Elbow Beach Facilities

FishTech

I was hoping to get in a shore snorkel to the wreck of the Pollockshields while on the island. I have a pretty tight schedule & am looking at a late afternoon trip. I have been told that Blue Water Divers will close on the day I have available before the snorkel is complete, so I wanted to see if there are any other facilities (changing room/showers) that would be available to the public on Elbow Beach in April?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I am so glad I read this.

I was under the impression I could get onto Elbow Beach via public entrance and rent umbrellas and chairs.

I was also under the impression that I could go to the hotel and order food and drink (while in our bathing suit coverups).

I thought there were bathrooms (even for the public).

Please let me know if I am wrong.

I am docking at St. George and just googled St. Catherines and the beach doesn't look too nice. I understand I am too far from Horseshoe and that is fine since I have been there before.

I want a not too crowded beach (although I am going in July so I am sure I will be with the summer crowds), bathrooms, chairs and umbrellas along with being able to order food/drink.

Going with kids that are 14 and 10 but they don't need beach "toys".

Thank you.

Oh, I am so glad I read this.

I was under the impression I could get onto Elbow Beach via public entrance and rent umbrellas and chairs.

I was also under the impression that I could go to the hotel and order food and drink (while in our bathing suit coverups).

I thought there were bathrooms (even for the public).

Please let me know if I am wrong.

I am docking at St. George and just googled St. Catherines and the beach doesn't look too nice. I understand I am too far from Horseshoe and that is fine since I have been there before.

I want a not too crowded beach (although I am going in July so I am sure I will be with the summer crowds), bathrooms, chairs and umbrellas along with being able to order food/drink.

Going with kids that are 14 and 10 but they don't need beach "toys".

Thank you.

The last time I was at Elbow Beach there was a vendor renting chairs and umbrellas. However they had some kind of deal with the hotel so you were not allowed to use them on the area of the beach in front of the hotel only off to the side. But of course that did not prevent one from using the beach in front of the hotel. You were not supposed to use the hotel bathrooms which are on their facilities at the beach. However I used them, discreetly of course. Local Bermudians of course use Elbow Beach since they drive there in a car and bring their own chairs, umbrellas, food and drink. All in all I like Horseshoe at lot better even though Horseshoe is more crowded. I don't think Horseshoe is that much farther than Elbow from St. George.

From St. George though I really suggest another South Shore beach which really is a lot closer than those others. That is John Smiths. A very beautiful pink sand beach. There is a bathroom although it is primitive. No chairs or umbrellas. If you need to keep out of the sun there are some caves. In July there will be lifeguards. So what you do is go there for two or three hours and on the way back to St. George you stop at the Swizzle Inn which is on the way for the food and drinks.

The last time I was at Elbow Beach there was a vendor renting chairs and umbrellas. However they had some kind of deal with the hotel so you were not allowed to use them on the area of the beach in front of the hotel only off to the side. But of course that did not prevent one from using the beach in front of the hotel. You were not supposed to use the hotel bathrooms which are on their facilities at the beach. However I used them, discreetly of course. Local Bermudians of course use Elbow Beach since they drive there in a car and bring their own chairs, umbrellas, food and drink. All in all I like Horseshoe at lot better even though Horseshoe is more crowded. I don't think Horseshoe is that much farther than Elbow from St. George.

From St. George though I really suggest another South Shore beach which really is a lot closer than those others. That is John Smiths. A very beautiful pink sand beach. There is a bathroom although it is primitive. No chairs or umbrellas. If you need to keep out of the sun there are some caves. In July there will be lifeguards. So what you do is go there for two or three hours and on the way back to St. George you stop at the Swizzle Inn which is on the way for the food and drinks.

Thank you. Can you recommend another beach on the South Shore. Having chairs and umbrealls is very important. I may bring my umbrealla since I am driving to the port but sitting on a towel on the beach isn't too relaxing for me.

I would prefer bathrooms (primitive ok, have been to the islands before), chair/umbrella food/drink, even if it is from a hut, doesn't have to be a restaurant and prefer it not be. I VERY MUCH appreciate your help! Thanks.

If you are in St. George's there are two beaches very close by which would both be great with kids!

Tobacco Bay--though small, it is nice for swimming--no waves, and fairly shallow way out. It has bathrooms, a snack shop and rentals, including snorkel, masks and fins (though with kids I would bring my own, expecially if you are driving to port--can get a nice set of all three in costco or bj's for like $30) and I would bring my own umbrella as well. Most places in Bermuda I paid $10/day to rent one, and then $10/day for the chair. I said next time I'd buy both (even at Bermuda prices) when I arrived and sell them the last day to some pale tourist for $20!! Tobacco Bay is not big, so if there is more than one ship in St. George's it could get quite crowded.

St. Catherine--lovely, lovely beach--right around the bend from Tobacco Bay. Bathrooms, bar, they sell food as well, and had a small band playing the day we were there. Rentals-yes. Again, great with kids because its fairly calm and shallow and really nice for snorkeling. Much longer than Tobacco Bay, so even if more poeple arrive, not as crowded.

That said, do not miss the chance to go to a South Shore Beach!! While I love John Smith's Bay--always less crowded than most, there are no rentals. They do usually have a lunch wagon there though.

As other posters have noted--you can enter Elbow Beach from the public road, from St. George's its a sharp left turn just past the resort entrance. There are rentals for chairs and umbrellas. I wandered over to the resort with wallet in hand and in a coverup, used their facilities and bought drinks (just remember--the food and beverages will be at high end resort prices) and there was no problem at all. You know they have to know tourists wander over from the public beach--but since they are spending money and not disturbing the guests I think its fine with them.

While I love Horseshoe Bay, and it has everything you are looking for, it is dreadfully crowded--and no matter where ships dock on the island their guests make their way to Horseshoe (be careful of the undertow there as well with the kids).

Beaches in St. Georges--no pink sand, but snorkeling right on the beach and great for kids. John Smiths Bay--a little pink sand, not much by Bermuda standards, nothing much to see snorkeling. Elbow and Horseshoe--great pink sand, not much snorkeling!!

You didn't mention how you are getting around--but there is a mini bus in St. George's $2 each person, each way to either Tobacco Bay or St. Catherine. It is walkable, but up and down hills on a hot summer day is not my idea of a fun stroll (especially carrying beach gear!). Someone else has mentioned walking over from there to Alexandria Battery for great sea glass--check it out!!

As far as South Shore--as many posters note, Bermuda's transportation system is extremely efficient, reliable and reasonable, you can get a pass for one or more days right near the dock. Greet your bus driver's and they will assist you on where to get off, etc.

When I went, I too drove to my port, and knew we'd be eating like kings on ship, and did not want to run back for lunch, so I took things like pringles and licorice for snacks for the beach. You are not allowed to bring any fruit or food off the ship, but they checked my bag and said no problem for the sealed packages of snacks. Not to be cheap, but if your cabin has a fridge, take waters or sodas for your kids and you can save a few there as well. It sounds cheap, but Bermuda has to import everything, so their grocery prices are double or more compared to the States! Gets expensive real quick traveling with kids!! It killed me on my last cruise to pay like $5 for a large bottle of cold water on your way out to the beach!!

Someone mentioned the Swizzle Inn on the way back to St. George's from the beach, there is also the Bailey's Bay Ice Cream Parlour right across from Swizzle which is not to be missed--their homemade ice cream is to die for!! ENJOY!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Wow- brzymom thanks for that breakdown, I am sailing the NCL majesty in August, where would I get the mini van in relationship to the ship?

The Mini-Shuttle service to Tobacco Bay or St.Catherine in St. George leaves from the town square. It is $3, not the $2 that brzymom stated. Also a taxi to to either of those beaches is about $7. That is for the whole taxi so if you are sharing a taxi is cheap. I always take a cab, not the shuttle to those beaches. Also it is not a bad walk so if you can walk I would walk it at least one way just to see a little more of Bermuda.

The Mini-Shuttle service to Tobacco Bay or St.Catherine in St. George leaves from the town square. It is $3, not the $2 that brzymom stated. Also a taxi to to either of those beaches is about $7. That is for the whole taxi so if you are sharing a taxi is cheap. I always take a cab, not the shuttle to those beaches. Also it is not a bad walk so if you can walk I would walk it at least one way just to see a little more of Bermuda.

The walk is very lovely. Walking through the narrow lanes to town just like it was over two hundred years ago. . .You can't really get lost either. . .

ok they raised the price of the mini bus to the beach--it was $2 a few years ago !! My last trip to Bermuda was not by cruise and we rented scooters, so I was not aware it went up!! SORRY!!

WALK there?? you can do as you wish, but if it were me--taxi or mini-bus. The last cruise we went on was in July. July and August are the hottest months in Bermuda--it is HOT--HUMID!!! I opted for the min bus, my DH and friends (diehard NY'ers--impatient to the max!!) decided it was ridiculous to wait for the mini bus. My Mom is Bermudian. I have spent many, many summers there and I knew better than to walk to the beach up and down hills in July.

So, me and my kids and some of our group are on the mini bus and we pass our little band of walking warriors on the hill--boy did they look miserable!! By the time they arrived at the beach 15-20 minutes later-we had cold beverages in hand and they were literally soaked with sweat!! Needless to say--they did not walk back--they took the mini bus with us!!!!

ok they raised the price of the mini bus to the beach--it was $2 a few years ago !! My last trip to Bermuda was not by cruise and we rented scooters, so I was not aware it went up!! SORRY!!

WALK there?? you can do as you wish, but if it were me--taxi or mini-bus. The last cruise we went on was in July. July and August are the hottest months in Bermuda--it is HOT--HUMID!!! I opted for the min bus, my DH and

The $3 price has been for a few years, I recall it was $3 the one time I took the bus which was in 2003, then I discovered might as well take a cab, no waiting on the bus and the price came out to about $1.50 each since we usually had at least four in the taxi, but who knows, it' is even possible the mini bus could be raised this year. The taxi fares just went up and the price of the Caves seems to go up every year. Things change from year to year! That is why we need fresh reports every year.

I have walked to those beaches a few times but I have never went in August so I expect you are right about the heat and humidity for that month. I usually go in June or September when the humidity is not bad. Last year I went in May and September. And instead of going to those beaches I took a taxi in September to John Smiths Bay while docked in St. George. Wonderful South Shore beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you. Can you recommend another beach on the South Shore. Having chairs and umbrealls is very important. I may bring my umbrealla since I am driving to the port but sitting on a towel on the beach isn't too relaxing for me.

Thanks.

No sitting on a towel for me either. I take a fold up beach chair. I have a sling type sand chair. Doesn't take up a lot of room and don't have to worry about a rental.

We also have one of those 'pop up' sun shades. Folds flat. May bring that with us, less bulky than an umbrella to carry.

DH and I are going in October. Thought it would be great to spend some time at the beach. Having to take a camera and some $ for the day, if you are both out in the water are there lockers or how do you keep your things safe?! Or is that something to worry about?

Here's what I'm planning on doing.

I have a very small Canon Powershot, put it in the smallest zip lock bag

and covertly cover it with some sand under the beach towel.

Money and sea pass will go in something like this.

safe.jpgMany times we will see others from our ship and ask them to watch our things if they're not going in the water.

Some will tell you they have never had a problem but any problems on Bermuda beaches are crimes of opportunity, so why give anyone the opportunity?;)

Archived