4 Tops for 2 in Anytime Dining: How Available?

caribcruiser787

We're looking forward to trying Anytime Dining, especially enjoying a table for two. Some people have mentioned being seated at a "four-top" that was set for two people. How common is this? Is it easy to get these, or is there some secret method for snagging one?

Just "grease the palm" and you won't have a problem :)
Never had to "grease the palm" they have always been very accomodating when we request a certain table if it is available. It helps if you know the table number that you want but you can always say "we'd like a round table for two only". The smaller tables are usually square and the tables for four are round. Many people with standing reservations make them at the 4 top tables so as the cruise goes on it might be harder to find ones that are available.

I guess some things never change, huh? :rolleyes:

It’s interesting the number of posts lately that are so surprised about tipping – personally, I feel it’s nice to say “thank you” in some tangible way for special favors. But I guess the real question is what is the objective of having a table for four people reserved for two? Doesn’t that mean that four people who could have sat at the table will have to wait? Are tables for two not large enough?

But I guess the real question is what is the objective of having a table for four people reserved for two? Doesn’t that mean that four people who could have sat at the table will have to wait? Are tables for two not large enough?
My guess is that they will have to wait and the table for two isn't big enough. It's all about "me."

We always request a table for 2 in Traditional Dining. We have tried to tip in advance, generally are refused -- and always tip after the fact, to show our appreciation for granting our request. Sometimes we have a table for 2, some times a table for 4, it depends on what's available and the location of tables. Sometimes the table for 2 location were less than desirable, i.e., near waiter station or high traffic area. In which case, we asked for a table for 4.

The table #s are changed a lot by the way, sometimes they simply move the numbers between tables.

It’s interesting the number of posts lately that are so surprised about tipping – personally, I feel it’s nice to say “thank you” in some tangible way for special favors. But I guess the real question is what is the objective of having a table for four people reserved for two? Doesn’t that mean that four people who could have sat at the table will have to wait? Are tables for two not large enough?

Totally agree with you that it is nice to say "thank you" for special favors but when 4 top tables are already set up in the dining room and readily available for parties of "two only" I don't consider seating some one, party of two, at one of them is a special favor just because they request to be seated there.

Four people do not have to wait if two are seated at these tables because the dining room plans for only two people to be seated at these tables. Now if a party of two wants a table planned for four changed just so they can sit there that would be a different story.

Have you ever seen many of those tables for two? They will work but it is almost impossible to get a cup and saucer on the table along with the other dishes, glasses, flatware, bread baskets, flowers, etc. Those round tables that they convert for two also have the same problem when four are seated at them.

We always request a table for 2 in Traditional Dining. We have tried to tip in advance, generally are refused -- and always tip after the fact, to show our appreciation for granting our request.
Tables for two in the Traditional dining room are a totally different story. Because of the extremely limited number I would consider that a special favor warranting a tip.

My husband and I much prefer to sit next to each other, rather than across from each other. It's easier to have an intimate conversation, and to cuddle a little. When he makes reservations for a special dinner (like tonight, when we celebrated 41 years of knowing each other), he always requests it. When we go to a restaurant without a reservation, we only ask if the restaurant isn't crowded.

On a cruise, we like a larger table so we can meet new people, but we still want to sit next to each other.

I was responding to a comment about "greasing the palm," assumably for preferential treatment. I wouldn't necessarily equate this with ordinary tipping but, my sarcasm notwithstanding, I definitely agree with showing one's appreciation with generous tipping.

My guess is that they will have to wait and the table for two isn't big enough. It's all about "me."

I'm a little confused. If there are tables for 4 that are already set for 2 people and someone avails themselves of this opportunity, how is this causing anyone else to wait? And how is seeking information on acquiring such a table anymore "all about me" than trying to get a nicer cabin or the myriad other tips that people share in these threads? I sure don't want to be selfish, :eek: but if there are nicer tables already available, I'm interested in knowing more about them!

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

My husband and I much prefer to sit next to each other, rather than across from each other. It's easier to have an intimate conversation, and to cuddle a little.

We're the same way. (Of course, we wouldn't ask them to remove the other place settings if people were waiting to eat!)

Thanks, happy cruzer. We usually eat early---around 6:00-6:30. I'm not sure how busy the dining rooms will be at that time.

If you get there just before dining room opens at 6:00, except on formal night, it isn't terribly busy on most cruises. If there is 2 anytime dining rooms one opens at 5:30 and for some reason, maybe since it is usually on deck 5, many people don't find it until around 7:00.

If you get there just before dining room opens at 6:00, except on formal night, it isn't terribly busy on most cruises. If there is 2 anytime dining rooms one opens at 5:30 and for some reason, maybe since it is usually on deck 5, many people don't find it until around 7:00.

Great! Thanks, BJS.

Archived