Sunless Tans

janetz

Great thread! And DesperateH is giving excellent advice and I would follow her instructions. I used to be really good at this "self application" myself and want to add just a few other tips that worked for me:

(In addition to all that was said before)

Before applying (but after the exfoliating) put just the smallest amount of a regular lotion (like a dot!) to knees, elbows and around the heel area of your feet. Wait two minutes and then start to apply whichever product as normal. This helps to avoid the extra dark areas where skin tends to be drier. Apply your spray or lotion with gloves, or if no gloves make sure to wash hands carefully palms, wrists and between fingers especially. But you don't want totally pale hands so leave a little on the top...

When finished take a very lightly damp washcloth.. not very wet and dab slightly over knees, elbows, wrists & heels. (basically anywhere you notice that it ends up too dark on you.) Oh yeah, between the toes, too!

Man, I miss Banana Boat's self tanner! Great color for me, medium or dark even though I'm blonde with VERY fair skin. I cannot find it! And it was only like $5!! Whaaa!

Twincruzer, I think it's good that you're starting with Jergens cuz it will help you get better at applying (I think we ALL make mistakes in the beginning) without dark streaks, but honestly, for me I NEVER got the color I wanted regardless of the shade or how often I applied.

Come to think of it, that's probably why it's so popular. For a lot of people, they don't want as dark as me or DesparateH. So it's good if you want a more subtle tan. But for all the time it takes to go thru the process and to do it once or twice a week for update... I want to look TAN & I don't want to have to apply it every day.

Hope these minor tips will help some people. It is not as hard as it sounds! Just takes a lot of words to try & explain...

Hey, DesperateH, how long before you get Fake bake if I order it today?

I'm leaving in 3 weeks! Do you get it pretty quick?

Great thread! And DesperateH is giving excellent advice and I would follow her instructions. I used to be really good at this "self application" myself and want to add just a few other tips that worked for me:

(In addition to all that was said before)

Before applying (but after the exfoliating) put just the smallest amount of a regular lotion (like a dot!) to knees, elbows and around the heel area of your feet. Wait two minutes and then start to apply whichever product as normal. This helps to avoid the extra dark areas where skin tends to be drier. Apply your spray or lotion with gloves, or if no gloves make sure to wash hands carefully palms, wrists and between fingers especially. But you don't want totally pale hands so leave a little on the top...

When finished take a very lightly damp washcloth.. not very wet and dab slightly over knees, elbows, wrists & heels. (basically anywhere you notice that it ends up too dark on you.) Oh yeah, between the toes, too!

Man, I miss Banana Boat's self tanner! Great color for me, medium or dark even though I'm blonde with VERY fair skin. I cannot find it! And it was only like $5!! Whaaa!

Twincruzer, I think it's good that you're starting with Jergens cuz it will help you get better at applying (I think we ALL make mistakes in the beginning) without dark streaks, but honestly, for me I NEVER got the color I wanted regardless of the shade or how often I applied.

Come to think of it, that's probably why it's so popular. For a lot of people, they don't want as dark as me or DesparateH. So it's good if you want a more subtle tan. But for all the time it takes to go thru the process and to do it once or twice a week for update... I want to look TAN & I don't want to have to apply it every day.

Hope these minor tips will help some people. It is not as hard as it sounds! Just takes a lot of words to try & explain...

Is this what you are looking for? :)

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp139721_333181_sespider/banana_boat_sunless_summer_color/self_tanning_lotion_deep_dark.htm

When in doubt, Google it! :D

HI!

Great additional advice!!:D :D

If you order it from the website where I get it from, http://store.gwbeauty.com/ ,say on Monday, you should have it by the end of the week or by the next Monday at the latest.They are really fast!

HI!

Great additional advice!!:D :D Awww... thanks! Hard to explain until you do it a few times, huh?

If you order it from the website where I get it from, http://store.gwbeauty.com/ ,say on Monday, you should have it by the end of the week or by the next Monday at the latest.They are really fast!

yeah and for only 3.95 express shipping... can't decide.

Know any promo codes for savings?

I am ordering right now, with the Sunburn pink blush. (I'm too fair for bronzers to work on my face, makes me look dirty.. Ha!)

Now, Should I get 6 oz cream to start, the tan pack w/polish & oil, or one spray bottle? I gotta start watching my budget for the cruise, but like anyone I want the best bang for my buck. I want to order it today...

Whaddya recommend, perfectly tan desperateH ?

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that like you, I will layer different products. I DO like the Jergens as every day lotion, but that's on TOP of a self tanner that actually gets me more of the BROWN tan color. So it probably works well as an extender for me. By itself, just not enough.

Now, my only problem is behind my knees looses the color sometimes. :o What's up with that? And any tips for me with that problem?

"Man, I miss Banana Boat's self tanner! Great color for me, medium or dark even though I'm blonde with VERY fair skin. I cannot find it! And it was only like $5!! Whaaa! "

i saw some Banana Boat Self Tanner at Target YESTERDAY!! you should run out sometime and see if your local target has some... did it look natural on you? must have or you wouldn't miss it right...lol. maybe i will try some of that. i love this neurtragena mist that i tried, but i want something like a lotion that will last longer (again meaning the actual product not the tan) and i think i will go to mystic tan a day or so before my cruise. that way i can relax and not worry about the tan fading on vacation.

QUESTION: since i will be having a "fake" tan i will have to load on the SPF while im on Vacation. is the sunscreen going to make the sunless fade or wash off or pretty much go away faster? if it is that is not going to stop me from putting on the good 'ol SPF don't worry

Good question..

It's why I got married!

LOL,seriously though, my DH, sister,daughter or friend comes in here!

They will don a pair of my lovely latex gloves and get to work.

Some complain, some don't....either way , they love me and know I would do the same for them!!

I thought about hubby right after I posted my question:p DUH:rolleyes: sometimes I scare myself;) :D :eek:

Dont think he would go for that though...maybe I could bribe my DD..LOL!

I am ordering right now, with the Sunburn pink blush. (I'm too fair for bronzers to work on my face, makes me look dirty.. Ha!)

Now, Should I get 6 oz cream to start, the tan pack w/polish & oil, or one spray bottle? I gotta start watching my budget for the cruise, but like anyone I want the best bang for my buck. I want to order it today...

Whaddya recommend, perfectly tan desperateH ?

Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that like you, I will layer different products. I DO like the Jergens as every day lotion, but that's on TOP of a self tanner that actually gets me more of the BROWN tan color. So it probably works well as an extender for me. By itself, just not enough.

Now, my only problem is behind my knees looses the color sometimes. What's up with that? And any tips for me with that problem?

Okay....

Here is what I would do:

In my opinion, the tan pack is not worth the money.I'll tell you why...

This stuff here?

Skin Smoothie Oil...

goddess-within_1989_114086598

It is the only product this company puts out I do NOT like.I have used it...don't like it one bit.

It is greasy going on and then dries leaving your sking feeling dry, not at all smooth as touted.

A good non -oilbased cream/lotion will do the job for you just as well, save your money. It does smell good though.:D

Next, the kit comes with a body polish.

It is a great polish.If you want it , get it,but don't get it with the kit

If you don't have to have this one....get any one at Walgreens or my favorite store...Bath & body Works.

Gloves The kit comes with purple latex gloves that will last maybe 2 apps.

That it.

They are not magic or special.

Buy a 100 box at Walgreens for $5.99, as you already know.:rolleyes:

Skip the kit and go for the $43.99 3 pack triogoddess-within_1989_116009498 if you want a bang for your buck!

It will last awhile!

Now if you can squeeze a little more, the best bet would be

1-2 individual lotions @( $15.95ea)

1 Legal Sunburn @ 6.95

and thisgoddess-within_1989_115939279($26.99)

Instant Tanning Spray.

This spray gives the instant color I was talking about, as does the one by Tan Inc.( this one is better, but $$)

I need to re-order come to think of it too....sigh....

Behind the knees?

I know....it is from sitting and sweating.

I just apply extra there and talcom powder if I am going to be sitting ( working at a desk) or working out.

Not much else to do!

One of the evils....mine is never bad, barely notice it if you reapply nightly there.

SSSSSSSccccccccreeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

That's the sound of my car peeling out & heading to Target. Thank YOU!

Yeah, I've used a lot of different brands over the years and this one worked the best for me.

I think when people make recommendations about these types of products you should also say WHAT TYPE OF SKIN they have to start with. I agree with a previous poster. Different products work differently on different skin. Can I say different one more time?

I am blonde with very fair Irish skin = burn, peel and it took long consistent work to keep a real tan from the sun. And how healthy is THAT? And several years ago I had a weird reaction on a tan bed: Itchy rash that they said was sun poisoning. So from then on out it's been self tanners for me.

And I lost my favorite! Banana Boats a major brand! I remember seeing it all on sale & thought, hmmmm... I bet they're coming out with a new "better" one or something. Still, I bought 2 or 3 tubes but they're gone now. I need stuff at Target anyway, still shopping, still packing, and I might just throw in a Mystic tan to top it all off right before I go!

3 Weeks from tomorrow is my very first cruise.... Yipppppeeeee!

Why?

He get to see you nekkid!! Or at least that's what he could think..

Thats the thing..he would not stay focused on the job at hand;) :p :D

Then would blame me for it:rolleyes: LOL!!

Thanks again for all your help!! You have been great giving us all these tips:)

QUESTION: since i will be having a "fake" tan i will have to load on the SPF while im on Vacation. is the sunscreen going to make the sunless fade or wash off or pretty much go away faster? if it is that is not going to stop me from putting on the good 'ol SPF don't worry

OOPs I was so excited about the BB, I forgot this great question. Problem is... I don't know. I use the self tanners and so I don't spend Soooo much time in the sun. Not like going on a Cruise to the Carribean!?!?!

My belief is that it kind of stains your skin. I wouldn't do them on the same day, but you're right. It would absolutely NOT be worth it to skip the sunscreen no matter what!!! I just wouldn't try to do them at the same time. Let's see what others have to say.

Thanks again for the Target tip!:D

SSSSSSSccccccccreeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

That's the sound of my car peeling out & heading to Target. Thank YOU!

Yeah, I've used a lot of different brands over the years and this one worked the best for me.

I think when people make recommendations about these types of products you should also say WHAT TYPE OF SKIN they have to start with. I agree with a previous poster. Different products work differently on different skin. Can I say different one more time?

I am blonde with very fair Irish skin = burn, peel and it took long consistent work to keep a real tan from the sun. And how healthy is THAT? And several years ago I had a weird reaction on a tan bed: Itchy rash that they said was sun poisoning. So from then on out it's been self tanners for me.

And I lost my favorite! Banana Boats a major brand! I remember seeing it all on sale & thought, hmmmm... I bet they're coming out with a new "better" one or something. Still, I bought 2 or 3 tubes but they're gone now. I need stuff at Target anyway, still shopping, still packing, and I might just throw in a Mystic tan to top it all off right before I go!

3 Weeks from tomorrow is my very first cruise.... Yipppppeeeee!

You have the same skin type as me and I too have gotten sun poisoning many times. I am going to try the Banana bfirst. I only want to use one item, not 2 or 3. I will do a Mystic too. I will order from the link I posted before. :D Have a GREAT cruise. The first is always the best.

You have the same skin type as me and I too have gotten sun poisoning many times. I am going to try the Banana bfirst. I only want to use one item, not 2 or 3. I will do a Mystic too. I will order from the link I posted before. :D Have a GREAT cruise. The first is always the best.

I order from them all the time..the link you posted,is drugstore.com

Use this page to find a coupon!

I can't use them b/c I am not a new customer but if you are you can!!

You could free shipping...:D

http://www.mrcheapstuff.com/categories/health-beauty/drugstorecom-coupons/

I do stuff like this every time I order online!!

Okay....

Here is what I would do:

Behind the knees?

I know....it is from sitting and sweating.

I just apply extra there and talcom powder if I am going to be sitting ( working at a desk) or working out.

Not much else to do!

One of the evils....mine is never bad, barely notice it if you reapply nightly there.

OK, unless the TRIO bottles were larger than the 6oz bottles @$15.95, I'm going to skip it until I know I love the product. Not enough of a savings to have more, unless you need a lot of product & 6oz doesn't last long...

I still want the Sunburn blush and I'm thinking the spray will be good for quick touch ups and that nasty behind the knee fading. Love the talcum powder/reapply technique... I'll give this a try.

You have been so helpful, thanks!

(and not to hijack this thread but YOU are cracking me up today with the Photo advice thread & Glamour Shots!! Now I just look for your name on a post & think... uh oh.... I gotta read this :D!!)

HEY this thread has been busy today! I was at the mall getting my Glamour Shots done, sorry I missed out on the fun!

KIDDING!

Someone asked about sunscreen on top of sunless tanner...

I do the sunless at night, never in the morning, that's just me. BUT I think b'c I do it that way I have no problem using sunscreen the next day b'c the sunless has had time to soak in and develop without the interference from the different chemicals in the sunscreen.

And how I get my back done is with $1 per application bribe to DD!

I have to have hand surgery-this will be the 3rd time in 6 months--long story-so I am thinking of getting my 1st ever mystic since I won't be able to do my sunless one handed. I hope I like it! Last 2 surgeries I just went without :(

HEY this thread has been busy today! I was at the mall getting my Glamour Shots done, sorry I missed out on the fun!

KIDDING! This has been a really funny day!

And how I get my back done is with $1 per application bribe to DD!

Smart move!

I have to have hand surgery-this will be the 3rd time in 6 months--long story-so I am thinking of getting my 1st ever mystic since I won't be able to do my sunless one handed. I hope I like it! Last 2 surgeries I just went without :(

You better go and get that mystic tan! You deserve it!! And....um... it wouldn't happen to be carpal tunnel (sp?) Would hate for that to happen to those of us who spend waaaaaaaay too much time on the boards!

Yikes!

(Sorry to hear about your hand & please forgive me if my kidding is inappropriate... again, we've been kind of laughing a lot lately.)

WooooHoooo you sexy bi-atch! Nice pic! Your creepy bratz doll pic was cute but I like this pic better :)

Maybe I'll be daring and post a real pic of me too...

Double-dog-dare me?????

You mean my kincaid-bratz doll...get it right!!:rolleyes: :D

You MUST post a pic...I triple dog dare ya!!:eek:

Whatdya gonna do now..step up!!

C'mon..that's right!!

OK, unless the TRIO bottles were larger than the 6oz bottles @$15.95, I'm going to skip it until I know I love the product. Not enough of a savings to have more, unless you need a lot of product & 6oz doesn't last long...

I still want the Sunburn blush and I'm thinking the spray will be good for quick touch ups and that nasty behind the knee fading. Love the talcum powder/reapply technique... I'll give this a try.

You have been so helpful, thanks!

(and not to hijack this thread but YOU are cracking me up today with the Photo advice thread & Glamour Shots!! Now I just look for your name on a post & think... uh oh.... I gotta read this :D!!)

:D :D :D :D

You better go and get that mystic tan! You deserve it!! And....um... it wouldn't happen to be carpal tunnel (sp?) Would hate for that to happen to those of us who spend waaaaaaaay too much time on the boards!

Yikes!

(Sorry to hear about your hand & please forgive me if my kidding is inappropriate... again, we've been kind of laughing a lot lately.)

LOL!! NO kidding/laughing is EVER inappropriate to me...I need all the laughs I can get with my hand situation. Believe me, I've heard all the hand jokes there are since the beginning of my ordeal.

WARNING: THIS PART IS LONG WINDED AND VERY BORING!!

Nope, not carpal tunnel thank god...I work in surgery and got stuck in the palm with a #15 scalpel on Sept 5 2007. It was less than 1/2 inch puncture that sliced right on thru down to the 2 tendons in my palm between the 2 parallel creases, these tendons operate my right ring finger. Nice, huh? Yes, I am right handed. Had tendons repaired the next day, surgical repair involved making an incision from just below my ring finger on my palm all the way down to my wrist, zag-zag, looks like a Harry Potter scar. I spent the following 8 weeks splinted and wrapped and went to occupational therapy daily. During that time the repair scarred down to the tendon sheath and surrounding tissue so on Dec 6th (Hellloooooo my BIRTHDAY) I had a tenolysis which is where they go in, open it all back up again and free up the tendon from the sheath and scar tissue. Again with wrap/splint and the daily therapy and doc visits every few weeks. Saw my doc 3 days before our cruise and he told me I'd probably need another surgery b'c it scarred down again, I told him to shut up till I come back from cruise b'c couldn't stand to think about it. Cruised, had a ball, had minimal trouble with hand at Dunn's RIver Falls from all the hand holding and while Kayaking in Mexico-I have very little grip strength so it was tough to hold on to the paddle...

ANYWAY, saw doc last week and talked about it and this time I'm having a 2 stage tendon graft involving a rod and donor graft blah blah blah...

If anyone has a strong stomach and mega curiosity I have pics of the whole ordeal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYWAY I'll be without the use of my right hand for about 8 weeks for the 3rd time in 6 months. "Honey, can you zip my fly/tie my shoes/wipe my butt" :eek: LOL!

So, long story short, you are DARN right I deserve Mystic! LOL!!!!!

I went to mystictan.com, and you can put in your zip code to find a location closest to you. That's what I did, and I will be going next week. If it turns out as well as I'd like, I might mention it to a few places closer by, so that they know people are looking for it.

It's not a long drive away for me - I found three places that were pretty close. But, I would have loved a place five minutes away or on my way home from work.

JanetZ, I don't know how I missed this in the flurry of posts, but I guess this is the new & improved one. Packaging is different and they've added the bronzer which makes it.... yep BETTER! You can see results as you're applying which helps avoid streaks & you get the benefit of instant color.

(I just hope the color is as good as the original formula... it was very natural & not orange at all)

Thank you for finding it for me! I live in such a big city that I normally just find what I need at the stores & actually forget that I can just order basic stuff on the internet!

I am really pleased with all the help everyone shows on this site!:D

So, long story short, you are DARN right I deserve Mystic! LOL!!!!!

OMG! What an ordeal! Yet you climbed Dunns Falls and went Kayaking??!! You must be a pretty tough cookie! I'm glad you are able to laugh through all of this. You are an inspiration for those of us with our petty gripes for sure. At least you're in good hands... sorry, couldn't resist...

Okay, for sure the mystic tan for you, but I think you need to rethink how you celebrate birthdays :rolleyes: . You go get the full package of mystic tans that I won't allow myself and throw in a mani-pedi & a massage!!

Hang in there! Now about those photos...:eek:.... just don't make it your avitar... ahhhhhh!

Archived