Have You Ever Done This to Get a Free Gift?

SPARKLE10

Hi:

I feel so stupid now.:eek: I went to get some makeup and they were having an offer of spending $21 or more and then you get a little purse with gifts in it. The catch is, everything was about $20. I just paid $20 each for some new lipstick and mascara. There's a reason they price things just below what you need to spend to get the free gift, so of course, it's not really free. But I love getting these offers, even though I'm really paying for them.

Does anyone else do this, or am the only one?:p I'm thinking, duh, that wasn't very bright of me. I'm thinking the purse will make a good purse to take to dinner on my next cruise. I love to dress up every night even if it's not formal night. There aren't too many places to dress up where I live, so I just wear my "dressy" dresses every year when I take my cruises. I do get some funny looks by dressing up every night; but I'm at the age where I don't let funny looks and comments bother me anymore. They used to when I was younger.:rolleyes:

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10 (Anita)

O heck yes I have done that!

It doesn't matter at the time...

You are in the moment and are 'vying' for the prize!

You are a woman focused!:D

Are we supposed to think clearly when our brain is clouded with things that will make us happy?

Many times I have driven home happy as a clam, doing my little happy dance in my seat, with my toddler looking at me like I drank spolied milk outta her sippie cup.

Then, I really give it some thought, and my smile slowly fades, as I realize, hmmph, I think I just got screwed!

Sigh...

But, then I start bouncing again quickly b/c I think how cute I will feel and it is all good!:D :D

Life is short.....;)

Unless it's something I would normally buy, I won't purchase something just for the "free" gift! I did buy some cosmetics for Christmas presents and got a tote bag--and then, I saw a ton of other's with that same bag--so naturally, I won't use it!

What I usually do if something is "just under" the amount needed for a free gift, like i need to spend $21 and my purchase costs $20, I will buy a pencil sharpener or something like this, it's cheap and puts me over the amount needed for the free gift. I've bought something like 3 sharpeners at a makeup counter once for the free gift.

The kicker? I don't own any eye liner or lip liner that needs a sharpener, I am terrible with that stuff so I don't use it. But I have a bunch of sharpeners.

I used to do it but like others say...soooo many of those little bags. Then I find that the "Magic Eye Cream" or the "Super Anti-Wrinkle" potion I vowed to use faithfully sits unused after 3 nights. Now I have little bags filled with little samples appropriate for munchkins.:)

I'll bite if there happens to be something I need when a bonus if offered. Even with that, they've priced things that you just miss the bonus. Soozles, a salesgirl actually suggested the sharpener.:cool:

I usually know when "GWP" is for Clinique at my different stores. I usually make purchases a few weeks before I need a refill, but if I know GWP is around the corner, I'll wait. My foundation is the right amount to the penny.

Yeah, I do that-especially with catalogs. Like now I have a catalog that if I spend $25 I get a 3 piece bag set in this pretty lime green color. It's a weekender, tote and a makeup bag. They are really nice and $40 value. Im debating on whether to order or not.

I usually know when "GWP" is for Clinique at my different stores. I usually make purchases a few weeks before I need a refill, but if I know GWP is around the corner, I'll wait. My foundation is the right amount to the penny.

I do the same with Clinique and Estee Lauder. I only ever buy it when there is a GWP on. I love the free sample sizes as they are great for holidays and packing light. Agreed that the lippy is usually naff but sometimes it can be used as a blusher.

While I don't normally do a purchase-with-purchase, I will stock up when there is a gift with purchase. I regularly use a couple Lancome and Cllinique items, so the gift is a real bonus for me. I sometimes give away the lipsticks to others, share the wealth so to speak. Most of the lipstick shades have a brown tone to them, my skin does not look good with brown lipstick.

I think if the PWP had a few items I might normally buy, I may think about it. I just passed up a Lancome PWP after considering what was in the bag. I loved the bags, but like many others here, just have too many of them, I've thrown some of them into the trash.

Just a note to the OP, the price is the same for the products whether or not they are having a promotion.

Most of the lipstick shades have a brown tone to them, my skin does not look good with brown lipstick.

YES!!! I have more "brown" Clinique lipstick that I can't use either, only a couple from the GWP that I've ever used. Are they getting rid of duds with that brown stuff, does it look good on anyone? Makes one look like they were eating a fudgesicle.:eek:

Hi:

I feel so stupid now.:eek: I went to get some makeup and they were having an offer of spending $21 or more and then you get a little purse with gifts in it. The catch is, everything was about $20. I just paid $20 each for some new lipstick and mascara. There's a reason they price things just below what you need to spend to get the free gift, so of course, it's not really free. But I love getting these offers, even though I'm really paying for them.

Does anyone else do this, or am the only one?:p (Anita)

Oh I do it often...with Clinique at least. I swear by Turnover Cream, but I always wait to buy it until they have the free gift. Why buy it and NOT get something free?? ;)

Archived