYW when HAL ran out of Traditional).

I loved every minute of it, met many nice people and when I returned, asked my TA to change my next cruise's dining choice to AYW.

I did not make table reservations, but just showed up and took luck of the draw. After the first night at a deuce, I asked for a larger table and we stayed until the very end.

Are you keeping secrets from me, again?:D

Maybe she's staying incognito or doesn't think we recognize her???? :D

Hello hello Rotterdam tablemates. Since I am new to CC I didn't think you were supposed to send messages to cruisers you met, but here I am new to the group! Lettienets (nickname at home for Loretta)

Hello hello Rotterdam tablemates. Since I am new to CC I didn't think you were supposed to send messages to cruisers you met, but here I am new to the group! Lettienets (nickname at home for Loretta)

Sure, you can! We're a big happy group. Only a very few of us are nasty to other people. You can usually identify them fast enough to give them a wide berth.

I guess I am the exception. I especially like the ability of meeting lots of different people at dinner when I travel solo. I have never found the conversation at an AYW style dining to be to different from that which I have had at traditional tables and never felt rushed to finish dinner earlier then I would in a traditional setting. One of the benefits with AYW is that when I did meet other singles on the ship I was able to join them for dinner a number of different nights.

I definitely agree with the perks of traditional sittings of getting to know your tablemates and wait staff very well. But I do not think the experience between AYW and traditional is different for singles then for a group or couple. I think it really comes down to whether or not you like the concept of AYW dining. If you don't, then it will not be a good experience regardless if you are there solo or with others.

My only disclaimer is I have only done the AYW style dining on other cruise lines and not HAL. I would not expect HAL to be much different though then the experiences I have had else where. If anyone thinks differently let me know.

I guess I am the exception. I especially like the ability of meeting lots of different people at dinner when I travel solo. I have never found the conversation at an AYW style dining to be to different from that which I have had at traditional tables and never felt rushed to finish dinner earlier then I would in a traditional setting. One of the benefits with AYW is that when I did meet other singles on the ship I was able to join them for dinner a number of different nights.

I definitely agree with the perks of traditional sittings of getting to know My only disclaimer is I have only done the AYW style dining on other cruise lines and not HAL. I would not expect HAL to be much different though then the experiences I have had else where. If anyone thinks differently let me know.

I think your experience on HAL will be similar to that of other cruise lines. So much depends upon your own comfort level and a little luck never hurts.

Hello Loretta! Welcome to the CC. The instant I read one of your posts, I knew it was you.

But back to your original topic, it isn't just singles that have potential problems with new tablemates each meal. Since you've met us, you know that we aren't the most outgoing (especially DH ;) ). The thought of being forced to introduce ourselves to a new table each meal would end cruising for us -at least on HAL. Having 'open' seating for those who want it is fine. However, as we all saw on the Rotterdam, many were forced into it and that is NOT acceptable, singles or couples.

I agree that calling for a reservation each morning as something I want to do on vacation. It certainly isn't anything I'd ever expect to see in a list of top-10 favorite things about cruising list. Will it make HAL's "Signature of Excellence" advertising??? Let's see: A telephone with waves and a small HAL ship imposed on the handset. Of course, there'll be a lovely flower beside the phone. Text: Each and every day you can call before 4 p.m. to get dining reservations that evening. [Or take your chances that not everyone shows up at the same time as you desire.] Holland America: Signature of Excellence.

be handed a buzzer disk to let me know my table is ready as if I were eating in a roadhouse/restaurant in Seattle
Is there something about Seattle restaurants I don't know about????

Is there something about Seattle restaurants I don't know about????

Mary Ellen

I just used Seattle as an example when I sent my letter to Head Office. Since that is where they are located, they will know what I mean when I say I don't want my dining experience to be like a general roadhouse/restaurant where you are handed a "buzzer disk" or whatever you call that disk like a hockey puck that let's you know when your table is ready.

I want fine cruiseship dining as advertized by HAL.

I've done "open seating" dining on other lines. I also travel solo a lot of the time. I love going to dinner when I want! I've met interesting, congenial people with open seating that I might not have met with traditional dining.

I think HAL's new system is a great idea. Those who wish to have traditional dining can choose that and those of us who like open seating can be accomodated as well.

Claudia

As a former solo traveler I can see this problem from both sides. IMHO it's more difficult for a single woman not to feel like a 5th wheel. Let's face it, a single man is a social asset---a single woman is often considered a social liability. I lucked out on a long 49-day S. America cruise back in '94 when I was assigned a table for 7 which included two other single women and the daughter and son-in-law of one of them. The eight of us ended up hanging out together all the time.

But that was when I was younger and more resiliant. Would I take a chance on it now if I were to find myself suddenly single? I guess so, but with trepadation I didn't have before.

I hope we're all aware of the things facing the single traveller and make sure we make them feel included. Being a fifth wheel is depressing.

Those who wish to have traditional dining can choose that and those of us who like open seating can be accomodated as well.

If only that were true! Or, over time, become SOP.

But, alas, there have been too many reports of passengers NOT getting what they want (and always it's those wanting traditional), and/or having to fight to get what they want. :(

I've done "open seating" dining on other lines. I also travel solo a lot of the time. I love going to dinner when I want! I've met interesting, congenial people with open seating that I might not have met with traditional dining.

I think HAL's new system is a great idea. Those who wish to have traditional dining can choose that and those of us who like open seating can be accomodated as well.

Claudia

I booked my cruise 9 or 10 months in advance and traditional seating was completely booked. So there was no choice.

Claudia

The problem is that "..those who wish to have traditional dining.." are regularly disappointed. Very few get such a request granted -- usually the best they can expect is "..waitlisted for late dining". Hopefully HAL will re-examine the ratios -- it seems from these boards that far more of HAL's regular passengers prefer traditional dining to AYW. People who want AYW can exist happily in a traditional environment since there are always plenty of empty seats in the traditional environment (Pinnacle, in-room and Lido always draw a few away).

Has anyone EVER seen a post from someone who wanted AYWD and was disappointed? The test of having the right ratio will be when there are equal numbers of AYWD and traditional who seem to have not gotten their request granted.

I hope HAL does something soon to rectify the situation -- they are risking alienating many of their traditional customers -- who came to prefer HAL largely because it was traditional in so many respects.

The problem is that "..those who wish to have traditional dining.." are regularly disappointed. Very few get such a request granted -- usually the best they can expect is "..waitlisted for late dining". Hopefully HAL will re-examine the ratios -- it seems from these boards that far more of HAL's regular passengers prefer traditional dining to AYW. People who want AYW can exist happily in a traditional environment since there are always plenty of empty seats in the traditional environment (Pinnacle, in-room and Lido always draw a few away).

Has anyone EVER seen a post from someone who wanted AYWD and was disappointed? The test of having the right ratio will be when there are equal numbers of AYWD and traditional who seem to have not gotten their request granted.

I hope HAL does something soon to rectify the situation -- they are risking alienating many of their traditional customers -- who came to prefer HAL largely because it was traditional in so many respects.

There is no factual evidence to support that those who want traditional dining are regularly disappointed. Those who post on this board represent a small fraction of those who sail with HAL. The majority of people on this board seem to fear not getting what they want. In reality most do get what they want. When too many want the same thing, at the same time, some of them are going to be disappointed.

Before the option of Open Seating, there were a tremendous number of posts from passengers who insisted they would self destruct if they could not obtain confirmed early seating. What is a cruise line to do when more people want the same thing, at the same time than they have seats available? Only the small luxury ships can come close to accommodating everyone, at the same time.

I do not think it practical to wedge in those who prefer open seating into empty slots in the fixed seating and expect anything but mayhem to ensue. You could have people dining on three different courses at a single table.

From time to time there have been reports of passengers who wanted open seating being assigned to fixed seating. This happens when open seating has been reserved for a large group.

The reason why fixed seating appears to be full even a year out is that HAL is holding back space for potential groups and high production travel agents. In the end, most passengers do seem to get what they want casue the seats are full.

All cruise lines risk alientating their traditional customers every time they make a change. The only thing certain is that the cruising experience will continue to change, going forward.

Archived