I received four seperate mailings from Princess yesterday

sppunk

Four! I realize ships are having some issues filling ships, but the money they are spending on these mailouts is downright sickening.

What's unfortunate is nearly always the deals aren't so great and can easily be beat by a good TA.

I've spent a great deal of time working in the world of Direct Response Marketing. Trust me when I say that I'm confident Princess tracks the cost/benefit ratio of every mailing they send out. You have probably told Princess (in the forms that you've filled out over the years) that you're somewhat interested in the destinations described in the mailings. And, for folks who travel quite a bit, sometimes the "merge/purge" doesn't work quite as well as the mailer would like causing you to get several mailings at the same time. But, even then, Princess is not losing money by marketing in this manner. They have a pretty good idea of the number of bookings that will result from each effort.

I also got a card advertising the 4 & 5 day sailings that are all waitlisted. go figure!

Jan

Did you mean 3 and 4 day sailings or is this something new I haven't read about?

I get 10+ from HAL every week. :o

Us too.

This doesn't bother me nearly as much as a certain local charity near us does. At the end of 2006 we send a generous donation to them and since that time we receive 4 to 6 requests a month for additional donations. I feel our donation was used to pay for them to solicit more donations. I wrote them in mid January of this year to tell them to take our names off of their donor lists as I feel they are extremely excessive in their requests for money and since that time I have received 6 more mailings from them. I now mark them "refused - return to sender" and put them back in the mail. At least Princess is not a charitable organization and they have nice pictures on their mailings.

Just got one for the Panama Canal cruises. Don't mind at all, even tho' we probably won't do this itinerary. Now what I mind are all those credit card solicitiations...you have to call some numbers to get off those. And there aren't any pretty pictures.

I often wonder just how much all these travel mailings cost, and how many trees are used in the process. :( I try to discourage these mailings. We have sailed with 9 different cruises lines and have traveled with 7 different land based companies. You cannot imagine just how much travel mail we get. Not a day goes by that we do not have between 5-10 items that are about travel. Since we have different names the mailings are doubled. While we do enjoy looking at all of it, we have never actually booked any trip as a direct result of any brochure or mailing.

All these companies could save an entire forest if they stopped the snail mail.

I've been on 6 cruises--4 Princess, 1 Carnival, 1 RCCL. I NEVER get any mailings from any, and I wish that I would. I've spoken to Princess, who said they would try, but still-nothing. What else can I do??

My partner and I both get the mailings, usually the same day. And we get them from Princess, HAL, Celebrity and occasionally Royal Caribbean. Princess and HAL seem to be the majority of them.

Somewhere along the way, Princess decided to give me a wife. When a TA on a website that lets a lot of different agencies give competitive quotes held a cabin for me last fall, she picked up my imaginary wife's name for the second person for the booking.

Archived