Customer service? Hah!

dakrewser

I'm glad you got squared away. All's well that ends well.

'Tis a shame that you didn't get that nice fellow's name ... you coulda sent an atta boy to Seattle. And, I mean that sincerely and not sarcastically.

Oh, Dave! I'm so happy for you! :) :) Now Makrewser will have someone to hold all her "stuff" while she takes pictures.

Oh, and you'll get to enjoy the tour, too. ;)

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Thanks for letting us know The Rest of the Story.

I beg to differ. Although they may not be able to help you change things, I found them most helpful and reassuring. I received an email that my cruise and excursions had been cancelled. It was a Sunday and needless to say I was a bit concerned. He was able to explain that when I got a price drop a few days earlier I received a new booking number and my excursions were cancelled. He was able to confirm that I was still on the ship. I did need to call my agent on Monday and get my new booking number. She was upset with HAL because they did not inform her that my excursions would be cancelled. All is good and worked out.

This is highly unusual, normally it you book with an agent, no cruise line will talk to you. They consider the travel agency the owner of the reservation and there is good reason for this. If they talk to the client and the client talks to his/her tA you are now facing a he said/he said situation.

Nita

Dave, I am SO glad this worked out for you!:) Funny how when things work out our way there's just no point in hashing over the mess along the way.

That final click you have to make when booking tours cannot be seen without scrolling down ... very annoying. It sure looked like a confirmation page to me!!!

Oh, well ... all's well that ends well!:D

Good for you, Dave!

Meanwhile, I've been hosting houseguests from Seattle for the past few weekends - and in between earning my bonus (and hopefully, promotion - knock on wood...) that's paying for Europe this summer...

This is highly unusual, normally it you book with an agent, no cruise line will talk to you. They consider the travel agency the owner of the reservation and there is good reason for this. If they talk to the client and the client talks to his/her tA you are now facing a he said/he said situation.

Nita

If you book with a agent you can also book your tours with HAL...They will talk to you even though you haven't booked the cruise directly with them.

I just had a bad experience trying to book a cruise with HAL. Seems as though the agents just tell you anything to get the booking. After so many frustrating days and hours on the phone, I called Customer Service. They denied any type of problem, even though they did not know the details. I eventually got a person who said they were a supervisor and later found out they weren't. And she really screwed up. She spent almost four hours of my time either on hold or waiting for her to call back. Although she claimed to be a "high up" supervisor, she obviously was running back and forth to her supervisor for answers. She finally agreed I was given wrong quotes for the cabin prices, and we eventually reviewed everything, including port charges, taxes and fuel surcharges, etc. and came to an agreement on the price and category. She even said she could give me the $150. shipboard credit - it was $300. for two people but I was going alone so it was $150.

For some reason, she did not send the confirmation until the next morning, and then it was hundreds of dollars more than our agreed price. And the shipboard credit was only $75.00 . I tried all day to resolve the issue, but after speaking with four or five junior people who all declared they were "high up" supervisors and that I had reached the end of the line as far as superiority, and they wouldn't give me the original price I was quoted, I do not have a good feeling about HAL. Originally, the first person that sent me the quote/confirmation of my cabin on hold, told me that now I could go ahead and book my flight, and then call her back to confirm the hold on the cabin and pay for it. I booked my flight and now have to forfeit the cost of the flight because I refuse to pay the hundreds of dollars extra for the cabin and feel that more mistakes were made and that I shouldn't have to pay for their inefficiency.

I eventually reached the second highest person in customer service who said that if the junior agent said she didn't make a mistake, then they believe her. The junior agent has denied saying that she could give me the $150. shipboard credit. I have 12 pages of notes of people who gave me incorrect info, about the cabin sizes, whether the shipboard credit can be used for excursions, etc. etc. but they still won't assist me. I even wrote down the names, times and dates of each person I spoke with. I have been overcharged but they keep saying I have been "compensated" but won't explain what they mean or how to heck I have been compensated when I have to pay hundreds of dollars more.

So. ....... as it stands, I am out the price of the flight - $1800.

Has anyone else received such mixed up information and been overcharged? I have cruised all over the world, so it's not like I don't know how cabin pricing and bookings go.

Now I am stuck with two wasted weeks holidays that I can't change, and an $1800. flight. I am almost physically sick from being on hold for almost 14 hours today, shuffled from person to person who won't assist me. I was patient and calm but it doesn't seem to matter.

I just had a bad experience trying to book a cruise with HAL. Seems as though the agents just tell you anything to get the booking. After so many frustrating days and hours on the phone, I called Customer Service. They denied any type of problem, even though they did not know the details. I eventually got a person who said they were a supervisor and later found out they weren't. And she really screwed up. She spent almost four hours of my time either on hold or waiting for her to call back. Although she claimed to be a "high up" supervisor, she obviously was running back and forth to her supervisor for answers. She finally agreed I was given wrong quotes for the cabin prices, and we eventually reviewed everything, including port charges, taxes and fuel surcharges, etc. and came to an agreement on the price and category. She even said she could give me the $150. shipboard credit - it was $300. for two people but I was going alone so it was $150.

For some reason, she did not send the confirmation until the next morning, and then it was hundreds of dollars more than our agreed price. And the shipboard credit was only $75.00 . I tried all day to resolve the issue, but after speaking with four or five junior people who all declared they were "high up" supervisors and that I had reached the end of the line as far as superiority, and they wouldn't give me the original price I was quoted, I do not have a good feeling about HAL. Originally, the first person that sent me the quote/confirmation of my cabin on hold, told me that now I could go ahead and book my flight, and then call her back to confirm the hold on the cabin and pay for it. I booked my flight and now have to forfeit the cost of the flight because I refuse to pay the hundreds of dollars extra for the cabin and feel that more mistakes were made and that I shouldn't have to pay for their inefficiency.

I eventually reached the second highest person in customer service who said that if the junior agent said she didn't make a mistake, then they believe her. The junior agent has denied saying that she could give me the $150. shipboard credit. I have 12 pages of notes of people who gave me incorrect info, about the cabin sizes, whether the shipboard credit can be used for excursions, etc. etc. but they still won't assist me. I even wrote down the names, times and dates of each person I spoke with. I have been overcharged but they keep saying I have been "compensated" but won't explain what they mean or how to heck I have been compensated when I have to pay hundreds of dollars more.

So. ....... as it stands, I am out the price of the flight - $1800.

Has anyone else received such mixed up information and been overcharged? I have cruised all over the world, so it's not like I don't know how cabin pricing and bookings go.

Now I am stuck with two wasted weeks holidays that I can't change, and an $1800. flight. I am almost physically sick from being on hold for almost 14 hours today, shuffled from person to person who won't assist me. I was patient and calm but it doesn't seem to matter.

I am sorry this happened to you. It sounds like perhaps they did not give you all the taxes, port fees and or fuel surcharge initially?

Don't cancel. Get you confirmation and find an online TA (one with an 800 number) to transfer your reservation. Get quotes from ones who advertise on Cruise Critic. HAL allows discounting. I am not sure what itinerary or cabin but I am confident you can get a huge discount by transfering your booking to an outside agent. I just saved $1,600 (two persons) on a Verandah for 2 people (10 days).

Also, tell us your itinerary date, cabin etc and someone on CC can look online and tell you exactly what price HAL should have quoted you because you can get the rate right on HAL's website (it just would not show the OBC).

Btw, I have dealt with Lance English a PCC for HAL in Seattle, and he is great and never any missinformation. He loves his job. Btw, they still get their small commission if you transfer from HAL to an outside Agent. We need more info on what you were quoted vs end price to find oit what happened, maybe the 150% single rate?

14 hours? Wow.

Jade is giving you good advice. The HAL web site can provide you with prices for any available cabin- there is no mystery to it.

Better yet, just use a travel agency to get a better price.

Thank you for all of the support and advice. HAL had a three day sale and their price was as low as the outside internet agencies, but I realize it usually is much higher to go through HAL themselves. But now most of the cabins are sold, so HAL won't allow the internet agencies to have the cabins. I was on the Black Sea/Egypt/ Holy Lands tour on May 14 and the price I was given consistently by about 11 HAL agents was a total of $2579. including port charges, $117 taxes and $60. surcharge for the fuel. This was for an M category for me to have the cabin alone. That was confirmed by HAL when I booked but the person taking the booking sent me a price of $2746. with is what I was quoted for a category K each time I called. And again, she said I would get the $150. shipboard credit, but I only received $75. on my confirmation notice. Right now I have gone as high up as I can with secretary/warrior "Sherry" in Mr. Vierra's office, and she doesn't understand the situation and therefore could not relate my complaint properly to him, but will not allow me to speak to him directly. Basically, they are going to defend what their employees have done, even though the person changed their story several times and lied and said she was a supervisor. She didn't send the confirmation until the following day, and then eventually sent two, so obviously she didn't know what she was doing.

I am out an $1800. flight right now, as they are letting my cabin go. because I won't pay the hundreds of dollars more.

How did you manage to speak to 14 different agents ? I am exhausted just thinking about this.

I just took a peak at the conditions of a recent three day sail. The fine print said "single cabin occupants paying 200% of the cabin price are eligible for OBC". I don't know if this is the same 3 day sail promotion that you booked. If it is and you got $75, you were ahead of the game.

In any event, you can pay a relatively nominal change fee and use your airline tickets for another cruise and another European port. The sameint inerary is available this fall or perhaps at this point, it make more sense to book a cruise with another cruise line.

Sparkydear - if I follow your latest post correctly. You were given a price of $2579 originally for a cat M, but were invoiced for $2749 for a cat K, a difference of $167 (which, coincidentally is about the total of the taxes + fuel surcharge). And you are now going to forfeit an $1800 airfare rather than pay the $167 difference for the slightly better cabin? Excuse me if I missed something there.

Good for you, Dave!

Meanwhile, I've been hosting houseguests from Seattle for the past few weekends - and in between earning my bonus (and hopefully, promotion - knock on wood...) that's paying for Europe this summer...

Good to see you, Brian! I wondered where you'd been hiding! I don't think I've seen you post since before we left on our cruise...and I was concerned.

Thank you for all of the support and advice. HAL had a three day sale and their price was as low as the outside internet agencies, but I realize it usually is much higher to go through HAL themselves. But now most of the cabins are sold, so HAL won't allow the internet agencies to have the cabins. I was on the Black Sea/Egypt/ Holy Lands tour on May 14 and the price I was given consistently by about 11 HAL agents was a total of $2579. including port charges, $117 taxes and $60. surcharge for the fuel. This was for an M category for me to have the cabin alone. That was confirmed by HAL when I booked but the person taking the booking sent me a price of $2746. with is what I was quoted for a category K each time I called. And again, she said I would get the $150. shipboard credit, but I only received $75. on my confirmation notice. Right now I have gone as high up as I can with secretary/warrior "Sherry" in Mr. Vierra's office, and she doesn't understand the situation and therefore could not relate my complaint properly to him, but will not allow me to speak to him directly. Basically, they are going to defend what their employees have done, even though the person changed their story several times and lied and said she was a supervisor. She didn't send the confirmation until the following day, and then eventually sent two, so obviously she didn't know what she was doing.

I am out an $1800. flight right now, as they are letting my cabin go. because I won't pay the hundreds of dollars more.

Sparkydear, the fare that I got was not listed on the TA's web site (probab because of the 3 day sale).

In all fairness to you, I wonder if there was an error on the Sale the first day (was this last week)? Last week I went to transfer and my new TA gave me a price (on e-mail) including all taxes and fees. It took me a day to get the transfer paperwork to her and her phoning and she said the price had either gone up $80.00pp or HAL had quoted her wrong, but she couldn't do any better with her discount. I didn't like payng $160 more than quoted (two people) but still $1,600 less than my direct booking. Now isn't it interesting that both of our quotes were off by about $160.00 (yours per Hammybee was the 3 day sale priced at 200% for a single). My itinerary is a 10 day on the Noordam. Perhaps there was a computer mix-up etc and all prices went up $160.00 per cabin the next day?

Btw, my quote was on Tuesday March 4 and TA phoned/faxed and confirmed transfer on Wednesday March 5.

Besides my $1,600 savings we are also getting a cocktail party and free full day tour with lunch (HAL charges $122.00pp for their like tour) from our TA (we also have a few OBC from originally booking onboard). My TA worked around the whole "New Bookings Only" pricing including moving my insurance with HAL and keeping the OBC, so I really couldn't get mad over the $160.00 misquote which I believe did come from HAL.

Is this the Rotterdam May 14 that goes to Israel and Eqypt? What a great itinerary (And what a great price you have). I can't check on-line prices for you as the TA I checked only has Suites left but if you still have the booking you can transfer. Btw, the TA I used shows a free cocktail party and free tour in Constanta (with lunch) on that date.

Sparkydear - if I follow your latest post correctly. You were given a price of $2579 originally for a cat M, but were invoiced for $2749 for a cat K, a difference of $167 (which, coincidentally is about the total of the taxes + fuel surcharge). And you are now going to forfeit an $1800 airfare rather than pay the $167 difference for the slightly better cabin? Excuse me if I missed something there.

She is looking at it as a $242.00 difference for the M because ofthe $75.00 vs $150.00 OBC.

If the cabin is booked Sparky should be able to transfer to a TA and pay a little less. HAL has to give a TA commission and the TA needs to give some back to make it worth her while to do the transfer to them.

Curent price seems great for a 14 night on the Rotterdam going to Israel and Eqypt.

If you book with a agent you can also book your tours with HAL...They will talk to you even though you haven't booked the cruise directly with them.
sorry, you are right about that. I was more referring to anything involving your reservation, even down the cabin number. Most of the time you would want to book the excursions through the cruiseline. I stand corrected.

Nita

Problem was that HAL decided to let my cabin go and there are no others available, so I am stuck with the $1800. flight.

I guess the point is, that many of their reps quoted that price, and I booked it right when the supposed supervisor confirmed the correct pricing, and now for her to make a mistake and say "tough luck" is inexcusable. And I guess it is how HAL handled the whole thing that irks me.

And to say take a cruise another time and pay to switch your flight is easier said than done, especially when I booked holidays and now may have to sit at home.

Problem was that HAL decided to let my cabin go and there are no others available, so I am stuck with the $1800. flight.

quote]

Sorry, when you said you received a confirmation the next day I assumed you made a deposit. I did not think HAL would hold cabins. I would not pay for air until I had made a deposit and had my confirmation in writing.

Problem was that HAL decided to let my cabin go

No, you decided to let your cabin go by not paying for it. As someone else said, you're now stuck with an $1800 plane ticket (which, as someone pointed out, you shouldn't have booked until you had the cruise confirmed) because of a $167 disagreement?

Sounds very penny wise/pound foolish to me.

There's an interesting 7-day on Windstar (R/T Athens) leaving on May 17, though...

I couldn't pay for the cruise unless I had the flight. I couldn't pay for the flight until I had the cruise. I had the flight on hold and a supervisor confirmed the price and said she would instantly send me the confirmation and I should go ahead and book the flight before they let it go. I guess in my upset I have not told the sequence of events correctly. I trusted her but she was delayed in sending the confirmation. I did have it sent to work so I could check it right away, but because we have limited access at work, I deleted it after I checked it, because she was sending the same confirmation to my home also and it was not my computer it was sent to at work. Once the confirmation was received, I booked the flight. The next morning I was sent not one, but two confirmations, and both were identical with the higher price. I still don't know all of what happened as of course they have given me several conflicting stories. I think maybe somehow I never had a cabin, and this is why they said that they let it go when I called in about the higher price. They knew I had the flight and didn't offer any customer service to sort out the errors so I could have the cabin. I was afraid to get on the ship and end up with no cabin or a hassle. So I asked the airline if I could cancel my flight, and while waiting for them to call me back, I couldn't very well try to find yet another cabin at an even higher price, in case they did let my flight go and give me a refund. You have to understand that during all of this time, HAL made no effort to remedy the situation, and just were defensive and said they would look into and call me back but they never did. And if they had done nothing wrong, I see no reason for 4 junior leads to tell me they were the highest level in the Customer Service department and each one declared they were the only one who was directly under the CEO, which is ridiculous. I just didn't appreciate such dishonesty and wasting my time misrepresenting who they were. And if the junior rep hadn't pretended she was senior management when she wasn't, this whole situation could have been sorted out without more errors. Sigh.

Archived