Trips through RC, What do you think?

max44

Im having trouble deciding on a trip for the port of Jamacia, So im thinking about going with one through RC. Please if youve done any of these let me know what you think.........

Shaw Park Beach - Dunn's River Falls - Lunch

Dolphin Encounter - DRF's

Doulphin Touch - DRF's - Beach

Fern Gully - Shaw Park Beach - DRF's

Any info would be great, Thanks

Never been to Jamaica but I also asked this question a while back. Almost everyone responded that it would be best to book through the ship in this particular situation. Everyone who did book through the ship said they had a great time. Hope you do too!:D

It is very easy to do a trip to Dunn's River Falls on your own and much less expensive than doing it through the ship. When you walk off the pier there is a company called Juta Tours that will have mini buses there. When we went it was $15.00 (I think I remember that correctly) per person which included round trip transportation to the Falls and admission fee to the park. It was very easy and very safe and they gave us about 2 hrs. to spend there which was plenty of time.

We did the Falls in the morning, went back to the ship for lunch, and then spent the aftrernoon at Island Village which is a short walk from the cruise ship terminal.

Are you docking in Montego Bay or in Ocho Rios? The answers you receive will be different for each.

In Ocho Rios, I wouldn't hesitate to book a private excursion with any of the tour guides recommended on the Jamaica ports of call board. We went with Marva Shaw last year, and the experience was outstanding.

In Montego Bay, I haven't seen any sterling recommendations for private tour guides, so I'd stick with a ship's excursion. Truthfully though, I'd consider not getting off the ship at all in this port.

In either case, I don't think I'd venture off on my own.

Im having trouble deciding on a trip for the port of Jamacia, So im thinking about going with one through RC. Please if youve done any of these let me know what you think.........

Shaw Park Beach - Dunn's River Falls - Lunch

Dolphin Encounter - DRF's

Doulphin Touch - DRF's - Beach

Fern Gully - Shaw Park Beach - DRF's

Any info would be great, Thanks

We were there last year and took a local tour operator and had a great time. His name is Phil Layfayette. He operates fairly new and comfortable vehicles, keeps the tour very light hearted and should be able to accomodate whatever your needs are. We booked with him prior to our cruise and he picked us up at the dock.

on your own in Ocho Rios. For Montego Bay, we were just going to stay onboard, but ran across a post somewhere for a day pass at one of the resorts right there in Montego Bay. It was something like $60 per person and it turned out to be wonderful. It was all-inclusive and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone. If anyone is interested, I can look back in my files for the name of the place.

Peter

Personally, in Jamaica, I'd do the ship's excursion! Jamaica is kind of an "iffy" place--there seems to be some sort of security in staying with the ship's recommendations!

I totally agree! About three years ago we were in Ocho Rios with a large group, and one couple decided that they wanted to take a walk and see the countryside (not heading INTO town, but away from it).They are great walkers, so it was definitely in character for them! A policeman stopped them and told them that walking down toward Dunn's River Falls was NOT a good idea!! I've also heard from people who did a cab tour, and when they got out to where they were going, the cab driver demanded more money to take them back to the ship!

We've done excursions there on our own, AND with the ship. It does feel more secure with the ship!

I've read many threads about being safe in Jamaica, we did a tour with RCI and everything was fine.

You will encounter local's asking for money and beggers and you probably will be offered a "smoke".

We left all valuables on the ship and enjoyed the day we walked to the shops and were fine.

Although I have heard stories about passengers being robbed of expensive items.

Pity that search is down because you will get loads of advice from searching the port:D

Thanks for some good ideas, We certainly want to do the falls trip, but im thinking what to do with our bag's if we take a taxi there, do they have any lockers anywere at the fall's?

In Ochos Rios do your own tour. There are many good operators such as Marva was mentioned and I did Yardie Tours. They are all reliable. You can even leave your stuff in their tour vans and buses.

Even the shuttles/cabs you can catch at the pier are extremely reliable.

Those people know that their livelyhood is on the line with a bad rap.

Beggers you find everywhere, even in south Florida. Bad areas you find everywhere. If you stick with your tour operator/shuttle driver/cab driver you be safe.

Archived