Shopping at Puerta Maya Pier

nightingail

Can anyone tell me if the shopping is good at the Puerta Maya Pier. We will be docking there and was wondering if we can find those famous Mexican blankets and also Vanilla. Also is there a pharmacy there?..Any info is appreciated....Two women traveling together and are unsure about venturing off too far.....Thanks, Nightingail.

We were there in June and the shopping was fine at theieeir. Lots of stores to go to and yes, blankets everywhere ($4 each- an amazing price). Vanilla was everywhere also. We didn't venture into town where the prices are supposed to be better, but we were "shopped out" just from the pier area. Don't forget to bargain with the vendors! My wife eyed a turquoise and silver bracelet in one of the jewelry stores and the price was $65. After bargaining back and forth, I got it for $40. Saw something similar in a department store at home for almost $100.

One piece of advice- don't buy anything right away until you have walked all around and sampled all the stores. Some were definately cheaper than others for the same items.

Have fun!

Hi Gail. I'm female, solo cruiser, and I go everywhere alone. I grab a cab and go wherever I want. You and your friend should be cautious, but don't be afraid to venture out and experiment all the new places that will make your vacation special. I sometimes go into San Miguel, and sometimes to one of the beaches....Chankanaab Park is great!

I think the shopping at Puerta Maya Pier is as good as going into San Miguel - I've found that some of the shops are even less expensive. (I don't shop for jewelry, so it may be less elsewhere?) I get at least one blanket ($4) on every cruise, vanilla, and always some quaint artifact - I love the papier-mache 14" old lady figures I got last cruise. Unique, to say the least, and a great conversation piece. Lots to be found in the a/c mall building right as you get off the ship, but the other shops at the pier have slightly less prices. Have fun!:)

Now I know where we will shop and where to find things...The paper mache figurines are exactly what I have in mind for a unique gift!....Now if only we knew the hurricanes will be gone from the area and we can enjoy our stop in Cozumel!......feel kind of guilty looking for pleasure when so many have been devastated......Nightingail.

:D I love my old papier-mache lady. She sits on my computer desk - she's kinda weird looking, but adorable at the same time. I brought one back for my daughter last cruise, and she said "Mom, that is so funky...love it!" I got these in the a/c mall bldg, they were only around $4-5! Oh, and the blankets may seem a bit stiff - but once they're washed, they're oh so soft. You can find them in almost every shop for $4. If you're interested in Lalique or Lladro, the prices are great in that first bldg.

The shops right at the pier are mostly upscale - A short walk into town - Left from the pier - about two or three blocks there is a new shopping center to the right - last time we were there it was under construction - but I understand there is a sort of supermarket there with some very good vanilla prices - everybody has blankets for about $4.

Ron

Are you all talking about the mall you have to walk through to cross over the street when you get off the ship? When we were in Coz last year, you had to walkto th eend of the pier, up an escalator, cross over a pedestrian bridge, then walk through a mall to get out to the cabs and the main street into the town. Is this the mall you are referring to? Because I thought the prices downtown were better.

Let's see if I can explain. Cozumel has three piers for cruise ships:

Punta Langosta Pier - downtown San Miguel area.

Puerta Maya Pier - owned by Carnival; requires taxi ride to SM or beaches.

International Pier - used mostly by other shiplines.

The Puerta Maya Pier - most Carnival ships dock there - but not all.

When you get off the ship, you're on a concrete pier. (I've never seen an escalator, nor a pedestrian bridge...just a very long pier.) You have two choices to get to the shopping area and taxi stands: There is a walkway around the left side of the a/c duty-free shop bldg., OR you can walk through it. I always walk thru it - it's nice and cool.

Hope this makes sense.:confused:

Chris - Thx for showing the Puerta Maya Pier. (I guess I don't have the right equipment, couldn't get the video.)

P'nut - You obviously docked at the Punta Lagosta Pier. The Puerta Maya Pier area doesn't have a Carlos 'n Charlies.:) Fat Tuesdays is just to the left after you get off the PM pier.

The pier in which Carnival docks is the one that is very new. When we were there in March 2003, they were still landscaping. You walked from the ship right into a huge duty-free shop. I thought the shopping at the pier was great. Shops were brand new and basically everything was there that you would have wanted. Downtown was fine and during the day, you and your girlfriend would be fine. After dinner, we just went back out to the pier and it was a lot of fun...lots of people partying but very safe. I would agree, spend a few hours at Chanakaab. It's so much better than a tour and so relaxing! Just take a cab right to the park and you'll be fine. My husband and I never felt unsafe at all during our stay in Cozumel. Don't be alarmed, when we were there, the security was very, very tight and by the duty-free shop there were armed guards.

Almost all Carnival ships dock at the Puerta Maya pier, which is not the brand new one. If Puerta Maya is full, THEN the Carnival overload will dock at Punta Langosta.

I am fairly sure Princess docks primarily at the International pier.

Shopping is available at all three piers, but you'll find better prices and variety in town. Also if you get off the ship, shop at the pier and then get right back on, you are not allowed to say you went to Mexico! :p The shops at the piers generally close when there are no more ships docked at that pier. As long as there are customers...

Enjoy!

Yes there is. Go to http://www.cozumelinsider.com/cruisehips to find this weeks schedule. Unfortunately they only show one week at a time. If you can find your ship for this week (if it is a 7 ngiht cruise) it should be the same for the week you are sailing. Since Princess is now owned by Carnival, you are likely to find it docked at Puerta Maya the newest cruise ship pier.

Bon Voyage

Archived