Bathing suit to Alaska?? Should I bother to pack one?

needalatte74

We were on the Island Princess last summer for the Alaska cruise and it had both outdoor and indoor pools. It was very warm and pleasant at all times in the area with the indoor pool. I would say take the swimsuit. You might find a few minutes to use it when you don't have anything to see along the route. Of course that won't be a lot of the time. But the area around the indoor pool does provide a good viewing area.

One of my fondest memories aboard ship on my Alaska cruise was sitting in the hot tub at midnight, sipping a drink and looking at the stars. While I prefer hot tubbing naked, I did obey the rules and wore a swimsuit. So, yes, bring one.

Our on Alaska cruise (end of July) it was hot most days. (high to low 80's) We did swim a lot and enjoyed being in the pool as we sailed by snow covered mountains. Also the pools were heated on our ship. We just didn't hang around the pool in wet bathing suits after our swim.

If the ship has a covered pool, I would definitely bring a bathing suit. You can use that pool regardless of the outside temperature. As others have noted, the weather can be quite variable in Alaska and if you encounter temperatures in the 80s, you can also comfortably swim in the outside pool.

For other activities just remember to dress in layers and you will be ready for any weather conditions you might encounter. Alaska is not always the frigid North. I can recall sitting outside in Anchorage in shortsleeves at 11pm in early June and being more than comfortable.:)

Although the weather was only in the 60s when we were in Alaska in June, we did use the covered pool onboard. It was really cool sitting in the hottub, or pool watching the glaciers go by. i would take the suit.

Sailing in July, I would take one, sailing in May or early June, no.

Why not? Vancouver/Seattle will be much warmer than Anchorage. It could be unseasonable warm. AND there are always the covered/inside pools and hot tubs available.

Why not? Vancouver/Seattle will be much warmer than Anchorage. It could be unseasonable warm. AND there are always the covered/inside pools and hot tubs available.

yes, it could be unseasonably warm, I was just saying, I wouldn't take one in May. We have done Alaska in May. In fact the cruise was so port intensive we wouldn't have had much time except day one to think about laying out anyway. Of course don't take up much room. For those who can't imagine a vacation without laying out it probably doesn't matter what time of the year or where you are cruisng.

Nita

We sailed in May and actually sat out in the outdoor jacuzzi during a very warm day in Juneau, not to mention all the time spent in the covered pool area. Loved every minute of it!!!!

Have a great time.

Tammy

Archived