Thinking about a cruise, Pacific Sun

spakman

So is formal attire required? :p

Only on formal nights!

Do you own a Safari Suit? :eek:

Is pretty relaxed compared to overseas. On formal nights, dress up a bit by your own standards, or if you want to totally give it a miss, eat in the buffet instead. Is usually one formal night per week of the cruise.

*runs and hides*

I remember what happened to me and Jo the first time safari suits were mentioned :rolleyes:

lol Sam.

Still, I think Safari Suits are far less controversial than this afternoons short lived topic. :eek:

Hardly the same league really.

or if you want to totally give it a miss, eat in the buffet instead. quote]

Geoff, there is no dinner buffet on the Pacific Sun. The only choices are the dining room, pizza or the steakhouse.

There is a charge for the pizza and the steakhouse.

If you don't want to pay, the dining room is the only choice.

On my P/Sun cruise last May a table of younger cruisers were wearing casual gear at the second formal,so I suppose just smart neat cloths would be ok as long as its not beach/street/couch potato wear.

Its nice to see everybody make the effort and get dressed for dinner though.

Den

or if you want to totally give it a miss, eat in the buffet instead. quote]

Geoff, there is no dinner buffet on the Pacific Sun. The only choices are the dining room, pizza or the steakhouse.

There is a charge for the pizza and the steakhouse.

If you don't want to pay, the dining room is the only choice.

Thanks Jenny,

Never gave that a thought, now we are being spoilt with more options down south.

Just pack a shirt with a collar and a pair of duds that aren't made of denim and all will be OK. Or raid your dads attic for the long lost safari Suit :eek:

We have sailed on the Pacific Sun twice, having just returned a couple of days ago (8th March). We are very happy with the ship and are going again fairly shortly.

We knew about the 'no alcohol' rule, but were surprised to find a 'no scissors' rule. If scissors are detected in luggage when it is x-rayed, the bag is marked 'sharps' and the offending item has to be inspected. If the scissors are any larger than tiny manicure scissors they are confiscated for the duration of the cruise. I had to smile when I took part in a craft session on board and was given a very lethal-looking pair of scissors to use.

I have not read anywhere on this forum about the 'no scissors' rule. Either it has been mentioned ages ago and disappeared into the mire of old posts, or it is a new rule.

Keep in mind, I am talking about luggage being checked into the ship, not aircraft carry-on luggage.

We have sailed on the Pacific Sun twice, having just returned a couple of days ago (8th March). We are very happy with the ship and are going again fairly shortly.

We knew about the 'no alcohol' rule, but were surprised to find a 'no scissors' rule. If scissors are detected in luggage when it is x-rayed, the bag is marked 'sharps' and the offending item has to be inspected. If the scissors are any larger than tiny manicure scissors they are confiscated for the duration of the cruise. I had to smile when I took part in a craft session on board and was given a very lethal-looking pair of scissors to use.

I have not read anywhere on this forum about the 'no scissors' rule. Either it has been mentioned ages ago and disappeared into the mire of old posts, or it is a new rule.

Keep in mind, I am talking about luggage being checked into the ship, not aircraft carry-on luggage.

News to me too!

The scrapbookers and quilters will be up in arms over this!! :eek:

The sun is a great ship and for mid 40,s I would say better than the Dawn in some ways!

Remember that if you cruise way outside school holidays there will be quite a few 18-25,s who are out to party the whole cruise.

A good time to go is just after school holidays and you will get a good mix of ages including some children whose parents cant afford the holiday cruises or were too booked up to go.

I hate it when "Alcohol" and "Drugs" are mentioned together as prohibited to be taken onboard! Drugs are illegal Alcohol is not,you cant buy drugs from P&O onboard but alcohol you can,so alcohol smuggling should not be so demonized.

If you like a drink in your cabin then smuggle your own or pay the ships price.

I have smuggled alcohol onboard twice and will do it again,no law is being broken just a P&O rule.

The cabin staff didnt care about the booze in my cabin on my cruises?

An alcoholic could not smuggle enough booze to last a cruise and youger people dont seem to care how much they spend on booze and are allowed to have plenty anyway.

In my oppinion the alcohol rule is unfare and purley a money making rule or why else would last orders be at 5.30am with first orders being 10 am only 4 1/2 hours later? If P&o were that worried about people dissturbing the peace why sell alcohol for such a long period? How many people decide to have a drink at 5am? Not responsable drinkers?

At 5am you are only allowed to purchase 1 drink at a time? As if it really matters? Those people drinking at dawn didnt start an hour or two ago or is P&O catering for insomniacs?

Gin and vodka look like water the rest looks like iced tea but if looking at the original bottle is part of the pleasure then dont bother.

Den

Hi ,

My view is if you have to smuggle alcohol on board maybe you need to rethink goin on a cruise ..Dont get me wrong I love a drink and theres plenty of CCers who will vouch for that eh Chez.Unlike cruises years ago the alchol prices were cheap on board ....duty free but the cruise prices were ...pricey.I think one of the major reasons that cruises fares are so cheap is that cruise companies charge normal ,pub,club prices for drinks ...so the alchol profits helps reduce cruise fares....same as auto tipping.If i go to the cricket or a concert i have to pay more than on a cruise ship.around $3.50 on board for a can of beer i think is acceptable in return for what you get on the cruise.Last cruise we went on we received 200.00 each on board credit....that was a good start.

Just my view

cherrs

col:p

Hi ,

..Dont get me wrong I love a drink and theres plenty of CCers who will vouch for that eh Chez.col:p

Hey.......dont drag me into the debate:p most of you know where I stand on the alcohol smuggling thing........and I love a drink too!! but if you cant follow the rules, dont cruise:rolleyes: or find another cruiseline that will allow you to BYO.

and Col we missed you on the Queens cruise, we needed a bit of Queen:p :D

Chez

xx

Hi Col & Di, how are you both?

Obviously you don't know exactly, hence the question marks:) but approximately when did you sail on Australis? And where to?

Hi Karen

We are both great how are you guys goin? I think its was early 70,s possiblly 71-73 I did a cruise around the pacific ..fiji etc.It was a good cruise .One of my friends at work had sailed on it a few times so he talked me into it.I remembwer he sailed on it because it was cheaper than P@o and sitmar.Chandrislines had 2 other ships sailing ...the patris and eelinis but i didnt sail on either of them.From what i remeber the Australis was a nice ship but lacked the good time cruise fun.

To the OP - click on my Pacific Explorer link in my sig and have a read about the Sun. We just did 12 nights on her and loved it. I'd book it again any time. I thought she was a great ship :D:D

What I find most interesting about the people who are saying they hate the Sun, is that they have been on her multiple times.....:confused: :confused: Couldn't have been all THAT bad, could it?

To the OP - click on my Pacific Explorer link in my sig and have a read about the Sun. We just did 12 nights on her and loved it. I'd book it again any time. I thought she was a great ship :D:D

What I find most interesting about the people who are saying they hate the Sun, is that they have been on her multiple times.....:confused: :confused: Couldn't have been all THAT bad, could it?

The thing is minxy it was good when i first went on it and as i said it has deterioated considerabley and they have done very little to maintain her. The last time i went i was so disappointed to see the stae of her to be honest. But it is a fact of life that things get older:D But it was not only the ship The shows are still the same as they were in june 2006 and even the cooking demo diologue is the same after 3 cruises i think i could have got up and done the joke about the virgin olives etc.

Jen

Jen

The thing is minxy it was good when i first went on it and as i said it has deterioated considerabley and they have done very little to maintain her. The last time i went i was so disappointed to see the stae of her to be honest. But it is a fact of life that things get older:D But it was not only the ship The shows are still the same as they were in june 2006 and even the cooking demo diologue is the same after 3 cruises i think i could have got up and done the joke about the virgin olives etc.

Jen

Jen

We have been on the Pacific Sun a few times recently, as well as Holland America, other P & O ships and a couple of smaller ships. You get what you pay for. We used to go on the Fairstar, and the going price for quad share inside was around $100 per day, and it was around $200 a day for twin share. With the change in the value of money, current prices on P & O are much better value. I can see why there are extras for sale to bring in a bit more revenue. The area that we feel is over-priced is shore tours. But, that is another story.

I think if anyone wants a more up-market ship than the Pacific Sun, they can cruise on Princess or Holland America ships, or the opposition.

The three production shows that many of us have seen on the Pacific Sun are being replaced. There was one new show on the last cruise (6th to 8th March), and two more new ones will be introduced during the Cherry Blossom cruise. :)

We have been on the Pacific Sun a few times recently, as well as Holland America, other P & O ships and a couple of smaller ships. You get what you pay for. We used to go on the Fairstar, and the going price for quad share inside was around $100 per day, and it was around $200 a day for twin share. With the change in the value of money, current prices on P & O are much better value. I can see why there are extras for sale to bring in a bit more revenue. The area that we feel is over-priced is shore tours. But, that is another story.

I think if anyone wants a more up-market ship than the Pacific Sun, they can cruise on Princess or Holland America ships, or the opposition.

The three production shows that many of us have seen on the Pacific Sun are being replaced. There was one new show on the last cruise (6th to 8th March), and two more new ones will be introduced during the Cherry Blossom cruise. :)

You dont have to go far to go a little more upmarket than the sun, pacific Dawn is an unreal ship for not a lot more then u would pay on the sun and to tell the truth i felt a little ripped off last time on the sun.

Thanks MsMinx, I have indeed been reading your review and was waiting on every page :) I hope JP is ok now.

We ended up booking the Pacfic Dawn as we couldn't get an outside cabin (a requirement from SWMBO) on the Sun. Once again thanks for your review, even my wife sat down and read it, and she doesn't like having anything to do with a computer.

Scott

Thanks MsMinx, I have indeed been reading your review and was waiting on every page :) I hope JP is ok now.

We ended up booking the Pacfic Dawn as we couldn't get an outside cabin (a requirement from SWMBO) on the Sun. Once again thanks for your review, even my wife sat down and read it, and she doesn't like having anything to do with a computer.

Scott

Hi Scott! Glad you & your wife enjoyed the review :D I really enjoyed writing it out and re-living each day :D I'm STILL adding photos LOL! JP is feeling much better now, thanks for asking :)

Jen

This was my first time on the Sun so I had no memories of how it once was and nothing to compare it too (other than the Pacific Sky). My impression of the ship is that it's one of the older ones and you get what you get with them. I guess if i'd been on it in it's "hay day" I would have noticed a difference too? Even with the introduction of the Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess (and soon Dawn Princess), I still think we're a long way off paying less for cruises on the older ships though. While there are still people out there willing to pay $4,000 for an outside twin on Main Deck on the old Pac Sun, P&O are still going to charge it.

On a side note - I was in the queue for the purser's desk on the first sea day and overheard a woman not far in front of me complaining to the girls behind her that she was in the queue to complain that her windows were not clean and it wasn't good enough! She said she paid $8 short of $4,000 for her cruise and she expected clean windows! The girls asked if she was up in a suite? No, she said. She was in an outside twin on Main Deck! P&O didn't see her coming - MUCH!! I wonder what she expected? A crew member to be suspended from the nearest railing with a bucket and a squeegie so her window could be cleaned? Silly woman!!! :cool:

Archived