News- Victory !!!! RCCL Recalls Fuel Surcharge !!!!

Thanks! Yes, we booked and paid our deposit before November. We've already cruised, so we should be getting our $70 credited to our credit card. Has anyone received their refund yet?

Rhonda, if you have booked, paid in full and taken the cruise, the money will be refunded to your credit card. I suspect it's taking a little time to get to everyone who needs a refund or OBC....

Fran in Toronto

Now that Carnival has toed the line, I just wanted to say thanks to all the RCCL passengers who called or emailed the Florida Attorney General to complain about the way the fuel surcharge was implemented. In his press release, the AG specifically mentioned the 100's of complaints he received as a factor in his decision to intervene.

Way to go, folks! :D :cool:

That's fantastic, snorkel! Congratulations! I hadn't heard, been fussing with our email carrier being bought out and things are a mess switching over, so haven't been around for a few days. I had read this news story that the former AG, Christ, now Gov., had given them permission to do it! Was going to post that on the Carnival board, but then this switching thing happened. Now, I am off to look for a news release. Good work, buddy!

I have a cruise coming up the end of April. It was my understanding that since we have not taken the cruise yet, we would get the refund as OBC. That was fine and dandy with me. However, just today I happened to look at my Visa bill,online, and the $70 was credited to my Visa. So go figgure.

I'm just happy it was refunded.

Our fuel surcharge for our upcoming April cruise was refunded to our credit card as well. :confused: I was expecting OBC as had been indicated. That is fine though. :D

Thanks! Yes, we booked and paid our deposit before November. We've already cruised, so we should be getting our $70 credited to our credit card. Has anyone received their refund yet?

I haven't received my $110. refund from the Feb 2008 Cruise I completed and paid the FS for. I check my Credit card daily and Nope not there yet!

We're also still waiting for a refund to our credit card for Feb 2008 cruise .

• 2 weeks later...

Just got our cc bill and was refunded 40.00 from rccl,have no idea why. I'm wondering if it's from our Sovereign cruise we took in Feb.Then we got a new invoice form our TA and the surcharge for our cruise in Nov is taken off!!!!

Does anyone know if the credit would apply to me. I booked the cruise before Nov. 2007 but I had to change my cruise to a different ship and date. They charged me the fuel charge, since I orignal booked but changed should I get the credit? Have not paid in full yet for the cruise.

Has anyone else noticed a marked increase in taxes and fees? I have a cruise booked for Feb 2009. When I booked it, early November, the taxes and fees were 97.98 for 2, in an E1 cabin. Since this is to be a family cruise, and others are starting to book, I checked tonight. The taxes and fees are now 174+ for 2 in that cabin.

Something seems very wrong here -- same itinerary -- how can taxes and fees go up so drastically in a couple of months? I do recall someone else making note of this or something similar, but the search function is down so I couldn't search it.

BTW, although my online invoice total would indicate the fuel surcharge was removed, I have not received an updated invoice from them -- has anyone else? Maybe they are just relying on removing it from the on-line total, but I like itemization.

Has anyone else noticed a marked increase in taxes and fees? I have a cruise booked for Feb 2009. When I booked it, early November, the taxes and fees were 97.98 for 2, in an E1 cabin. Since this is to be a family cruise, and others are starting to book, I checked tonight. The taxes and fees are now 174+ for 2 in that cabin.
That's because they didn't exactly recall the fuel charge. They've just hidden it somewhere else. I figured all stateroom prices would rise by at least a few bucks per day but sticking it in fees/taxes works too. :rolleyes: LOL

That's because they didn't exactly recall the fuel charge. They've just hidden it somewhere else. I figured all stateroom prices would rise by at least a few bucks per day but sticking it in fees/taxes works too. :rolleyes: LOL

Well, no, it can't work that way because it would invite another round with the AG. If the taxes and fees did not go up, they cannot charge more. They are only allowed to pass through the actual cost, and, now a fuel supplement.

Shoot -- I guess I will have to call them for an explanation. I was hoping someone might have some insight. I really hate to bother the AG again, but clearly, if there isn't a legitimate answer, he needs to know.

Does anyone know if the credit would apply to me. I booked the cruise before Nov. 2007 but I had to change my cruise to a different ship and date. They charged me the fuel charge, since I orignal booked but changed should I get the credit? Have not paid in full yet for the cruise.

If you kept the same booking number, you should still get the fuel surcharge "refunded"!

Well, no, it can't work that way because it would invite another round with the AG. If the taxes and fees did not go up, they cannot charge more. They are only allowed to pass through the actual cost, and, now a fuel supplement.

Shoot -- I guess I will have to call them for an explanation. I was hoping someone might have some insight. I really hate to bother the AG again, but clearly, if there isn't a legitimate answer, he needs to know.

I did notice that when I booked next year's cruise, which is the same ship and itinerary that I did this year, the non-commissionable taxes and fees were much higher.

Also, I just got my credit card statement yesterday and I still do not have a refund for the fuel surcharge yet. Maybe RCI wants to make a bit more interest on the money. They set strict deadlines that you have to make your payments by but they seem just a bit more lax in making this refund.

• 2 weeks later...

We just transferred our booking to a 12/2009 date & itinerary. Even though we booked prior to the implementation date, the fuel surcharge is showing on my invoice. I had a feeling it would, and I can't really argue with it. I was just curious if it would happen or not. We got a great price on the cruise - so I am not complaining at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived