1st cruise questions

Scheduled the family for our 1st cruise this June on SOS. I have a couple questions that I can't find through my searches.

1) I booked 2 cabins (SOV), one for me and mama, the other for the kids. I asked that the cabins be close, but they are half a ship away from each other. I asked my TA, he said that nothing was available and there is not a waiting list, but if I see something open up let him know. Will I be close to my children...? (not really a big deal they are grown.. 23,22, 16,15) But I would feel better if we were closer.

2) Dinner schedule... We have a 6:00 seating.. What does that mean.. "Dinner is around 6:00, but it's ok if you get here by 5:30"...? "Dinner is served at 6:00 so don't be late"..? "Dinner is served when you show up as long as you leave by 8:00"...?

I did look for these answers on the board... So don't yell at me, I'm sensitive...

Thanks

I would keep looking for a room to open up. Sometimes TA's book a block of rooms or people book a cabin and then at final payment let it go. Just keep checking.

Early dinner - 6pm means please be seated by 6pm so everyone at the table can be served together. I guess it's just common courtesy. You won't be able to get into the dining room earlier than 6. They will serve you if you show up late however.

1) I booked 2 cabins (SOV), one for me and mama, the other for the kids. I asked that the cabins be close, but they are half a ship away from each other. I asked my TA, he said that nothing was available and there is not a waiting list, but if I see something open up let him know. Will I be close to my children...? (not really a big deal they are grown.. 23,22, 16,15) But I would feel better if we were closer.

If you want to be closer to your kids, maybe try down grading or upgrading a catagory and see if you can get cabins closer together. Other wise, it will be a waiting game and hope that something else opens up.

2) Dinner schedule... We have a 6:00 seating.. What does that mean.. "Dinner is around 6:00, but it's ok if you get here by 5:30"...? "Dinner is served at 6:00 so don't be late"..? "Dinner is served when you show up as long as you leave by 8:00"...?

Dinner is at 6:00 so you should not be late. Its not proper to hold up the dining room staff or your table mates if you are late. I would also suggest you make sure your reservations are linked so you will all be seated at the same table in the dining room.

Scheduled the family for our 1st cruise this June on SOS. I have a couple questions that I can't find through my searches.

I did look for these answers on the board... So don't yell at me, I'm sensitive...

Thanks

I am not sure about your first question, but dinner is at 6. The doors will open about 10 minutes before the meal starts. If you are sitting with people outside of your traveling party, you should get there on time. The waiters usually wait for everyone to arrive before they take your order.

I would continue to monitor RCI's website to look for rooms that are closer together. If you find something, call your TA and have him change the one room. Or, just call your TA every week or so to see if anything has opened up. After a while he'll get the hint that you want rooms closer together and maybe he'll start looking for you.

Dinner at 6:00 means the doors to the dining room open at six. You should try to get there around that time. If you are at a table with people other than your family, it is rude to make them wait for you. You will be able to sit right away and as soon as everyone is at your table, your waitstaff will begin to take your orders.

Thanks

:cool: I would call RCCL and ask a travel planner if other rooms are available closer. Kids are old enough to be farther away, but I'm sure it would be more conveinant if they were closer.

Dinner at 6:00 means that dining room opens at six, and you really should be seated by 6:15. The waiters are actually on a tight schedule, and it makes everything easier if you can make it close to six.. Next seating is at 8:30. enjoy your cruise, and ask all the questions you need to. Many experienced cruisers are here to help you get those answers:cool:

Two of the "kids" aren't kids--they're adults!!!!!!!! You may be down the hallway, but you can call from room to room on the phone. Give them their ground rules and everything will be fine. Even if they were next door to you, you are never going to see them....the 15 and 16 yo will be too busy to hang around mom and dad! They will be fine--don't stress!

The dining room isn't like a restaurant, in that you come and go at will. There are 2 "seatings" so everyone gets served at about the same time. It's like a big banquet! If you don't get there by 6:15, you risk not being served. So do be punctual! If you find you can't make the 6pm seating, (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't) you can go to the buffet and eat at almost anytime.

The shows are arranged around the dinner seatings. You have "main" seating and your shows will be AFTER dinner. Late seating goes to the shows while you're dining (before dinner!) There will be a late-night "adult" show at least 1 night that starts around 11pm.

I would continue to monitor RCI's website to look for rooms that are closer together. If you find something, call your TA and have him change the one room. Or, just call your TA every week or so to see if anything has opened up. After a while he'll get the hint that you want rooms closer together and maybe he'll start looking for you.

Dinner at 6:00 means the doors to the dining room open at six. You should try to get there around that time. If you are at a table with people other than your family, it is rude to make them wait for you. You will be able to sit right away and as soon as everyone is at your table, your waitstaff will begin to take your orders.

Although, my wife and I always arrive around 6pm, I'm not sure I agree that if you are late, it is rude. Because of the dining choices - ie Windjammers, Chops, Portifino's and Johnny Rockets, it is common for people to not show up at all. I believe the wait staff is trained to begin service 5-10 minutes after 6pm regardless of who is there or not. During our last cruise, we never had a full table, and had different people miss each night.

When I can, I do try to make it a point to tell the server when we will be at a speciality restaurant, but its not always possible. In San Juan, we didn't get back in time to make the early dinner so we just went to Windjammers.

I think a better reason to arrive on time, is that the wait staff wants to give you excellent service and enjoyable meal. If you arrive late, it puts more pressure on them as they need you to be done with your meal around 8pm so they can prepare for the late crowd. My rule of thumb is if I'm 20 minutes late, I go to Windjammers.

You guys are quick...

I was afraid that the 6:00 was a banquet type seating. All 4 of the kids are (girlie) girls. I have not been to anything on time in 15 years.

Maybe I can tell them that dinner is at 5:00... 4:00 on the formal night.

Thanks again!

Coming from a 24 yo girl:

- You will be fine being down the hall from eachother. When my sister and I were 18 and 21 we went on a cruise with my parents. We were in rooms on different floors and my parents loved it! They saw us at ports of calls and dinner and other than that we might meet up at the pool. It was nice for my sister and I to have "freedom," and with it being my parents 25th anniversary I think they enjoyed their freedom too! :eek:

- I am a girly girl too who is ALWAYS 15-30 minutes late (my worse trait), but I am ALWAYS on time for dinner in the ships. Getting all dressed up for dinner is so much fun I look forward to it and pull myself away from the pool excited because it is time to get all "pretty." Just remind them that you need to be on time and you should be fine.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Because of the dining choices - ie Windjammers, Chops, Portifino's and Johnny Rockets, it is common for people to not show up at all.

Is there a protocol or courtesy procedure for informing the Maitre'D (or someone) that you will not be there on a given evening? I would suppose Chops or Portofino would have reservation lists that could be cross referenced or automatically inform them but if dining in a port restaurant or in Windjammer or JR it would be good if there were a way to let them know. Perhaps call them I supppose but are they setup to record this info? Do they even care?

Another thought....if the DR has been informed will the head waiter (if can they) let the rest of the table know that you will not be there? We usually try to let our tablemates know the day before (if we know) when we will be absent.

Thanks

What's the date of your cruise?

Is there a protocol or courtesy procedure for informing the Maitre'D (or someone) that you will not be there on a given evening? I would suppose Chops or Portofino would have reservation lists that could be cross referenced or automatically inform them but if dining in a port restaurant or in Windjammer or JR it would be good if there were a way to let them know. Perhaps call them I supppose but are they setup to record this info? Do they even care?

Another thought....if the DR has been informed will the head waiter (if can they) let the rest of the table know that you will not be there? We usually try to let our tablemates know the day before (if we know) when we will be absent.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the reservations are cross referenced. Maybe someone can ask on their next cruise.

Thanks

The ship isn't so large that the distance between your staterooms should be a serious problem, especially given the ages of your kids. Take your TAs advice and continue checking to see if a room closer to yours opens up, but unless it is in the same room category as what you have already booked, be prepared to pay the difference in price.

6:00 pm seating (early or first seating) means that the doors to the dining room open at 6pm and guests can enter and be seated. While you don't have to be at the door at exactly 6pm, you should try to arrive in the dining room shortly after it opens. It is only common courtesy to your wait staff and anyone else seated at your table. Arriving more than ten or fifteen minutes late can disrupt the dining room schedule and make it more difficult for the staff to prepare the dining room for the next seating when first seating guests have left. There was a time, sadly no more IMHO, when the dining room doors were closed fifteen minutes after the seating time and late arrivals were turned away.

On our last two cruises (two different lines, RCCI and Princess, AND two different TAs ) our initial booking, based on avail were not close to our kids/my sister on second cruise. In both cases, our TA's immediately told us that THEY would monitor the situation w/ the cruise line and see what they could do. In the first case, the kids (18 and 21) were originally on deck 3 and we were on 7, then they were moved to 7, and, eventually, the TA was able to get them a cabin about 3 doors from us. As others have said, not "necessary", but convenient ("Mom, how does this look" , do these shoes go, etc). On the other, we started out on the Port side, and the TA was able to move us to Starboard (the preferred for our sailing) and 3 doors from my sister's cabin. They checked often, and if I hadn't heard for a while, I gave them a ring or email and then they checked again.

I don't expect to see the girls once we get aboard, but I would like to be able to share the bathrooms and hair dryers. If you could see us on Sunday morning you would understand. Being close would also allow some healing time and a neutral corner if someone gets knocked out.

We sail June 2nd

I wouldn't worry about the distance to the room...you can get from/to anywhere on the ship in a few minutes max. You can always call their room from your room if you want to talk to them.

You should show up to dinner on time.

Thanks

If I were you, I would call RC myself and act very innocent. Ask if there are any SOV cabins that hold 4 passengers available for your sailing. There are plenty of cabins for two available.

Archived