Sunless Tans

janetz

JanetZ, I don't know how I missed this in the flurry of posts, but I guess this is the new & improved one. Packaging is different and they've added the bronzer which makes it.... yep BETTER! You can see results as you're applying which helps avoid streaks & you get the benefit of instant color.

(I just hope the color is as good as the original formula... it was very natural & not orange at all)

Thank you for finding it for me! I live in such a big city that I normally just find what I need at the stores & actually forget that I can just order basic stuff on the internet!

I am really pleased with all the help everyone shows on this site!:D

Ok then. I am not buying it till I hear how it works for you. ;)

i have yet another question about sunless tans...

do any of you use or know of a product that does not have that sunless tan odor? i dont mind the scent that much but my BF cant stand it! i saw that jergens has a "new formula" or something that is suposed to spell like fruit or tropical or something i was wondering if anyone knew if it smelled better?

thanks!

Why?

He get to see you nekkid!!;) :D :D Or at least that's what he could think..:rolleyes:

The problem with that is, he THINKS he's going to get more than just seeing me nekkid. FAT CHANCE...we're doing something serious here...we're getting my tan...period!!! :p

Hi,

Just found this thread and I am so grateful! I just ordered Fake Bake mousse. It came with a free blush (Illegal Sunburn). My question is for desperatehousewife....do you think that will be okay. I know you use the spray. Thanks for the advice. I tried Jergans, too and all the others. They either don't get dark enough, are streaky or rub off on my clothes. I leave in three weeks.:)

Okay ~ Where's desperatehousewife??? :D

I've been using the Jergens for about five days now and I've been doing the twice a day thing like you suggested... and you're right - the color is just not doing it for me!!!:mad: I should note ~ It's a nice color, for someone that just wants a "hint" of color or should I say "glow" ~ but I was hoping for a richer tan. more brown(ish) less Golden... kwim?

Well, at least I have the application process down.:rolleyes: Now what would you suggest? We don't have mystic tan here or I would try that. Has anyone tried the Loreal Sublime bronze? It seems I've read some good things about that somewhere..:confused: maybe I should just order the fake bake.

And should I wait a few days before I try something new or can you just move on to the next self-tanner?? LOL

What a girl will do for a suntan...:cool:

My dd does my back - I think DH was wondering why I didn't ask him... but like someone already said - this is not playtime!;)

Hi,

Just found this thread and I am so grateful! I just ordered Fake Bake mousse. It came with a free blush (Illegal Sunburn). My question is for desperatehousewife....do you think that will be okay. I know you use the spray. Thanks for the advice. I tried Jergans, too and all the others. They either don't get dark enough, are streaky or rub off on my clothes. I leave in three weeks.

Sorry, I guess I am a little confused as to the actual question...

Do I think the mousse will be okay?

Absolutely!:D

I have actually tried the mousse, but I am just not a mousse kinda girl! I know that sounds silly, but I never even liked the stuff for my hair, I always feel like I am putting food products on my body/hair.:eek: :D

However, they put the same ingredients in the mousse as they do the other forms, so whatever kind floats your boat, that is why they make so many different versions.;) A lot of people feel it is more luxurious feeling....

I just get hungry.

That's great you got a freebie!:D

3 weeks is a good amount of time to get started and perfect your routine and tan. Don't forget to exfoliate!

Start now while your waiting for it to ship...

Go purchase a box of latex gloves from the drugstore or Target( under $5) They will be the best purchase to go with that mousse.

Trust me.;)

(Once you have them in the house...you find a you need them a lot

more, too, for household jobs;cleaning toilets,chopping onions!)

Any other questions..let me know!

Happy cruising!!

Okay ~ Where's desperatehousewife???

I've been using the Jergens for about five days now and I've been doing the twice a day thing like you suggested... and you're right - the color is just not doing it for me!!! I should note ~ It's a nice color, for someone that just wants a "hint" of color or should I say "glow" ~ but I was hoping for a richer tan. more brown(ish) less Golden... kwim?

Well, at least I have the application process down.Now what would you suggest? We don't have mystic tan here or I would try that. Has anyone tried the Loreal Sublime bronze? It seems I've read some good things about that somewhere..maybe I should just order the fake bake.

And should I wait a few days before I try something new or can you just move on to the next self-tanner?? LOL

What a girl will do for a suntan...

My dd does my back - I think DH was wondering why I didn't ask him... but like someone already said - this is not playtime!

I am here!!:D

It is Ok...

We will get you tan!

Personally, I have tried the Sublime...

I did not have good results, I turned really really orange!

So orange, my mom laughed at me and said I look like I had liver issues!

I was NOT funny!:eek:

My feet were REALLY orange..cuz they got the darkest...it was bad.

Now, again, everyone reacts really different to over the counter products and there are people that absolutely love the stuff.

( Hence, why I ran out and tried it, trying to save a buck in the name of vanity!)

I have to wait 2 weeks while I 'deactivated' and was 'holed' up in the house for fear people would think I was ill!:eek:

If it was me, and you did ask, I would just bite the bullet and order the good stuff. I have never heard anyone say they turned orange off of the Fake Bake...it just does not compare.;)

It is worth it,to look and feel good and not worry about tossing money away on several products that fail. ( let alone the grief and embarassment!):D

Just my $.02....

Let us know what you decide.:D

Fake Bake 101:D

Ok ladies, there are so many ordering, or considering ordering the Fake Bake, that I thought it might be helpful to tell you a few things about the application!

We want perfection right?

Right!

Ok..so here are a few things might make it easier for you all when applying it.

· Fake Bake looks like baby poop:eek: …there is no other way to say it. When you receive it and open the bottle, you might be a little shocked. It is very, very dark in color, and thick! This is to allow the user to see where it is going, and so you do not have any chance of missing a spot like in a normal sunless tanner,i.e.streaks!

· You will want to apply with LATEX gloves, buy yourself a box! Start at the feet first, using a tiny amout. Rub in a circular motion. **Note: Put a dot of skin/hand lotion on each toe and allow to absorb or rub in gently before apply to toes. I also like to apply toes with sponge…read below.

· To get the knees and back of hands ,I use a makeup sponge. ( Triangle shaped) This allows you to remove your gloves, wash, and then apply a teeny tiny amount to the sponge. Start at the top of the wrist and work forward to the hand area in a sweeping motion to the fingers. Now, if you find the hand feel dry, before you do this, I like to lather them up with a small amount of hand lotion. This allows for better blending. Continue to fingers and blend, blend blend! Make sure to get in between fingers, or you will look webbed! Wave hands to dry them…Voila! That is how to tan hands once washed!

· This product goes on at NIGHT and you sleep in it. You will scare yourself and any family members in the house when you exit the bathroom or upon first glance. You will look like an aborigine. The product dries fairly quickly, but wait to get dressed until completely dry. I put on a loose ratty T-shirt in the meantime.**If any product does get on your clothing, it will/does wash of completely, it does NOT stain.

· Sleep: wear something loose and comfortable to bed. Again, it may be likely that some product could get on your sheets, it will NOT stain. I usually take a spare sheet and fold it under my side , toss it in the wash in the morning.

· This product does NOT have a long shelf life like the other over the counter ones as it contains very natural ingredients. It was suggested to me ( I buy a lot) that I store any extra or any I am not using in the refrigerator. So, if you use it for the cruise, have some left and want to save it for the summer…throw it in the fridge!(just make sure that if you have a baby, like I did, they don’t get it out and squirt it all over your new couch!!:eek: Told’ya it doesn’t stain!)

• Finally, when you shower in the morning, you will see color washing away.Your tan/money is NOT going down the drain…it is just the color guide. You will be left with beautiful color, I promise. Make sure to moisturize really well throughout the day while using the stuff. All sunless tanners ( The DHA) dries out your skin. You need to keep it supple to keep from flaking and to keep it reabsorbing new product.

Hope this help answer some questions you might have had. ;)

I know I learned a lot and had a ton of questions!!

Happy tanning~

Yes, my question was about the mousse vs. the lotion or spray. I am glad you like the mousse. It just seems lighter to me, not so heavy. Thank you for the Fake Bake 101. I am so excited! You are the sunless tanning goddess!!!!!!:)

I am here!!:D

It is Ok...

We will get you tan!

Personally, I have tried the Sublime...

I did not have good results, I turned really really orange!

So orange, my mom laughed at me and said I look like I had liver issues!

I was NOT funny!:eek:

My feet were REALLY orange..cuz they got the darkest...it was bad.

Now, again, everyone reacts really different to over the counter products and there are people that absolutely love the stuff.

( Hence, why I ran out and tried it, trying to save a buck in the name of vanity!)

I have to wait 2 weeks while I 'deactivated' and was 'holed' up in the house for fear people would think I was ill!:eek:

Hey desperatehousewife. I gotta tell you ~ I laughed when I read "we will get you tan" :D

Thanks for the info on the Sublime. This is why I love this thread! My biggest fear is looking like an oompa loompa:eek: It's nice to know you've got my back! LOL!

Ughhh!!!! I think I will bite the bullet and go for the fake bake. I am the type that wants instant gratification... I want my st. tropez tan yesterday!!! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the Fake Bake 101. I am so excited! You are the sunless tanning goddess!!!!!!:)

LOL...You are very welcome!:D

This is why I love this thread! My biggest fear is looking like an oompa loompa:eek: It's nice to know you've got my back! LOL!

We will have no oompa loompas on THIS thread!!!:D :D ;)

Well, I have to say when I started this thread I did not know an expert on the sunless subject would jump onboard. I have learned so much. DH, you truly are the sunless tanning goddess! :D

Now is this Fake Bake gonna be ok for a fair skin colored irish girl? It won't be to dark, will it. :)

DH,

Please don't laugh at me.....here is my ? When putting on the Fake Bake I assume it is best to be naked, am I correct? The reason I am asking is I am fine with it, hubby works nights so I am relying on my bff to put it on the places I can't reach. Hopefully she doesn't care. Any suggestions? :p

I want to thank all of you for teaching me how to use fake tanners. We are going to Alaska May 3 and I'm lily white. I have always been afraid to use these for fear of turning orange and looking like a pumpkin.

I do have one question, though. How do you self-tan your back? I realize I could get my DH to do this, but I'm not real sure how even he would get it.

How long do spray/mist tans last if they're done at a salon? I really don't want to have to worry about rubbing on tanning lotion while on the cruise.

Well, I have to say when I started this thread I did not know an expert on the sunless subject would jump onboard. I have learned so much. DH, you truly are the sunless tanning goddess!

Now is this Fake Bake gonna be ok for a fair skin colored irish girl? It won't be to dark, will it.

Thank you...your too kind, this is really fun!

LOL..Yes, you should be fine, as long as you remember to :

1. Follow the hints above regarding your feet, hands, elbows and knees.Use that lotion first!;)
  2. Make sure that you only apply as needed, meaning you probably won't need a daily application to get a good base if you are really fair, where more olive complected tones will need a couple applications.Most people apply three consecutive days and then weekly after that. you be the judge of where your color is...

DH,

Please don't laugh at me.....here is my ? When putting on the Fake Bake I assume it is best to be naked, am I correct? The reason I am asking is I am fine with it, hubby works nights so I am relying on my bff to put it on the places I can't reach. Hopefully she doesn't care. Any suggestions?

No laughing!!;)

Yes, you really do want to be 'nekkid'!

If you don't want to have to depend on somone else, here is a suggestion..

The great thing about fake bake is that it can be messy..in fact they will tell you that.The idea is coverage, not neat coverage.As long as you are brown all over, that is all that counts.

That being said, you could buy a one of those lotion applicators on a stick from a place like Bath and Body Work or Bed Bath and Beyond.

Here is one here:

8462512972423P.JPG

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12972423&RN=184&

Otherwise...I would take a cheap loofah on a stick

7391013134979P.JPG;pv894f19de5b13b0d0

( my Dollar Store has them) and I would wrap the loofah in a doubled latex glove. This way you can reach your own back, under your arms etc.

Just remember, it won't look perfect, but all that matters is that your are brown.

It WILL look patchy and uneven...don't worry!

That is the scariest part and I should have mentioned this in the 101!

Good luck..but this should really work well.

Silly..but it will work:D ;)

*FAKE BAKE SIDE NOTE

I wanted to add something to the 101 I forgot that is pretty important!

When applying the product,the method/strategy is different than regular sunless tanners.

Sunless tanners you have to be vigilent aboutgetting everything perfect and even, so that in the end there will be no streaking.

With Fake Bake, your main objective is to get the product on...not look pretty in the end, and you won't!;)

I do not want any surprises here....

This product, as it dries, looks funky and leaves you looking somewhat streaky....DO NOT FREAK!

It goes againt all we have ever been taught...read about...

(even coverage) and may have your heart beating rapidly the first time thinking, I am screwed... I am gonna look like a zebra for sure...Desperate Heather was kidding us all and I'm gonna find her and open a can of whooopy on her!

The only thing you do not want is a white, empty patch of skin. If it has brown product on it, it will tan...even if it is patchy.

Remember...this goop that looks so awful is your friend. :D

It is telling you what your are or are not doing.

Other products don't have this, leaving you guessing where the invisible product is going and has been, and that my friends is why we have so many streaky tans!;)

There... I feel better now that I warned you about that.

I freaked the 1st time I used it and cryed after I got it all on, knowing I was already stained!:eek: Once I saw how it was drying, I could not stop.. I had to keep going!

Hopefully I have saved you all from that grief....:D

*FAKE BAKE SIDE NOTE

When applying the product,the method/strategy is different than regular sunless tanners.

Sunless tanners you have to be vigilent aboutgetting everything perfect and even, so that in the end there will be no streaking.

With Fake Bake, your main objective is to get the product on...not look pretty in the end, and you won't!;)

This product, as it dries, looks funky and leaves you looking somewhat streaky....DO NOT FREAK!

(even coverage) and may have your heart beating rapidly the first time thinking, I am screwed... I am gonna look like a zebra for sure...Desperate Heather was kidding us all and I'm gonna find her and open a can of whooopy on her!

The only thing you do not want is a white, empty patch of skin. If it has brown product on it, it will tan...even if it is patchy.

Other products don't have this, leaving you guessing where the invisible product is going and has been, and that my friends is why we have so many streaky tans!;)

I freaked the 1st time I used it and cryed after I got it all on, knowing I was already stained!:eek: Once I saw how it was drying, I could not stop.. I had to keep going!

Since Mystic is $30 in my area :eek: and only supposed to last 5-7 days I think I'll try this stuff instead. I really like my Jergens and Neutrogren but this stuff sound easier to apply so I think I'll go for it!

*FAKE BAKE SIDE NOTE

This sounds so easy! My problem has always been getting it on even. Ok, since I don't have to show my legs yet, that it where I will try it first. Thanks so much DH. :D

Otherwise...I would take a cheap loofah on a stick

7391013134979P.JPG;pv894f19de5b13b0d0

( my Dollar Store has them) and I would wrap the loofah in a doubled latex glove. This way you can reach your own back, under your arms etc.

:D ;)

I love the Fake Bake 101, and now this tip, wow! DHW, you are really helping a lot of people here & Just in time! This new tip really helps for those of us who try & "stretch" to get all of their back! I usually didn't care so much about my back being perfect, because this part isn't normally exposed as much. I hadn't thought of it till I started reading the thread and it dawned on me that the dress I just bought for one formal night it a halter style. :eek:

I can't wait to get my FB products! Well, after searching a couple of Targets, Walgreens, CVS... I still never found the NEW! Banana Boat that Janetz showed me in the link. I found one that was the "two lotions that combined together"... With this one you are able to turn the guide on the top to regulate how dark you want to be. This would be good for newbies who don't want to get too dark, too soon.

I'm still on the lookout for the Banana Boat tube I saw in the link because it also has the bronzer that you can see it when you're applying (even though this layer does wash off & go down the drain when you shower the next morning) It makes it much easier to apply w/o missing a spot & not knowing until afterwards. Plus, you normal get the "instant color" gratification... I am a little worried about the Blotchiness of Fake Bake, so does this mean you can't just apply it go out the same day?

If ANYONE near the Dallas area finds the BananaBoat (WITH the bronzer!!), please post here so that I can try this new stuff... thanks! (of course by then I'll be a Fake Bake lover...)

Thanks,

Andrea

Jumping on board here....thanks DH!! One question...do you apply this Fake Bake to your face, or do you use the Fake Bake designed for the face. 2 seperate lotions? Ordering today!!!!!

I tired FB for the face and found it to be identical to the other , my theory is that it is just another smart marketing ploy by the company to stretch their line...:rolleyes:

I use the same one everywhere with excellent success.

If you want a lighter coverage, use the sponge here also.;) If you are/have light hair, put a dab of vaseline in your eyebrows...just a dab.This will prevent the lotion from settling here as you apply.

As far as the hairline areas, you can do the same, ot feather with the sponge towards there areas...but you really won't have a problem if you don't glob it on and use a light touch.

I'm still on the lookout for the Banana Boat tube I saw in the link because it also has the bronzer that you can see it when you're applying (even though this layer does wash off & go down the drain when you shower the next morning) It makes it much easier to apply w/o missing a spot & not knowing until afterwards. Plus, you normal get the "instant color" gratification... I am a little worried about the Blotchiness of Fake Bake, so does this mean you can't just apply it go out the same day?

The Banana Boat can be ordered from Drugstore.com, and I order from there all the time, they are great!!

In fact, I just ordered more of my Biolage hair 'stuff ' and some other junk last night as a matter of fact.

They have really fast service, and once you order from them once, they send you free shipping coupons every month.

They have everything in the way of beauty/hair/ vitamins/supplements you could ever need at all at ridiculously good prices.

I will warn you though, that new Banana Boat w/ bronzer...

I asked my GF if that was the one that turned me flourescent last year and Yup...it was.

That was the worst color I/we have ever been....

It was brand new at the time, cuz I had a coupon, I bought one and she bought one and they were promoting it bigtime.

I looked like a pumpkin!

I was sooo upset b/c it had a brozer, and it was darker than a lot of the over the counter ones, so I was so hoping it would work well to save $$$.

( trust me, I don't like spending the money on FB either..If I don't have to)

Maybe it will work better for you?:eek:

As far as you question about being able to apply and go out...

No.

This stuff is not designed for that, and not at all like a normal self tanner in that respect.

I am serious when I say it is the color of baby poop.

It is dark chocolate brown...no exaggeration...only the whites of your eyes will show!

Now, if you are brave enough to go out in public looking like that sister...more power to you!!!:D

But if you do, you had better call the media,so at least you can make some money off the deal!!LOL..

Seriously it needs a full night while sleeping to work.

You wake up so beautifully tanned....and the best thing?

You then get to shower all the typical self tanner smell of and apply your smell good moisturizers and stuff.

Regular self tanners you stink all day.;)

I never thought of the lotion spreader, I have seen those and will go get one. What a great idea. I am so excited to get my stuff, should be here in a week. I just wanna be tan

Good!

I hope it works well for you!

Isn't the idea of being a bronze godess exciting?:D

I tired FB for the face and found it to be identical to the other , my theory is that it is just another smart marketing ploy by the company to stretch their line...:rolleyes:

I agree with this, and also to lightly apply after moisturizing seems to work for me..

They have really fast service, and once you order from them once, they send you free shipping coupons every month.

They have everything in the way of beauty/hair/ vitamins/supplements you could ever need at all at ridiculously good prices.

Good to know. I guess my impatience (wanting to just pick it up) is working against me here.

But now with the following info......

I will warn you though, that new Banana Boat w/ bronzer...

I asked my GF if that was the one that turned me flourescent last year and Yup...it was.

That was the worst color I have ever been....

It was brand new at the time, cuz I had a coupon, I bought on and she bought one and they were promoting it bigtime.

I looked like a pumpkin!

I was sooo upset b/c it had a brozer, and it was darker than a lot of the over the counter ones, so I was so hoping it would work well to save $$$.

( trust me, I don't like spending the money on FB either..)

Maybe it will work better for you?:eek:

Wow! Now I'm rethinking. Plus, I'm gonna get FLAMED by the people who use it and turn to OOMPA PUMKINS!!! Yikes!!

You wake up so beautifully tanned....and the best thing?

You then get to shower all the typical self tanner smell of and apply your smell good moisturizers and stuff.

Regular self tanners you stink all day.;)

Good point, but glad I know ahead of time.

I'm still waiting for my Fake Bake order, but I know I'll use a lot of this stuff once I get back into it. I was going to start with the NEW Banana Boat if I could find it while waiting for FB. I've been exfoliating like crazy & I'm just ready to start... Now I'm scared to even try it, but for $8... I still might try it. Since you're more "olive" & I'm more "fair," but at the first sign of pumpkinage I'll just toss it!

I feel like I HAVE to try it now & report results since I bragged about the old stuff (the old stuff if it's still out there was in a Goldish Color tube with a kind of reddish cap) That's the one I'm standing behind...

Hey, not to hijack the thread, and I started another one for this but I really need help finding a protector for my hair so I can use the flat iron. My stylist sold me one (very $$$) and I don't think it worked. :confused: see other thread if you have any suggestions for me.... Thanks!

_

Coming out of the Land of Lurkdom. Wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this very informational thread.

I had a 2 cm spot of Basel Cell cancer removed last year from the back of my arm. Needless to say, my days of baking in the sun are over. I have been searching for a good alturnative and thanks to the info here, I think I've found it.

Ordered Fake Bake last week after reading about DHW's experience. Reread the thread when my order arrived yesterday and decided to give it a go last night. Now, keep in mind, I have very fair skin that is covered with many freckles...I'm an Irish woman with red hair (one might ask, why even try to tan....that's another discussion!)

I was a little scared to use the product on my whole body because of how fair I am. So I just did my legs last night. Followed all of the advice, put up with my husband's endless questions as to why my legs were so dark and then went to bed.

Woke up this morning, took a shower and I AM SO PLEASED!!!! Can't wait to do the rest of me! I can see how someone with more olive skin would want to be darker, but for me, I think a 1/week application will be just right! My legs look great...no splotches, no streaks - just nice, golden tan. I couldn't be happier!!

Thanks again ladies! I've gotten some of the best product suggestions and hints from this forum!!

Archived