Tipping for the room service at breakfast

arikson

You can just write in the tip amount on the ticket they give you to sign. $1 - $2 or what ever you want to tip. :)

We have this set up so they come every morning around the same time with the same stuff that way I don't have to remember to fill out the little card. Fill it out 1 time and be done with it for the cruise. They are really good about it and I use that for my wake up call so I don't have to look for the clock.:D

You can just write in the tip amount on the ticket they give you to sign. $1 - $2 or what ever you want to tip. :)

I don't know about RCL, Carnival or NCL, but on HAL, Princess, X, Cunard and Seabourn, there is no "ticket" to sign. I'm curious why there would ever be a ticket. Breakfast service in cabin is free-no extra charge.

For a complete breakfast on one or two trays, we hand the waiter$5.00. For items on the room service menu or drinks in cabin, $1-2 should be sufficient.

I don't know about RCL, Carnival or NCL, but on HAL, Princess, X, Cunard and Seabourn, there is no "ticket" to sign. I'm curious why there would ever be a ticket. Breakfast service in cabin is free-no extra charge.

For a complete breakfast on one or two trays, we hand the waiter$5.00. For items on the room service menu or drinks in cabin, $1-2 should be sufficient.

On the Princess & Carnival trips we took last year we had tickets to sign to prove we got something delivered. I realize that it is free but maybe thats their way of getting a tip. :cool:

Tip according to how much they have to carry! Coffee and danish--$2.00 A full meal for 2--$5.00-8.00!

The more I tipped for room service was 5$ for 2 people but it's a personnal decision. When I'm alone, it's usually 2$.

Tip according to how much they have to carry! Coffee and danish--$2.00 A full meal for 2--$5.00-8.00!

The more I tipped for room service breakfast was 5$ for 2 people. When I'm alone, it's usually 2$. As you can see, it's a personnal decision but you definitely need to tip since I heard they are not paid for this job, they take this duty on their off hours to get the tips.

We have this set up so they come every morning around the same time with the same stuff that way I don't have to remember to fill out the little card. Fill it out 1 time and be done with it for the cruise. They are really good about it and I use that for my wake up call so I don't have to look for the clock.:D

Room service is free-no charge-so you tip in dollars.

My guess is you have only ordered alcoholic drinks-now there is a charge for that.

On Princess ship they have you sign the back of the room service ticket noting the time of delivery and a place for a tip. For the continental breakfast we usually tip a $1 per person and more if we have ordered more.

There is no way on any HAL slip to add a tip......not on a bar tab, not a wine purchase in the dining room, not for room service. Aside from the automatic service charge applied to everyone's shipboard account, all tipping on HAL is done in cash. We always bring an envelope full of ones and fives for day to day tipping and DH has larger bills for tipping additional at the end of our cruises for those who gave us really excellent, above and beyond service.

Have the money ready when they come as they stewards do not linger hedging and hawing and waiting for a tip. They deliver, set it up and head for the door. We always have cash ready give them.

Room service is free-no charge-so you tip in dollars.

My guess is you have only ordered alcoholic drinks-now there is a charge for that.

Nope on ordering alcohalic drinks...we make those ourselves in the room. ;)

Anytime we have had anything delivered to the room: room service, breakfast, dry cleaning we have had to sign a ticket. Just like when you order something from your lounge chair by the pool...when they deliver it, I've had to sign each time for it.:rolleyes: I actually like it better than scrambling for some singles or opening the safe. But thats my opinion.

The only thing that shows up on my S&S bill from things delivered to the room is the tip I've left for them.:)

Nope on ordering alcohalic drinks...we make those ourselves in the room. ;)

Anytime we have had anything delivered to the room: room service, breakfast, dry cleaning we have had to sign a ticket. Just like when you order something from your lounge chair by the pool...when they deliver it, I've had to sign each time for it.:rolleyes: I actually like it better than scrambling for some singles or opening the safe. But thats my opinion.

The only thing that shows up on my S&S bill from things delivered to the room is the tip I've left for them.:)

I haven't unless I ordered a drink. We usually only order coffee and we give the guy $2. I enjoy going to the dinningroomfor breakfast.

Now for clothes being cleaned YES-they charge for that and yes we sign a slip.

What is on the typical room service menu as I read it is limited choices. Anyone have snapshots of menu:confused: :confused: :confused:

This may not be typical - I've heard that HAL's menu is larger than most (it's from last March, but it appears to be the same as I saw in January):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php?t-527819.html

During the first hour of dinner, you can also order from the dining room menu to be served in your cabin.

Most cruise line now ask pax (passengers) to use an automatic tip process for stewards and waiters. Unfortunately, the people who bring “Continental” breakfast or room service are not included.

These workers, like the waiters and stewards, are paid a few dollars a day (minimum wage laws do not apply), room and board. They DEPEND on tip money for their living.

That being said $2-$3 per delivery is a rule of thumb. In planning a cruise, we take around $40 in one dollar bills. From the expression I get from the service people, I think they get stiffed most of the time.

While 15% was added to our bill in the piano bar (Westerdam), there was also a place to add a tip..and that went on our account. There was also a place to add a tip in the specialty dining room. Room service on HAL we just gave cash.

There is no way on any HAL slip to add a tip......not on a bar tab, not a wine purchase in the dining room, not for room service. Aside from the automatic service charge applied to everyone's shipboard account, all tipping on HAL is done in cash.

It really varies by cruise line on some of the answers. Both Cunard and Princess say that the room service people are included in the daily auto service charge. I still leave a few dollars extra when its a fair amount and a dollar or two for just coffee. Room service menus vary by cruise line with RC allowing you to order off the dining room menu when its open(although some people have said they have stopped this). Other cruise lines also allow you to order from an expanded menu depending on the type of room you are in. There are probably as many varied answers as there are cruise lines.

Archived