What is the best upgrade you have ever gotten for FREE?

I don't think the upgrades mean a thing to the cruiselines, they are just trying to put as many bodies on the ship as they can...........The more bodies on a ship the more money they can make once they have you on there.

It really doesn't matter to them if you are in the most expensive cabin or the cheapest one, either way those same cabins are still on the ship whether they are being used on not.

Main objective by the cruiselines..........FILL THE SHIPS........More people , More Money ! [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_4_6.gif[/img][/url]

Jimbo:)

On our honeymoon we booked a DA, now D1 balcony. When we paid our final balance, the price decreased. So we stayed with our current room for about 500 less. When we got on the boat and were checking in we got bumped up to a JR. Suite.

Voyager of the Seas - July 2003
Carnival Jubilee July 2004

We were upgraded from a window room to a balcony for our honeymoon cruise. Unfortunately we didn't get to take advantage of that because we were supposed to be on the Explorer on Sept. 5 and due to Frances we couldn't make it to the ship. So we've rebooked the Voyager for December, but because of price differences btwn Sept. & Dec, we could only get an inside room. I've got my fingers crossed for another free upgrade, even though our TA said that doesn't happen very often. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to come up with some extra cash to try and upgrade when we get there.

When we booked for the 9/26/04 sailing of the NCL star, all that was available was obstructed view, outside for about $850/person. I checked every morning on their website and, the minute an actual outside cabin came available, I held it on the website. Then I called NCL to "release" the room to my TA, who then did the upgrade. First upgrade, to guaranteed outside room, was $40. I still looked everyday and, last week, a mini-suite came available for $240 more. I did the same thing again and am now sailing the 8 day cruise in a mini-suite for $300 more for the both of us. Oh yeah, they also threw in a $100 gas card to thank us for taking it!

So, you watched the NCL website for the available room? I was doing that, but when I emailed the TA, he called and said that they wanted 800 dollars each to upgrade from a picture window to a balcony..so we declined.

You said you "held" the cabin, how did u do that???

We would love to upgrade but not at 800 a piece..how far out from cruise did u get the upgrade??

Thanks

[quote name='WASUP']So, you watched the NCL website for the available room? I was doing that, but when I emailed the TA, he called and said that they wanted 800 dollars each to upgrade from a picture window to a balcony..so we declined.

You said you "held" the cabin, how did u do that???

We would love to upgrade but not at 800 a piece..how far out from cruise did u get the upgrade??

Thanks[/QUOTE]
To hold the room online, set up a login on the NCL site and then book the room. You have to call in the credit card anyway so it works. The first time my TA called to get the upgrade, they claimed it was a ton of money. I had them call back and someone did it for just the difference in fare. I think some people over there know what they are doing and others don't. Maybe $800 really was the difference between the two? We did our first upgrade about 6 weeks out and the second about three.

We booked a 9 day, inside lower deck on RCCL. The cruise was way overbooked - CL proposed an offer to change cruise times - we refused. A few days later another offer was proposed, which we refused. Then they offered a 15 day cruise on Celebrity around the same time. I excepted that but only if they upgraded our room. We got an outside room at a higher deck. It was totally worth it.

[b]In fact yesterday I got upgraded from an AB mini-suite to a PS suite on the Sapphire which is sailing 10/2/04. Man was I excited. Been on 6 princess cruises and the first time for a suite. I will probably get spoiled.[/b]

[b]Marilyn[/b]

Got a call from our TA and we have been up-graded from a mini-suite to a full suite!! We are very excited. Sailing on the Grand on 10/3 to New England/Canada. Will probably never have a suite again so we are going to take full avantage of all the perks. Can't wait!!!
Marcy

I also booked a guaranteed room for 10/24, and have yet to be assigned a room. I heard horrors of bumps...panic! SO I was just hoping for any room, but a little upgrade could happen. Some said the longer I go w/o an assignment, the better the odds of an upgrade...don't suppose I have any shot of the penthouse suite having booked a fairly cheap interior!!!(hey, I can dream!) Oh, well, like I said, I just want to be ON that ship!
Kristin

I booked 2 rooms, a guaranteed balcony and an interior triple. I was just upgraded to an extended balcony and a regular balcony w/sofa bed.

My question to those of you who got upgrades and $ back, did you have to ask for it or did they do it automatically? Supposedly my sailing is not filling up. That is why we were able to get my kids upgraded from an interior to a balcony free.

I was checking prices online for the Enchantment (Canada/New England) from Philadelphia in July of 2005. I was comparing prices for a JS, when up popped a free 2-category upgrade to an aft corner Royal Family Suite for the [b]same[/b] price as the JS. :D

Well, of course, I [b]had [/b]to book it. Cabin 8084. Should be fun having my own bathroom!

I contacted RCI to question if 8084 will remain 8084 after the stretching/refurbishing. I was advised that it will remain the same (hopefully, with new amenities).;)

I think we got pretty lucky - Our upgrade came when the TA callled and my DH answered the phone. This was supposed to be a surprise for his 80th birthday, so when I got on the phone, I told the TA he ruined the surprise and we went from a room w/balcony(obstructed view) on the main deck, to a aft room w/balcony on the Empress Deck - Price for this upgrade - ZERO! Price for the cruise: So much lower than listed on the website-Are we happy? WELL YEAH!

• 1 month later...
my mother wanted me to join her and a group of "Parrotheads" booked on the miracle in 04/04 out of baltimore, 7 days: 3 days at sea, key west, nassau, freeport (yuck itinerary for me but i agreed to go, no such thing as a bad cruise). booked outside room.
ccl overbooked our cruise. we were offered the folllowing:
glory out of tampa
free airline tickets to tampa
$50 ship credit
book of drink coupons
bottle of champagne
better itinerary:
key west
belize
cozumel
progresso
2 days at sea
and best of all A BALCONY!
my mother ended up not coming with me (she broke her hand) and i received her shipboard credit/coupons, I had the greatest time. i am not spoiled by having a balcony...i would stay in a broom closet just to cruise.

• 1 month later...
For my DCL 4 night Bahamas cruise on the Wonder next month, I booked a Category 8 oceanview GTY (I was booking 60 days in advance, the GTY was the only way to book category 8, which is my fave on DCL--have always travelled in that category. The next day I was assigned a stateroom number in a category 8. So I figured the "urban myth" of upgrades when you book GTY would not apply to me, but I was happy because I like Cat. 8. Then about 30 days later I get an email and confirming phone call that I have been upgraded to a category 5 balcony stateroom on the same deck 7 as I have always been on for DCL.

Best hotel upgrade was was in New Orleans, out of season (summer), booked a just plain old regualr room at the Bourbon Orleans on Bourbon Street, got bumped up to a two-level suite with a balcony on Bourbon Street.

Second best was not exactly an upgrade--also New Orleans--the Pontchartrain on St. Charles in the Garden District was overbooked, so they "walked" me (industry term, I am told) to the Royal Sonesta in the heart of the French Quarter for Jazz Fest weekend, a helluva better hotel and location. Only drawback to that--of all my trips to New Orleans--there have been many--that was the only trip with my son, then age 5. The Quarter was not exactly the the place I wanted to be with my 5 year old, who had a few eye-opening sights that weekend!

Best free upgrade we got was on the Carnival Paradise over Thanksgiving about 3 years ago. Not many balconies on that ship only in cat 11 and 12. We decided to go with just an oceanview but as sailing got closer I noticed prices were pretty good on cat 11. I think it cost about $250 total to upgrade so we did but didn't know what cabin we were getting. When we checking bags at the port the baggage handler told us our cabin number I think it was U83 I said know it should be a cabin on V deck. Then I realized they had upgraded us to a cat 12. Nice surprise.

The best upgrade I've ever gotten was from a regular outsdie cabin on the Rhapsody of the Seas to the owner's suite! My ex and I were totally shocked and when we questioned the agent at the pier she said that a group had booked a bunch of cabins and they needed our so since we had sailed many RCCL cruises we were upgraded!

Archived