Golden October 10 Oversold??

mringenoldus

This does not answer your question but atleast I will save you a "bump up"

I think, correct me if I am wrong, that a lot of the Caribbean sailings are "oversold" due to passengers missing, canceling, postponing etc their cruise due to hurricanes. Just a thought.[IMG]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_11.gif[/IMG]

Okay, I learn a lot from these boards. But I have never read about over booking. I am used to it happening on flights and am always thankful when I have a seat assignment in advance because those that don't are in the INvoluntary bump category. Does Princess sell more rooms than are on the ship? And then when some poor soul shows up at the dock -- sorry?

When the ship is overbooked, the cruise line begins calling passengers and offering incentives to get them to accept another sailing. Many people are reluctant due to airline tickets, schedules etc. However, people who live near ports and have flexible schedules are often pleased to take advantage of the credits and upgrades.

I read where one woman received a call and declined. She then received a second call and Princess had upped the ante. (If I remember correctly - she had to decline that also but wished she could have accepted)

They do overbook cruises sometimes. On our last Grand Princess cruise we got a call the week before we were to leave asking us to move one week forward. They offered us an upgrade and a large shipboard credit. Unfortunately we were traveling with friends who could not move the week. Just thought I would conferm this DOES happen! Happy cruising!

Our 10/24 cruise on the Golden has been oversold for a long time. Now it appears that some of the cabins may be opening. I asked about that since I was on the waitlist for a full suite and was told by more than one rep that people were cancelling, changing cruises due to weather, didn't pay their balances, etc. Who knows what the next few weeks will bring.

We had booked a 10 day panama canal itinerary with Carnival aboard the Tropicale in January 2001. It was oversold and Carnival gave us a 100% refund and rebooked us on a 7 day eastern itinerary, same week, aboard the Victory for FREE! 10 passangers in our Group.

We are all locals from Fort lauderdale so no flights to deal with etc...

Gary

[quote name='Pam in MA']The question is... are the "oversold" cabins Guarantees or are they assigned cabins? I can understand the Guarantees being oversold but I find it hard to believe that if you have an assigned cabin, that it's suddenly not available. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

Princess over books the ship - it doesn't matter if someone has a cabin or not. Princess keeps increasing the incentives to passengers to give up their cabin (assigned or not assigned) and take another cruise. I have been called on 2 occasions to be bumped and each time I said no - they said "have a great cruise on the one you are booked on". Both times I had been called - I had a cabin assignment. They really are not denying passengers - they are just making it very attractable to those who have flexible schedules to switch. If you can't switch, they call someone else.

Expedia has balcony cabins, penthouse suites and premium suites and they will show the stateroom number when you continue to book.

Our 10/24 cruise was also over sold. Now they have all 4 premium suites, 6 penthouse suites and today on cruisesonly.com, balcony staterooms, and some oceanview obstructed showed up. I guess maybe the hurricanes have people jittery and they're changing the dates or there are some Floridians who now can't go due to damage to their homes.

You're probably right about the Floridian cruisers. Hate to bring up the "I" word but hopefully, they had cruise insurance so that they could cancel and take care of their homes or family. Another case for cruise insurance -- it's not just about one's own health.

[quote name='Pam in MA']You're probably right about the Floridian cruisers. Hate to bring up the "I" word but hopefully, they had cruise insurance so that they could cancel and take care of their homes or family. Another case for cruise insurance -- it's not just about one's own health.[/QUOTE]

As a Floridian with a cruise booked for 10/24 on the Golden, I for one am thrilled that I purchased insurance for the first time on any of my cruises or any of my many trips.

I hope you haven't had to deal with the extreme damage we've seen on the news reports. (Over here in the SW desertwe would have welcomed the rain!)

There were 2 suites now showing open on a ship that had been off the travel sites for over a month. We even have a member of our roll call group who may have to cancel due to a sick relative. We will miss him if that happens - and I hope he had the insurance.

Are you having to cancel 10-24? If so, I hope you are able to reschedule soon.

[quote name='mringenoldus']I hope you haven't had to deal with the extreme damage we've seen on the news reports. (Over here in the SW desertwe would have welcomed the rain!)

There were 2 suites now showing open on a ship that had been off the travel sites for over a month. We even have a member of our roll call group who may have to cancel due to a sick relative. We will miss him if that happens - and I hope he had the insurance.

Are you having to cancel 10-24? If so, I hope you are able to reschedule soon.[/QUOTE]

I don't have to cancel our 10/24 cruise. If another hurricane does appear, then we will have to stay home as I don't want to leave my 3 kids home alone with my mom. I'm so keeping my fingers crossed that we can go as we need it badly.
We've personally been very, very lucky. Ivan was due to come directly into the Naples area as a Cat 4 or 5 and changed gears and then hit the panhandle. We spent a lot of time and money getting ready for that one. We've only had minor damage and loss of electricity with the hurricanes, but have family that have had damage with both in Jupiter. It's the stress that is greatly getting to me, I just hate living like this. Thanks for asking.

Suites and cabins are showing up on our 10/24 cruise that also was sold out for months. I can only guess that people had to cancel and/or change their cruise dates.

Archived