Planning Caribbean Back2Back - Suggestions Please

aqualojoy

We would like to do our first back2back the first two weeks in August probably leaving from Florida—we live in Maryland. We have to do August because our thirteen-year-old son will be in Europe during most of July. Our son and I will go both weeks, and my husband will join us for the second week. The three of us have cruised on the Legend from New York (San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola) and HAL’s Zuiderdam (Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Half Moon Cay, did not make Key West due to the weather). In addition, my husband and I have cruised on NCL (prior to freestyle dining) and Celebrity.

We enjoy the days at sea and spend plenty of time being together as a family just reading on the balcony, relaxing and enjoying each other’s company. We ate in The Golden Fleece Restaurant on The Legend. The three of us have gone sailing in St. Thomas, swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman; gone to the Baths in Tortola, visited the ruins in Costa Maya and had lunch with a Mayan family. On this trip we would like to swim with the dolphins, go horseback riding along the beach, and zip line through the rain forest. Maybe do Eastern and Western. Trying to determine which ship would be best. Suggestions? I have read some posts where folks suggest trying a different ship the second week. I think it would be more relaxing to stay on the same ship. What are your thoughts?

Are there any special incentives for booking a back2back?

If we stay on the same ship for the second week, do you have to leave the ship at the end of the first week and reboard? Not sure if we will be able to stay in the same cabin both weeks since there will be 2 of us the first week and 3 the second week. If we have to change cabins, is there someone to help move the bags? If we have to move, will we have to place our luggage outside of the cabin on the last night of the first week?

Should we go Spirit Class or Conquest Class?

Unfortunately, there are no incentives to book back to back, in fact if anything it might add to the cost to have to pick two consequative weeks.

Belize some think is the best place to do zip lining, I know some on my cruise on the Grand Princess about a year ago took that cruise just to go to Belize.

There is also a combination zip line and cave tubing which is super. I saw the cave tubing on tv and it looks like fun, but I dont think my sister can do it and I hate to leave her alone.

Maybe pick the ports you want and then pick your ships. Most do a Eastern/Western combination, a ship that does each on alternate weeks.

If you are flying in Ft. Lauderdale airport is only a few miles from the port, one of the easiest to fly in and out of for port proximity.

PS yes you sort of get off, but they will take you thru customs and to get your new ship card. If you have to change cabins, the steward will move a cart they give you to put your stuff on, not the regular way, you wouldnt totally pack up, just put it on a luggage cart to move. It is a lot easier if you can keep the same cabin. I had to change cabins and wished I didnt have to pack up to move. Getting on and off only took less than 30 minutes, painless, not like boarding in the first place.

On our last cruise, we had quite a few on the CC roll call that were doing the Liberty Back to Back. They did the 6 day, and the 8 day eastern Car. The 8 day has only 3 ports, so there was lots of ship time. Plus, you can zip line in Costa Rica, which was a blast.

We really loved the Liberty. We have done both of these cruises, but not at the same time.

On our last cruise, we had quite a few on the CC roll call that were doing the Liberty Back to Back. They did the 6 day, and the 8 day eastern Car. The 8 day has only 3 ports, so there was lots of ship time. Plus, you can zip line in Costa Rica, which was a blast.

We really loved the Liberty. We have done both of these cruises, but not at the same time.

I REALLY want to see Costa Rica, Iv heard it is just gorgeous. Sounds like the prettiest place on earth to some.

It is gorgeous. We have been there twice and loved it both times. We went zip lining and a boat ride down the canals the first time, and just did a city tour the second time. It is called the Gardens of the Americas, and I can see why. Everything is so lush and beautiful.

We leave Friday for our third Back to Back. We have done the Triumph, Valor and now the Glory on Saturday.

I think we got a cat bump up because of it and our past sailings. Paid for an 8A and got a 8E cabin. Plus the price has dropped for both sailings and we have $260.00 each week for OBC.

You don't have to leave your cabin or the ship during the turn over. You get a letter with all the instructions. they arrange a meeting place on board. Everything is done right there. Plus some nice snacks.

You can also get off the ship and go downtown if you wish, You get a pass to get back on. We also jump off for new pictures.

Hope this helps you decide.

Remember, "Happy Wife....Happy Life"

Have fun

WE did the whitewater rafting thru Carnival in Costa Rica when we went on the Liberty. My 2 kids had a blast - they were 11 and 14 at the time. Still talk about the fun they had "swimming" in the river with the pirahnna's first cousins. (friendly, no teeth - at least no big ones!)

We leave on the Glory in 8 weeks for a back to back. Yes you will have to pay a deposit for 2 weeks. Because we were using cash we also had to have the $200 for each of us for both weeks on our sail and sign. The financial incentive for us was a two week vacation and only one flight. We live in Canada airfare is an issue.

We would like to do our first back2back the first two weeks in August probably leaving from Florida—we live in Maryland. We have to do August because our thirteen-year-old son will be in Europe during most of July. Our son and I will go both weeks, and my husband will join us for the second week. The three of us have cruised on the Legend from New York (San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola) and HAL’s Zuiderdam (Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Half Moon Cay, did not make Key West due to the weather). In addition, my husband and I have cruised on NCL (prior to freestyle dining) and Celebrity.

We enjoy the days at sea and spend plenty of time being together as a family just reading on the balcony, relaxing and enjoying each other’s company. We ate in The Golden Fleece Restaurant on The Legend. The three of us have gone sailing in St. Thomas, swam with the stingrays in Grand Cayman; gone to the Baths in Tortola, visited the ruins in Costa Maya and had lunch with a Mayan family. On this trip we would like to swim with the dolphins, go horseback riding along the beach, and zip line through the rain forest. Maybe do Eastern and Western. Trying to determine which ship would be best. Suggestions? I have read some posts where folks suggest trying a different ship the second week. I think it would be more relaxing to stay on the same ship. What are your thoughts?

Are there any special incentives for booking a back2back?

If we stay on the same ship for the second week, do you have to leave the ship at the end of the first week and reboard? Not sure if we will be able to stay in the same cabin both weeks since there will be 2 of us the first week and 3 the second week. If we have to change cabins, is there someone to help move the bags? If we have to move, will we have to place our luggage outside of the cabin on the last night of the first week?

Should we go Spirit Class or Conquest Class?

Right now Miracle had a great itinerary where you go south and west on a B2B. 16 days would be awesome

I'd never go b2b. My mom went did this on HAL and she quickly learned that B2B measn you get to to see the same entertainment and menues two weeks straight.

I'd suggest biting the bullet and doing the second on a different ship or even better, different line.

This summer, we are doing a one week on CCL, then a four day'er on RCL for that reason.

• 2 months later...
I'd never go b2b. My mom went did this on HAL and she quickly learned that B2B measn you get to to see the same entertainment and menues two weeks straight.

I'd suggest biting the bullet and doing the second on a different ship or even better, different line.

This summer, we are doing a one week on CCL, then a four day'er on RCL for that reason.

The other side of the coin is you dont have to see all the shows the first week. Also the comic/juggler/magician often changes from cruise to cruise.

I found doing B2B a great way to relax and do what I wanted when I wanted, what I didnt see or do the first week I could explore the second week.

I only order one starter, one entree and one dessert so in 2 weeks I had a great variety, then again I dont cruise for the food.

It does sound like doing 2 different ships would work best for your needs.

I have notice quite a few cruisers are doing B2B, its a good way to avoid airfare for 2 separate cruises.

I did a B2B this past April. I did it on 2 different ship, plus I had to do an overnight in between. I will never do that again. Everything needs to be packed up, unpacked at the hotel (not totally, but still ....), then need to go back to the pier the next day.

Next year, I'm planning another B2B, but it will be on the same ship. I'd rather have the same room, but might need to change. It's still better than what I did this year.

Joanne

The Pride and the Mexican Riveria, a Spirit class ship.

There is swimming with dolphins and zip lining in Puerto Vallarta, Horseback riding with Randi's Happy Horses in Mazaltan (the best IMHO). Plus you could toss in a week in LA and do the Hollywood/theme parks too if you did not want to do the B2B.

Nancy

There are a lot of options out of Miami. For next year our B2B has a day of down time in between and I switched ships (in two diff categories too) to see new shows and to have a new environment. Some day I'd like to do a B2B2B2B and spend a month ship hopping in Miami. A girl can dream right? :)

We did a back to back on the Valor this past February is was very nice... Eastern then Western .We are booked next February on the Glory, doing the same thing

We had two different rooms on the Valor which was ok, but I would not do it again, The easiest way around that was to put all your clothes on a hanger and just move it that way and bring the empty hangers back into the old room, it was next door so we walked a lot of things over, I had the wrap for the first week , but did not want to spend the money for the second, but I did for the next cruise.

We did not get any little treets, our friends did, so I am not sure if is was because we had two different rooms, and we got lost in the shuffle.

It took only about 15 min to gather the crowd of about 15 people walk down stairs go thru customs and back on the ship again, it was great.

We went and did our laundry for the second week, before every one came back on.

This next cruise will be our platnium, so we will not have to do the laundry this time.

We leave Friday for our third Back to Back. We have done the Triumph, Valor and now the Glory on Saturday.

I think we got a cat bump up because of it and our past sailings. Paid for an 8A and got a 8E cabin. Plus the price has dropped for both sailings and we have $260.00 each week for OBC.

You don't have to leave your cabin or the ship during the turn over. You get a letter with all the instructions. they arrange a meeting place on board. Everything is done right there. Plus some nice snacks.

You can also get off the ship and go downtown if you wish, You get a pass to get back on. We also jump off for new pictures.

Hope this helps you decide.

Remember, "Happy Wife....Happy Life"

Have fun

]

Which port was this at? I have heard on the Euro cruises you dont have to leave the ship. I know we had to leave the ship when I did my 1st b2b on Liberty.

I just booked us on the Valor for Christmas/New Years. This will be our first "real" back to back. The other was out of Galveston, and two different ships.

We were able this time to get the same room for both weeks, so it should be fun.

Archived