We need a less scary cab ride to a beach

cherylscruises

Hello,

My adult daughter and I will get to spend a day in St. Thomas next month. We know we just want to spend some time on a beach then do a little shopping before getting back onboard. However, seems like all Im hearing is that those cab rides leading to any nice beaches are all scary uphill rides on narrow mountain roads. Anyone know of a beach we could visit w/out such a ride? Would that Marriot resort be a good option?

Hello,

My adult daughter and I will get to spend a day in St. Thomas next month. We know we just want to spend some time on a beach then do a little shopping before getting back onboard. However, seems like all Im hearing is that those cab rides leading to any nice beaches are all scary uphill rides on narrow mountain roads. Anyone know of a beach we could visit w/out such a ride? Would that Marriot resort be a good option?

St. Thomas is a mountainous island that's 14 miles from east to west, and 3 miles north to south. Because of the terrain and it's size chances are that you will be on a winding narrow road to get to many places...

We set up a group tour through Sonny Liston last year. I think it cost us $25.00 per person. Some sightseeing,shopping and then sapphire beach. Another tour company that is good is Godfreys.

All the roads there are narrow and curvy like others have stated but dont let it scare you out of fun. If you want to shop and a beach try Godfrey's tours he will also take you to moutain top best bannanna daiquers mmmmmmm check out his webpage 25$ for the package and he say's he never has had a wreck.;)

Hello,

There is a ferry that leaves near where you disembark that goes to St. Johns. A wonderful change from St. Thomas and you can walk to a beach or take a slow cab to other beaches. I used to live on St. Thomas and work in St. Johns... took the ferry everyday from Red Hook (other end of the island) and the two islands are different - St. Thomas is slow and St. Johns is back up!

If your ship has a trip to Jost Van Dyke take it - wonderful island with no roads, but great beaches and plenty of rum to drink.

Cheryl, while you are on that wild and crazy ride to the beach in St. Thomas, just humor yourself with the realization that many people pay big bucks to get the same thrill on one of the mega-roller coasters in theme parks these days.:D

Dianne

The roads are curvy and up hills, but you get breathtaking views of Charlotte Amalie and the ships. Consider it a perk. It's not scary unless you're the one doing the driving. These guys aren't just zipping around the corners on 2 wheels, you know. They want to protect their skins, too.

I dont remember Megan's beach being a scary ride, but I guess I must be braver than I thought, we went on to Coki, but the cab stopped first At Megan's beach.

Takes a lot to scare me.

As I remember, our scariest cab ride in St. Thomas had nothing to do with going to a beach but all about taking a cab from the pier to the downtown shopping district.:D

That was truly a wild ride and full of quick break stops and taking back, very narrow streets. Loved every minute of it.:)

Dianne

I had exactly the same feeling after going to Megan's Bay so the next trip we went to Lindbergh Beach which does not entail a mountain ride. Lindbergh (formerly Emerald Beach) is lovely; there is a Best Western Hotel there so take the taxi to there. Pictures of the Beach in the link below. Wonderful beach - nice swimming - food & drinks available at the Best Western.

Kathy:)

Honestly, it's not that bad. If you are talking to your daughter or the cab driver, you probably won't even noctice it. Amazingly, these folks have way fewer wrecks than Americans (two years in Grenada and my brother only saw 1 fender-bender...and trust me, it's very curvy and mountainous there). Don't let a cab ride prevent you from having fun...it's really not as dramatic as most people decribe (especially if you have driven in mountains here in America).

Dratz!! I was afraid of that! Oh well, thanks guys!!

On the way to Cokki Beach we were in a taxi van so the ride didn't really bother us but on the way home we were in one of those open air bus/trucks kinda thing. That ride was interesting :eek: to say the least. I'd try to get inside a taxi if possible to minimize how much you see while they are negotiating and blowing their horns throught the various interestions lol

Honestly, it's not that bad. If you are talking to your daughter or the cab driver, you probably won't even noctice it. Amazingly, these folks have way fewer wrecks than Americans.

They are Americans! That's the reason it is the USVI - United States Virgin Islands. It is a territory of the USA

As I remember, our scariest cab ride in St. Thomas had nothing to do with going to a beach but all about taking a cab from the pier to the downtown shopping district.:D

That was truly a wild ride and full of quick break stops and taking back, very narrow streets. Loved every minute of it.:)

Dianne

We went up to Mountain Top on our ship excursion before we went to the beach. Mountain Top is the highest point and we were in one of those vehicles that is open on the side up and around to the top of the mountain....maybe thats why I didnt think the cab ride to the beach was scary in the least.

I had exactly the same feeling after going to Megan's Bay so the next trip we went to Lindbergh Beach which does not entail a mountain ride. Lindbergh (formerly Emerald Beach) is lovely; there is a Best Western Hotel there so take the taxi to there. Pictures of the Beach in the link below. Wonderful beach - nice swimming - food & drinks available at the Best Western.

How far is or should I say how long is the ride from the port to Lindbergh beach? I loved looking at your pictures and that lizard on the beach lol I'm assuming there's restrooms and food/drink options at this beach? Thanks for any input :)

Bobsfamily...yes your are right, the USVI inhabitants are Americans. (I should have stated "than Americans who live and drive within the continental US.) I was referring to the Grenadians who are definitely NOT Americans...just ask them! (And just so you know, the majority of native islanders in the Carribean have never even been to the continental US.) I'll be sure to be more specific next time...

How far is or should I say how long is the ride from the port to Lindbergh beach? I loved looking at your pictures and that lizard on the beach lol I'm assuming there's restrooms and food/drink options at this beach? Thanks for any input :)

I think it was about a 15 - 20 minute taxi ride. There are very clean restrooms and food/drink options at the Best Western. You could probably pull up the Best Western website for St. Thomas and see their facility. It is close to the airport so you will hear/see planes from the beach. The ride back into town was a little slow because of traffic so allow a good amount of time (I think it took about 35 minutes).

The lizard apparently is like a mascot at the bar.

They are Americans! That's the reason it is the USVI - United States Virgin Islands. It is a territory of the USA

Thank you for your reminder to the members of this board regarding US territories. Can't tell you how many times I've read posts by members who consider Puerto Ricans as foreigners.

I live in Ohio and have to remind myself at times on ships that pax with accents from Texas, New York, Mississippi and Minnesota are also Americans as well.;)

Dianne

Bobsfamily...yes your are right, the USVI inhabitants are Americans. (I should have stated "than Americans who live and drive within the continental US.) I was referring to the Grenadians who are definitely NOT Americans...just ask them! (And just so you know, the majority of native islanders in the Carribean have never even been to the continental US.) I'll be sure to be more specific next time...

No problem - I used to live there and the "natives" are very quick to point out that they are Americans - with the BVI's right next door. Speaking of natives did you know there is one part of the island most tourist never see? It's called the Nord side or the Frenchie side and as you can guess most of the inhabitants are of french and/or scottish/irish descent. They are very close-knit and do not open up easily. While I was living there I met a few and got kinda adopted. Great place and quiet all the time. Several beaches that you never see a tourist at. They can party!

Just a thought, when we were there we rented a car across from the pier - $35 for the day. We drove to the beach all morning, came back to the ship for lunch, then went to the highest point and drove around - banana daiquari's. The traffic there was easier than driving in large cities here. Just have to stay on the correct side of the road.

Archived