Grandparents traveling with kids

tarjudy

My dh and I are blessed to be raising 2 grandchildren, ages 7 & 8. We stopped cruising because we were worried about them on the ship. We miss our trips and want to start again. Anyone have any tips. Are there programs where we can bring the children for a couple hours at a time, so we have a little break. Is it safe to have a balcony? any tips or suggestion or warnings would be greatly appreciated. We usually travel princess. Thanks

Most cruise ships feature a children's program. Usually, the kids are broken down by age group, something like 2-5, 6-9, 10-12, & 13-17. These programs are run by the staff.

As to a balcony, your grandchildren should be old enough to listen when you tell them never to climg on the railiing of the balcony. If they stay off it, they are safe. The railing is high enough that even an adult will not accidently go over.

My dh and I are blessed to be raising 2 grandchildren, ages 7 & 8. We stopped cruising because we were worried about them on the ship. We miss our trips and want to start again. Anyone have any tips. Are there programs where we can bring the children for a couple hours at a time, so we have a little break. Is it safe to have a balcony? any tips or suggestion or warnings would be greatly appreciated. We usually travel princess. Thanks

God Bless you for being such wonderful grandparents! Like the previous poster said all of the lines have children's programs and from what I have read some parents have a pretty hard time getting their kids to spend time with them because they are have too much fun.

We are taking our 7yr old granddaughter on a cruise in November and we cannot wait. Just go and enjoy as you well know there is always something for everyone to do.

Happy Sailing.

Dianne

Carnival offers Camp Carnival for children and splits them into age appropriate groups. If you go to the Family boards here you will find lots of information! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49 I believe the balcony doors on Carnival have a lock up high on the door. If you are concerned you could keep that locked and only let them out on the balcony when you are with them. We have taken our grandchildren and never had an issue. I think most 7 & 8 year olds are old enough to understand it is not a good idea to climb on the railings!

My parents are also raising my youngest nephew(7). They have cruised with him a few times and he loves it.

Many lines have programs geared just for the kids.

My parents will only sail in a balcony and the rules were set up before he even got on the ship. He is a very adventures little boy, but he also knows he has to follow the rules. Make it VERY clear up front and part of the planning process as to what you expect of them. Ethan knows the rules at home apply on the cruise, plus extra ones to make him safe.

We've been cruising with DS, who is almost 7, since he was 3. The kids' programs are great because it lets them be around others their own ages and do crafts, play games, have scavenger hunts, talent shows, etc. It will also give you the opportunity to enjoy some of what you've been missing about cruising. And Princess has a great program, and many times a special outdoor play area.

We've always reminded our son that traveling is special, and so many people do not have the opportunity. We also remind him that his behavior will determine how much we will travel in the future. He has loved eating in the dining room and dressing for formal nights is a huge thing for him. I'm sure your grandchildren will be fine and you guys will have a blast as well.

Archived