Planning First Trip

We are looking at Galaxy (11-day from Rome) and Brilliance of the Seas (12-day from Barcelona) for a Med cruise next fall. Has anyone taken either of these? If so, do you have any advice? This will be our first trip to Europe so we've never seen any of the destinations before. Are there specific cabins to stay away from?

The difference between the Galaxy and the Brilliance is that one goes to Greece and the other one goes to Venice.

But the Millenium goes to BOTH places. So you might want to consider it.

Also, a lot depends on your budget and what you want to do and see.

We are on a limited budget and do want to spend too much money. We are using our FF miles for our fares and are booking inside cabins, private tours and splurge on art work to bring home and good food at ports.

We have looked into the Millenium. It was just a bit more expensive than the other choices especially with non-roundtrip airfare. How will the weather be in late October. We're from Michigan so used to the cold but would prefer warmth on a vacation. I actually just received a copy of the "Splendour Trip Report" thanks to the friendly people on these boards! :)

Shannalynn, I'm from Canton MI and am going on the Brilliance October 15, 2005. When were you thinking of going? It appears mid-October will be in the low 70s with possibility of some rain. I've been to Germany, Italy and Sicily before in mid-September on a land self-guided tour. The weather was extremely hot that year (2000).

I've never been on the Brilliance, but have booked rooms on Deck 9 at the "hump" which curves out in the middle of the ship. These rooms give you a nice unobstructed view. I've always been told not to book at the rear of the ship due to the possibility of more movement when the seas are high. The Med should be pretty calm and the ship made with good stabilizers, so movement shouldn't be too much of a problem. Right, other cruisers???

We didn't look at the Galaxy from Rome because we wanted to start and stop in Barcelona. Donna

Hello cruisers,

We are trying to plan a group Med cruise for next October 2005. I am finding the prices a tad bit higher than I thought they might be, given the # of cruise ships there, etc. We have cruised the Med. b4 also. We did a transatlantic Venice to Ft. Laud. It was fabulous. We would like to see other ports than we saw before. We would like to see Sorrento, Mykonos, etc. I know the Millineum has a nice itinerary but I think it is pricey and then add another $1,000 for airfare. We are flying out of Boston. Has anyone booked their own airfare and transfers?

Can anyone recommend a good ta that gave good prices so I might call them. We will probably have 10-12 (maybe more) in our group so hope we might get a group rate. We would like to at least make the initial booking soon. I notice that a lot of people have already booked for Oct. & we don't want to be left behind.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Crusinmimi, I booked the Brilliance through cruisequick.com and got a great price. Although that was before RCL changed their advertising policy. It wouldn't hurt to get a quote from them and see what they quote you and how it ranks with your TA.

Donna

We've been on the Galaxy and the Brillance. The food was better on the Galaxy but we liked the Brillance and its exterior, glass elevators,

The Med is a great place to cruise and Venice is one of the jewels. We prefer cruising in the Med in the spring or fall, when it's not as hot and somewhat less crowded because most schools are still in session.

Our last two Med cruises were on Holland America - the Oosterdam and the Westerdam - and both were spectacular!

I have been looking into the same cruise on the Millenium. I like the itenerary. I would love to have any info you can give me. I think the best deal I found was on buycruise.My email is queeng@hawaii.rr.com

Do you know what the dinning arrangments are on Celebrity? Is there tradional as well as personal choice?

You have the traditional first and second seatings on Celebrity, but on the M class ships there is also another restaurant. I think that reservations are required and also a charge of $25 or $30 per person.

Please join us on the Oct. 13th sailing on Millennium---we have a great group going.

Anne

Just a suggestion about airfare. Check Gotoday for tours in your embarkation city. They are usually 3-4 days, good for pre-cruise, then extend your stay through the length of the cruise. I haven't done this, but have read that they have no problem doing this. Great prices, even if you paid for a room that you never used.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning a quick budget trip next year with my friend. We're looking into RCCL's Splendour of the Seas 7 day Med. cruise for the Oct. 22, 2005 sailing. At travelocity, an inside cabin is listed at $669 per person. Amazing deal, if you ask me. Yes, it's only a 7 day cruise and the ship is slightly dated, but I think it's a great opportunity to sample the French Riveria & Italy.

I checked on your dates for the Celebrity 12-Night Mediterranean (Venice to Barcelona) Cruise on the Millennium. For the Oct. 25, 2005 sailing, the rates for an inside cabin are currently $1700 per person. Inside cabins are for budget travelers . . . but if you want a view, the ocean view cabins are currently starting at $1950. Everyone seems to LOVE this cruise because of the ports of call and because of the ship. I've heard its BEAUTIFUL!

Hope this helps. In addition, check out Monica's website. She gives a detailed review of her Celebrity cruise. http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/Cruise03.html

Archived