Sunless Tans

janetz

Hi everyone! I never seem to have good luck with lotions, and sprays that are suppose to give you a beautiful tan. I really do not want to go to the tanning salon. Can you all tell me what you use and why you love the product. :) Thanks ahead girls!

Click on the link below as I have provided more info on them!

I have tried all of them out there...and I do mean all! Jergens is good, but for me, it just never gets quite dark enough in the summer.(But I have a hard time finding the dark version and can only find medium)

Coppertone, l'Oreal, the towels, gels, creams, I have had it and tried it!

They either faded icky, were orange, or smelled gross.

Some great ones I have tried with awesome success ( and I have tried them all) are:

Mystic Tan ( Achieved at a salon in a spray booth. Be sure to exfoliate like all hell:eek: first and follow up with a great non-oil based moisturizer. They can recommend one. In between, you can you their bronzer and you will look amazing! ( Or use one of the products below)

Fake Bake: Gives the darkest tan possible for a sunless tan, just a little time consuming...at first.But you get to be a pro!

It will last a lot longer, and the color is never orange.

Can be messy if not done right! Color does wash off sheets, smell is light.

I LOVE this stuff and the whole line.If you purchase this...invest in a box of latex gloves from Walgreens/CVS and you can't go wrong...they will last forever!

Brown Sugar by Tan Inc.: This is a new one I started using and I love it because it gives an instant bronze when you spray it, so you can 1) See where it is going, 2)Achieve instant results while waiting for deeper color to develop.

Con= Is that you have to spray carefully in a tub/showerstall or outdoors as it has an overspray. The overspray will wash off, but once dried on the skin it will not transfer or run, which is great!

*Note: I work out daily and do not have a problem with running or staining.;)

Any questions..feel free to ask.:D

Click on the link below as I have provided more info on them!

I have tried all of them out there...and I do mean all! Jergens is good, but for me, it just never gets quite dark enough in the summer.(But I have a hard time finding the dark version and can only find medium)

Coppertone, l'Oreal, the towels, gels, creams, I have had it and tried it!

They either faded icky, were orange, or smelled gross.

Some great ones I have tried with awesome success ( and I have tried them all) are:

Mystic Tan ( Achieved at a salon in a spray booth. Be sure to exfoliate like all hell:eek: first and follow up with a great non-oil based moisturizer. They can recommend one. In between, you can you their bronzer and you will look amazing! ( Or use one of the products below)

Fake Bake: Gives the darkest tan possible for a sunless tan, just a little time consuming...at first.But you get to be a pro!

It will last a lot longer, and the color is never orange.

Can be messy if not done right! Color does wash off sheets, smell is light.

I LOVE this stuff and the whole line.If you purchase this...invest in a box of latex gloves from Walgreens/CVS and you can't go wrong...they will last forever!

Brown Sugar by Tan Inc.: This is a new one I started using and I love it because it gives an instant bronze when you spray it, so you can 1) See where it is going, 2)Achieve instant results while waiting for deeper color to develop.

Con= Is that you have to spray carefully in a tub/showerstall or outdoors as it has an overspray. The overspray will wash off, but once dried on the skin it will not transfer or run, which is great!

*Note: I work out daily and do not have a problem with running or staining.;)

Any questions..feel free to ask.:D

Thanks so much. :) Love your screename. :p

I would like to join in this conversation!:) I'm thinking of trying the Jergens... It seems like alot of people have good things to say about this one.

I do have a few questions for anyone that has used it...

• How long does it take to acheive "tan"?
  • Does the tan continue to progress after each application or does it reach a point where you don't really get any "tanner" :p (I want a deep tan ~ not freakishly, but a definite tan!)
  • Is it natural looking?
  • Does it really give you a glow?:o
  • Is it like other self tanning products where you need to be careful to wash your hands immediately after application:eek:
  • does it come off on your clothes?:mad:

ThAnKs so much everyone!!! I'm scared to death of tanning booths but I would really love to have a nice tan for our April cruise and then I will just spray on the 50 spf while I sip my drink of the day by the pool ;) with my fabulous "tan"!!! LOL!!

I have tried Jergens. It works by slowly darkening your skin, doesn't wash off or get on your clothes. With my pale skin, I found I achieved a nice glow from the medium. I would like to try the dark version.

I agree with a previous poster on exfoliating - pick up a body scrub to use the day before and use it all over. You will "tan" much more evenly that way.

I have been thinking of going to a salon to try the spray. I figure I can check it out sometime soon, and if I like it, I can go back before my cruise in August.

I used Neutrogena spray previously too, and that worked wonderful for me.

Sorry, had a lot of shopping to do today!

Ok..

Jergens:

No, it does not really give you a glow, it graually darkens( tans) each day depending on how much you apply and the formula you choose to use. They make a light, medium and dark.

It can take anywhere to a day to several days depending on how much you apply and how often with this particualr product.

(Others are much faster, but this one is diluted with a lot of moisturizers)

The DHA, the active tanning agent in this product is not as prolific, so it has to 'build up' in/on your skin, where other have a much higher concentration of the agent.

I find this one to be quite natural becuase it is slow to build and never really gets to deep, on me.

You have to remember, though, everyones skin tone is different,so if it starts to get too deep, stop or back off.It never turned me orange...other definately have. Hawaiin Tropics is one....awful!

Yes!! Do wash your hands b/c depending on if you have dry patches you mind get a spot or two.If is NOT as bad as a real self tanner for sure...those you must be vigilant about, this...not so much. Just be cautious.

No, it does not come off on your clothes. I work out all summer long and nver had any problems.Sand is a whole different story though....

It will take it off after repeated exposure to the sand!

What kind of spray do they use at the salon you would go to? :)

If you click on that Mystic Tan link it will take you directly to the Mytic Tan website.

The spray they use at the salon is by Mystic.

Go to the website and it explains it better than I ever could and shows you a video.;)

If you still have questions, or I misunderstood, let me know.:D

You can also get an airbrush tan at salons in your area...call local hair/spa salons...ton offer it now.

Where I live it is on average $25 a session.

A tech hand sprays you with a wand( airbrush) that has a self tanner in it and instant bronzer.

You can choose to go completely nude or in a suit.

They basically paint on a tan!

How dark you choose is up to you...1 or more sessions.

A woman I knew to be a avid year round indoor tanner starting doing it and I never knew she switched, it looked that real.

She had been diagnosed with cancer on her back and stopped tanning.:eek:

Sorry, had a lot of shopping to do today!

Ok..

Jergens:

No, it does not really give you a glow, it graually darkens( tans) each day depending on how much you apply and the formula you choose to use. They make a light, medium and dark.

It can take anywhere to a day to several days depending on how much you apply and how often with this particualr product.

(Others are much faster, but this one is diluted with a lot of moisturizers)

The DHA, the active tanning agent in this product is not as prolific, so it has to 'build up' in/on your skin, where other have a much higher concentration of the agent.

I find this one to be quite natural becuase it is slow to build and never really gets to deep, on me.

You have to remember, though, everyones skin tone is different,so if it starts to get too deep, stop or back off.It never turned me orange...other definately have. Hawaiin Tropics is one....awful!

Yes!! Do wash your hands b/c depending on if you have dry patches you mind get a spot or two.If is NOT as bad as a real self tanner for sure...those you must be vigilant about, this...not so much. Just be cautious.

No, it does not come off on your clothes. I work out all summer long and nver had any problems.Sand is a whole different story though....

It will take it off after repeated exposure to the sand!

If you click on that Mystic Tan link it will take you directly to the Mytic Tan website.

The spray they use at the salon is by Mystic.

Go to the website and it explains it better than I ever could and shows you a video.;)

If you still have questions, or I misunderstood, let me know.:D

You can also get an airbrush tan at salons in your area...call local hair/spa salons...ton offer it now.

Where I live it is on average $25 a session.

A tech hand sprays you with a wand( airbrush) that has a self tanner in it and instant bronzer.

You can choose to go completely nude or in a suit.

They basically paint on a tan!

How dark you choose is up to you...1 or more sessions.

A woman I knew to be a avid year round indoor tanner starting doing it and I never knew she switched, it looked that real.

She had been diagnosed with cancer on her back and stopped tanning.:eek:

Thanks for the great info! :)

Before my Disney land/sea cruise 2 years ago I went to the tanning salon to get a spray on tan.

What a mistake.

I stood in a booth naked and a spray of the tanning solution misted out all over me. I then had to quickly blend it in. Needless to say I missed quite a few spots that I couldn't reach or didn't see.

My DS made fun of me all week walking around Disney.

I will check for other options since I just learned from this thread that I could have some one do it for me.

Or I may just have DH spray me a couple of times while I stand in the shower.

Denise

Before my Disney land/sea cruise 2 years ago I went to the tanning salon to get a spray on tan.

What a mistake.

I stood in a booth naked and a spray of the tanning solution misted out all over me. I then had to quickly blend it in. Needless to say I missed quite a few spots that I couldn't reach or didn't see.

My DS made fun of me all week walking around Disney.

I will check for other options since I just learned from this thread that I could have some one do it for me.

Or I may just have DH spray me a couple of times while I stand in the shower.

Denise

Ugh, that no fun!

Hmmm....that could have been your big mistake,though, trying to quickly blend it in.

I do not know if you tried Mystic or another form,( There are booths out there carrying Mystic labels but not the products b/c of cost.BIG difference, inferior by FAR...they streak!)but with Mystic you are not to touch it.

It gives you such an even flawless spray that you should NOT have to do anything but turn when instructed.The microbursts are so fine, they cover every square inch of you.

Believe me, I have had horrible experiences!:eek:

A Mystic, true mystic done with proper equipment, is flawless.

Another point I would like to make is you HAVE to make sure your skin is prepped properly as well. If you have any rough patches/spots, this will cause uneven coloring. ..no matter WHAT product you use, or how much $$ you spend.

The night before I do the initial "kickoff":D , I use a seasalt or sugar scrub after saoking in a warm bath. Sounds like torture, huh?

I rub in a circular motion all over every inch of my body.

May sound like a pain, but you have to do it once and you will get great results!

Upkeep is then to just use a great moisturizer daily.Dry NOT to use a mineral oil based one... it interfers with the DHA.

Shaving will usually keep any dead skin from building back up quickly.

Once a month, repeat if you are self tanning all summer/season.

All great info provided by Heather :)

The only thing I can add is that if you choose a spray that you buy at the store, be VERY CAREFUL because so many of these streak. I find that it really is worth the extra effort to get a good lotion with a bronzer in it so you can see right away where it's going, don a pair of gloves and really rub the stuff in evenly. And if after all of your pre-exfoliating you find that you have dry patches-I tend to have them on my knees and around my ankles, on my elbows-go lighter here because if you rub the same amount into the dry patches that you are using everywhere else it will look much darker there. I walked around with dirty looking knees one year-lots of rude comments! LOL!

Also, after you take off your gloves make sure you use the backs of your hands to kind of blend it in around your wrists so you don't have lines that stop at your wrists where your gloves were!

i would suggest a small splurge and buy a few different kinds and experiment to see which works best for you.

Enjoy the time you get to spend pampering yourself! :p

I totally agree with Desperatehousewife regarding the FakeBake. I've used the Jergens and liked it, but the color isn't as natural on me as the FakeBake is. Also, since I use the Jergens in place of my regular body lotion, I notice my skin is drier - it doesn't moisturize that well.

I use the FakeBake airbrush spray, which is very easy to use. The mist is very fine, and dries almost instantly. I've never had it streak or get blotchy, and it seems to fade very evenly and not leave me with brown spots.

I've not seen it in any stores around where I live, but I found it on line after googling - http://www.cravebeautyonline.com. Really the most natural color I've ever had in a fake tanner, and I've also used the Mystic Tan spray booths. The FakeBake color is a golden brown, and looks more like my skin does when I used to tan.

Good luck,

Cathy

I totally agree with Desperatehousewife regarding the FakeBake. I've used the Jergens and liked it, but the color isn't as natural on me as the FakeBake is. Also, since I use the Jergens in place of my regular body lotion, I notice my skin is drier - it doesn't moisturize that well.

I use the FakeBake airbrush spray, which is very easy to use. The mist is very fine, and dries almost instantly. I've never had it streak or get blotchy, and it seems to fade very evenly and not leave me with brown spots.

I've not seen it in any stores around where I live, but I found it on line after googling - http://www.cravebeautyonline.com. Really the most natural color I've ever had in a fake tanner, and I've also used the Mystic Tan spray booths. The FakeBake color is a golden brown, and looks more like my skin does when I used to tan.

Good luck,

Cathy

Don't you lurv that stuff?:D

Here is another site to help anyone intersested in trying it....this is where I always get in from.

They have the best prices by far,when you buy like I do!! Free shipping on larger orders. ( it is called GodessWithin)

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=goddess-within&query=fake+bake

(This link shows you the whole lineFake Bake offers too....they have some DANDY little products to do along with the tanner!!)

I have order many times, so I can vouch for them, really good email contact.

One time they ran out and they emailed me right away and gave me a discount, and then overnighted it when it came in. I wasn't even complainin'!

Did you find the color of the Mystic Tan to be natural? I am really interested in trying it out this year...a couple of years ago I decided I was not going to use tanning beds anymore (mostly because I am worried about wrinkles, but I suppose any reason to stop is better than none :) ) but I can't stand to be pale in the summertime and while on cruises.

I have tried so many self-tanners, and the most natural color (for me) by far was the Fake Bake, but my application skills are SOOOOO bad, I can never seem to get it to look even and without streaks. I exfoliate beforehand, and follow the directions to the letter. Tried several times and never got any better at it...

So I am thinking of trying Mystic Tan...maybe I am just not meant to do this myself :)

TIA for any advice/experiences...

Did you find the color of the Mystic Tan to be natural? I am really interested in trying it out this year...a couple of years ago I decided I was not going to use tanning beds anymore (mostly because I am worried about wrinkles, but I suppose any reason to stop is better than none :) ) but I can't stand to be pale in the summertime and while on cruises.

I have tried so many self-tanners, and the most natural color (for me) by far was the Fake Bake, but my application skills are SOOOOO bad, I can never seem to get it to look even and without streaks. I exfoliate beforehand, and follow the directions to the letter. Tried several times and never got any better at it...

So I am thinking of trying Mystic Tan...maybe I am just not meant to do this myself :)

TIA for any advice/experiences...

Very...

I still like the Fake Bake better overall, but for when I do not want to invest the time or "want a quickie";) :D it is great!

They have two colors when you go, btw way.

One has an instant bronzer, the other is clear.

The instant bronzer is great for when you are already tan, clear is the way to go starting out.

The tan with then gradually develop over the next several hours.

Very...

I still like the Fake Bake better overall, but for when I do not want to invest the time or "want a quickie";) :D it is great!

They have two colors when you go, btw way.

One has an instant bronzer, the other is clear.

The instant bronzer is great for when you are already tan, clear is the way to go starting out.

The tan with then gradually develop over the next several hours.

Thanks so much for the tips! I am definitely going to give it a try this year. Think I might also order the Fake Bake spray...I liked the color so much, maybe I would have more luck with the spray than the lotion.

i get the feeling that most of you narrow it down to fake bake or Jergins is that right? i would like to try a sunless tanning i think instead of going to the tanning beds (i wanted to tan but i didn't know it was so expensive!!!) i think i am better off going sunless anyway.

also...i see that if you have dry spots they darken faster than the rest of your body, would it work to use a heavy moisturizer for a week or so (everyday out of the shower for example) before you start the sunless to prevent that? and if i get a nice "tan" or "glow" once i get on the ship should i continue to use it so it does not fade during my trip or will the sunscreen and tanning lotion interfere with each other?

I just did a google search on Mystic Tan, and I found a place not too far from where I live. The person I spoke to was very informative, and the price is only $17.00. She said it lasts from 5 to 7 days, so I think it's worth a try! Once I go, I will post back here. I really look forward to the opportunity. I will use a nice body scrub before I go, and then see how things work. I think the price is really good. If it works out well, I plan on going back, especially before my cruise in August.

On a side note, I am deaf and the first person I spoke to using relay hung up. The second time I called back, I got a wonderful person who said that I didn't need an appointment, but if I gave her my name, she would make sure the other girls know that I am hearing impaired and to make sure I know what is going on. How nice to have someone help without making me feel stupid!

I do not know if you tried Mystic or another form,( There are booths out there carrying Mystic labels but not the products b/c of cost.BIG difference, inferior by FAR...they streak!)but with Mystic you are not to touch it.

It gives you such an even flawless spray that you should NOT have to do anything but turn when instructed.The microbursts are so fine, they cover every square inch of you.

Believe me, I have had horrible experiences!:eek:

A Mystic, true mystic done with proper equipment, is flawless.

Thank you for the info. I was told by the salon lady to rub the spray in. I guess it wasn't Mystic. I will look for a Mystic salon and give them a try.

Denise

Archived