Cairns/Kuranda

konatyme

We are going to take a Kuranda tour when we visit Cairns in late Oct./early Nov. 2008. We are currently looking at taking one of 2 tours. Each includes the Kuranda Scenic Rail and the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, but one includes time at the Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, while the other features visits to the Australian Butterfly Sancutary, Birdworld, and the Kuranda Koala Gardens. Has anyone out there visited any or all of these sites? I have read some negative reviews of the Cultural Park and since we will also be visiting Uluru and Alice Springs, I'm wondering whether we'll be disappointed if we choose it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Pat

I'm not sure how the costing would compare, but you can book the Skyway and Kuranda Scenic Rail and then visit whatever you wish in Kuranda. You'll enjoy both routes and just wandering around the village, with its unique atmosphere, at your leisure.

http://www.skyrail.com.au/tours.html

http://www.kurandascenicrailway.com

http://www.tjapukai.com.au

We haven't visited any of the attractions mentioned, but have heard good reports about Tjapukai.

My wife and I visited the cultural center before heading up the Skyrail (it's located right at the base). We enjoyed it as we didn't know too much about the aboriginies in Australia. I remember the grounds being somewhat spartan and we were on our way in an couple of hours at most. However, this was more than 5 years ago so it might be upgraded and have more attractions and activities than when we visited.

I must say that we had a wonderful experience recently (Feb)when visiting the Kuranda Rain Forest via Skyrail and the Aboriginal Cultural Center. We didn't have the opportunity to go to the Wildlife Center, but wished we had. I have heard awesome things about it even on yesterday. If you are venturing into the Outback (Ayers Rock), you will have perhaps a more authentic experience in the Aboriginal lifestyle and culture.

The Skyrail via Gondola was simply great! If you are going to be in region, don't miss the Great Barrier Reef.

Hope this helps. Pinkie

Pinksuit, what was the weather like up at the reef? We plan to go Feb 09 and would like any hints you found helpful. How many days are necessary? We'll be going after getting off the 12-day Princess Auckland-Sydney cruise. Thanks!

Pinksuit, what was the weather like up at the reef? We plan to go Feb 09 and would like any hints you found helpful. How many days are necessary? We'll be going after getting off the 12-day Princess Auckland-Sydney cruise. Thanks!

The weather for the Reef @ on the day we visited was mixed..... Breezy, some overcast & sunshine. The temperature was approximately - 78 degrees. From what we heard - weather was somewhat odd this year during late January until mid- Feb. However, it was so lovely. You will have a spendid time! If you are a sea lover and have the extra time....please go to the Bay of Islands! Simply Awesome - Awesome - Awesome. Lots of water sports and the water is breathtaking!

Pinkie

Thank you! We do hope to go to Bay of Islands as our group is considering getting an RV out of Auckland precruise for a couple of days. Glad to hear it's worth the time. We are so looking forward to our trip -- though it's still 10 months 29 days, etc. etc. but who's counting! Thanks again!

Archived