NJ Hotel and Cab Help Needed

Zigster

We are cruising for the first time out of Bayonne and I'm not familiar with the area at all. We have a reservation at the Courtyard Marriott in Elizabeth. It's on Glimcher Realty Way. My questions are: Does anyone know of this hotel and what are you feelings about it? Any idea on what the cab fare would be? Any suggestions on hotel, etc. would be a tremendous help. Thanks everyone!

We are cruising for the first time out of Bayonne and I'm not familiar with the area at all. We have a reservation at the Courtyard Marriott in Elizabeth. It's on Glimcher Realty Way. My questions are: Does anyone know of this hotel and what are you feelings about it? Any idea on what the cab fare would be? Any suggestions on hotel, etc. would be a tremendous help. Thanks everyone!

Cab will be about $30-40.00 to the port. Hotel is standard Courtyard.

I've stayed at Best Western, 101 international Way, Newark New Jersey 973 621 6200. You can stay one night and leave your car parked there during the cruise (free) and when I stayed there, they offered free shuttle service to the ship.

Hope that helps

J

I've stayed at Best Western, 101 international Way, Newark New Jersey 973 621 6200. You can stay one night and leave your car parked there during the cruise (free) and when I stayed there, they offered free shuttle service to the ship.

Hope that helps

J

I really doubt the OP is driving from Georgia????

And the Best Western is HORRIBLE-dingy, dangerous area and hookers and drug dealers outside.

Your right, we're not driving. Would take the fun out of the cruise. We're really looking for a hotel that is safe. Normally cruise out of Fort Lauderdale so we know where the better hotels are. We're really at a loss with NJ. Any suggestions??? Appreciate the input so far.

Patty

Your right, we're not driving. Would take the fun out of the cruise. We're really looking for a hotel that is safe. Normally cruise out of Fort Lauderdale so we know where the better hotels are. We're really at a loss with NJ. Any suggestions??? Appreciate the input so far.

Patty

You will be fine at the Courtyard. It is by the Mall, where there are places to eat.

It is the hotels around EWR (not at the airport proper) that are so sleazy, dark and dirty. There is an Days Inn, Best Western, Ramada, a couple of others OFF the airport proper that leave a lot to be desired. Not so much that the hotels themselves are so horribly bad, although most are older properties and look it. But the neighborhood directly outside the airport is one that attracts hookers, drug dealers, thieves and muggers. And there is NO PLACE to eat except at the hotel (if there is a restaurant) without driving. Walking around is NOT safe.

We are cruise from Barcelona to Bayonne and I've made a discovery!! YOU CAN NOT GET HERE FROM THERE!!!!!!! The hassle of flying one way to Boston from Neward is unbelievable .. over $300.00 per person one way.. Then talk about getting to La Guardia and that's not much better.. Originally we thought about renting a car to get back to MA. At th is point..we are leaving the driving to somebody else.. the cruise bus. which we will probably be on six hours to Boston and then another hour to our home by the local service.. Trust me.. I'll never cruise into Bayonne... oh yes.. we are flying to Barcelona and then cruising trans-atlantic.. BTW how did you get your name. Vic. the Parrot?

Fine hotel...stay there often...leave the car too...cab is 40 bucks....

there is an outlet mall across the street www.jerseygardens.com , an Ikea nearby and a ruby tuesday in the parking lot....

the BW is a dump!

(also, next to the CY are a Country Inn & Suites and a residence inn. The Country and RI have free breakfast included...the Courtyard has it available, and SOMETIMES there are rates that include it....

this area is MUCH safer and less annoying to drive around than the hotels on Rte 1 & 9! Trust me...i have driven in NJ all my life and i HATE the airport hotels.....(the full serivce marriott is OK though but bad if you drive since parking is NOT free!)

also on Glimcher Realty way is an extended stay america. No shuttle from the Airport...and a little to much like "camping" for me (i.e. No tissues or shampoo!) but it can be cheaper....you;d have to walk over to the courtyard and buy breakfast though!

we are booked at either the CY or RI for our next 2 cruises....(i check the rates often and whenever they drop a few bucks i cancel and rebook...so this week, i think i am booked at the CY)

hth

FYI:

Elizabeth isn't exactly Shangri-La either, but an improvement over Newark.

It's prudent to exercise caution in Elizabeth as well.

yes, but the Courtyard< Res Inn and Country Inn are not in downtown elizabeth....they are safe....just dont do stupid stuff like leave valuables in the car!

Thanks to everyone's help, we're going to stick with Courtyard. They have the airport shuttle, plus the mall across the way is a plus. We're not big breakfast eaters so I'm certain we'll be able to just grab a quick bite somewhere! Cruising out of Florida is so much easier, probably just because that's what we always do. However did cruise out of NY quite a few times on the Zenith and it's absolutely spectacular - can't wait for this sailaway!

Meg - Like you, I'm always checking the hotel rates (and airfares) once I book, just got a better rate last night. I think I missed my calling - would have loved to have been a TA.:)

We are cruise from Barcelona to Bayonne and I've made a discovery!! YOU CAN NOT GET HERE FROM THERE!!!!!!! The hassle of flying one way to Boston from Neward is unbelievable .. over $300.00 per person one way.. Then talk about getting to La Guardia and that's not much better.. Originally we thought about renting a car to get back to MA. At th is point..we are leaving the driving to somebody else.. the cruise bus. which we will probably be on six hours to Boston and then another hour to our home by the local service.. Trust me.. I'll never cruise into Bayonne...

You should look into taking Amtrak's Acela Express train from Newark to Boston, you can at least walk around and stretch your legs, much less cramped than the bus.

By the way, the Spanish Tavern in Newark offers a free shuttle Mondays-Fridays that will pick up from an EWR area hotel and return you.

Check with the courtyard as well - they might even have shuttle service to the pier...

they don't....:(

and...the Country Inn has info on their site about the park n cruise, but each time i try to book it , i get an error...so i think you have to call the hotel directly (not the toll free #)...and from what i have read on the boards, not all the people there are aware of this!!

happy hunting.

Country Inns and Suites has a park and cruise deal too and they are right with the CY and RI.

http://www.countryinns.com/offers/1955632/chi

we are leaving from nyc and planned on staying in city night before. anyone know of any hotels in nj that are close(not to far) to nyc pier and offer similar deal as above. any and all help would be appreciated

we are leaving from nyc and planned on staying in city night before. anyone know of any hotels in nj that are close(not to far) to nyc pier and offer similar deal as above. any and all help would be appreciated

No shuttles from NJ hotels to NYC piers that I am aware of. There are quite a few hotels around Secaucus/Meadowlands that have park and stay packages (NO shuttles to ANY pier), but all things considered, it will be about as cheap and much less hassle staying in the City, then just parking at the pier.

Otherwise, If I understand you correctly, you would stay in NYC for one night, THEN drive to NJ, pay for a hotel just to get park and stay, then find transport (with luggage) to the NYC pier from NJ. Forget it

and...the Country Inn has info on their site about the park n cruise, but each time i try to book it , i get an error...so i think you have to call the hotel directly (not the toll free #)...and from what i have read on the boards, not all the people there are aware of this!!

Meg, I keep checking with the hotel to book this and was told rates will be available in July for January so you may get lucky in August for February. I think they are testing to see how well it works out before they offer it so far in advance. I sure hope it works, I looked at the location of the hotels a couple of months ago and its a good area. Right now its $189 for the package.

I am sailing out of Bayonne on April 11 on EOS (9 night cruise) and just booked one night at the Country Inn & Suites. The rate I got was $185 and included the one night stay, Deluxe Continental Breakfast buffet, transfers to / from the dock and 8 nights of parking. The extra night of parking will cost $15 and tax is additional. Since I am driving up from Richmond, VA. this was not much more than the cost of parking at the dock, so I am hoping to get a good nights rest before the cruise. :)

No shuttles from NJ hotels to NYC piers that I am aware of. There are quite a few hotels around Secaucus/Meadowlands that have park and stay packages (NO shuttles to ANY pier), but all things considered, it will be about as cheap and much less hassle staying in the City, then just parking at the pier.

Otherwise, If I understand you correctly, you would stay in NYC for one night, THEN drive to NJ, pay for a hotel just to get park and stay, then find transport (with luggage) to the NYC pier from NJ. Forget it

we would like to stay in the city but if we can find a hotel in nj that has packages we will stay overnight at that hotel .

We are cruise from Barcelona to Bayonne and I've made a discovery!! YOU CAN NOT GET HERE FROM THERE!!!!!!! The hassle of flying one way to Boston from Neward is unbelievable .. over $300.00 per person one way.. Then talk about getting to La Guardia and that's not much better.. Originally we thought about renting a car to get back to MA. At th is point..we are leaving the driving to somebody else.. the cruise bus. which we will probably be on six hours to Boston and then another hour to our home by the local service.. Trust me.. I'll never cruise into Bayonne... oh yes.. we are flying to Barcelona and then cruising trans-atlantic.. BTW how did you get your name. Vic. the Parrot?

On what ship?

I recently stayed at the Spring Hill Suites with my family, the hotel is only about 3 years old and the rooms are nice with great queen beds. Breakfast is included and I think there is a pool with whirlpool. Dining options are very limited here to pizza/chinese although if you are staying during the week, the Spanish Tavern will send a van to pick you up.

I recently stayed at the Spring Hill Suites with my family, the hotel is only about 3 years old and the rooms are nice with great queen beds. Breakfast is included and I think there is a pool with whirlpool. Dining options are very limited here to pizza/chinese although if you are staying during the week, the Spanish Tavern will send a van to pick you up.

Thanks for the info. We will have our car and will be out touring during the day, so I am not too worried about what is close. I love the waffles that Marriott brand breakfasts have.:)

Archived