News- Victory !!!! RCCL Recalls Fuel Surcharge !!!!

My mother is taking my teenage daughter on the 46 day S American Mariner cruise. She booked and paid her deposit through a US TA on Nov 11th. The surcharge amounted to $420. I booked our first leg (Port Canaveral to Rio) through an Australian TA and it was never an issue.

The money is fantastic for my mother, but it really comes down to the principle - that's why RCI couldn't charge it retroactively in many foreign jurisdictions.

Well done to those who lobbied the AG. Living in Australia, it didn't seem like an option for us.

robtulipe - I'm in the same boat as you! I originally "booked" my cruise in 10/22/07 on the "Next Cruise Program", but didn't officially pick the actual cruise until 11/23/07. I wonder how they will handle our case?!?

I know it sounds funny, but I am serious! I booked a cruise for April ON November 16!! I don't remember what time, but my original invoice was without the fuel surcharge so I am guessing it was first thing in the morning and had not yet been announced. They added it later. Wonder what will happen in this situation?:D

Royal Caribbean has agreed to reimburse passengers for fuel surcharges that were not adequately disclosed, the Florida attorney general said. The settlement affects 300,000 bookings - the number of customers involved was not available - and will return $21 million to people who made cruise deposits as of Nov. 15.

Throwing big kisses your way -- and the way of all the rest of us who endured the battle, against all the nay sayers. I haven't posted in a bit, and was coming to tell you about the letter I got from my AG -- no matter now -- WE HAVE VICTORY!!!! My personal problem with my reservation from Nov 5th has finally been resolved -- finally got an updated invoice last Thursday -- had the fuel charge on it -- when "John" called he addressed my comment to Goldstein about the fuel charge (I just made a parenthetical about it in my long letter about the reservation mess). Guessing he knew nothing about what was afoot, then.

Will finish the rest of this thread, now, just to see if I recognize some of the names putting us down -- saw one, already, but nothing said about them going to pay it anyway, or thanking those of us who stuck by our guns for making it happen with our complaints which, of course, were "worthless."

Thank you, Jaxon. I am throwing "big kisses" back at you.Victory celebrations are great !!!! I really dont know why I am so excited as we will not be cruising again anytime soon--we have already made other vacation plans and I still have problems with how this whole fiasco was handled by RCI.I hope all of you guys enjoy your upcoming cruises and have a drink for me.

robtulipe - I'm in the same boat as you! I originally "booked" my cruise in 10/22/07 on the "Next Cruise Program", but didn't officially pick the actual cruise until 11/23/07. I wonder how they will handle our case?!?

The fuel surcharge was removed from the cruise I booked/deposited in the summer.

The fuel surcharge was not removed from the cruise I did not fully deposit (Nextcruise) on the same day that summer. I paid full deposit on it after the November 16th announcement so I think it would not be refunded.

I'm elated that the Fla atty general forced RCI to backoff on the fuel surcharge. In my business life I've always conducted myself as a "deal is a deal". Hopefully most of the time things go as planned. Since I am frequently shocked when I fill my SUV with liquid gold I'm not totally unsympathetic to RCI's plight.

However, on the way they applied the surcharge they seemed to go out of their way to antagonize customers. True, I'm only "gold scum", not platinum however I do spend money with RCI and when I emailed my complaint about the surcharge to C&A the response was. "Read your contract, we'll charge you whatever we want to whenever we want to".

That is not a strategy designed to elicit sympathy, cooperation and brand loyalty from valued customers.

Then your reservation date is 10/22/07. If you have a NextCruise reservation and even if you book 3 years later your NextCruise rservation date never changes (last day of the cruise you booked NextCruise on). How this affects your refund I don't know. Technically you should get a refund since they are talking about reservations in general.

Yee haw! :D When I saw the subject I came here to say how it was not a humorous post. I feel almost giddy & "ran" to all my Roll Calls to tell them! That's one letter I'm ever so happy about writing..to the Fl. AG. It will affect 2 of our cruises this yr & we won't have enough $$ to sail to Greece but it feels almost as good. Thx to all who did be proactive & esp. one who gave me the outline to use to write to the head honchos @ RCCL. [sorry..can't remember the name but his/her letter was posted here.] A very fair decision this time from RCCL.

:D :D :D

Hey Del,

I am so glad you took the time to write the letters and make your voice heard.It paid off !!!!i am sorry we did not get to sail with you on the Granduer.We would have loved to have met you and Jerry.Maybe another ship-some other time.Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Where are all the folks who were putting us down? They really were involved when they were calling us "whiners" or "b--ch and moaners". Also telling us all the money recovered would go to "slip-and-fall" lawyers and we would not ever recover a dime - Geesh! All we were arguing for was fairness and for RCI to observe common ethical business principles. All it took was a letter to the Florida AG, patience and perseverance.

Racalious, Thank you for caring and not just rolling over and taking it. Our efforts have had positive results. Enjoy your upcoming cruises---I will enjoy Six Flags (well actually Dollywood) !!!!!

I am right here. The grill is warming and I am preparing my bird. You guys can gloat all you like, as you deserve it. Just because people have a difference in opinions, does not mean we are all bad. I will be one of the first to admit any wrong thinking on this one. BTW where is thing2, I have a donation to make.

Curley, I thought you would show up. While we had a different opinion on the implimentation of the fuel surcharges I actually enjoyed our exchanges.At least your arguments had some substance--not just "trolling" to stir up trouble like others.

You're welcome!

Not sure why people are giving RC credit, they only removed the charges under pressure from the Attorney General; we should thank Bill McCollum.

Agreed Marci---and thanks for writing those letters and "complaining"

I have been so busy the last two months have not had time to visit the boards. While having coffee this morning I stumbled on the article. And just can not believe it........Had to hurry over here to see if everyone has heard.

It really makes me feel good to see the system work for the little guy and that sometimes it does pay to stand up. If all of us had rolled over and say "OK, charge me more money, I understand" then there would be no end to the add on's and sur charges.

I feel really great about this...but I guess it is too early for a glass of champagne......for all my fellow cc'rs who sent emails to the various places....Thank you! We did it! :D

Thank you Thing 2 for believing and standing up for what is right.It is a small victory for cruisers everywhere.Maybe RCI and Carnival Copr will learn an important lesson form this fiasco.

Jeanno.......most likely Customer Service just needs to catch up.

Congrats everyone....and thanks to those who stood up.

THANK YOU, Kidless. I know you were one of the original "complainers" and took a huge amount of abuse for standing up for your principles.Everyone getting a OBC or refund should thank this lady !!!!!!!!

I'm elated that the Fla atty general forced RCI to backoff on the fuel surcharge. In my business life I've always conducted myself as a "deal is a deal". Hopefully most of the time things go as planned. Since I am frequently shocked when I fill my SUV with liquid gold I'm not totally unsympathetic to RCI's plight.

However, on the way they applied the surcharge they seemed to go out of their way to antagonize customers. True, I'm only "gold scum", not platinum however I do spend money with RCI and when I emailed my complaint about the surcharge to C&A the response was. "Read your contract, we'll charge you whatever we want to whenever we want to".

That is not a strategy designed to elicit sympathy, cooperation and brand loyalty from valued customers.

Good post !!!!!!

I just looked at My Cruises on the rccl site and my cruise this Saturday is showing up as me owing -$80!!!! :D :D they appear to have already credited me for the fuel surcharge!

Thank you to all who stood on principal and contacted the AG!

Juli

Victory!

I hadn't posted in the forums, but I did read the threads and was one of the 300 or so that filed a complaint with the BBB and the FL Attorney General's office.

It was funny that yesterday I got an email from the BBB which stated Royal Caribbean had posted a response to my complaint and in the response it only said that they were still looking into my complaint (Royal Caribbean not the BBB).

I'm very elated about the resolution and I will have no problem booking cruises with RCL in the future.

I honestly did not care one way or the other about the surcharge but am thrilled to get it back for the cruises I booked before Nov 16th. We will get $70 OBC on our April Liberty as that was paid in full.

Then we will get the surcharge taken off our May Sovereign, our 3 cabines booked for Sovereign in Aug and our cabin on Serenade in April 09 as I had all those booked before Nove 16.

We will pay the surcharge on the 2 cruises I booked in Jan 08. But like you all have said, I knew about the surcharge and still booked, so knew I would be paying.

I was actually very surprised they rescinded it, but hey - sure won't complain about it. Now with our SH OBC, our Booking on the Ship OBC, TA OBC and the Surcharge OBC, we might actually get of the ship with a really small amount owed on our SeaPass at the end of the week.:D :D

Archived