What is a FULL ship like?

cpgrneyes

We're sailing on 7/4 on the Millennium, and as of today, all suites, veranda cabins (except CC) and ocean view suites are sold out. It appears we'll have a very full ship, and I'm wondering how that will play out.

The big excursions are already booked (helicopter glacier landing, salmon fishing charter, float plane), so we should be okay there, but I'm wondering how the ship will feel.

I also booked a spa package, but can't confirm any times until we board and am concerned that I'll end up with reservations when I can't use them (our excursions are booked independently).

Any tips?

To answer your question.....It will be the same as any other M class ship you've sailed on.

RCL runs an average of 104% occupancy. In the cruising industry, any cabin with more than 2 people is considered above 100%. Simply put, on average, RCL/X sails their ships at least 100% on average.

I would venture to say that there is a negligible difference when a ship is only running 95% occupancy vs 100%. After all, that is only approx 102 people out of 2,034capacity.

My cruise on the Millie on January was full, and I honestly didn't feel crowded at all. About 50 cabins were empty after the Dom Republic (I had no idea passengers could even leave mid cruise) and it didn't feel any less full.

It is pretty common that the ships sell at or near full capacity. Fortunately the ships are large enough with so many public rooms that they rarely feel crowded (except maybe finding a chair near the pool during a sea day).

When you first board, head to the spa. They are typically open during embarkation. Many people are busy heading for lunch, exploring the ship, having a drink, or going to the pool. If you make the spa your first visit, you should be able to book the days/times you'd like for your treatments.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

It's a difficult question because there's full and FULL. It depends upon the individual occupation of the cabins. If most are duel occupancy then it really isn't that full, even if all the cabins are sold out. If there are a number of cabins which include triple or maximum four occupancy then that will make a difference.

From personal experience I have been on ships when it has been sold out well before the cruise and it really hasn't been too bad. We were on Century during Spring Break and it was busy, but even then I thought the ship coped very well with the traffic. I'm not a lover of the pool deck, but if you like to be around that area then watch out for them chair hogs;)

Edit: I missed any tips. If you don't have a balcony cabin you can hold up in and you want to sit outside I have always found the Promenade Deck relatively unused and it's a nice spot for reading a book, having a dose and just watching the water go past:cool:

Phil

Thanks - I had no idea the ships ran full all the time, guess I thought our sailing was just special (which I am confident it will be)!!!

Since we'll be in Alaska, I doubt there will be much fighting for pool lounges, and since we live in Los Angeles, we should be fine with the crowds.

Now I just have to get the grown stepkids in line to pony up a little extra $$$ for the Olympic Restaurant one night....

Edit: I missed any tips. If you don't have a balcony cabin you can hold up in and you want to sit outside I have always found the Promenade Deck relatively unused and it's a nice spot for reading a book, having a dose and just watching the water go past:cool:

Phil

Actually, when I checked on the website a few weeks ago, suddenly a corner FV appeared which I grabbed immediately! We should have plenty of room for the plenty of "doses" we'll be indulging in.

We're sailing on 7/4 on the Millennium, and as of today, all suites, veranda cabins (except CC) and ocean view suites are sold out. It appears we'll have a very full ship, and I'm wondering how that will play out.

The big excursions are already booked (helicopter glacier landing, salmon fishing charter, float plane), so we should be okay there, but I'm wondering how the ship will feel.

I also booked a spa package, but can't confirm any times until we board and am concerned that I'll end up with reservations when I can't use them (our excursions are booked independently).

Any tips?

The spa appointments will be left on your room door. If they conflict, just head up the spa. They will work you on scheduling around your excursions if there are conflicts.

Our Constellation cruise was sold out practically a month in advance, so I'm assuming it was full. We never felt crowded. I think this is the part where Celebrity shines with their passenger/space ratio- you don't feel it nearly as much as you would on RCCL or Carnival.

Actually, when I checked on the website a few weeks ago, suddenly a corner FV appeared which I grabbed immediately! We should have plenty of room for the plenty of "doses" we'll be indulging in.

You are so lucky. You will love that corner FV for Alaska. They are great cabins. I'd hazard a guess that if that one came up late in the day then there won't be too many families on board, but you'll have lots of space to spread out in anyway. Who needs the pool deck?;) We'll be on Infinity to Alaska in June and I am very much looking forward to the experience:cool:

Phil

Your particular cruise may show "Sold Out" right now...but right around final payment time, some cabins that had been previously reserved or held by travel agents, may pop up.

As Phil mentioned, some ships that are actually full, seem VERY full, depending on the itinerary, and some still have a spacious feel about them. Each cruise has it's own experience.

Karyn

Our Thanksgiving cruise on Century in 2006 was sold out and many families were traveling. It was the only time I have experienced overcrowding on a Celebrity vessel.

I imagine the M class ships will handle the crowds better. My Infinity sailing was not a full ship and there was never a crowded feeling. I prefer the M class for several reasons and the spaciousness is one of them.

Thanks - I had no idea the ships ran full all the time, guess I thought our sailing was just special (which I am confident it will be)!!!

Since we'll be in Alaska, I doubt there will be much fighting for pool lounges, and since we live in Los Angeles, we should be fine with the crowds.

Know where those otherwise deck chair hogs will be since they can't be outside? At the T pool!

I never felt crowded on Summit the first time. The second time we had late dinner seating and had to walk thru the throngs of dancers in the lounges outside the dining room. THAT felt crowded. We learned which elevator to take to avoid that crowd.

It also depends on 'who' is on the ship.

If your cruise is full of kids and younger people, then areas like the pool and such will feel very crowded. On our last cruise it seemed to be mostly retirees (my wife and I are 30/32), so those areas were almost empty!

Archived