What's the Limit?

icecreammama

What is the most you have ever spent on a full suite for 2 people? My husband says I spend way too much money booking suites. He says the price we pay for one cruise, we could be going on three cruises. This time I booked a mini for a good price. Just curious to know, are there any others out there like me who lose their minds as they look at the staterooms?

What is the most you have ever spent on a full suite for 2 people? My husband says I spend way too much money booking suites. He says the price we pay for one cruise, we could be going on three cruises. This time I booked a mini for a good price. Just curious to know, are there any others out there like me who lose their minds as they look at the staterooms?

Thankfully, my DH and I think alike in this. We would rather book one cruise in a nicer suite or mini suite, even at the high price, then to cruise three times as much in a small cramped cabin we would not enjoy.

We tried the less expensive balcony cabins on Princess only a few times before we realized that the quality of our cruise would have been so much nicer in a better stateroom. Since then, no more balcony cabins for us. Mini suite or full suites are all I even price, I don't even compare the balcony cabin and below prices anymore. ;)

There isn't actually a 'limit' as to what the cost might run, that would depend on the sailing, ship and length of cruise we are looking into.

I am sure each person will have their own ideas, but in all seriousness, how much time do you really spend in your cabin?

I would rather spend less money and go on 3 cruises than spend a lot of money and just go on one... but thats just me. :)

Pam

countdown.pl?name=chasinraynbowz&date=11-29-2008&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Ruby Princess

OK Toto, help me out with this one. The cost of upgrading from a mini to a full suite is a little more than double the price. Since I have never been on the CB, if you were me would you stay in the mini or upgrade. To be honest, I have never sailed in anything less than a mini before. Just want to know if the CB mini's are nice and roomy

We've had them all, ocean view, balcony, minis and full suites.

Quite frankly, the full suite was double the price of a mini for

our last year's cruise, and we didn't spend all that much time in

our cabin either. I mean, how much tiime can one spend it it?

We never took advantage of the full dinner menu being delivered to

our cabin, either. But if we were the type of people that loved to

have dinner in every night, then by all means, the full suite is the

way to go!!! I do love the extra large balconies. We usually get an

aft, and they have full-sized chaise lounges.

But this cruise we're back to [horror]:eek: a REGULAR cabin with

balcony. We always switch back and forth.

Truthfully, I felt like it was a bit of a waste of money to get

the full suite. But that's just us.

Fun to try a couple of times but definitely not a requirement.

We were in our cabin and utilized everything about the full suite on the Star, did spend much time at all in the suite on the Crown doing the Southern Caribbean because every day was a port day and we were off the ship from early day in the am until evening. We went back to the mini for our next Southern Caribbean sailing and found it to be perfect because the cruise was so port intensive. This time around we're in a mini again. If I do another cruise which doesn't have many ports and has lots of days at sea I'll go back to the full suite as I enjoy the extra room and the perk of eating dinner in on the balcony.

We always get a suite. It is well worth the price. The bigger the better! We have the Grand Suite booked in October on the Sapphire.

People who say you never spend time in your room- don't have SUITES! We spend every morning on the balcony having breakfast. I'd rather just do one cruise a year if necessary - and get the suite.

No, I have never booked a suite, but then again, haven't wanted to. I have balconies, and that's always been enough for us. Its just the 2 of us and we spend too much time on deck or exploring the ship. I am also a "people person" and love to meet new people. So staying in my cabin is not an option (why stay there stuck with just my husband, when I see him everyday anyway - sorry honey... lol).

We like to be out and about and around all the activity. :D

Pam

countdown.pl?name=chasinraynbowz&date=11-29-2008&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Ruby Princess

OK Toto, help me out with this one. The cost of upgrading from a mini to a full suite is a little more than double the price. Since I have never been on the CB, if you were me would you stay in the mini or upgrade. To be honest, I have never sailed in anything less than a mini before. Just want to know if the CB mini's are nice and roomy

What my opinion is? OK, is it a 7 day Caribbean cruise? If so, I would probably go with the mini suite. We save the full suites (and the $$$$) for longer sailing with more sea days. At double the price, that is pretty high also. What we do is shop around and find that special bargain on the full suites. Believe it or not, last 14 day sailing on the Dawn, we booked the largest suite on the ship for ..................... hope your sitting down......$60 total more than an aft mini suite we had originally thought of booking. So, double the price even for me is a bit rich.....but it all depends on the funds available for your cruise that you have tucked away. lol Plus, the free laundry and other goodies offered with a full suite come in a lot more handy for longer cruises than for 7 day sailings. Our problem is to justify the price of a full suite now, after hitting Elite status, so many of the perks we already receive no matter what category stateroom we have booked. If they just offered in cabin dining for other categories, we probably wouldn't even consider the price of a full suite anymore.

I have never booked a suite, and probably never will.

We are quite content in a standard balcony cabin, although I must admit that I really like the minis on the Sun class.

This thread reaffirms that "one size does not fit all", and that we do have very different opinions.

We always get a suite. It is well worth the price. The bigger the better! We have the Grand Suite booked in October on the Sapphire.

People who say you never spend time in your room- don't have SUITES! We spend every morning on the balcony having breakfast. I'd rather just do one cruise a year if necessary - and get the suite.

:D Perfect answer for us. At this time we can only go on 1 or 2 cruises a year, but each is a full suite......I'm claustrophobic as h..l and have no choice except not to cruise:(.

I would also say that it depends on the reason. I cruise with my mom every year and we usually book minisuites. For last year's cruise we were booked in a minisuite on the Sea Princess (and they are WONDERFUL minisuites) and then my mother had to go through two cancer surgeries in 5 months time. I decided at that time to treat her to a full suite. She still thinks we got a free upgrade because if I had told her I was paying the difference she would have insisted on paying it herself. We enjoyed the suite so much that we ended up upgrading from a minisuite on the Grand to a VS suite for this year's cruise, though she's paying for her own upgrade this year. Since she has had another surgery since the last cruise and has just finished chemo and radiation I feel that the difference is worth it for us. She's been through a lot in the last year and a half and she deserves the chance to feel special.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Toto, I will be going on a 9 night cruise. I'm in a guarantee mini so I think I'll keep it the way it is now and just keep checking prices. If I find a good deal, I'll jump on it and upgrade. We really weren't planning to go on a cruise as we just came back from vacationing in Las Vegas. I just thought the price was so good and the ship is docked literally 15 minutes from my home that we shouldn't pass up this deal. We've never gone on a 9 night (just 7 nights) and this is the cheapest we've ever paid. We've been on a few cruises but the one and only time we were ever on Princess was on our honeymoon 13 years ago. The ship's name was Regal and I have to say Princess was the best cruise in my opinion. NCL Dawn was also excellent. RCCL is very good. Azamara Journey in RS first sailing was a nightmare. Recieved full refund for that cruise. Wound up jumping ship as soon as we docked at Bermuda. Stayed at Cambridge Beaches for rest of vacation and then had to pay through the nose for flights home to NY. But it was so worth it. I was in suites on all these ships. BTW, I know mini suites are 324sq.ft with balcony. How big do you think the room is without the balcony?

Hi Toto. Maybe everyone else is curious too. How did you shop for the largest suite on the ship for $60 total more than an aft mini suite? Were you checking prices hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or did you just happen to see it? One time and one time only, I got a fantastic price for a balcony. This happened for our Millennium in 06 cruise---I booked right off the Celebrity website about 2 months prior to the cruise date. I have never seen a better price since that wonderful buy. I would for sure like to experience a suite someday but it would have to be a great buy.

Toto ~ how did you shop for the largest suite on the ship for $60 total more than an aft mini suite? Were you checking prices daily, weekly, monthly or did you just happen to see it? We got a fantastic price for a balcony on the Millennium in 06. I booked right off the Celebrity website about 2 months prior to the cruise date. I have never seen a better price since that wonderful buy. I would for sure like to experience a suite someday.

I think we just got very lucky. I had emailed our TA and asked for the price of an AB aft mini and an AA suite as I usually do, this was probably 8 or 9 months before the cruise. This was for a 12 day cruise in April of 2007 (sorry, had to look up the invoice, I thought it was 14 days but it was 12, my error) on the Dawn Princess, so it wasn't that long ago. Friends had asked us to join them and we decided to check pricing. The prices came back a total of $60 difference in price between the AB and the AA, that was total for both of us. And the Caribe AA suite was available (the largest onboard), so I grabbed it up. Admittedly, I doubt we will ever run into another deal that great. All I can say is we must have just hit it at the exact right time to get a price like that. Even I couldn't believe it! :eek: :eek: Gotta admit, it was a great two weeks and not all that expensive in comparison to the minis we usually book. ;)

Suite Pictures

I think we just got very lucky. I had emailed our TA and asked for the price of an AB aft mini and an AA suite as I usually do, this was probably 8 or 9 months before the cruise. This was for a 12 day cruise in April of 2007 (sorry, had to look up the invoice, I thought it was 14 days but it was 12, my error) on the Dawn Princess, so it wasn't that long ago. Friends had asked us to join them and we decided to check pricing. The prices came back a total of $60 difference in price between the AB and the AA, that was total for both of us. And the Caribe AA suite was available (the largest onboard), so I grabbed it up. Admittedly, I doubt we will ever run into another deal that great. All I can say is we must have just hit it at the exact right time to get a price like that. Even I couldn't believe it! :eek: :eek: Gotta admit, it was a great two weeks and not all that expensive in comparison to the minis we usually book. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toto ~ thanks for the info. Maybe we will hit the jackpot like that someday. Now I know...when I get quotes from a TA I will get them for different categories. I usually just get a quote for a balcony. From now on I will include a suite. Thanks again. BTW...loved your suite pictures.:) :) :)

I've had suites and I still don't spend a tremendous amount of

time in my room.

HOWEVER, that being said, I've seen that grand suite on the Sapphire,

having given myself a "self-guided" tour on disembarkation day,

and I agree with you, not only would I spend a great deal of time in

that accommodation -- I wouldn't ever LEAVE that accommodation:D

This question reminds me of a coach I had in college....he always said biceps for show triceps for go. In this case it sounds like suite to put on a show and balcony to enjoy the go!

We seem to upgrade to a higher category each time we cruise. Our last cruise we were on NCL and had the wonderful 2 bedroom suite - which was a great deal for two couples. It cost our friends only $500 each for 7 day Hawaii in a full suite. Of course we paid $3000 each, but then we got the master suite.

We decided on a full suite (VS) for our next cruise because it was about the same price we would have to pay for 2 balcony rooms. And traveling with our kids 13 & 17 we decided we felt safer with them in the same room. Sure wish Princess had some of those 2 bedroom suites.

So both times we have selected a full suite based on the space for 4 people, not for the perks. And I've always wanted to try an Aft room.

In this case it sounds like suite to put on a show and balcony to enjoy the go!

Nothing at all to do with putting on a show, a suite is just for pure luxury and comfort for us. We enjoy being spoiled in a suite, the space, the perks, everything about it. After 35+ cruises, we aren't into the gang at the pool anymore, but cruise to get-a-way from the normal everyday life.

well to each their own. Our First cruise was to Alaska in a Balcony cabin, The next cruise we were upgraded to a Mini, After several cruises we were upgraded to a Suite (big mistake now my DW only wants a Suite). Our 2 cruising buddies, one couple, only books the cheapest inside no matter what, our other single male friend only books a mini.

So book what you are comfortable with and enjoy your cruise. But the benifits in a suite are just great. We will be in a Mini on the next 7 day cruise in April, then a suite in May, then a suite in September for the Panama Canal cruise.

Enjoy Cruising

Cricketdog

Really depends on the cruise.

On our Hawaii cruise last May we booked a window, as I knew we wouldn't use the balcony that much going across the Pacific.

If I know that the cruise is going to be port intensive, or any chance of rough or cooler weather than I book a inside:eek: it's smoother and we spend most of our time up on deck or exploring the ship.

I know that Dh wants to try a mini once, but unless I can get a good deal, I'd rather save the money and go on more cruises. I'd have to win the lottery to pay for a full suite. Call me a "cheapie";)

Nothing at all to do with putting on a show, a suite is just for pure luxury and comfort for us. We enjoy being spoiled in a suite, the space, the perks, everything about it. After 35+ cruises, we aren't into the gang at the pool anymore, but cruise to get-a-way from the normal everyday life.

We haven't been on anywhere near 35 cruises but the above exactly reflects our sentiments as well. I'll take fewer and more luxurioius cruises everytime.

Mike:)

This thread really reflects the reason why there are so many different categories and prices for staterooms onboard each ship.

Everyone cruises for their own personal reasons, some cruise often, some cruise rarely. Some cruise mainly for the ship, others for the ports of call. Some enjoy the idea of getting to know others onboard, others like their own personal space.

It is great that there are so many choices of cruise lines out there, categories and prices. And it's wonderful to have those choices as we are all so different. That is another reason cruising is so interesting. Not just the ship, or the ports, but the variety of passengers you will find onboard.

You will find those booking a suite are not noticable at all usually, they dobn't flaunt it onboard or even mention it. I have invited guests over for drinks before and had them shocked when they entered the suite as they had no idea. Those that book suites or those that book inside cabins are just like everyone else.

Many passengers booked in suites you can't locate on formal night, as it just doesn't interest them anymore, and they have dinner in the privacy of their suite often. And you will also find those in the least expensive inside cabin showing up on formal night in an expensive gown and tux. There is no way to tell when you meet someone what category stateroom they are staying in. And to tell you the truth, I don't think anyone cares, at least I don't. Most book what they can afford, they cruise when they can get the time, and they all enjoy it the way they would like.

Variety makes the world intesting, IMHO!

Archived