All Things Freedom of the Seas!

I wrote a lengthy review with quite a few pictures - click on the link in my signature, if you're interested. :)

Thanks! Great review and pics. Your kids are adorable! This was very helpful to me because I will be traveling with my 8 yr old DD. I know she will love it.

As for your stateroom question... If you want a central view, then go for 7283. In addition to the "best" view, you're unlikely to hear any noise from the 5th deck (except during parades/events when you're likely to hear some noise from the loud music, but it is short-lived).

Sounds like this is the way to go. Am still debating regarding whether to do a promenade, ocean view, or balcony. I'm a little concerned about the size of the promenade cabins, but it sounds like it worked out well for your with 2 to a room, which is what we will have as well. I figure the $ I save on the room is $ for extras on board, so I am still leaning toward promenade at this point.

Thanks! Great review and pics. Your kids are adorable! This was very helpful to me because I will be traveling with my 8 yr old DD. I know she will love it.

Sounds like this is the way to go. Am still debating regarding whether to do a promenade, ocean view, or balcony. I'm a little concerned about the size of the promenade cabins, but it sounds like it worked out well for your with 2 to a room, which is what we will have as well. I figure the $ I save on the room is $ for extras on board, so I am still leaning toward promenade at this point.

Thanks for the nice compliments and taking the time to check out my review. :) My girls had a wonderful time and continue to talk about our cruise. AND want to know when we're going on our next one. :)

The PR staterooms are not huge, but I was surprised that they didn't feel cramped. I think part of the reason is that there are two sitting areas - the sofa and the window seat. The addition of the window overlooking the Promenade keeps it open as well. As for storage space - there really is a lot, especially once you find all the hidden nooks and crannies. If I were on a very tight budget and it was allowed, I could have sailed with all 4 of us in the same room! (Although that would've been MUCH tighter on space!)

Honestly, you have to choose a stateroom based on your desire that meets your budget. ;) A balcony is wonderful and brings the ocean to your cabin, but they aren't cheap. I haven't tried an inside, but after trying the PR, I wouldn't hesitate to do that category again. Still not sure that I would do an inside unless it was a necessity. Regardless of which category you choose, you're going to have a fabulous time!!! And, as many people will tell you, you're really not in your cabin very often - not with so many things to do on the Freedom!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked Freedom for August 2011. Very excited as it will be the first time on Freedom (sailed Liberty last June) and first time sailing from Port Canaveral. Look forward to following this thread.

For those of you who have sailed on Freedom and then used RC's return transportation to the Orlando airport, could you tell me when the bus leaves the port? Our flight doesn't leave until about 2 pm so I don't want to rush to leave the ship in the morning. I'm hoping we have some time to enjoy the ship on that last day. TIA!

OMG! So excited,sial tomorrow on our first cruise.I have just looked at seapass and it says we are to board at 13.30hrs.Is it woth getting there any earlier or will we be turned away?Thanks

Unless their is an unusual holdup, you should be able to arrive between 11am to 11:30am and board around 11:30am.

Will do! Another question you may know the answer to,how far is it from Dollar car hire at Cape Canaveral to the port?

We live in Florida and drive over from our house, so I am not real sure where the Dollar car hire is, but Cape Canaveral isn't a really big town, so you are probably 15 minutes away at the most.

Hi all!

Denise ~ I had a 2:00 pm flight also & took the ship's transfer. I got disembarkation tags for around 7:30 which was way too early. When I went to the desk to change them for later the girl said there are the tags on the counter take the ones you want so I took 9:15 which worked out fine. I was one of the last people on that bus but I think they just fill them as people come but don't know when the last one would be.

Have a great cruise, I liked it so much last Nov. I've booked it again for this Nov. too just eastern instead of western.

~Jo~ :)

Have a few questions about the FOS. We are set to go in August and have a large family going. It will be 6 adults, and 3 kids- ages 4, 9, 14.

1. Are there any theme nights? How do I find out what/when?

2. Is Sorrento's free? If so, what sorts of things are offered there?

3. Is the ship pretty handicapped accessible? My 4 yr old has special needs and we will either be bringing her wheelchair/stroller. Pictures I see of the promenade seem to have many staircases. Are we going to be going out of our way a lot to hit elevators to navigate the ship?

4. We want to do many things as a family, but also want the kids to be able to have a good time doing what they want in the adventure ocean program. Does it seem that we can have both? I like things like the trivia games, or family game shows, etc. Will the younger kids be bored while we are participating? and is it even easy for us to participate?

5. I would love to hear any ideas for shore excursions (eastern caribbean). Things that would be easy for us to get away for a bit with the older children, but not too far away. OR what beaches are the best, esp. for my 4 yr old with special needs.

Thanks a lot!!

:DWe set sail May 1,2011...yippeeeeee

Jamaica is our favorite island of all the stops on the Western IT....

I have a very dear friend that will be on the FOS in July. He has promised me that he will send me copies of teh daily news...I will post them when I have them in hand.

II too would like to know the info on the cigar lounge?

Angela

Hi all!

Denise ~ I had a 2:00 pm flight also & took the ship's transfer. I got disembarkation tags for around 7:30 which was way too early. When I went to the desk to change them for later the girl said there are the tags on the counter take the ones you want so I took 9:15 which worked out fine. I was one of the last people on that bus but I think they just fill them as people come but don't know when the last one would be.

Have a great cruise, I liked it so much last Nov. I've booked it again for this Nov. too just eastern instead of western.

~Jo~ :)

Thanks for the quick answer Jo! I want to get to the airport as late as possible.

I have a very dear friend that will be on the FOS in July. He has promised me that he will send me copies of teh daily news...I will post them when I have them in hand.

Angela

Oh oh oh could you see if he could find out (maybe get a picture) about the updated menues?? We will be sailing in August and it will be our DD's first cruise . We were on FOS in August 06' but the menue has changed since then. I saw an "updated" one and it was very unapeeling! But then someone said it has change yet again. So I am hoping it ios more like the foods that we had back in 06' it was heavenly!!! Sorry about all the OH'S but I am SOoooo excited!

Have a few questions about the FOS. We are set to go in August and have a large family going. It will be 6 adults, and 3 kids- ages 4, 9, 14.

1. Are there any theme nights? How do I find out what/when?

2. Is Sorrento's free? If so, what sorts of things are offered there?

3. Is the ship pretty handicapped accessible? My 4 yr old has special needs and we will either be bringing her wheelchair/stroller. Pictures I see of the promenade seem to have many staircases. Are we going to be going out of our way a lot to hit elevators to navigate the ship?

4. We want to do many things as a family, but also want the kids to be able to have a good time doing what they want in the adventure ocean program. Does it seem that we can have both? I like things like the trivia games, or family game shows, etc. Will the younger kids be bored while we are participating? and is it even easy for us to participate?

5. I would love to hear any ideas for shore excursions (eastern caribbean). Things that would be easy for us to get away for a bit with the older children, but not too far away. OR what beaches are the best, esp. for my 4 yr old with special needs.

Thanks a lot!!

1. They have a 70's night, a Caribbean night, seems like a romance night. It is not really that heavily themed. The 70's would be the most themed, but it only last around an hour and its back to normal.

2. Sorrentos and the Cafe promenade are free. Sorrentos has pizza and a few other snacks. Cafe has sandwiches, cookies, cakes, etc.

3. There are 8 elevators on each end of the promenade. You will not have a problem finding them. Between all of the elevators, shouldn't have too hard of a time getting anywhere. They are busy at the busy times of the day though (dinner time/show time)

4. I think your kids would probably be bored at trivia (it is mainly adults), but it depends on the kids. They can participate on your time without a problem. We don't have kids, so I can't really speak to the rest.

5. We generally don't do too many excursions, so I can't help you there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Angela

When in July is he going? I will be on the July 18th sailing!!!!! YEAH!! If he's on our sailing tell him to come over to our roll call and say, "Hi!" Also ask him to sign up for the M&M! :)

1. They have a 70's night, a Caribbean night, seems like a romance night. It is not really that heavily themed. The 70's would be the most themed, but it only last around an hour and its back to normal.

2. Sorrentos and the Cafe promenade are free. Sorrentos has pizza and a few other snacks. Cafe has sandwiches, cookies, cakes, etc.

3. There are 8 elevators on each end of the promenade. You will not have a problem finding them. Between all of the elevators, shouldn't have too hard of a time getting anywhere. They are busy at the busy times of the day though (dinner time/show time)

4. I think your kids would probably be bored at trivia (it is mainly adults), but it depends on the kids. They can participate on your time without a problem. We don't have kids, so I can't really speak to the rest.

5. We generally don't do too many excursions, so I can't help you there.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, I was wondering about some of those things myself!

Edited by uncw89

This is a very useful thread. I'm glad I found it. Is there any other threads about Freedom that can be recommended that will be helpful to a first time Freedom cruiser? I just can't wait until the first time I'm on her. Thanks.

Here are a couple websites that focus on Freedom. This first is a ship's tour - I love it!!! Lots of pictures with some commentary.

http://www.beyondships.com/FOS.html

This is a personal website, but has great information. Their cruise was in 2006, but much of the information continues to be relevant.

http://www.thepreismans.com/Freedom.htm

Feel free to check out my review with PICTURES too - the link is in my signature.

Hope this keeps your excitment at its peak!!! :D

2. Is Sorrento's free? If so, what sorts of things are offered there? Just wanted to add that there are wonderful salads and such in the small case "outside" of Sorrento's - check it out! YUM!

3. Is the ship pretty handicapped accessible? My 4 yr old has special needs and we will either be bringing her wheelchair/stroller. Pictures I see of the promenade seem to have many staircases. Are we going to be going out of our way a lot to hit elevators to navigate the ship? We had a stroller for our son - not "special needs" in the typical sense, but had similar mobility issues. For the most part, getting around the ship was no problem. However, you will have to utilize the elevators. Thankfully, that wasn't a major deal most of the time. :) I will say that there were a few rude people that would walk right in front of us and get on the elevator without letting us on first, even though we were waiting. Oh well... it was a vacation and I refused to let it bother me for too long. ;)

OH - want to add - if you have special needs that require pre-planning, then contact Royal Caribbean so they may accomodate you.

4. We want to do many things as a family, but also want the kids to be able to have a good time doing what they want in the adventure ocean program. Does it seem that we can have both? I like things like the trivia games, or family game shows, etc. Will the younger kids be bored while we are participating? and is it even easy for us to participate? YES! :D Take advantage of the Adventure Ocean children's club when appropriate. It's great to have a break from the kids (and the kids from their parents). The Freedom is a family friendly ship in general, but there are several adult only events.