Just starting my planning for Alaska cruise

BillyMetz

To my fellow Cruise Critic posters, I am looking for some where to begin info. It is that time again for my cruise group to start planning our next exciting cruise. This time it is going to be Alaska. I have no doubt the questions I am going to ask are already answered some place on cruise critic but if you do not mind I would appreciate your help. I have scrolled back several pages and found bits and pieces. I have just a few basic questions I need answered to get started. There is so much information out there it would help to narrow down my focus.

Which is the best line? I get the feeling Princess and Holland America are favored.

Do you prefer the one way Northbound/Southbound or a round trip from Seattle/Vancouver?

This is a big question. Is it possible to have a before or after land based portion of cruise vacation as an option? What I mean is I know on Alaska cruises there is the option of doing land based portions of the trip before or after the cruise. Can people booking the same cruise elect to either add the land based portion or just start/end with the cruise portion. As I put my group together some may want to add the land portion and some may because of time and money jsut want to do the cruise. I do not know if everyone on the cruise has to have the same itinerary.

Are you planning for 2008 or 2009? If 2008, you're getting a late start.

Holland America and Princess have the most ships in Alaska (8 each) and have been there the longest. They also have extensive cruisetour packages either before or after their cruises - which you are under no obligation to book. I think the majority of posters on this board would recommend doing a land trip independently - either with a rental car or an RV. That's what we did last June, after our northbound cruise on the Coral Princess: 9-day land trip with a rental car. I liked it so much I'm doing it again in 2008. :)

Here's some general Alaska info from Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/area.cfm?area=1

Not really sure of your question??? but if looking at the option to tour interior Alaska or not. Then certainly an option. Those who do, add time- at least 5+++ days in my recommendation, those who want cruise only- Just arrive the day before and everyone meets up on the ship. Everyone would HAVE to be on a one way cruise, with higher airfare costs, booking open jaw.

If you are going to be the "leader", I suggest you head to your library and take out Alaska travel books. Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska and Alaska by Cruiseship at the min.

There is a LOT to know about Alaska which is necessary in any group planning.

My husband and I are going on NB HAL cruise this summer. We are following with an independent land tour. Three others are traveling with us. They will depart in Seward and head to the airport to fly home. We will stay in Seward for two days (one overnight) and then move on to Anchorage for two nights, Talkeetna for one night and Denali for three nights. Then we head back for one more day in Anchorage before heading home. This is working out well for us. My sister likes the idea of traveling from home with us to Vancouver and spending a couple of days there first. She and the others travelling with us will take a ship transfer to the airport.

One thing about HAL. Initially they seem to hold their balconies for their cruisetour passengers. If you have anyone travelling with you who definitely wants a balcony, but is not doing a HAL cruisetour, they may be disappointed to find this out. However, there are some who claim you can book the cruisetour and then when final payment is due, cancel the land tour part and you will be able to keep your balcony room. (I am not speaking from experience, only from what I have read.) However, I will say that my cruise is on June 15 of this year. There were initially no balconies available. Last week they opened them up in almost all categories. I noticed that today, there is only one category left. So they did get booked quickly. You can go on a waitlist for a balcony.

After reading these boards we came to the same conclusion you did: HAL or Princess. My husband had many friends who had cruised HAL and were happy, so he was pushing for HAL. I was leaning a bit toward Princess, but then when I realized all that Seward had to offer, I was happy to agree to go with HAL.

I started my reading last Spring/Summer and haven't stopped. Even with my trip basically planned, I am still tweaking here and there. Good luck!!! Happy Planning!!

Archived