I need more suggestions for a BOOK to read

sklja

I too am looking for a good/great book to read on the cruise I will be taking....

I have read most of the chick lit books including A is for, B is for...Stepanie Plum novels, shopaholic books, light books etc. Although I must say, I have loved them all and will continue reading them at a future date....I read all the Grisham books too which I liked and read Davinci Code and the others too.

I am looking for something that maybe is not such a quick read but will keep me interested without being bored. I like mystery, with a bit of romance, maybe historical or being placed in a "period" time. I don't mind if the book is long either...

thanks

sklja

The Time Traveler's Wife is an intruiging and well written book.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers-Wife-Audrey-Niffenegger/dp/015602943X

On the flip side , The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life, is hysterical!

http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-Girls-Action-Adventure-Club-Magnificent/dp/0375760911/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205957882&sr=1-1

My DW is a big time reader and on our last vacation she brought a book she had already read. She reluctantly agreed to read a book I had just finished " Where is Joe Merchant " by Jimmy Buffet. To her surprise she found it facinating.

James Patterson books are always pretty addicting for me. Women's Murder Club (1st to die, 2nd chance, etc.) or "You've Been Warned," "The Quickie" etc. I haven't read any of the 'Alex Cross' series yet because the stand alone books are so darn good.

OH! And several of my friends (including me) have read Carl Hiaasen's book "Skinny Dip" and loved it. It's long, fun, a bit of a mystery and some romance, humorous, and perfect for a cruise. (The book opens on a cruise ship...)

I picked up a couple more of the Carl Hiaasen books for my next cruise. :)

I would go for his books more than the Patterson ones because I devour the Patterson ones TOO quick. :o

I like anything by Harlen Coben and Sandra Brown is good as well. Also Tess Gerritson (medical type thrillers...heroine is a ME). Good luck...I'm looking tomorrow when I go shopping with my mom for her Bday.

I read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen and thought it was a great easy read. Very funny. Appropriate for a cruise! :)

Here's a short blurb from a review:

''Skinny Dip'' gets off to a flying start: in its first paragraph, a woman is thrown off the deck of a cruise ship by her spectacularly good-for-nothing husband, Chaz Perrone. The incident occurs near a supposedly unspoiled island, where the landscape is ''pocked with hulks of sunken drug planes, and the only shells to be found along the tree-shorn beach were of the .45-caliber variety.'' The book abounds in nonchalantly perfect lines like that, apparent throwaways in which every word happens to be expertly chosen.

I also like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.....again, easy fun reading....great for a vacation.

If you like sassy chick lit I'd recommend Jennifer Crusie. She's written many great books that I've enjoyed. . . Don't Look Down, Faking It, or Agnes and the Hitman, to name a few. Don't Look Down had a great love story in it, but she also co-wrote it with Bob Mayer (former Green Beret) so there's lots of guns and explosions in it too. The book had me off my seat! :D

If you like sweet love stories, I'd recommend Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson. It's not one of his typical mystery novels but an endearing story about a grandmother helping her granddaughter get over the loss of her husband to find love again.

For a period piece I'd highly recommend Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. It's a very long book, 973 pages, but I got through it in 3 weeks because I could not put it down. It takes place in 18th century England and it's a very easy book to read. Lots of intrigue, suspence and romance.

Happy reading and I hope my suggestions helped! :)

A very good read is a book by Robert McCammon called Speaks the Nightbird. It is a longer book too. He writes very well. The book has a follow up (but a stand alone book) called The Queen of Bedlam.

Check out Amazon for some reviews.

I'm used to reading 100's of pages of academia crap so when I am on vacation I love to read "true trash" books..as in the erotic kinds of books that make you blush. For me it's a real escape and and humorous. However, they are not for the faint hearted and be sure you have a darling sweetheart handy if you start sweating too much :)

For a period piece I'd highly recommend Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. It's a very long book, 973 pages, but I got through it in 3 weeks because I could not put it down. It takes place in 18th century England and it's a very easy book to read. Lots of intrigue, suspence and romance.

Have you read his sequel yet? "World Without End". If you liked the first one, you will REALLY like the second one.

Have you read his sequel yet? "World Without End". If you liked the first one, you will REALLY like the second one.

Actually, I have World Without End sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read. I've heard great things about this one too. It will be the next book I read once I get through all my Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic books :D I've just recently discovered her and love her humor! Her books are so much fun to read!

A very good read is a book by Robert McCammon called Speaks the Nightbird. It is a longer book too. He writes very well. The book has a follow up (but a stand alone book) called The Queen of Bedlam.

Check out Amazon for some reviews.

He wrote an excellent book called Swan Song, also a longer book but so worth the read:)

My DW is a big time reader and on our last vacation she brought a book she had already read. She reluctantly agreed to read a book I had just finished " Where is Joe Merchant " by Jimmy Buffet. To her surprise she found it facinating.

DH and my BFF got hooked on my Jimmy Buffett books - "Where is Joe Merchant" was great.

"Tales from Margaritaville" is a great group of short stories.

And "A Salty Piece of Land" was excellent.

They just seem appropriate on the sea.

Other good ones include "The Last Templar" and "The Kite Runner".

DH and my BFF got hooked on my Jimmy Buffett books - "Where is Joe Merchant" was great.

"Tales from Margaritaville" is a great group of short stories.

And "A Salty Piece of Land" was excellent.

They just seem appropriate on the sea.

Other good ones include "The Last Templar" and "The Kite Runner".

my favorite is "Don't stop the Carnival" by Herman Wouk (CD by Jimmy Buffett), the Caribbean bible!

The Other Boleyn Girl was a great read for me on my last vacation... I am planning on reading either Pillars of the Earth or Innocent Traitor on my cruise in May.

I have been way behind in my reading... I have two books saved up for my cruise. Right now I am reading Wicked, the true story of the wicked witch of the west....

When I travel or cruise I like the nice easy reads that I don't have to concentrate too hard on :D. For cruisers, I always recommend Alisa Allan's books, www.AlisaAllan.com. She has 6 of them and all are the perfect nice, easy, beach read type books and all of them feature a cruise to someplace, which makes them that much better.:p

If you enjoy Janet Evanovich, you would enjoy Sandra Hill's, Jinx series, they are laugh-out-loud funny, same zany humour.

For a bit of history and romance you could try the Outlander series by Dianna Gabaldon, they're quite long books but very hard to put down.

There is a really good 3 book series by Krya Davis about an author named Sophie Katz and her zany group of friends. Sort of mystry/murder type books. They are a really good read. Started one of them on the plane and could hardly put it down. Finished it before the end of the cruise. Should have brought the other 2.

Archived