What is the best upgrade you have ever gotten for FREE?

I don't want to give too much information, but my husband and I are cruising this summer on the Voyager for less than $750 per day and we have a beautiful balconied cabin! There was a screw up in one of the Radisson offices that gave us this remarkable price. Although this is not an upgrade, it is an unbelievable deal!

I don't want to give too much information, but my husband and I are cruising this summer on the Voyager for less than $750 per day and we have a beautiful balconied cabin! There was a screw up in one of the Radisson offices that gave us this remarkable price. Although this is not an upgrade, it is an unbelievable deal!

Have a great trip!!!

WOW I would be impressed with anything less then $750pp:D you must be staying in the Owners suite or something for $750 PER DAY:eek: Happy Cruisin:)

We are booked on Imagination for 11/12/05...I received an email from an online agent offering an OV for $144 less than what we paid. (we booked 6A gart.) I called Carnival about the differ. in price. The woman I spoke to was an extremely bubbly, friendly person, she upgraded us 2 decks we are now next to the Penthouse suites mid-ship,:) would have cost us an additional $240 for the cabin she gave us. When I told her this was my first vacation ever and we are celebrating our engagement, that if she wanted to slide us into a Penthouse we certainly wouldn't mind....she laughed and said she would make a note of it on our registration and that who knows it has happened before....and to keep an eye on prices too cuz if they drop again we could get an even better deal or atleast a nice credit.

sooooo.....1 upgrade down...maybe another before we go!! WOOOHOOO!!....98 days until we sail!!! lol:D :)

• 2 weeks later...

I booked my cruise sometime in early February, my mother-in-law just sailed on the same ship but different itinerary. She received an upgrade to VB, I booked VB Guarantee, I've checked back with the TA but haven't been assigned a stateroom yet(cruise is 10/12/05) but she tells me that everything is sold out except for the Verandah Suites. What are the chances that I get an upgrade to a Suite? I checked on HAL and they are even listing that the only rooms available are the Suites.

• 2 weeks later...

My first (and only cruise so far, yes, I know it's sad) was way back in the mid 80's. Four of us book one inside cabin (cheapest available). Our travel agent called us when she got our travel docs and said she'd never seen such a great upgrade in her life.......two outside cabins three desks up with big windows, not those dinky portholes. We were thrilled. Nearly 20 years later and I still consider it one of my best vacations ever.

Going on my next cruise on Oct. 8th on the Mercury. Can't wait!!!!!

(and booked an outside cabin)

We are booked on Imagination for 11/12/05...I received an email from an online agent offering an OV for $144 less than what we paid. (we booked 6A gart.) I called Carnival about the differ. in price. The woman I spoke to was an extremely bubbly, friendly person, she upgraded us 2 decks we are now next to the Penthouse suites mid-ship,:) would have cost us an additional $240 for the cabin she gave us. When I told her this was my first vacation ever and we are celebrating our engagement, that if she wanted to slide us into a Penthouse we certainly wouldn't mind....she laughed and said she would make a note of it on our registration and that who knows it has happened before....and to keep an eye on prices too cuz if they drop again we could get an even better deal or atleast a nice credit.

sooooo.....1 upgrade down...maybe another before we go!! WOOOHOOO!!....98 days until we sail!!! lol:D :)

Excellent! Have a great trip.

In February 2003, we went on our first Princess cruise at an incredible price as someone working for my hubby at the time had a gf working for the cruiseline (the two have since gotten married aboard a ship, of course). the day before, there was a message left on our answering machine asking if we could postpone for a few weeks, get a full refund and an upgrade to a balcony. We didn't take them up on the offer because:

1. We were packed and ready to go. We didn't want to wait any longer (y'all understand that)

2. Didn't want a balcony because of our little girl. We don't mind insides at all as we try to spend as much time out of our cabin as possible

3. It was already a great deal.

4. We were going to be on a Love Boat cruise during Valentine's Day!

5. We didn't want to risk the war with Iraq starting while we were on the cruise as a couple of the guys working for my hubby also worked for the military. If they suddenly got deployed, he would need to be there as they would be shorthanded and he's one of the supervisors for a 24/7 shop that needs to be manned at all times.

We're guessing we got the offer because we had a cheapie cabin and we were within driving distance of the port.

• 2 weeks later...

Not an upgrade, but a huge price drop-we booked Southern Carib on Celebrity Galaxy out of San Juan for 2/02. Out booking price was very good, at $600-something/person for an inside. Around October 2001, we found out that the price had been cut drastically. It was post-9/11, and people didn’t feel comfortable traveling. We did, and ended up keeping our inside cabins for just under $300/person for 7 days. In retrospect, I wish we could have used the savings to upgrade, but we were much more broke then than we are now, so we needed the money more than we needed the nicer room.

Our first cruise we chose our cabin, and this time we booked a guarentee OV on the Glory. But less then a week later, I chose to upgrade it myself to a guarentee Balcony. It was only about 100.00 more per person to go up this early. So now I wait to see if we get upgraded by the upgrade fairy. But I am just thrilled to be planning a cruise with a balcony...Now how to pass 451 more days!:rolleyes:

for 13 months we had a oceanview on the riviera deck paid for. when we got to the dock we had been bumped up to the verandah deck with a balcony. wow, what a great surprise. it was my first balcony and i wont go back to a cabin without one. this trip we are booked on the upper deck/aft extended balcony. cant wait to get on board and start the cruise :D .

Our cruise this fall on Celebrity. Booked inside cabin for $825 GTY. 6 weeks before cruise noticed Celebrity was selling outside GTY cabin for $800. Took a couple of phone calls and some pushing, but Celebrity upgraded us to an outside GTY and the next day assigned our cabin. We will really enjoy this upgrade as it is on a 14 day transatlantic.

• 4 weeks later...

Our first cruise beginning of Sept. to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, we were upgraded from an E1 with balcony to a Mini Suite on

RCCL's Navigator at the check in. No idea why? this was a brilliant surprise!. Had booked 18 months before, so maybe this helped?

Tessa:)

• 2 months later...

My friend and I went on the Carnival Elation in summer 2004. Between us we've probably done 10-12 CCL cruises, which might have something to do with our upgrade. Or maybe it was just a big flub-up on CCL's part, who knows! We made our way to our outside cabin (not even a balcony) and began sitting on the beds, opening the water bottle, dirtying up the towels, etc...when suddenly a couple walks in and says "What are you doing in our room?" We responded with "What are you doing in OUR room?" After a grumpy call to the purser by the man, he told us we were, indeed in the wrong room and had been moved to another room. Naturally we huffed off to see what kind of dive we were bumped to. "Carnival is going to hear about this" I said. Hmph. Anyway - we got to our new room and lo and behold - a PENTHOUSE SUITE! Our faces must've been like ones you see on Candid Camera! Not kidding - I've never seen a bigger room on a ship in my 30+ cruises. I have a feeling CCL double-booked that first room and when pushed on it, they went with the pair who had the most CCL cruises. YAY US!!!!! The best part was when the woman from our 1st room appeared at our door to demand payment for the opened Evian bottle - we invited her in for a cocktail and to see our new digs. She was bitter the rest of the week. The downside to getting the upgrade: we're spoiled now. ;)

My friend and I went on the Carnival Elation in summer 2004. Between us we've probably done 10-12 CCL cruises, which might have something to do with our upgrade. Or maybe it was just a big flub-up on CCL's part, who knows! We made our way to our outside cabin (not even a balcony) and began sitting on the beds, opening the water bottle, dirtying up the towels, etc...when suddenly a couple walks in and says "What are you doing in our room?" We responded with "What are you doing in OUR room?" After a grumpy call to the purser by the man, he told us we were, indeed in the wrong room and had been moved to another room. Naturally we huffed off to see what kind of dive we were bumped to. "Carnival is going to hear about this" I said. Hmph. Anyway - we got to our new room and lo and behold - a PENTHOUSE SUITE! Our faces must've been like ones you see on Candid Camera! Not kidding - I've never seen a bigger room on a ship in my 30+ cruises. I have a feeling CCL double-booked that first room and when pushed on it, they went with the pair who had the most CCL cruises. YAY US!!!!! The best part was when the woman from our 1st room appeared at our door to demand payment for the opened Evian bottle - we invited her in for a cocktail and to see our new digs. She was bitter the rest of the week. The downside to getting the upgrade: we're spoiled now. ;)

Love that you invited her in for the cocktail and that she was bitter the rest of the week!

Our previous best was a Disney Cat. 8 to a Cat. 5, but it had a solid walled verandah--had been our only balcony until last week. But we were upgraded from a Royal Caribbean GS to an Owner's Suite last week, went from 358 sq. ft. to 512 sq. ft., much more central location, upgraded to a 42 inch plasma TV, and the marble bath with the separate shower and the jacuzzi tub.

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess..4-1-06 we had a balcony room and a room number...last month, I went to make the final payment after my Ta called me. She said she was holding a mini suitte..and she could upgrade me for free...I was very excited...now dd has her own sofa bed and does not have to sleep above mom and dad like last year..and we get a tub! We also get two t.v's more closet space and a bigger balcony.:D

I booked about a month ago, the Elation 9/10/06 an cat.6A oceanview GTY. This is the first time in 17 cruises that i have ever booked a GTY, what are my chances of getting upgraded? This will be my 4th Carnival cruise, so I am a past-passenger.

Archived