Windjammer

My DH and I are not big fans of getting dressed for dinner. We were thinking about just doing Johnny Rockets, Windjammer, etc. for dinner on LOS in Oct. Any tips on the windjammer would be great. We don't want to get dressed but we like the food in the dining room. Anyway to get the dinner via room service? Thanks

I'm the same way. I usually eat in the Winjammer every night for supper. It's a different atmosphere at night with the lights turned down and silverware on the tables. Its also nice not having to dress up at night and being able to eat when you are hungry versus a set time each evening.

Most of the same food from the dining room will be in the Windjammer. Some (if not all) will have alternating stir fry vegitables and create your own pasta at night as well. I love the cold fruit soups. I could live the entire cruise on them I think. They have ad different one each day of the cruise, strawberry bananna, apple, peach, etc.

The waiters that are in there have their own section that they are responsible for so depending on your mood you can sit in a different section each nigt and get to know a new person. We enjoyed sitting in the same section each night and getting to know the same person over the course of the cruise.

Only on "formal" nights do you need to "dress up"! All other nights are casual! A pair of capris and slacks for hubby are more than fine for all other nights in the dining room. If you choose to do the buffet or hamburgers everynight, you'll really be missing out--not just on the varied food, but on the great conversation and fun of your tablemates and the whole "dining" experience! It's not at all "stuffy"!

There's been lots of times that we've skipped the dining room in favor of WindJammer, Chops, Portefino and Johnny Rockets. This is because the early seating is too early and the late seating is too late depending on what we're doing either that day or the following morning. The atmosphere in WJ at night is really different than during the morning/lunch. MUCH quieter, a cocktail/wine/beer of your choice can ordered and brought to your table, you can take your time or get in, eat and get out! Enjoy your cruise.

By the way, the dining room isn't really that dressy and "formal night" doesn't mean you HAVE to wear a gown/tux.;)

I like the dining room atmosphere but I do always try to do one night at the Windjammer, just because it really is a different atmosphere than during the day. I can see how someone might be very happy eating there every night instead of the dining room.

I like to experience both of them! :)

A twist, however, when we choose to eat at the Windjammer I either call the main dining room Maitre d' or stop by as a courtesy to have the Maitre d' inform our regular Wait staff that we will not be joining them. That way they can inform our table mates and not worry that we might be running late. It is a small courtesy, but I am sure appreciated... (we were once on a cruise with tablemates from the UK who showed up, LITERALLY, 45 minutes to 1 hour late for the first seating consistently and it threw everyone into a tizzy.) Letting your wait staff know that you are tired/sunburned/just want to not have a 2 hour dinner and to not expect you but that you can't wait to see them tomorrow is the least you can do :rolleyes:

We never eaten dinner in windjammer, but will be doing so this cruise. Does the waiter bring you drinks....beer, mixed or frozen drinks or do you go to the nearst bar and get them yourself?

Yes. The wiaters will even bring you wine in the Windjammer at night and keep the bottle for you if you don't drink it all. They put your name and room number on it.

My DH and I are not big fans of getting dressed for dinner. We were thinking about just doing Johnny Rockets, Windjammer, etc. for dinner on LOS in Oct. Any tips on the windjammer would be great. We don't want to get dressed but we like the food in the dining room. Anyway to get the dinner via room service? Thanks

You can get away with Kakhi pants and a nice polo shirt 5 of the 7 days. (Just leave the ball cap in the cabin.

So is Portofino's and the main dining room different places? If they are different restaurants, are the formal nights in the main dining room or at Portofino's? Thanks! Oh, and I guess you can skip you're scheduled dinner in the main dining room to eat elsewhere? It doesn't cost anything to skip?

bek, no they dont penalize and charge you for not having dinner in the dining room, but you pay a surcharge for Portofino or Chops (nominal @ JR's- $3.95 and $25pp at Portofinos I don t know about Chops) Also, on sails longer than 7 nights there is also smart casual evenings.

Formal night is in the main dining room. If you chose Portofino on formal night- I have seen folk dressed both formal and smart casual, so its up to your comfort zone! Enjoy your cruise!

So is Portofino's and the main dining room different places? If they are different restaurants, are the formal nights in the main dining room or at Portofino's? Thanks! Oh, and I guess you can skip you're scheduled dinner in the main dining room to eat elsewhere? It doesn't cost anything to skip?

Windjammer is a RCL buffet that is no extra cost. Portofinos and Chops are available on the larger RCL ships and have an extra pp cost of $25 average which includes gratuity...most of us add extra since the service is so wonderful. Eating in the dining room is also a nice experience however, you will usually be assigned to eat with other guests. WJ, Portofino and Chops allows you to sit at a table for two...if you choose.

I might get flamed for it, but I'm one of the bums that goes to dinner in jeans. Now, before the fire gets too warm.. I go in black jeans, rather than blue, and I put on a polo shirt. It's the same attire I go to work in so it's easy and comfortable. Doesn't get any glares either, except for the odd dowdy nose-in-the-air socialite that is too busy critiquing everyone else to enjoy the cruise. Phooey! I merely laugh and go my way with a smile.

If you skip out on the dining room, you will miss what can be a very interesting part of your cruise. On our first cruise, my wife and I were the only Americans at a table for eight! We had four Brazilians and a Swedish couple. The whole group had an absolute blast. Everybody spoke English (which is the norm) and there was always good conversation throughout the week. Take my advice and don't skip out on the dining room if you can help it. It's a bit of an adventure all by itself.

We paid $20.00 each at Portofino's on our recent Voyager cruise (January 2008) and it is well worth the price. The staff, individual attention, and food are excellent. I could have eaten there every night if I had known how good it really was.

Archived